User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #481
planemanx15 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
Eek 3 of a kind..

Tci brackets, cee baileys, laminar lip. No wind noise or buffetting from 0-85.

Will still need to be refined, I want to use better bolts and straighten it up, but works great and stops the flex on the number plate.
2003 BMW R1150RT - The new beast
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #482
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,321
i've commuted daily on the DR for the last 1.5yr/25k miles and it wasn't until i recently bought my Street Triple that i knew what "clean air" was. the DR definitely has alot of turbulence and the screens i tried didn't really help. my helmet has a visor on it and that doesn't help at all in the equation. i tried the big turbo city wind screen thing which was like pushing a brick and didn't help with the buffeting. so i went screen-less.

after riding it daily, i have no more issues with buffeting. basically, my body eventually adjusted and i no longer feel blown around on the bike, i ride 80mph + all the way in and never feel it pulling on my helmet anymore.

as a side benefit, i can probably fight off a Royce Gracie rear naked choke fairly easily as well. neck muscles, who knew?

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #483
borborygmus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
here is the pic of the gpr

BTW this is the same bike on page1 several years and 2 owners later. only diff is fcr39mm and renazco seat

borborygmus screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 04:03 PM Reason: add picture
borborygmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:02 AM   #484
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
I'd like to see more shots of the GPR mounting. Did you weld the rod to the frame like the Scotts mounting does? I had a GPR on my WR450 and it was a great addition. I haven't added one to the DR...I just stopped trying to keep up in deep sand washes. It really eliminates the headshake so you can just steer by putting pressure on the pegs. I used it for rocky sections too which helped the front just deflect instead of trying to yank the bars out of my hands.

Interested....

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #485
borborygmus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
gpr mount

welded the post on. If you give gpr the diminsions of the head tube dia I bet they might have a bolt on.
This was off one of my gasgas enduros wich I believe came off my wr450 yamaha. There is a lot of inter-changability
with these things, The damper really helps in the occasional sand wash and even more important that obstacle in the
road you did not see cause the veiws were demanding your attention. The bars are not yanked out of your hands and the natural gyroscopic effects keep you upright.
borborygmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #486
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
Thx. I'll have to run by GPR..they're 20 minutes from me and were very helpful on the WR. Got the nickel tour of the place. Good folks.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #487
kstoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Laminar Lip on a TCI Adventure Wind Screen

I was intrigued by this thread right from the beginning and have been following it somewhat all along. It has helped to inspire/encourage me to do this.
I have this 2007 DR650 specifically because I want a motorcycle that will do it all well except cruising between taverns. I want a dirt bike / commuter / sport cycle / long-distance tourer / camping machine. I want it convertible; I can quickly strip down to bare and lower the tire pressure or outfit it as needed and go. It is getting there!
The last 1,000 mile trip that I made I forgot that we are transitioning out of summer and I had to go against cold north winds for about 5 hours at 70+ mph. If I didn't have my Gerbing jacket liner and gloves I would have died of exposure. Regret, why did I not put on that TCI wind screen that I had bought at the beginning of the summer? I had put it on to try it out in June and then rode all summer with it off. So, when I got back I did put the TCI wind screen back on and it does help a lot to keep the wind off my body so there is less fatigue and more comfort. As well as it works, though, it directs the wind to about my neck [5' 10"] which steals body heat and makes helmet noise. I had solved this problem previously on a BMW R100RT with a Laminar Lip so I thought that I would look to see what they had. Of course, they don't make a lip for a TCI Adventure Wind Screen on a DR650. I looked at the universals [beware universal fit!] and it looked like the 14 just might possibly work. I thought about it and measured and thought about it and finally decided to give it a try.
It came yesterday. I turned the garage heater on to get it up to 70 and put it on. The width is perfect, the curve of the universal 14 is prolly a little to radical and the mounting edge of the lip doesn't match the profile of the screen perfectly but close enough. I thought briefly about getting my heat gun out and thought the better of that. Measure, line it up, mark it with dry-erase, take a deep breath and go! I clamped it down with some grippers and turned out the lights for the night.
It is raining this morning, even better to test it out! The wind is not very strong this morning but I can definitely feel the air pocket is larger and less turbulent. Wind spills out to the sides and to my face shield which is perfect in the rain! I need to put more miles in different conditions on it but so far I feel successful.
The Lip can be taken off quickly; it is attached with 3M Dual Lock Velcro-like material. The TCI Adventure Wind Screen comes off by removing 4 plastic nuts and bolts with a jackknife screwdriver and put into a backpack. The Seahorse quasi-Pelican panniers come off the TCI Outback luggage rack by pulling a spring loaded pin up and lifting them up. The GL tank bag can be zipped from its base or just unstrap the whole thing. There is a Slime pump in the tank bag for pumping the tires back up when I come back to the road. There is a place to plug in the Gerbing liner and gloves and the Garmin and charge the phone. An Acerbis tank so I get to choose when to take to take a break. Procycle Saddleman seat so I don't need to yet. There it is [so far], my convertible adventure machine! I just need more vacation days!

Old 10-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #488
kstoo
Adventurer

I know that I was already verbose in my original post but I can't help it, I am excited! After a rainy day of painting the bathroom and other home keeping things I decided to test ride. At dusk the rain diminished but the temperature stayed in the fifties. The wind was strong from the SW and I knew that if I went down I-43 I would be straight into it. I saw large flags straight out so I know it was better than 30 mph. So, this test ride included 70+ mph into the wind, with side winds and with the wind to my back. I did about 50 miles, short test ride. All in all I am thrilled with the results. Before I reported that the wind was deflected to my face shield but not so, I had my face shield open with no turbulence coming in.
If you look at the profile of the TCI Adventure wind screen and the same of the Laminar Lip universal 14, the combination of those two air foils really work good together. It is not a barn door blocking the wind but directing the wind around me with the least turbulence. I like!!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #489
planemanx15 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972

Feels good when you finally get the windscreen combination working correctly right?
2003 BMW R1150RT - The new beast
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:06 PM   #490
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,350
I'm glad that my Spitfire sceen works for me. Its fairly cheap and it makes all the difference while riding 500 mile days. I put it off for years, but its one of the top farkles I've tried that actually made a large improvement when touring. The center stand is high on the list too....
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:05 AM   #491
kstoo
Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post

Feels good when you finally get the windscreen combination working correctly right?
Yep, that is what is enjoyable about putting it all together, that the only 'right way' is the way that works for me. That being said ...
ergonomic mods - complete.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #492
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 277
Gotta get one

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
Lovin this thread. Might have to get myself a DR. Anyone willing to trade a 650 nighthawk for one?
Picked up an 06 yesterday. Now to make it mine.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:15 PM   #493
philp38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Excuse the ugly bugger in the photo but If you want a real comfy seat they can be made from using the stock seat base. This is a pic of my custom DR seat. The base is 3" longer than stock as I have a pillion most of the time. The foam and cover was done by http://www.day-long.com/ This is the version 2 seat. The first was done here in NZ but I hated that. I looked at the Russel site, saw their seat for a KTM 690 and said "I want 1 like that for my DR". I love it. It makes the bike feel a bit taller as its wide but I also have modified suspension. I can live with a tall mseat height for a seat I can sit on all day
That looks comfy..
Old 10-31-2012, 10:12 PM   #494
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by philp38 View Post
That looks comfy..
It sure is. Couldn't imagine riding the TAT with a standard seat. I had no problems riding 31 days straight with our Russel DayLong seat. Best money ive spent A couple of pics from Port Orford at the end of the TAT

Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #495
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
^ That is outstanding. I love the seat and that it is longer in the back. I have contemplated a pillion set up like yours but you have done it. May I ask yours and your wife dimensions, weight, height, inseam and what you did to the suspension to support the load. Thanks.

The Safari tank is killer. I don't remember seeing one that large on a DR before. I love the look. It just means business.
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote