Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #61
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickcorwn View Post
Now we're in Urique and the place is packed with people in town for the Marathon. We score some fresh water and it's hot down here. My main thought is to get back up on top of the next ridge to cool off. A couple people need gas and head for the Pemex on the other side of town, that station is closed. There's a guy that sells gas out of some jugs a couple of blocks away a few people head that way while a couple of others head for the overlook and Bob and Sleddog who don't need gas wait. Once we're at the Urique overlook and we're taking in the sights some one asks did anyone tell Bob and Sleddog we were leaving?? Dumb looks all around. So we peer down into the canyon looking for our amigos that we forgot in Urique. Good news we see a couple of small dust clouds making their way up the canyon. Sorry about that guys.

One of the main streets in Urique is a aircraft landing strip. After discovering the Pemex was closed, Bob & I decide to hang out on the strip, in the shade, to wait for the others to get gas from the guy with the jugs. After about 20 minutes Bob says "What do you suppose those guys are up to" I said "They are filling all the bikes from jugs, probably going to take a while" About 10 minutes goes buy & these two boys approach us carrying a bucket that obviously heavy.

They set the bucket down & it's full of cleaned fish! They try to sell it to us & we decline. We think if we've been sitting there long enough we look like we need food we should leave.

We head the direction the others went & find the Pemex is now open. We pull in & in our limited Spanish discover the other motos went Esa Direccion! It's easy to follow the tracks of the others to the lookout.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #62
STRich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Great Ride Reports

Keep em coming guys....
Rich
STRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #63
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,673
Thumb

What an amazing ride! We may have beautiful beaches in the South, but the North sure has excellent riding! Keep it coming

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #64
rickcorwn OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
I almost forgot, a foot report. I took a couple of Advil in the morning and I was oblivious enough to any pain that I never got around to taking any more. It's still a bit tender to walk around on but if I had to choose between riding and walking... In spite of how good my leg is doing it looks pretty ugly.

rickcorwn screwed with this post 04-09-2011 at 01:52 PM
rickcorwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #65
Wolverine1305
The english is hard

Oddometer: 168
Nice ride report

Howdy friends awesome ride report and nice pictures I will be there soon.
Your ride report is useful for me.

Hola amigos buen reporte y buenas fotos voy a estar allí pronto.
Su informe de viaje me va a servir mucho.
Wolverine1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #66
rickcorwn OP
Studly Adventurer

Road Kill of the day.

Next we're off to Chinipas.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #67
rickcorwn OP
Studly Adventurer

Our departure is delayed a bit cwc's carburetor is leaking a stuck float or dirty needle is causing the DR to leak as much as it burns. So there's some minor surgery preformed in the cool morning air.

The carb is closely inspected and nothing is found but once reassembled the leak seems to be fixed. We're off to Bahuichivo for fuel then west on the the low road.

This westerly portion of the Low Road is big and fast which sounds great but that just means that there are big fast trucks on it. The good news is there are no real close calls but some of these truckers like to use all of the road rather than slow down for the curves. We reach Temoris and stop to regroup and get a snack. The tienda we choose seems to be the hub of all activity in Temoris. It's right next to the town square and there's a constant stream of people coming and going on this Sunday morning.

This kid in the black is all over the place talking with us and his friends and people driving up in their pick ups. Some one figures he's got a future as a politician.

We score some ice cream!

We're hanging out at the tienda for quite a while waiting for cwc and Bob. Finally fugarwe decides to go look for them and heads back. Once he returns there's word of another flat tire episode. Could be worse.

At the tire changing site Bob finds an interesting road kill or maybe not road kill. This skull is sawed into pieces, kinda weird.

Big trucks on the big road.

We finally make it out of Temoris, are you comin'?

The road gets smaller and tighter even as we get closer to the big mine.

Before all these roads were here the mine used a small gauge railroad in and out. The RR is gone but these tunnels remain.

The mine. Was it gold they are after?? I don't recall.

After a pretty long but not too tough day (for us without flats) we arrive in Chinipas.

Once we get to the hotel there aren't any double rooms available on the first floor. Cwc hates the second floor so he an Bob devise a way to get their gear up stairs without having to climb the stairs. Age and treachery...

Ian and Tury relax after a day on the dusty roads.

There's always some questionable electrical work in the places we stay but this one is in the shower. Naked and standing in water is not where I want to be around wiring like this.

More interesting wiring, at least we're not naked around this one.

We quickly set up shop on the second floor veranda.

Cowboys cruise by our hotel.

If there's beer fugarwe will find it guaranteed.

And he's pretty good at homing in on big bags of cheesy puffs too.

We head to the square where Gaby has a tent and grill setup for dinner.

Lots and lots of great food this was my favorite meal of the trip.

Gaby and six stuffed gringos.

After dinner we're harassed by a bunch of kids that think they're pretty funny and they were.

We retire to our second story veranda for a night cap and watch the goings on of Chinipas pass by our hotel while we enjoy the warm night air and a little Cabrito.

Our motos tucked in for the night.

rickcorwn screwed with this post 04-09-2011 at 09:32 PM
Old 04-09-2011, 08:51 PM   #68
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,342
Quote:
I almost forgot, a foot report. I took a couple of Advil in the morning and I was oblivious enough to any pain that I never got around to taking any more. It's still a bit tender to walk around on but if I had to choose between riding and walking... In spite of how good my leg is doing it looks pretty ugly.

I gotta say that leg has more color than all my bruises combined. Hope it's doing better.

Schizz

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #69
rickcorwn OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I gotta say that leg has more color than all my bruises combined. Hope it's doing better.

Schizz
The leg is doing fine actually even in that picture it wasn't too bad it just looked like it hurt. You on the other hand... did you buy a loto ticket after your little excursion

I've come close to the edge a couple of times but never over it, very far

Old 04-09-2011, 11:22 PM   #70
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,983
Quote:
We quickly set up shop on the second floor veranda.

Traveling under the Sign of the Goat.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:51 AM   #71
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,130
That was my first time on the low road through the old rail tunnels. That was fun! Going from the bight sunshine into those dark and skinny tunnels with our puny, dust covered ds headlights was exciting. Coming out of one of the tunnels I had a crazy cow experience. As I came out of the tunnel a cow bolted into the road, ran along side me for a bit, then jumped over a fence back to the rest of the herd. Must have had a bit of whitetail in its bloodline.

Were those the kids playing crack-the-whip around the plaza with their baby sister stuffed in the milk crate?

By the way Rick, I love the way you use the ambient lighting in your photos!
Old 04-10-2011, 06:08 AM   #72
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
Were those the kids playing crack-the-whip around the plaza with their baby sister stuffed in the milk crate?

Yes they were. Should have shot video of it, stills don't do justice!

It was fun interacting with the local kids. Some of us gave away fingernail polish, paper umbrellas, lots of candy, matchbox cars & stickers. Whenever the treats came out though, the underground information system went to work. Kids came out of the woodwork to get their treat.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #73
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
It was fun interacting with the local kids. Some of us gave away fingernail polish, paper umbrellas, lots of candy, matchbox cars & stickers. Whenever the treats came out though, the underground information system went to work. Kids came out of the woodwork to get their treat.
Wasn't it Chinipas where the word kept spreading and the kids kept coming long after the last matchbox car had been handed out?
Old 04-10-2011, 07:05 AM   #74
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,342
Quote:
The leg is doing fine actually even in that picture it wasn't too bad it just looked like it hurt. You on the other hand... did you buy a loto ticket after your little excursion

I've come close to the edge a couple of times but never over it, very far

No lotto ticket. Someone did suggest rushing me onto a plane to Vegas, however.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:17 AM   #75
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Quote:
Our departure is delayed a bit cwc's carburetor is leaking a stuck float or dirty needle is causing the DR to leak as much as it burns. So there's some minor surgery performed in the cool morning air.
My 1995 DR350 developed a knock during a summer trip last year, so I broke out this 1997 that I had in reserve. This was the first trip with this bike and it had just over 2K miles on it when I left home. There are a few small things to do on it.

Quote:

As usual we found a bit of shade to work in. Bob and I are getting good at this.

The Michelin UHD tube has at this point come to the end of it's relationship with my bike. We installed the tube Tury had shipped to Batopilas and all was well.

There was a lot of traffic on this road and many of the trucks slowed or stopped to see if we needed help. We sent word with a couple of them so the others would know where we were.

One stopped and asked in English if we were OK and I answered in my heavily accented pidgin Spanish. He said something else in English and I responded as before at which point he said "Why am I speaking to you in English and you are answering me in Spanish". I didn't have an answer for that. Still don't.

DR350 It'll get you there
But then so will my DR650

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote