Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #256
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,044
Came over from the Snow bikes conversion thread. I have a FZ-1 that I got a few months ago. All i can say is, DAMN!!! I want one.

Great build.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #257
elephant man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
seen the new versys?

kawasaki probably read you (awsome!) thread and stole your idea...
what about a bash plate?
and maybe even a small wind deflactor?
elephant man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #258
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
Came over from the Snow bikes conversion thread. I have a FZ-1 that I got a few months ago. All i can say is, DAMN!!! I want one.

Great build.
Thanks it's as much fun to ride as it looks. Got the conti trail attacks this time anxious to see how they do. Got 5 k from a scorpion rear which I was honestly shocked by, I'm hard on rear tires. I will tear it down and fix some stuff and get it looking sharp with paint. Also have some really trick custom bits,, one from germany that was hand made...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant man View Post
kawasaki probably read you (awsome!) thread and stole your idea...
what about a bash plate?
and maybe even a small wind deflactor?
I haven't ridden the new versys but the 650 needs a rocket to keep up. I raced a buddy on a vstrom 1 k up an on ramp and it wasn't even close. The lamborghini murcialago my buddy has was also not close but not in my favor

Bash plate maybe. I'm doing mostly dirt roads etc with it. I offroad ed a bunch thissummer

With it. Yada yada, I now have a 450...

No wind screen ever. Did 500 miles day no issues. I hate buffeting more than a sore neck

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #259
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Haven't updated this forever

Built a new fender And installed new tires

redid the pannier racks much better than before, way stronger and no rattles plus they come off with these fancy little bushing thingsI made

Got the cbr on the lift for the final push

Finished adding the new tool post to my lathe, much nicer

Almost ready for the final tear down. Couple more welding projects and then i'm ready to rip down to the frame and get the frame coated. Rethinking the orange frame, might go with silver instead

Nessmuk

sailah screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 07:26 PM
Old 04-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #260
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Well I didn't get it powdercoated yet... I went on an 1800 mile trip to NC and back on some really excellent roads from Pittsburgh, had a blast.

Been thinking about hauling a lightweight trailer for some down the road adventures. Mostly hauling a dirt bike or a canoe on a purpose built ultra lightweight aluminum trailer. I think with my revised trailer design I have the weight study down to about 70lbs. Plus a 250# bike. Should be no sweat.

I needed to weld the mounts to the bike frame before it gets finished, so I decided to get those done. This is what I came up with for the mounts, it's necked down to 23/32" for a thru hole which I will drill in the frame all the way through and then weld around it. Tapped for M8 1.25 thread. The tubing I welded in a tube end threaded for a M8 rod end.

Basic mounting idea on some scrap tubing (the scrap is 7/8" OD the frame is 1.25" OD so it will have more strength)

This is the main support for the subframe and the attachment point for the main hitch bars. Should be around where my calf is on the bike. The boss above will get drilled and welded here and then attached with an M8 bolt

Here's the ass end. The lower bars of the hitch do the pulling and stopping and are 1" 0.065" DOM tubing. I bent the lowers on my JD2 bender to wrap around the tires. The upper supports are 7/8" tubing, same tubing insert and M8 rod end as the lowers.

Shot from above, I haven't welded in the uprights yet. I plan on disconnecting the battery and ECU and finish welding those on the bike after I have drill and welded all the bosses, should help with getting it aligned. After I have it just where I want it, I'll make up some plating with lighting holes and weld that in between the tubes for added rigidity.

I think the whole thing is overkill for such a lightweight setup, I'll hopefully get the metal to build the trailer in the next couple months and get that knocked out. My plan is a single aluminum channel, probably 5" structural aluminum. I was going to run some elaborate suspension with a 3 link, transverse spring etc, but then decided that the dirt bike I'm hauling is more than capable of taking a few bumps. I'll try it with out suspension, if it doesn't work I can add it later. Axle will be a custom job on my lathe, I'm think somewhere around 4' wide?? Not sure. The trailer will be really low to the ground with small 8" tires and the channel U-bolted right to that.

Nessmuk
Old 04-18-2012, 05:11 AM   #261
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,227
trailer build, very interested! i thought that depending on what trailer wheels you run, you could run your channel under the axle to keep the cog a few inches lower.

maybe use a set of sumo wheels that you could install onto your bike at the destination if you had to

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=503013
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #262
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,128
Dont forget a crossbar to strap the bike too. It will make it easier to secure.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #263
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,730
Darnit! Got suckered in on the thread only to see it's nearly a year old - save that last post.

Was there ever a final picture?

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #264
sailah OP
Lampin' it

It looks pretty much exactly the same haha

after I finish the new bike I'm going to tear the ronin down and fix some things I know I can do better.

The basic premise of the bike is sound but after living with it for a couple years and 20k miles I would like to make some changes such as

Fix rear brake
Lower subframe angle
build airbox and get rid of those stupid pod filters
Redo front lights
Raise the bars
Remake pannier racks

Nessmuk
Old 04-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #265
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Taking the bike on a trip this weekend, was hoping to have the Ninja done, but no chance and the CBR isn't exactly a weekend bike. So I dragged the FZ1 out of storage and it was suffering from some neglect. Hadn't been cleaned in awhile and was generally a little sad.

I got sick of the rust on the tail section so I decided to prime and paint it until I can sandblast this winter when I will be redoing the bike and correcting some of my hastily built subassemblies.

Stuff I did:

Reset TPS
Cleaned filters
Oil Change
Complete fork rebuilds
Redid wiring harness
Cleaned and scrubbed entire bike
Re-wrapped exhaust in new header wrap and shot with silicone
520 conversion
Rebuilt swingarm
Sync'd carbs

And about 38 other things I forgot about. I did fire the bike up outside after I got it out of storage and it came right to life. I miss that sound...

I know the 2 tone looks a little ridiculous but I was sick of looking at the rust starting and constantly sanding it so I will deal with the derision until I can strip the bike down again.

Typical state of affairs 2 days before a long trip

Nessmuk
Old 08-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #266
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Bump just for the awesome quotient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Time for shifter version 2.0

I borrowed liberally from Loadeds rearset on his Guzzi, I hope he doesn't mind

Not having a milling machine, I had to improvise. First was to mark out the radius holes.

Next I scribed the cut lines and cut the voids out with a jig saw lubed with diesel.

Here's the CAD file I drew

Then I chucked up a straight flute bit in my "milling machine" and clamped a guide down. The plate is 3/8 6061 so it's a lot to hog. I basically tried to just kiss it. I'll file it and finish it with sandpaper later.

Put the rough part in a 4 jaw chuck and centered with the live center in the tailstock. Bored out bearing journal for a 16001 I found from a CR500 motor rebuild I did. I plan on running a shoulder bolt to a tapped sleeve in the rearset and then use a turned cap to cover the bearing and bolt and secure it with SS button screws.

I need to finish up the outside cuts, bore and ream the holes for both the toe part and the linkage point and then weld the sleeve in the rearset.

I'll have to do the brake lever now too, man this takes a long time by hand when you don't know what you are doing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Ran The bike hard this weekend. Did 1209 miles and no issues.

Thoughts

Suspension is brilliant. Handled everything from rough gravel to fast sweeper s and right twisties. Never got upset or unsettled

Motor is incredible. super smooth with tons of power on tap. Revs to the moon

Seat and ergos are great but I need to redo the seat as I rushed it. Very sporty with sumo seating position and dirt bars.

Front brakes are good, rear ktm brake sucks but I knew that.

Lots of small things I will change or tweak but the overall package is impressive. I let a few guys ride it at the rendezvous an nd I think they all liked it based on the looks on their faces. Hopefully they will pipe up.

it's def a road biased bike but will go where you want. I though t it was pretty easy to build, could easily skip a lot of the steps I did and have a really fun bike for short money.

I do think the ktm front and rear needs to be used as a pair and with that said, extensive subframe mods are needed.

Pic from west virginia

I will redo the bags and mounts def not what I wanted but worked for the trip.
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #267
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Thanks, not much has changed other than what I outlined. Still runs flawless and has been exceptionally reliable.

The "core" of the bike is still awesome, I think with some of my new fabrication skills I will choose to redo to my liking. Overall for my first bike build ever, I am happy with the result years later.

The new Ninja 650 I built sharpens the point on what I originally intended the FZ1 to be. Give up some outright horsepower and speed for much smaller footprint, MUCH less weight, centralized mass etc.

Just ripped off a 2000 mile trip to Maine and back a month or so ago.

Nessmuk