Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
side-wayz OP
See Ya in the twisties

Oddometer: 151
Question klr 650 anyone use the hot cams?

I heard the valves chattering on my klr and figured I needed to re-shim it, when I got it apart, I found that the exhaust camshaft had spun a bearing and ruined the shaft. I'm trying to find parts now and ran across the " Hot Cams" on klr650.com . Has anyone tried these, and what if I don't need the intake camshaft? Looks expensive to buy both, is it worth it?

Thanks for any info!

Name:  014.jpg
Views: 2455
Size:  82.2 KB
Old 03-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,184
Aren't these plain bearing heads? I don't think there is a bearing shell in the head, which means the head is also probably trashed....

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
side-wayz OP
See Ya in the twisties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
Aren't these plain bearing heads? I don't think there is a bearing shell in the head, which means the head is also probably trashed....
This is the first time I've taken a klr apart so I'm not sure about that, but the bike was still running great and I just started to hear a chatter in the top end so when I took it apart, this is what I found. I hope it is not any worse than it looks. The camshafts are over 200 bucks each so far! It's cheaper to get the high performance ones, but the intake shaft looks good and I'm pretty sure if I got the Hot Cam for the exhaust, I would also have to get one for the intake.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
side-wayz OP
See Ya in the twisties

Quote:

You're right. I see what you're talking about now. No bearing, the shaft just rides on the head. It probably is trashed, but I didn't want to go any further until I found a camshaft. Guess I need to dig in the rest of the way and see if I need a head.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
Skowinski
Deuterostome

Oddometer: 5,184
Sorry to see your troubles.

Was that the only one that was scored? I think that kind of damage is usually caused by a lack of oil, like the supply to the head, so more than one journal is usually damaged. You probably want to look into that before you put it back together with new parts.

I believe I've heard of KLR's having the oil screen behind the clutch cover become clogged, leading to low oil supply to the head, but not 100% sure, just an idea that comes to mind. Could also be the oil pump, how many miles on this beast?

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
tagalong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
The usual culprit on the KLR for a ruined exhaust cam is the oring on the oil crossover tube blown out. Kinda sad that a $1 piece can cost so much to fix. The oring is on the oil tube which snaps into the left cam caps, it usually gets damaged without you knowing it when the cap is removed while doing a valve shim change. You can see the tube in the pic, it's on the far left center of the pic. The oil from the pump is supplied on the intake cam side and flows through this tube to lube the exhaust cam. If the oring on either side leaks, then the oil doesn't make it to the exhaust cam.

tagalong screwed with this post 03-26-2011 at 07:23 PM
tagalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #7
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,540
Run low on oil. I've fixed a couple like that. You're looking at a new (serviceable) head as well as a cam. You will also want to pull the oil screen (under the clutch side cover) which requires taking the water pump impeller off. The screen will be full of metal. So is the paper filter BTW.

I saw something somewhere about a guy that re-bushed & machined the damaged cam bore but I can't find it anymore. A bit of a tossup... used head vs, machine work price wise.

I might have a spare cam... havta look.

P.S. watch out for the guide bushings, they have a habit of falling out & dropping into the left side.... OK if you are planning on doing the Doo, other wise.... watch out. I Locktite the buggers in, 'cause it's a problem ever time you set the valve lash.
Beezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
side-wayz OP
See Ya in the twisties

Thanks for the knowledge guys. The tube does look like it was leaking so I'll be sure to fix that if I rebuild it. Heads definately shot. I think I'm going to try and find a used engine for now but rebuild this later. I was told that the lower end may need rebuilt now. If anyone knows where a wrcked klr is or a used engine is, please let me know. I'll be searching.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
side-wayz OP
See Ya in the twisties

Quote:
Sorry to see your troubles.

Was that the only one that was scored? I think that kind of damage is usually caused by a lack of oil, like the supply to the head, so more than one journal is usually damaged. You probably want to look into that before you put it back together with new parts.

I believe I've heard of KLR's having the oil screen behind the clutch cover become clogged, leading to low oil supply to the head, but not 100% sure, just an idea that comes to mind. Could also be the oil pump, how many miles on this beast?

Definately lack of oil, I'm learning the hard way. Almost 20,000 on it and I have not done maintenance like I should have.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #10
side-wayz OP
See Ya in the twisties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
Run low on oil. I've fixed a couple like that. You're looking at a new (serviceable) head as well as a cam. You will also want to pull the oil screen (under the clutch side cover) which requires taking the water pump impeller off. The screen will be full of metal. So is the paper filter BTW.

I saw something somewhere about a guy that re-bushed & machined the damaged cam bore but I can't find it anymore. A bit of a tossup... used head vs, machine work price wise.

I might have a spare cam... havta look.

P.S. watch out for the guide bushings, they have a habit of falling out & dropping into the left side.... OK if you are planning on doing the Doo, other wise.... watch out. I Locktite the buggers in, 'cause it's a problem ever time you set the valve lash.
I was very careful with the bushings, they're all accounted for. The metal was a concern. Will I have to rebuild the lower end because of this or will it last as long as I get the shavings out of the screen and filter? The bike was still running strong, I tore it apart because of the noice in the head. Let me know if you have tthe camshaft and what you want for it. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
kjackbrown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Ugh...looks like I am in the same boat as you!

I bought a 2006 KLR last week and started to notice that the P.O. didnt really do much of any maint. on this bike. I ordered the parts/tools to do the Doo and tore into it this weekend. I first wanted to check the valve clearances and as soon as I removed the valve cover, I noticed that the two bolts holding the right exhaust cam cap were VERY loose (several threads showing)!!!!! Further inspections showed that this cap (and cam) were gouged...although not quite as badly as yours.

The Doo and spring on mine were both broken and missing pieces, I have ordeed a new clutch cover gasket so I can take that side apart and check out the oil screen for the missing pieces.

Like yours, mine ran very well before I opened it up. I'm going to go ahead and get the correct shims to complete the valve adjustment...and put it all back together. I'm hoping that the bike will still run good....until I can fins a god used head and ex. cam somewhere.

That being said....what years of KLR650's should I be looking at for a donor head for my 2006? Anyone have (or know of) any that they would be willing to sell?
kjackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #12
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackbrown View Post
I have ordeed a new clutch cover gasket so I can take that side apart and check out the oil screen for the missing pieces.
You'll also be taking off the water pump, so order up a new gasket and seal kit. Here's a good how-to link.

Quote:
That being said....what years of KLR650's should I be looking at for a donor head for my 2006? Anyone have (or know of) any that they would be willing to sell?
Probably want to stay within 1996-2007 model years because the cylinder is a bit heavier duty. That way if you want to drop a 685 kit in there it's just a bore-over job, no new cylinder sleeve required.

They pop up on occasion on eBay, check your local CL, maybe post a wanted ad here on advrider.

Edit:
Fill out the location info on your profile, someone might have something close to you.

Edit edit:
Made a comment about cylinder sleeves when you were asking about heads, sorry about that. You will still want to stay 1996 and up. The KLR650 entry in Wikipedia has a quick rundown on model year changes.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!

newcastleadam screwed with this post 04-18-2011 at 01:57 PM
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #13
kjackbrown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Thank you for the heads up on the pump gasket...I'll place my order after lunch!
kjackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #14
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Thank you for the heads up on the pump gasket...I'll place my order after lunch!
Make sure you get the seals as well.

#49063 is the water seal, #92049 is the oil seal. You'll want both. I try to keep an extra set on hand just in case. #670 is an O-ring you can generally re-use.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagalong View Post
The usual culprit on the KLR for a ruined exhaust cam is the oring on the oil crossover tube blown out.
I don't think that is correct...
Low on oil is really the usual culprit.