User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #466
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
more pics...

I had the seat off this morning trying to mount the "tank case" Here are a few pics of what I had to cut, and what brackets I made:

Front:

Back:

Middle (cut out is where battery rests):

Tank case:

The pelican case is very small, only enough room for a toll pass or wallet, its just something to fill that space on the tank. I still have to figure out what to do under the pelican case. I may do some fabric work to just cover that whole area.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #467
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Excuse the ugly bugger in the photo but If you want a real comfy seat they can be made from using the stock seat base. This is a pic of my custom DR seat. The base is 3" longer than stock as I have a pillion most of the time. The foam and cover was done by http://www.day-long.com/ This is the version 2 seat. The first was done here in NZ but I hated that. I looked at the Russel site, saw their seat for a KTM 690 and said "I want 1 like that for my DR". I love it. It makes the bike feel a bit taller as its wide but I also have modified suspension. I can live with a tall mseat height for a seat I can sit on all day
More side pics! Or one with you sitting on it. Please. Thanks.
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #468
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
Don't have any pics just showimg the seat and I can't take any as the bike is on the way to the US, but heres a couple which show it ok.

Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #469
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Don't have any pics just showimg the seat and I can't take any as the bike is on the way to the US, but heres a couple which show it ok.

Thanks Phil for the pics. It gives me something to think about. What was the price range and how long did it take them to ship it to you?
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #470
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,014
I put 1/2" spacers on my Screensforbikes screen and it cut down the buffeting considerably.

I feel a little air on my chest now, but it's just a smoothing out of the flow behind the screen. The cockpit is more comfortable overall on the highway now. I'm 6' tall for the record. I still get a little cleaner air when I stick my head up higher though.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #471
planemanx15 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Got my new rim on today! I'm in love, will be doing the rear in the fall\winter

planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #472
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-til-sore! View Post
Thanks Phil for the pics. It gives me something to think about. What was the price range and how long did it take them to ship it to you?
The Russel service is excellent. When you order they give you a build start date so you know when you have to have the seat to them by. The build is about two weeks plus the delivery time.
You have to send them photos and details so they know what to build. I have done some long days with no worries including a 600km ride home with only 2 half hour food stops. With another rest we could have gone further. I could not do that on a stock seat and even my version 1 seat was killing me after an hour or two.
Cost. A solo seat is about $395 in vinyl. Probably the best money I have spent on the bike
Happy butt !!!
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #473
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,446
I'm now using and loving a Madstad screen (18" CR in light smoke).
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.1921/.f
I can adjust if any angle and height i want and achieve ideal airflow for me!

A must do IMO if you do any long tours on your DR.
I can see over top just fine and it's out of the way when i stand up for rougher sections.
I went with light smoke so i could still see some down through it if need be.

Kept my FZ1 screen i had bolted to the stock light shield and cut out notches so the Turbo City brackets passed through.
Going to get some hand-tighten bolts so i can quickly remove the Robobrackets and shield all at once for more hardcore riding.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #474
CessPool
Gnarly Coot

Oddometer: 318
I've put my Madstad up for sale in the flea market if anyone's interested in trying one.
CessPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #475
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,446
Update:

Played with my screen angle and height for the smoothest position for wind @ my helmet. I tried alot of variations as the robo-brackets move every way possible.

In the end, I raised it some and angled it back a bit more that the 60 degree Madstad talks about. The bottom is more open for air to pass underneath too and this makes it very nice going down the road. Having a vstrom and madstad bracket, it's also the same bottom open angle that works on that bike too. it may look a little funny but sure does it work well.

Nothing but calm air on my chest and head. Of course there is air leaking in from the side but it's not a goldwing. If you spend alot of time on paved roads with your DR this might be the ideal screen solution. I can see over it just fine for off-road work and the whole bracket / screen can come off quickly with 4 bolts/nuts if need be.

I then use a Giant Loop Coyote over the rear of the seat for my gear, see here before the Madstad.
I now have a serious long-distance go-anywhere ultra-reliable traveling machine!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Labor Day Sale: $10/map (6-10 maps) + free case
http://www.butlermaps.com/6for60

eakins screwed with this post 08-08-2012 at 05:54 PM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #476
Gage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Just got myself a 2005 DR 650 yesterday. Rode it today for like 30 miles on the highway to a little forest service road for like 20-25 miles of riding. It was a blast! The bike does OK on the highway being completely stock, definitely a little windy and rough up at 80 MPH, but its ok. I think I'm looking to add a windscreen though, gonna try and get one that is small but efficient. Not a fan of handlebar mounted ones.

Does anyone have any experience with the laminar lip that procycle sells? I kind of like the look of that one. Also i think i will pick up procycles skid plate.

Any opinions welcome.

Thanks!
Gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #477
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the laminar lip that procycle sells?
I live in your neck of the woods and run the Laminar Lip on my DR650 supermoto. Works like a charm for the freeway segment of my commute -- keeps wind off my chest, with my helmet in clean air. I used the velcro-type mounting that comes with it, and have had zero issues despite a lot of rainy, windy rides.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #478
guzzirelic
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrushocean View Post
I live in your neck of the woods and run the Laminar Lip on my DR650 supermoto. Works like a charm for the freeway segment of my commute -- keeps wind off my chest, with my helmet in clean air. I used the velcro-type mounting that comes with it, and have had zero issues despite a lot of rainy, windy rides.
I'll chime in here with my two cents and say thanks for this info. I've had my 2006 DR since early June and the previous owner gave me a Spitfire windshield with the bike. I tried it out on a two day tour I did a couple of weeks back. It clamps to the handle bars and thus is easy to install and remove., leaving just the small brackets on the bars.
It too cuts the wind off my chest and didn't produce any helmet buffeting. BUT!!! it some how sets up a wind noise that is very annoying to say the least. Even with ear protection I wished I'd left the darn thing at home. I tried different angles and heights with no difference. And I tried using my left hand as a deflector at different points around the screen to see if it would change.
The only thing I can figure is that it set up some wind flow angled at the mirrors somehow as it seemed that putting my hand between the screen and the mirror changed and somewhat lessened the howl.

I'd still like to find some sort of shield for the long highway portions of my tour days and maybe the Pro Cycle Laminar Lip is the answer. In your experience would you say this shield is any noisier than riding without?

thanks,
Relic

1976 Yamaha DT400C;1960 Panther M120
1970 Yamaha 100 L5TA Trailmaster
guzzirelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #479
sagebrushocean
Harris's hawker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzirelic View Post
I'd still like to find some sort of shield for the long highway portions of my tour days and maybe the Pro Cycle Laminar Lip is the answer. In your experience would you say this shield is any noisier than riding without?
I didn't notice any change in wind noise at all, even during the 75mph run on my commute. Probably the gap between the screen and the number plate helps reduce turbulence that produces noise (hence the "laminar" lip). I also don't like handlebar-mounted windscreens -- too much steering input from the screen in a crosswind. I think the Screensforbikes screen looks a little better than the Laminar Lip, but I have no complaints about the functionality and price of the PC Laminar Lip. Back when I had just the stock number plate for wind deflection, I got tired of being a parachute at high speed, even for just the 5 mile highway segment of my usual ride. The Laminar Lip fixed that nicely without any real downside (except maybe the looks -- not a real high priority for me).

But windscreen effects (turbulence, noise, placement of the air, etc.) depend on rider height, screen placement, where the rider sits on the seat, and probably a bunch of other things. So in the end its a personal choice and I don't know any way to figure it out except to try different screens.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #480
guzzirelic
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrushocean View Post
I didn't notice any change in wind noise at all, even during the 75mph run on my commute. Probably the gap between the screen and the number plate helps reduce turbulence that produces noise (hence the "laminar" lip). I also don't like handlebar-mounted windscreens -- too much steering input from the screen in a crosswind. I think the Screensforbikes screen looks a little better than the Laminar Lip, but I have no complaints about the functionality and price of the PC Laminar Lip. Back when I had just the stock number plate for wind deflection, I got tired of being a parachute at high speed, even for just the 5 mile highway segment of my usual ride. The Laminar Lip fixed that nicely without any real downside (except maybe the looks -- not a real high priority for me).

But windscreen effects (turbulence, noise, placement of the air, etc.) depend on rider height, screen placement, where the rider sits on the seat, and probably a bunch of other things. So in the end its a personal choice and I don't know any way to figure it out except to try different screens.
Thanks for this Sage. So true that the shield that works for one rider could be horrible for the next. But the fact that you aren't noticing any change in wind noise suggests that the Laminar Lip unit would be worth me trying.

Relic
1976 Yamaha DT400C;1960 Panther M120
1970 Yamaha 100 L5TA Trailmaster
guzzirelic is offline   Reply With Quote