User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
GS Addict OP
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,716
Wunderlich Wind Deflector

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the Wunderlich Wind Deflector on a standard R1150GS with a stock screen?
I am trying to reduce wind noise above 60mph
I am 5'10"

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...e/8110025.html

Thanks

GS Addict screwed with this post 03-26-2011 at 11:44 PM
GS Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
gonzo2k
Adliberator

Oddometer: 289
Had one... got it for a good price... sold it for what I paid.
Nicely made... very adjustable... but I found it to be too visually distracting at the top of my tall Calsci screen... in my face... had to go!
Don't see how it would be any less distracting on a regular R1150GS (I have an Adv)... stock screen or aftermarket.

Save $$$_SMUGMUG REFERRAL LINK: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=b39gXpEl6klcs
gonzo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #3
swanski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
I have one on a +4 cee bailey. It is a bit distracting at first, but I got used to it and I really like it now. It knocked out that last bit of noise over the top of my helmet.
swanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #4
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,602
I have it on mine. I'm about 6'1" though. I didn't have too much of an issue with the stock screen when it was in its lowest position, but i wanted to see if it'd help just keep some wind pressure off me. It does and does reduce the noise. I also used it on my tall aeroflow screen, it did really well there, but it also makes it tall enough that i have to look "through" it instead of over it. I'd recommend it, i know it isn't cheap, but it seems to be quite a quality unit.

BTW, i still find it to be quietest and least turbulent with the screen at its lowest setting and then the deflector angled up.

LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Interesting thread GS Addict.....at 6'3 I end up catching a lot of the breeze of my stock 1150GSA screen.

I tried the Touratech model once (the one with the unattractive piece of webbing that goes from the deflector down to the RID for bracing) and found that it made the whole windscreen move around more than without it!

I stumbled upon the Wunderlich option a few months back but never pursued it further......so I'm all ears on this thread.

I'm interested if any user of this deflector for the 1150 had ever tried the Touratech model and can comment as to whether the Wunderlich is more stable.

Not a hijack Reto.....just more info?????
Old 03-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
Interesting thread GS Addict.....at 6'3 I end up catching a lot of the breeze of my stock 1150GSA screen.

I tried the Touratech model once (the one with the unattractive piece of webbing that goes from the deflector down to the RID for bracing) and found that it made the whole windscreen move around more than without it!

I stumbled upon the Wunderlich option a few months back but never pursued it further......so I'm all ears on this thread.

I'm interested if any user of this deflector for the 1150 had ever tried the Touratech model and can comment as to whether the Wunderlich is more stable.

Not a hijack Reto.....just more info?????
i dismissed the Touratech model due to that strap and i think it was quite a bit more expensive, too. The screen does move a bit more, but it's nothing bad and nothing i am worried about.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
GS Addict OP
Pepperfool

Thanks guys, I think I'll take the plunge and try it.
I'll report back in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Old 03-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
Fighter
Head Gruver

Oddometer: 4,896
possible solution

This setup works well for me. I too had the TT flap-strap issue and never cared for it so I fixed it. I used a broken (mounting holes cracked) ADV windscreen and mounted that onto the TT bracket. I then fastened the extension shield directly to the existing screen with a short plastic sleeve, a thru bolt, and a couple of plastic screw caps.
Works well and without the strap flapping issue. I also noticed less shoulder turbulence due to the wider extension piece along with the flip-up.

OBTW I also use the Tobinator mounts.

I'm 6"'6" and sit on a custom Rocky Mayer seat that has also been built taller.
I still look over (not through) the windshield extension but the combo works well for keeping most of the bugs over and out.

Just Sayin'
Fite

Photobucket
Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
Fighter
Head Gruver

Oddometer: 4,896
Another view.
No flap strap!!

Photobucket
Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:33 AM   #11
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
Thanks guys, I think I'll take the plunge and try it.
I'll report back in a couple of weeks.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #12
GS Addict OP
Pepperfool

Road test Wunderlich Deflector

Sorry I've been so long getting back to everyone...Work comes first.

Ok, bought one and installed it.
Facts: '00 R1150 GS, Stock Windscreen, Rider 5'10", 32" inseam.

Product is very well made and looks good. The cast mount (infinitely adjustable) looks far better than any sheet metal bracket and does not need a garter belt .
The lexan screen portion is very well finished and has a couple of compound curves on it so it has some style - not just a flat piece of plexiglass.
It actually compliments the bike IMO

Installation is simple and I would use blue loctite (as suggested) on the 4 screws for permanent installations.

Road test: Amazing! After some initial adjustments I was most impressed in the reduction of buffeting especially at 60+ mph. There was still a bit on the side of my helmet but 90% of the noise was gone!
This device works...plain and simple.
Beware though, because of the reduced noise levels I found myself riding faster than I normally do - Hello Taxman
It is easy to see over and after 1/2 hour of riding I did not even notice it there. It is not distracting in any way.

I would recommend this product. The sales people at Wunderlich were very pleasant to deal with. Shipping and delivery was timely and cost effective.

Addendum: The day after bought this deflector I saw a Z Technic Z2241 Screen for a very good deal used on the MOA flea market. I bought it.
The screen arrived and I tried it as well. It did no more above than the Wunderlich deflector but helped with the side noise so I decided to keep it instead. Besides, it looks really cool and is most excellently finished.

My friend who owns a '03 GS Adventure bought the Wunderlich Deflector from me and he is 6'3".
His Comments: Very happy with....I think 6'3 is pushing the limits of it for head coverage but there is a difference.

So there you have it........ for what it is worth.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #13
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

I grabbed the wind deflector from GS Addict and after 3 weeks or so of use I can say that I'm very happy with it. It provides a calm tunnel for my melon when at higher speeds which now allow me to ride with my visor up without any issues.

As GS Addict said, the product is extremely well made and during the short time I've had it two other riders have expressed an interest in buying one.

Plus....it looks a damned sight better than the Touratech model for the 1150 GS/A with that stupid strap secured to the RID area to hold it on.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #14
sati8d
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
Super impressed

I bought this piece of gear after completing my first 1800 mile ride from where I bought the bike in Tx to home in MD. Come to find out, the buffeting is known for the R1200GSA windshield but it's really bad when passing or following non-aerodynamic vehicles, like pick-ups with ladders on top, mini-vans etc.
I ordered this as soon as I got home for 2 reasons. First due to the reviews that stated how well it worked. Second, honestly, because it's a beautifully machined piece.
So let me tell you the difference. I 've been commuting daily 42 miles RT since I bought the bike back in Mar '11 - over 9000m on her already. I had become accustomed to the quiet, especially when clear road ahead.
I went to the BMW MOA Rally in Blooomsburg and took off the deflector to go attend the Rawhyde - missed out on the training though. So instead, I left it off and went for a long ride on some back-country hard-pack dirt roads and some lovely country-road twisties - wow! The noise! I ride with a Schuberth too. The buffeting was really noticeable. I was amazed how this little piece of lexan could make such a difference.
So for the 5-hr back-road ride home, I re-installed the deflector - man what a difference! This really works. It's so easy to take off and put on. So now for road, I leave it on because it's so much better and for off-road, as you're moving handle bars up, I simply take off the deflector and off I go.
This is a fantastic piece of kit. I highly recommend it for your daily riding and taking it off when going off-road. Much cheaper than buying a new windshield.

TC

'09 R1200 GS Adv, '82 750 VFR, '84 XT 600'76 TT50, '74 Fantic Enduro 50cc
sati8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
lukeinlondon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
im reading this in hope that it may be a solution to my KTM 950 SMR..i am getting hit in the shoulders after putting the 690 screen...so if i could get that wind a couple of inches higher!!!...

and i also just have to accept that its not a GS with one of those great screens that you could have your visor up at bloody 60!
lukeinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote