Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #436
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYwoodsrider View Post
It's a Sargent seat. I think it's comfortable enough for an all day ride. For a multi day ride like this I like the Walmart seat cushion for a little extra padding. It also works good around the campfire.
I just change my tires depending on the type of riding. I do have a Cycle Hill tire change which makes it a lot easier.

I just read this entire thread from start to here. It has lost it's way for quite a while, but is turning back into a touring discussion again.

I'm supposed to do the Blue Ridge Parkway with several family members this Sept. Everyone else has a "real" streetbike. My DR650 will do it, but I was thinking about picking up a cheap streetbike for around $2500-3000. Do you think I will be better off, just buying a seat and putting the stock Trailwings on and putting the 15tooth sprocket on and riding it and saving $2000 ?

I'm hoping that I can convince everyone to do the hotel thing, as I don't want to put a bunch of weight on my bike so I can be aggressive in the twisties.

as is:

Cogent shock w/ stock spring, RaceTech Cartridge Emulators w/ .46 springs and a DJ jet kit, cut airbox and I put the stock silencer back on recently.

I have the stock tires and also a set of brand new Metz Karoos. (I have an extra 18" rear wheel)

What advice can you peeps give me?
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #437
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,773
Rusty...I would recommend a set of Shinko 705s, a windshield, and a better seat...then go riding. Also, I see no reason to change the sprocket. My 14t on my DR did fine 2-up on the mountain highways. I believe the BRP is posted 45 MPH anyway
2005 FJR1300 - "my Blue Angel"
My Twins are Twins!
1992 TDM850 - "Ginger" & 1993 TDM850 - "Raven"
clocklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #438
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I just read this entire thread from start to here. It has lost it's way for quite a while, but is turning back into a touring discussion again.

I'm supposed to do the Blue Ridge Parkway with several family members this Sept. Everyone else has a "real" streetbike. My DR650 will do it, but I was thinking about picking up a cheap streetbike for around $2500-3000. Do you think I will be better off, just buying a seat and putting the stock Trailwings on and putting the 15tooth sprocket on and riding it and saving $2000 ?

I'm hoping that I can convince everyone to do the hotel thing, as I don't want to put a bunch of weight on my bike so I can be aggressive in the twisties.

as is:
Cogent shock w/ stock spring, RaceTech Cartridge Emulators w/ .46 springs and a DJ jet kit, cut airbox and I put the stock silencer back on recently.
I have the stock tires and also a set of brand new Metz Karoos. (I have an extra 18" rear wheel)

What advice can you peeps give me?
Well threads do wander from time to time ... just the way it goes. Overall, the thread reads pretty well except for an excursion into Weenie Girlie boots and gross Tibia breaks. So now its back on track? Uh huh.

A weekend family ride and buying a new bike ... other than the DR650?
Oh yea, that's on topic!

Be sure to post pics of the BBQ and Potato salad and your aunt Mildred on the Gold Wing pulling the trailer.
Cheap Street bike? You own one. I ride with fast street bikes riders all the time and rarely get left behind. On twisty, technical roads, I pass them. In dirt, they buy the Beer. (for help picking up their heaps) Switch tires, get a seat and go.

I re-discovered a really good build thread today that anyone planning a real adventure ride should check out. (Remember, this is Adventure Rider:
Ride The World!) ??? Some great ideas with great pics for anyone setting up to tour on the DR650 over the long term. Some great ideas ... some not so great. But all interesting and worth a look:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712386

Motodavid up and disappeared ... probably recaptured by BMW GS Devils ... from whence he came. His thread ends abruptly ... with no hint of where this guy went. This is a guy with a Garage full of Lamborgini's, Ferrari's and Porsche's. I'd love to go RTW with him. Can you imagine it?
Helio flies in lunch and cold Beer everyday? Full Semi full of parts and a world class mechanic and Doctor? Full Film Crew in tow. Not bad! Where do I sign up. (I'll be the Kibitzer!)
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #439
TRAVELGUY
Old Traveler

Oddometer: 575
MotoDavid is alive and well. Has been a really good friend to me. His bike is basically set up to do the trip but has been totally consumed in his business. He will get to do the trip someday. He is one of the greatest guys I have ever meet. He travels solo. No support crew.
TravelGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Well threads do wander from time to time ... just the way it goes. Overall, the thread reads pretty well except for an excursion into Weenie Girlie boots and gross Tibia breaks. So now its back on track? Uh huh.

A weekend family ride and buying a new bike ... other than the DR650?
Oh yea, that's on topic!

Be sure to post pics of the BBQ and Potato salad and your aunt Mildred on the Gold Wing pulling the trailer.
Cheap Street bike? You own one. I ride with fast street bikes riders all the time and rarely get left behind. On twisty, technical roads, I pass them. In dirt, they buy the Beer. (for help picking up their heaps) Switch tires, get a seat and go.

I re-discovered a really good build thread today that anyone planning a real adventure ride should check out. (Remember, this is Adventure Rider:
Ride The World!) ??? Some great ideas with great pics for anyone setting up to tour on the DR650 over the long term. Some great ideas ... some not so great. But all interesting and worth a look:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712386

Motodavid up and disappeared ... probably recaptured by BMW GS Devils ... from whence he came. His thread ends abruptly ... with no hint of where this guy went. This is a guy with a Garage full of Lamborgini's, Ferrari's and Porsche's. I'd love to go RTW with him. Can you imagine it?
Helio flies in lunch and cold Beer everyday? Full Semi full of parts and a world class mechanic and Doctor? Full Film Crew in tow. Not bad! Where do I sign up. (I'll be the Kibitzer!)
DR650 '07
TRAVELGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #440
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Cheap Street bike? You own one. Switch tires, get a seat and go.
Short and to the point. Thanks Grifter you are a man of few words.

Everyone else on this ride has GSXR's CBRR, etc. The lowliest bike is my 67 y.o. uncle's Versys. These guys are the types who go to track days. They also happen to be family members.Cousins, brother-in-laws, brothers, uncles. No BBQ pics, even though all Ride Reports seem to have food pics.

I just happen to be the only off road rider in the whole fam damnly. My DR is modded to be as dirt worty as my KTM. Only had one streetbike in my life and that was over 30 years ago.

I just would like to not be the last guy that everyone is waiting for at all the turns.

and as far as pullin' a trailer, you're the only one pulling something here.

Quit bein' such a troll
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Old 05-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #441
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVELGUY View Post
MotoDavid is alive and well. Has been a really good friend to me. His bike is basically set up to do the trip but has been totally consumed in his business. He will get to do the trip someday. He is one of the greatest guys I have ever meet. He travels solo. No support crew.
TravelGuy
Great to hear that! If he ever gets on the road I'd like to sign up to be his Man Servant. I could just ride along behind ... well out of view ... and if anything goes wrong, jump in to help!

More Great DR650 Travel reports:

Airborne Andy has a couple great reports, a couple on crossing the Darien Gap and his S. American ride. Both worth reading. Andy is an EXPERT traveler from what I've seen. His set up is pretty light and creative. Looks like he has everything he needs.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=792011
Darien Gap thread

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627428
Main Latin America report
Old 05-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #442
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,622
I'm just getting around to reading this thread finally. I had planned on taking my DR on a 2 week trip this past month to the Smokies and Ozarks. Changed my mind and ended up taking the Tiger instead and I'm glad I did. Just did a 3 day weekend on the DR and I've got to change that seat out before considering longer trips. Otherwise I can actually carry more on the DR as it's set up and the seat replacement is the next upgrade on the list. I want to be able to use this bike for longer trips and it's almost there.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #443
NC Rick
Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer: 599
Rusty R With decent tires the DR will do the parkway at any reasonable (or even unreasonable) pace. I am not a distance road rider but I took my DR our on a ride with a couple buddies this past weekend where we did an out and back trip of 575 miles in just more than 24 hours (with an overnight stop). Have my Corbin seat and big tank. The other guys were on a KTM RC8 and an Aprilia Falco. I may have been the most comfortable of the three of us. While the highway can, the Parkway will not over tax the DR motor with good gearing. I have 5 track days on the DR now (4 with Motard type wheels)

Be sure to stop in for a visit when you ride by!
NC Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:10 PM   #444
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
I'm just getting around to reading this thread finally. I had planned on taking my DR on a 2 week trip this past month to the Smokies and Ozarks. Changed my mind and ended up taking the Tiger instead and I'm glad I did. Just did a 3 day weekend on the DR and I've got to change that seat out before considering longer trips. Otherwise I can actually carry more on the DR as it's set up and the seat replacement is the next upgrade on the list. I want to be able to use this bike for longer trips and it's almost there.

Looks like you've got some sort of Gel Pad on there. I know many riders like the various "strap on" pads for seats ... but I'm not fond of them. For me, they lack that secure feeling under me and squirm around a fair bit. Very distracting when riding at speed through corners. Some riders aren't bothered by this at all. I like a solid platform, helps my sense of balance.
YMMV.

I think you'll like the DR650 better on the road with a "real" seat. I have a Leather covered Corbin (firm) but many are happy with the other brands out there. Lots of positive reports. I've managed many 400 mile days with minimal fatigue. (considering!)

For long rides and ultimate smoothness and less vibration, the drive line on the DR really likes to be set up "Just Right". A healthy chain and new-ish sprockets really do make a difference. Also, new rear hubb Cush Drive Rubbers really smooth out the driveline on long rides, less low frequency grinding returns to rider.

I was also impressed with the effect my Pro Taper Alu Fat Bars did to the vibes when used with bark busters. Vibes not too bad at all on the bars ... better than stock steel bar ... even with Bar Ends fitted.

I have a 1050 Tiger too. Love it. The DR will never match the Tiger for silky smoothness at 100 mph, but if well set up its smoother than many non DR riders realize.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #445
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,367
I was surprised at how much the bar end weights contributed to the smoothness of the DR650. I took them off to put barkbusters on and a bunch of vibration intruded. Still running the stock handlebar. Since my DR650 is now my primary touring bike, I put a 16-tooth front sprocket on it and it is now smooth at 70 again.

This configuration...a firm Corbin seat with sheepskin seat cover...makes my DR650 the most comfortable bike I've ever owned...at speeds under 70. A big headwind or higher speeds renders it uncomfortable without a windshield. I don't like windshields, so I just ride slower.

Got two sets of wheels, so I can go from knobbies to highway tires in 15 minutes or so.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #446
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,408
I ride with sport bikes occasionally with the DR650. I can't keep up when they start exceeding the speed limits, but on a twisty road I usually lead since I get sick of riding the brakes in the tight stuff. In the sweepers, they lead since they like to exit fast with the stupid fun HP a liter bike puts out...

The fun part is when you explore the gravel areas, the water fall trail heads and such. The DR650 with bags is so easy to handle, I don't miss taking my FJR onto forestry roads while camping. Once the sucker is set up for touring, it can get addictive.

My DR650 has much longer legs though, the DS lets you slide around and change position. I sold my other bikes, so I would vote for putting the money into the DR650 for the trip. Shinko 705's are great for long rides on mostly pavement. Seat Concepts has a quick and easy saddle solution at a good price. You could add saddle bags easily, with 2K to spend the Wolfman set ups would be easy to do and under budget. A $65 spitfire screen is simple to put on. The 14T CS works fine while touring, I tend to stick with the 15T when I'm doing lots of interstate. But it doesn't really matter.

One you get the DR650 set up with a wider seat and some wind protection it will tour great. They don't vibrate like other thumpers, with my Protapers the vibration in the grips is very light even at 80 mph. I ride all the time with ST guys, I don't get left behind. I really like having a big fuel tank on the bike, when I ride with my ST1300 buddy we stop every 330 miles or so for fuel. His tank is smaller than mine....

I would put the money into the DR650, make sure the fuel system is 100%, clean filters, good chain, fresh mild tires, some bags of some kind, maybe a rear duffle on a wide rack etc... a bit of wind protection, aftermarket seat.... That won't even come close to $2,000...

My touring set up:

sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #447
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Rick View Post

Be sure to stop in for a visit when you ride by!
Thanks for the invite, I forgot that you'd be so close. (lovin' my shock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
I would vote for putting the money into the DR650 for the trip. Shinko 705's are great for long rides on mostly pavement. Seat Concepts has a quick and easy saddle solution at a good price.
One you get the DR650 set up with a wider seat and some wind protection it will tour great. I ride with my ST1300 buddy we stop every 330 miles or so for fuel. His tank is smaller than mine....

I would put the money into the DR650, make sure the fuel system is 100%, clean filters, good chain, fresh mild tires, some bags of some kind, maybe a rear duffle on a wide rack etc... a bit of wind protection, aftermarket seat.... That won't even come close to $2,000...
Thanks Sage: Some good ideas here. I'm convinced to do it on my DR now. I got a PM from soboy, reminding me that speeding tickets in VA can be $1000. Don't need 1000cc to go 45mph.

Rusty Rocket screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 03:39 PM
Old 05-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #448
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Thanks for the invite, I forgot that you'd be so close. (lovin' my shock)

Thanks Sage: Some good ideas here. I'm convinced to do it on my DR now. I got a PM from soboy, reminding me that speeding tickets in VA can be $1000. Don't need 1000cc to go 45mph.
I do better on the DR650 in VA, have not gotten a ticket on it yet. I think it draws less attention. On the BRP I would get flashed for 50 riding a ST bike. On the DR I can get away with more.

Plus, 45/50 mph on say 16 north of Marion is a brisk pace and fun on a thumper. Never seen speed enforcement around Marion so far within reason. I've been on loud and fast bike for years but, I do find the thumper very fun with just mild DS tires. I also have found that loud bikes get you noticed. I think even the gsxr exhaust raises more heads in small towns. But, I was sick of the stock exhaust.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #449
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,622
Quote:
Looks like you've got some sort of Gel Pad on there. I know many riders like the various "strap on" pads for seats ... but I'm not fond of them. For me, they lack that secure feeling under me and squirm around a fair bit. Very distracting when riding at speed through corners. Some riders aren't bothered by this at all. I like a solid platform, helps my sense of balance.
YMMV.

I think you'll like the DR650 better on the road with a "real" seat. I have a Leather covered Corbin (firm) but many are happy with the other brands out there. Lots of positive reports. I've managed many 400 mile days with minimal fatigue. (considering!)

For long rides and ultimate smoothness and less vibration, the drive line on the DR really likes to be set up "Just Right". A healthy chain and new-ish sprockets really do make a difference. Also, new rear hubb Cush Drive Rubbers really smooth out the driveline on long rides, less low frequency grinding returns to rider.

I was also impressed with the effect my Pro Taper Alu Fat Bars did to the vibes when used with bark busters. Vibes not too bad at all on the bars ... better than stock steel bar ... even with Bar Ends fitted.

I have a 1050 Tiger too. Love it. The DR will never match the Tiger for silky smoothness at 100 mph, but if well set up its smoother than many non DR riders realize.
The seat pad is just a Walmart Coleman cheapo. I actually took it off last night. I think the stock seat is more comfortable without it.
Put a new chain and sprockets on last year and replaced the cush rubber this winter.
I need to ride another DR to make sure mine is up to par. Going back and forth between the Tiger and DR is an easy transition but the vibes on the DR make me wonder if I've got it set up right or not.
Gotta get a new seat, no question about it. Didn't bother me last year but it is now.
Got a great deal on the HT panniers and rack and it holds a ton of crap (camping gear all fits in one). But I'd feel more comfortable with soft bags. I just rode with them for the first time this past weekend and a few times my calf hit the can lightly on startup. I could see bad things happening with a foot down on dirt while moving. Just have to keep my feet on the pegs.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #450
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Awakening this thread....

Im going on a big trip with my DR in 5 weeks, with my girlfriend on the back. She mentioned to me (innocently... I think lol) That my sargent seat is not comfortable, and she really wished I still had the V-strom for this trip (she still rides the DR with me, a lot). When I had my v-strom and before I had my sargent, I dry fitted the Vee's seat, and it fit...sorta. It needs brackets for the plastics, and to hold the seat to the frame, but it does look like it will fit.

Needless to say i took her hint and bought a V-strom seat on ebay for $60. Im going to try and fit it to the DR. As my DR never sees dirt, I don't care about being able to move back and forth, or the width.

I"ll keep you guys posted as to how it goes, and what needs to be done. If this works, it really opens up the DR to many other seat options.

PS: Forgot to take a pic this morning when I left of the DR with the vee seat on top... i will post later
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote