Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #16
rickcorwn OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
With the big winds that are predicted today we should get up early and get across the border and on the road before conditions get bad but that's not our style. Most of the morning is final packing for most initial packing for some and of course there's breakfast. So we don't get the early start that real smart people would.

Border paperwork seems to be streamlined some until we go to get our vehicle imports stickers. There's a bit of a line and only two clerks handling things and well there are seven of us. Trouble with credit cards, paying with cash and a computer crash add to the wait but we're in Mexico and we really don't care. Once we reach the edge of town we can see how bad the winds are the horizon is blocked from view from all the dust being blown around. The good news I guess is that we've got a head wind not a cross wind. The two guys on KLR 650s are doing OK just loosing some gas mileage the rest of us are on 350 or smaller bikes and we spend the better part of the day with the throttle pinned, laid down on the tank and downshifting a gear or two for any hills.

Sleddog, fugarwe and Ian at the overlook outside of Ojinaga. Note the sculpture/monument in the background it is graffiti free wow a new paint job.

We reach Chihuahua City and do the sneak down the sidewalk to avoid the one way street getting to the Maria Delores Hotel. In spite of the late start it's still not the least bit late so after we settle in we head out to explore the city some.

Righteous bro in Chihuahua City.

I don't know?? She's just standing on the sidewalk singing away.

Domino's Delivers.

PowerHouse scores some papas.

Andrew Lord stopped by to talk for a while avoiding leaving Chihuahua City.

The Canal Road in Chihuahua City.

Oh, I almost forgot the truck of the day.
rickcorwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:23 PM   #17
DOUG5551
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Hey rick

Good to see what you do for fun when you are not on your fjr.

I have done some riding with sleddog and was happy to get beat by fugarwe last august.

Sleddog, get to work and post some of those pics!
DOUG5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #18
sideshow
debaser

Oddometer: 2,778
Been waiting for this report! Can't wait to see where Charlie took the gang this year! Looks like a good time was had, aside from bruised toes!
sideshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #19
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow View Post
Been waiting for this report! Can't wait to see where Charlie took the gang this year! Looks like a good time was had, aside from bruised toes!
And aside from flat tires. I felt like that sideshow guy for a while. Story to follow at the appropriate time.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #20
rickcorwn OP
Studly Adventurer

The next morning some of us are up and ready to hit the road but others it seems didn't get to bed until 2:00AM To their credit they don't sleep as late as they might have liked and we're off to breakfast at a reasonable hour. Tury stops by the hotel with his bike in the back of his pick-up and we're off to Cuauhtemoc where he'll leave the truck at a friends. From there we'll head south to Carichi where we finally hit the dirt roads.

Across the road from one of our stops is a hotel with a kind of strange setup. There are big curtains across a garage opening?? These hotel are available by the hour, need I say more The curtains are to hide your car or truck from the prying eyes of the neighbors.

When you travel with old guys there are lots of stops.

We head west from Carichi and now the dust becomes an issue. There hasn't been rain down here for like five months so the eight of us get pretty spread out. The objective is to head west to Bocoyna (IIRC) then south on the paved road a few mile to Creel for the night. About 3/4 the way to Bocoyna I pull into a small town and find fugarwe relaxing across the street from a little tienda. Sitting in the shade and having a snack seems like a pretty good idea so I stop. We're entertained by a few young boys on their bicycles while we wait for those behind us to catch up. After a while tury arrives but hasn't seen Bob or cwc, the only others behind us at this point. So the three of us hang out and watch this sleepy little town drive up and down the street. It's been more than an hour since I arrived and now fugarwe and Tury are going to head back and look for our two missing Amigos. I'll head to Creel and tell the others what's up.

Downtown Sisoguichic.

Our entertainment for the afternoon.

Trick light set up on one of the bikes. PIAA's got nuthin on these kids.

Creel

Pano by Daggy

Once we check in to the hotel Daggy and Owwmyeye are there to greet us. Daggy is quick to whip out his camera and show us the video of Owwmyeye biffing a water crossing. According to Owwmyeye we are the only people in Chihuahua that haven't seen it yet

Along the main street in Creel where most of the hotel and restaurants are there are these little kids under maybe eight years old that walk the streets selling trinkets to the tourists. It's both kind of a pain in the ass and sad at the same time. These little kids are out working I assume for their parents hawking these small hand made goods. I don't know if it's coached or if it's real but they all seem to have the "sad kid" face down to an art.

Now it's getting to be dinner time and those of us here at the Los Pinos are getting hungry but we still are missing some of our amigos. It's almost dark and we're now officially getting worried. Then fugarwe pulls in asking if cwc and Bob have shown up yet, that's a negitive. He spins around and heads for the internet cafe to see if there's any info there. Not that there's a wifi hot spot out in the boonies here but cwc is carrying a Spot tracker. When Fugarwe returns he's got good news cwc has sent an OK message not long ago. The plan if they don't get back tonight is to check the Spot in the morning and go find them.

In the mean time we're going to dinner. With friends like us...

We attempt to drown our worries about our amigos.

When we get back from dinner cwc and Bob are back! There's a story about a tube that wouldn't patch and much consternation around this flat tire. I'll let cwc add all the gory details. The good news is they're safe.

Here are some pics that Bob took of the tire repair, Charlie can fill in the blanks.

Truck of the day.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 PM   #21
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Tire Repair One

So I feel a little mushiness. Hmmmm

We saw a spot of shade a short distance ahead and got into it.

I said "We'll just pull the tube without pulling the tire and patch it."

Bob, ever the enabler said "Right On."

This is the Michelin Ultra HD tube. It's more like an "Inner Tire". It's NOT easy to deal with on the roadside.

Anyway, we got it out, found a hole and patched it. I'm thinking we will be on the road soon as I put the tube back into the tire. What I should have been thinking was "I wonder if this nail made holes on the inside of the tube."

After re-mounting the tire and inflating it I knew a little more.

We dismounted the tire again, added another patch and re-mounted the tire.

In the process of re-mounting the tire the bike fell off the center stand (rock).

The second patch leaked. We decided to pull the wheel and put in the spare front tube that I had.

The new tube worked, but by now it was getting late.

By the time we got everything re-packed it was dark, but we only had 43 miles to go and 10 of it was paved. We got to Creel at about 9:30.

A BIG Muchas Gracias to Tio Molcas who even though they were closed made some burritos for us so we wouldn't starve.

My Ride Reports Here

cwc screwed with this post 03-29-2011 at 12:07 PM
Old 03-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #22
cwc
Studly Adventurer

The route for Day 2

My Ride Reports Here
Old 03-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #23
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Another Mistake and a Miracle

The next morning I got the HD tube repaired at a Desponchado and we put it back into the tire when we got to Batopilas.

Tury arranged to have overnight delivery to Batopilas of a spare rear tube from the Honda shop in Chihuahua. He can arrange ANYTHING.

Including the price of the tube the cost was about US$20.

To be continued at the appropriate time.

My Ride Reports Here

cwc screwed with this post 03-31-2011 at 07:39 AM
Old 03-28-2011, 08:37 PM   #24
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,194
I love the progression of expressions from inspiration to consternation to frustration!

We were glad when you finally rolled in.

Sisoguchi is getting a new highway. It doesn't quite reach to town yet, but will soon.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:03 PM   #25
Tury
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
I love the progression of expressions from inspiration to consternation to frustration!

We were glad when you finally rolled in.

Sisoguchi is getting a new highway. It doesn't quite reach to town yet, but will soon.
And later on it will head to Carichi, but there are other alternative routes ( caminos de tierra.....dirt roads ) to get to Creel, I mentioned it to Charlie, takes more time, much more fun, better views less polvo, even at this dry season.

I miss those evenings having XX to sooth the throats full of polvo and those mornings with the true aroma of real coffee that invaded the whole Juanitas hotel.
Tury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:49 AM   #26
yamafitter
Old Cranky Guy

Oddometer: 226
It's Only Flat on the Bottom

At least we waited until the second day in the dirt for everything to go off the rails.
yamafitter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #27
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamafitter View Post
At least we waited until the second day in the dirt for everything to go off the rails.
Is there a report??

My Ride Reports Here
Old 03-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #28
rickcorwn OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
Is there a report??
Yamafitter is one of the guys from the FJR Forum that went down last November as chronicled here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638662
Old 03-30-2011, 07:32 AM   #29
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcorwn View Post
Yamafitter is one of the guys from the FJR Forum that went down last November as chronicled here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638662
Looks like they would have benefitted from our maps.

My Ride Reports Here
Old 03-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #30
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Subscribed

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote