Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
Sopranos OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
R1200GS on a lift

Hey guys,

planning to get a motorcycle lift, air operated. Do I need one? Not really, the wife says...Well one could live off the bread and water only but....you get the point LOL!!!

Anyways, I'd like to use the lift on everyday basis to park it on it since it comes with the front wheel vise/lock, but I see they don't recommend riding any equipment on it, instead push it on....I've never been comfortable pushing this bike, so do you use lifts and if so, do you ride your bike on it or push it?

Thanks everyone
Sopranos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 936
The kid's got a Handy lift (recommended) that we both use and push the bikes on. If you have the side extensions, you would be comfortable and safe riding it on as there's lots of room to put your feet down. As with most things, pushing the bike on just takes a little getting used to. The first several times, get somebody to help steady the bike on the other side as you run it on up and into the wheel chock (chock/vise is highly recommended). Hold the bike steady with one hand while you crank the chock closed with the other and you're good to either (a) put it on the center stand and/or (b) tie it down. For right or wrong, I often, but not always, tie it down when it's on the center stand.

My $0.02

A cleaning session after a day in the slush, salt and mush.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA

popscycle screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 08:14 AM
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
bobframe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
I am a 1200gs owner and recently bought my first lift. I park the bike on the lift full time and always push the bike onto the lift. Some thoughts for you:
1. I'm 6'3" and my height gives me the ability to control the bike when pushing it onto the lift. My 5'8" buddy struggles pushing his bike into his lift and now rides the bike on. So it can be done either way.
2. If you ride into the lift you need to consider how you dismount and keep the bike under control. Some will use a chock instead of a vise and this gives you some added control when parking the bike. But it also presents a challenge when it's time to take the bike down.
3. Consider a lift with side extensions. The extra 12" or so on each side gives you a much bigger platform to work with and may make life easier when moving your bike. My buddy ended up making side extensions out of 2" x 8" lumber. These may not be pretty but they give him the functionality he needed.
4. Lift prices vary a lot. The Harbor Freight lift gets high marks for low cost and adequate functioning. There are heavier duty lifts like Titan and Atlas that require a small air compressor and can be had for $800 or so. The Cadillacs of lift tables, like Handy, are pro quality and will cost $1000+.
5. Buying used makes great sense if you can be patient. Cruise Craigslist for. Deal. Be prepared for a workout when moving a lift as they can weight 500 pound or more.

Hope this helps.

bobframe screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 01:44 PM
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
Sopranos OP
Adventurer

Looks amazing, thanks for your comments...I can get it with the side extensions, something I'll consider for sure. Thanks again
Old 02-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #5
Sopranos OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
I am a 1200gs owner a recently bought my first lift. I park the bike on the lift full time and always push the bike onto the lift. Some thoughts for you:
1. I'm 6'3" and my height gives me the ability to control the bike when pushing it onto the lift. My 5'8" buddy struggles pushing his bike into his lift and now rides the bike on. So it can be done either way.
2. If you ride into the lift you need to consider how you dismount and keep the bike under control. Some will use a chock instead of a vise and this gives you some added control when parking the bike. But it also presents a challenge when it's time to take the bike down.
3. Consider a lift with side extensions. The extra 12" or do on each side gives you a much bigger platform to work with and may make life easier when moving your bike. My buddy ended up making side extensions out of 2" x 8" lumber. These may not be pretty but they give him the functionality he needed.
4. Lift prices vary a lot. The Harbor Freight lift gets high marks for low cost and adequate functioning. There are heavier duty lifts like Titan and Atlas that require a small air compressor and can be had for $800 or so. The Cadillacs of lift tables, like Handy, are pro quality and will cost $1000+.
5. Buying used makes great sense if you can be patient. Cruise Craigslist for. Deal. Be prepared for a workout when moving a lift as they can weight 500 pound or more.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot, appreciate your comments very much.
As I am in Canada, shipping/import would be a killer to get anything from the States. I don't know why we don't have options like you do guys, but it is what it is....So far I think this is the best deal for Canadians, shipping a side again
http://premiumbikelifts.com/product_details.php?id=731
Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopranos View Post
As I am in Canada, shipping/import would be a killer to get anything from the States. I don't know why we don't have options like you do guys, but it is what it is....So far I think this is the best deal for Canadians, shipping a side again

That certainly looks like a high-quality lift. Good luck with whatever you do.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #7
szazbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Drive it on fan

I am 6'3 and drive my bike onto the lift without side extensions. Granted the table is a few inches wider than most. Drove the K1600 on also. Just have a spotter the 1st few times. I do use a chock and then as I learned the hard way always will tie the bike down. (learned that from the K1600 after this photo was taken). Your confidence is essential as you work the clutch and crawl up onto the lift. I tried pushing the K1600 up on the lift and that was way worse than riding it up. I got a K&L Hydraulic while not cheap has a lot of height, 1500# and the rollers are self contained in the lift frame and do not roll on the garage floor surface. I didnt want to screw up my floor.

szazbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
Sopranos OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by szazbo View Post
... and the rollers are self contained in the lift frame and do not roll on the garage floor surface. I didnt want to screw up my floor.
Very interesting point, didn't think they make them like that....hmmm now I have to investigate that more

BTW I am 6'1 and always had an issue pushing this bike properly, I guess I just never got a hang of it....
Old 02-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #9
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,006
Having a lift saves a lot of wear and tear on your body if you do your own maintenance. I spent a lot of years crawling around on the garage floor working on my bikes and having the lift make things easier and take less time.
Getting the bike on the lift takes some practice. I usually ride my 1150 up there. If it's running of course. If I have to push it I get some help. Smaller bikes I just push up there. I've got a roll in chauk that will hold the big GS well enough for me to dismount. But I always strap it down before I walk away.
I've got the HF hydraulic. It's been good for me. The price was sure right. I sure do like the K&L that szazbo has though. Heck I like his whole garage.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
milo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Mine is an old Handy Lift (electric) which may be out of business now? My friend recently bought one from Harbor freight and I forget how much but with a coupon it was cheap.

It's really no problem just pushing your bike forward on a lift into the chock. The first time I was apprehensive steadying the bike upright while bending over and cranking the clamp on the front wheel but it was quite steady and no problem at all.
Now I can roll my Electra Glide backwards and up on the lift, sometimes it takes me a few tries to because it's easy to miss-aim getting the rear wheel in the chock.
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #11
bobframe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
One thing to consider is the length of the ramp. My lift came with two ramps...one is about 20" and the other is about twice that. The longer ramp means that the ramp sits a a much shallower angle and is MUCH easier to push the bike up it. If my lift hadn't come with this it might have been worth my time to build a longer ramp for it.

bobframe screwed with this post 02-27-2014 at 10:09 AM
bobframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #12
Sopranos OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
One thing to consider is the length of the ramp. My lift came with two ramps...one is about 20" and the other is about twice that. The longer ramp means that the ramp sits a a much shallower angle and is MUCH easier to push the bike up it. If my lift hadn't come with this it might have been worth my time to build a longer ramp for it.
Yeah for sure, the one I am interested in comes with 20" ramp, and that's why I became "scared" so to speak about pushing it up when I already have an issue of pushing the bike...
Old 02-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #13
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,852
I got tired of the lift taking up space and the bitch of parking on it.
If you ride every day, putting it on and off the lift, especially when tired or wet just is too risky and pain in the ass.

I cut my floor and put it underground. Now it's even/level with the floor and there is always a bike on it.

Link to the job here if you're interested: http://www.theridecentral.com/forum/...-going-on-here

I've never used my lift so much as I do with it in the ground. Sometimes the neighbors come over just to see it work
1975 R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #14
Sopranos OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
I got tired of the lift taking up space and the bitch of parking on it.
If you ride every day, putting it on and off the lift, especially when tired or wet just is too risky and pain in the ass.

I cut my floor and put it underground. Now it's even/level with the floor and there is always a bike on it.

Link to the job here if you're interested: http://www.theridecentral.com/forum/...-going-on-here

I've never used my lift so much as I do with it in the ground. Sometimes the neighbors come over just to see it work

HAHAHAHA this is awesome man, wow...looks amazing...I wish I could do something like that, looks like a lot of work and tools went into making this but it's AWESOME
Old 02-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #15
Lead Wrist
More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer: 101
have you looked at local Princess Auto store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopranos View Post
Canadian version of Harbor Freight called Princess Auto, which should have a store or two in Calgary, has 2 lifts you may find suitable for your use:

1. http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/V...Lift/8228215.p

2. http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/V...Lift/8133860.p

The quality is not equal to 1000$ lifts for sure but either lift may work for you equally well. The more expensive lift does go on sale few times a year and costs approx. same amount as less expensive one during its sale days...

HTH