Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #151
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
I saw a bike just like yours over the weekend...
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #152
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke View Post
I saw a bike just like yours over the weekend...
Damn copycats. I should sue that bastard. I hope you peed on his tent for me.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:19 PM   #153
DC,Chad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
superb work

now she's proof tested time for the fine finish and detailing

ive no doubt the finished article is going to be very impressive

RD03 Africa twin slowly coming together
DC,Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #154
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Hey Sailah,
interesting build! Good work, very good result!
I'm not the one to call for 4-cylinder off-roaders, I prefer twins - nowadays only in midsize, as I think that about 750 cc and some 50 - 70 bhp are enough. But your bike is really amazing!
Concerning 'Pic from west virginia': This brings back fond memories of long burnt down German camp-fires and singing with my younger brother and his/our friends: 'Almost heaven, West Virginia, Blueridge Mountains, Shannandoh River ...' oh these good old days! None of us has been there, but I'm sure, that everyone of us should have been ...
Kind regards, Bambi ... who had a few beers, feeling a bit like beside the bespoked camp-fires ...
Old 05-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #155
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Hey Sailah,
interesting build! Good work, very good result!
I'm not the one to call for 4-cylinder off-roaders, I prefer twins - nowadays only in midsize, as I think that about 750 cc and some 50 - 70 bhp are enough. But your bike is really amazing!
Concerning 'Pic from west virginia': This brings back fond memories of long burnt down German camp-fires and singing with my younger brother and his/our friends: 'Almost heaven, West Virginia, Blueridge Mountains, Shannandoh River ...' oh these good old days! None of us has been there, but I'm sure, that everyone of us should have been ...
Kind regards, Bambi ... who had a few beers, feeling a bit like beside the bespoked camp-fires ...
thanks bambi!! The areas you spoke of are pretty sweet riding areas. I was riding the blueridge mtns and west virginia all this weekend!!

Bike is def in excess I don't think anyone questions that, but that's the fun part. Offroad it is way too much, but on road it is about heaven. The power is there if you want it, but docile when you don't. C'mon over from Germany and I'll show you a good time in the song places you mentioned. (that also means I want the reciprocal in Germany...)
Old 05-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #156
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,298
Guest tester #1

Hey Pete,
It was great riding with you and the Ronin Saturday on the Banjo run!

I was the first other guy to try your bike and came away very impressed. It looks like it would eat you for lunch but is really easy tro ride normal. No doubt the power never ends , you'll probably never want more.

I rode out a few miles on 18 then swapped with Brad , here . He races a lot of hair scrambles and does pretty good. I watched him do a couple of bunny hops to feel out the bike then he hoisted a 3' high 50 yard wheelie. There's plenty more ,it just needs more space.

I'll testify after riding behind you in the gravel , when you hit it , the rear throws up gravel by the shovelful.

Good luck with the refinement process, your already damn close!
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:18 PM   #157
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Hello Sailah,
thanks for your invitation!
And if you come to Germany, feel free to contact me! One of the meadows is just around the corner and still existing the same way as some 15 years ago. My brother and some friends will be eager to relive these old parties, too and enough beer and some barbeque will be right at hand. And my voice is still alright to sing country and blues. Not so good concerning my beloved progressive rock like Jon Anderson of Yes, Peter Gabriel in his Genesis-times or more up-to-date Dream Theater's James La Brie and Ted Leonhard of Enchant!
You're welcome!
Kind regards, Bambi
Old 05-25-2011, 08:38 PM   #158
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Hey Pete,
It was great riding with you and the Ronin Saturday on the Banjo run!

I was the first other guy to try your bike and came away very impressed. It looks like it would eat you for lunch but is really easy tro ride normal. No doubt the power never ends , you'll probably never want more.

I rode out a few miles on 18 then swapped with Brad , here . He races a lot of hair scrambles and does pretty good. I watched him do a couple of bunny hops to feel out the bike then he hoisted a 3' high 50 yard wheelie. There's plenty more ,it just needs more space.

I'll testify after riding behind you in the gravel , when you hit it , the rear throws up gravel by the shovelful.

Good luck with the refinement process, your already damn close!
Thanks for the props, enjoyed the ride with you and brad. That Kevin sure knows his stuff. See you next year!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #159
jimbee
Airhead Intermediate

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post

I made a shifter lever that I will weld on. Ran out of time.
COngradulations on getting this project on the road. AMAZING! My FZ1 scares the crap out of me on the dirt!

Sounds like you've spent time on the fz1oa board and so you may already know this, but adding the shorter R1 shift linkage makes shifitng shorter and smoother.

following attentively!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #160
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbee View Post
COngradulations on getting this project on the road. AMAZING! My FZ1 scares the crap out of me on the dirt!

Sounds like you've spent time on the fz1oa board and so you may already know this, but adding the shorter R1 shift linkage makes shifitng shorter and smoother.

following attentively!
Thanks, it's been great. I'm glad I didn't powder coat it yet I need to redo some things but nothing major. Been riding it a bit and it's just a total blast.

I might wait until this fall to tear it down and make small changes then. Bag mounts are a needed redo
Old 06-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #161
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank wheelbarrow View Post
Looking good! Hope your making your trip!! Ktm runs there front brake lines to the inside of the forks... I think maybe less chance of snagging something.
Btw I'm having these two images made into one sticker...

Old 06-04-2011, 05:40 AM   #162
frank wheelbarrow
ten four

Oddometer: 714
Sounds like I can relax
know that they are only 5 outcomes at the end of the two weeks: Finish, Mechanical, Abandon, Injuries, Death.
frank wheelbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #163
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
That is the sickest scrambler I've seen, that beast would be right at home on the thousands of miles of gravel in N.Ontario & Quebec. Trans Taiga ride next year?
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #164
sailah OP
Lampin' it

just having a blast riding it. I hate to say it but I've gotten used to the power

Will be updating the thread later this fall when I strip it down and redo it including paint etc.

Busy with my new toy (13x40 lathe and tooling) and working on a vintage replica.

Ronin comtinues to run as expected. Its fast and very fun. Things def need to be finished but as a whole its awesome, highly recommended.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #165
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Yay new forum bump!!

I don't know if I ever told the story about finishing this bike right before the Eastern Rendezvous...I was clearly under a hard deadline to finish so there were many things rushed and shoddy work performed. It will all get fixed properly this winter.

Up until 2 days before I was to head to NC from Pittsburgh, I had no seat, no second pannier, the bike did not run and the wiring was a mess. My first order was to get it running as it made no sense to finish work if it went nowhere. I reached out to an FZ1 expert on FZ1OA.com who was a savior. He helped me pin out the wiring harness to locate the fault that wasn't allowing ignition. The bike would crank but no spark. Turned out the sidestand cutout switch had a broken wire under the sheath and I had no idea. Swapped it and vroom!!!!!

So now 24 hours before I need to leave I finally had it running. But I couldn't ride it as I had no seat. I also need the second pannier and I did not have mounts yet. I can't remember the 48 hours before as I pretty much worked straight. I do remember about 3am of my takeoff day resting my head on the tank and falling asleep for about 20 minutes.

I waited until 8am that morning out of respect for my neighbors to fire up the chop saw for the second pannier build. Welded that bad boy up and got to mounting. I ended up using a 3/4" bolt to just slam it on there, its still the mount btw!!! Drilled out the latches, and riveted them.

From this:

To this in an hour of welding:

Now mind you, at this point I hadn't slept in 48 hours and fatigue was setting in. I made mistakes, I was frustrated, panicked and constantly looking at the clock. I figured my drop dead time was 1pm as I had about a 7 hour ride to get down to the rally.

I think about 12:30pm I dropped all the tools, ran inside took a shower and started throwing my gear together.

One pannier had a shitload of tools, tent pad and bag. The other had clothes and misc.

I have still not ridden the bike more than 1 block at this point.

I jumped into my gear and was taillights at 1pm. Stopped after 1/4 mile and realized I had forgotten to tighten the rear axle bolt. I told you I was tired Stupid, that could have been a major problem...

roll out of downtown Pittsburgh to hit the highway and right into a roadblock. Stupid Joe Biden was in town and the State Police blocked the road for 45 minutes. It was hot too

Made it to the highway and was just cruising at 65, remember I was scared shitless that something important was going to fall off at anytime. It didn't. By the time I made it down through WV, I was having a blast. The adrenaline and pride in making something overcame the fatigue and I rolled into the rally ready for a beer. Or 10.

Suffice to say, I ran the hangover ride the next day which left at 10:45. Had a blast.

The trust has grown over the last few months and there's not much I want to change, but there are a few things I would do differently. Haven't had a lick of trouble (other than countershaft nut "disappearing") with Ronin, been 2500 miles of fun every mile.

Bike is easily handled, sounds great, heat from exhaust is totally fine, power is fantastic. Front tire has been pushed to its limits in a hard braking scenario, might be nice to have a fatter one.

Couple observations:

Sport bike trannys are really closely geared so they aren't ideal for this type of bike assuming you are building it more for off road. I wasn't, I really wanted a do everything bike, so for me it works very well. I geared it down anyways so that helps with first gear. I've ripped through 130 (on GPS...) with plenty left in the tank...

I have decided to ditch the YZ450 triples and use real KTM triples. I wasn't proud of my "machining" to get them to work and there's something not quite right about the current setup. I have the new triples and expect to put my new lathe to work to get them matched. I'm also going to ditch the ball bearing and go tapered roller setup.

The seat works very well, however I wish it wasn't so stuck in the air i.e. the tail section should be lowered but that ain't happening I could massage the foam to raise the center section, but it's already pretty high.

Panniers are fine, but I am going to redo them from scratch.

"Custom" GPS holder I was riding down to the rally and the GPS would just turn off. The aluminum was transferring the vibes really bad and shutting it down. Which is super handy when you are riding to a state you have never been before in the dark and tired and have no idea where you are going. I ended up keeping it in my jacket pocket and pulling it out when I wasn't sure. The sock has been there since the ride home from NC, works great.

I don't think there's anything left to modify on the frame, so this winter will be a tear down , clean up any brackets and get it coated.

Nessmuk