User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2011, 05:36 AM   #91
yamafitter
Old Cranky Guy

Oddometer: 226
Bridge at Chinipas

So far it looks like you covered much the same ground as we did on our recent trip in November the BeemerDon of the FJR Group.
I recognized the use of the Carta E32 maps but it looks like your version is a recent update from the version I had.
Did you find the bridge north of Chinipas or did you just ride across the river? Judging from conditions the river should not be very deep.

yamafitter screwed with this post 04-14-2011 at 04:56 PM
yamafitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #92
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamafitter View Post
I reconized the use of the Carta G32 maps but it looks like your version is a recent update from the version I had.
Did you find the bridge north of Chinipas or did you just ride across the river? Judging from conditions the river should not be very deep.

My E32 maps are the 2011 version.

Bob and I left first and rode up to the bridge. We did look at a couple of the normal crossing places and they were pretty shallow.

I'm not sure if anybody else rode through the water or not.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #93
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,426
Awesome ride report! Looks like a great trip!
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #94
rickcorwn OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
After breakfast at Gaby's we're off to see the new bridge here just north of Chinipas. We wind our way towards the bridge and we go past the airport and follow a rising trail along the Rio Chinipas. Just as we're at about the highest point of the road a small single engine plane comes in for a landing following the river and passes below us. Pretty cool sight. The new bridge is well, big and we hang out on it for a short while waiting for everyone to group up. I snapped a couple of pictures but for some reason no one gets a shot of the bridge.

The view to the North from the bridge.

To the South.

The objective today is El Forte but it's a bit of an ambitious goal if our track record for flat tires continues. So we're ready to cut short with an option for Alamos if we need to. We head for the hills outside of Chinipas.

Looking back towards Chinipas.

We're up and over one ridge and down into the valley below. Heading up the next ridge we find a nice short cut and take full advantage of it. When we head down the other side the temps are climbing as we descend into the desert below. We head down and the farmer heads up with supplies.

Ian and fugarwe at a shady rest spot.

Now we're down in the lower elevations and it's kinda hot. The roads are wide open compared to the mountains and we hustle along. Tury waves to his adoring fans.

We stop a tienda for some refreshments. Tury with some of his admirers. Note the young man on the right, smelled like someone was burning rope

A personal water tower, now this guy has some water pressure.

One of the small villages we pass through in the lowlands.

After what seemed like 30 miles of high speed wash board roads we arrive in Alamos. A pretty nice town and we take a break at one of the town squares for a snack and a break from the dusty roads. We come a cross this guy who was originally from Iowa who moved here a long time ago and well looks the part.

We're getting tired and hot and really sick of the wash board roads. The thought of another 70 miles of the same isn't very appealing. A shower and a couple of cervezas now THAT'S appealing. But we want to get to El Forte today so we can spend 2 days there. We waver back and forth stay here, it looks like a real nice town or keep going through the desert and have tomorrow to do as we please. Cwc asks a local policeman what the condition of the road is to El Forte. He tells us that it's paved over half the way there. Well that seals it we're off to El Forte.

Here's a hint when asking directions in Mexico try to be very neutral when you ask directions don't ask is this the way to El Forte pointing the way you think it is. Ask which way to El Forte and let them tell you. They seem to want to tell you what you want to hear so if you think that's the way to El Forte then yes that's the way. In this case we wanted the road to El Forte to be in good condition so that's what he told us. Unfortunately that was a bit optimistic the pavement ended about 10 miles out of town. The good news was that the road was in large part without the wash board we had coming into Alamos.

Cwc asking directions, this worked out better than in Alamos.

T-bones on the hoof. Note the inner tube at the ready on cwc's tail pack

Several small village to pass through on the way to El Forte.

Just before you reach El Forte there's a big reservoir here is cwc on the dam.

We finally arrive at The Hotel Guerrero

Showers, comfortable chairs and cervezas. Is this a great country or what?
rickcorwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #95
rickcorwn OP
Studly Adventurer

Dog of the Day.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #96
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Chinipas to El Fuerte Routes

It was a long day. Bob and I made it to El Fuerte just as it got dark.

Most people took the green route, but when we got to the point where you had to decide the locals said motos went east so we did too. It's a bit slower road and we are also a bit slower so we arrived about 45 minutes after the rest of the group. We did get some pictures though.

This is the profile of the green part of the route from the Powershouse GPS. Note the difference in the vertical scale.

My Ride Reports Here
Old 04-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #97
yamafitter
Old Cranky Guy

Video of the bridge at Chinipas

That section of road / trail leading out of Chinipas was one of my personal favorites from our trip. We came from Alamos into Chinipas. Some of us forged the river and the wimps took the bridge.
I have a video of both ...

Nice job on the report. Makes me want to go back and get away from the weather around here. They are calling for some snow this weekend
Old 04-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #98
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,773
Bridge

Oh---it saddens me tremendously that they built a bridge across the river in chinipas----well I got to cross the river twice in the 2 times I've been to Chinipas----the river crossing was my favorite part of Chinipas-----glad to see Gaby is still in business. Now the roads will get improved--here comes the tour busses and traffic---and it all goes to hell.

thanks guys !!

Mark
BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #99
yamafitter
Old Cranky Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post
Oh---it saddens me tremendously that they built a bridge across the river in chinipas----well I got to cross the river twice in the 2 times I've been to Chinipas----the river crossing was my favorite part of Chinipas-----glad to see Gaby is still in business. Now the roads will get improved--here comes the tour busses and traffic---and it all goes to hell.

thanks guys !!

Mark
BigDog
Only wimps and wannabe ADV Riders on Beemers use the bridge. True ADV'ers will still forge the river.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #100
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com View Post

thanks guys !!

Mark
BigDog
I think it's going to be a while until that road is good enough for a tour bus.

My Ride Reports Here
Old 04-16-2011, 12:10 AM   #101
yamafitter
Old Cranky Guy

You can't get there from here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
I think it's going to be a while until that road is good enough for a tour bus.
Exactly, I was amazed that our staff was able to get the support pickup down that road when we came into Chinipas from Alamos. Then again I was amazed that a schoolbus made it down into Batopilas.
One of my neighbours drives a schoolbus around here and almost had a heart attack when I showed him my video of the descent into the canyon.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:09 AM   #102
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
The next morning, we heard some music coming from the street out front. There was a parade going by.

These ladies had to stop & pose for the Gringo!

The dust had taken it's toll on our riding gear. There was a "wash station" located at the back of the courtyard. furgarwe shows how to hose off some of the Polvo.

While Ian prepares to clean his air filter

Four of us decide to head further west to Topolobampo, on the Sea of Cortez for some fresh seafood for lunch. The others stay back & tour the local sights of El Fuerte.

Myself, Powerhouse, Ian & Bob on the fast road to the Coast.

It takes us about 1 1/2 hours to get to the coast.

We ride around town & find this place. From the looks, they should be serving seafood.

A look at the menu is convincing we are going to be eating something from the sea! The prices are not dollars.....

Powerhouse starts us with an appetizer. A shrimp, squid, snail & octopus cocktail! Very good!

The BBQ fish & Shrimp were very good too.

After lunch we took a little run around the Harbor. Topolobampo is one of the ports for ferries arriving from Baja. There wasn't any activity this afternoon. So we got a shot of a couple ships & started heading back.

On the way back through Los Mochis we went by a Fire Station. Ian is a fire fighter back home so wanted to stop & say hi to the local Bomberos.
The guys were very happy to have a brother firefighter stop in. They gave us a tour of the firehouse, then presented Ian with a very nice shirt.

They probably wouldn't want this crew to show up at their next fire though!

Back in El Fuerte we joined the rest of the group, went to out to dinner & ended another great day in Mexico

Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #103
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,767
I am leaving for Copper Canyon next week. This report is even more inspiration.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #104
*Gravy*
Jedi Loser

Oddometer: 4,069
Great report! I'm saving the maps for when I get my turn.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #105
rickcorwn OP
Studly Adventurer

A day off in El Forte, Sleddog already covered some of the trip out to the coast. The rest of us stayed back in town and explored some once we got our chores done. There was gear and air filters to be cleaned and the staff at the Hotel Guerrero took all of our dirty laundry and washed it for us.

Some pics of the courtyard at the hotel.

Moto parking and appliance recycling.

One of the rooms in the old part of the hotel, toilet seat optional.

Nobody's going to make off with this valuable B+W 12 incher.

Maps are out and plans are laid for the next days ride.

As you can see from the photo above fugarwe is real happy about the nachos he found at the Oxxo (convenience store) We're all thrilled that we can now get real brewed coffee at the Oxxo but with progress comes civilization, not always a good thing.

Powerhouse at the Oxxo "hey guys there's brewed coffee in here."

Special Mexican Tostitos not available in the USA.

Hooky ice cream.

The convenience store, the beginning of the end for rural Mexico.

Fugarwe and I wander the side streets doing some light shopping and we make it over to the town square.

We head to the Hotel Posada Hidalgo an upscale establishment. Part of this hotel is the birth place of Diego de la Vega better know as El Zorro. I sign up for a massage first and then we wander around this historic hotel seeing how the other half travels.

The Casa Vieja courtyard.

They tiled around the tree roots.

Fugarwe getting stuck by El Zorro.

Later I head for the municipal building just off the square.

The courtyard inside.

In our wandering we come across this small bar just across from the square with a smokin hot bar tender who shows us her bass. A fish. you people get your minds out of the gutter. Bass are are product from the lake outside of town. We note the location and plan to return with the others.

When the others get back from the coast and cleaned up we head for dinner back at the same spot as last night. Good food, good prices and big margaritas. The mural in the entry of the restaurant.

The gang's all here.

Like I said big margaritas.

Our table is outside and soon we discover that the cook's window is right by our table. Cwc checks with the cook to make sure his bean burrito is done to perfection.

After dinner most of us are off the bar we found earlier the one with the bartender with the nice bass. We catch some Mexican TV, wrestler being interviewed. Mexican TV can be like American TV was in the 50s and 60s.

After our fill of food and drink we head back to the hotel and pause for a group picture. Is this a great country or what!