sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
This is bloody awesome.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks Mate!!

Pulled another all nighter and got some more of the seat done. Scrapped the FYYFF seat pan and built another that was actually comfortable. Got the stop light/brake light mount welded in and finished the rear look of the bike. Need to mount the blinkers just don't have much lateral room with the bags there.

I'll post pics tonight.
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #107
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Sorry for the lack of progress updates, been working like crazy on this thing. Trying to nail down all the wiring runs and stock parts. My deadline is monday delivery to the powder coater.

No fun pics yet, bike is torn back down most of the way because I had to send the suspension to Trail Tricks. I will say that my light bar is bitching tough as I have the entire front end of the bike hanging from it

Was going to make my own brake lines, but after talking to Spiegler Performance and hearing what it would cost to have them professionally built, I decided to go that route. The problem with the Russell stuff is that it is bulky and the fittings are expensive as they aren't swaged. These Speigler lines are sweet. I chose blue translucent with titanium fittings and motocross hard lines. They send you a cool tool that allows you to rotate the fitting as well. Double banjo bolt to the stock Fz1 master cyl.

I'll try and update as I go but the next 3 days are crunch time to finish the frame welding after which I can do busy work like the seat and the second pannier while the frame is gone.

I was going to try and fire it up but figured out I am missing the tip over sensor and I don't think it will fire without it. I have one on order from Ebay.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #108
sailah OP
Lampin' it

not a lot of talking just pics, tired

Redid brake side. Lowered the pegs by making some sweet billet rearsets. I'm selling these for $999, send me a note if you want some. That's $999 per side btw;)

Found some square tubing that somehow fit the pegs exactly. I stole them from my Yamaha Yz450 project. Welded them to the plate and then a pivot bolt for the stock ktm 950 rear brake. Made a plate for the master cylinder.

The tail section is getting closer. I redid it numerous times.

Bags in place, and new seat pan. I don't know what I was thinking with that old one I made. It would have been unrideable. This is much more comfy and lower too.

Stock FZ1 brake lights. I used the marker lghts off a CBR600 cafe racer project that I will never get to. I like them because I don;t have a lot of room and they were free. Not sure how legal they are...

I'm most pleased with thisshifter arrangement. I made it from a Honda Trail 90 hollow axle. And a bolt I found. And the remains of the KTM 950 swingarm bolt. Cut the socket off that bolt on the left, welded it to the plate. The 950 bolt spins on that bolt. The trail 90 is the new shaft. I found the socket cap and welded it back to the trail 90 shaft to have something to tap. Found an M6 SS socket cap screw that now attaches the stock linkage.

Still needs to be polished off, the bolt cut, but pretty slick out of free parts.

I made a shifter lever that I will weld on. Ran out of time.

I also decided not to rush into a powder coat job. I'm going to get a much done as I can between now and the 19th when I leave for the eastern rendezvous. That will be my shake down run. If I like how everything works, I'll tear it down and get it coated when I get back,

I just know there will be something I forget, I'm running out of time to have it ready to get blasted monday, and if I don't like something, it's a lot easier to reweld with a little surface ruat than a thick coat of powder that will need to get redone. Makes me realize I am a lot closer now.

Still need to make the other bag. I got a lot of work done on the mounts, just little stuff like ordering the knobs to hold on the bags etc.

sailah screwed with this post 05-07-2011 at 09:26 PM
Old 05-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #109
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,743
Damn Pete, you've been busy. I wondered why you weren't at QS&L last Thursday. Let me know when it's time to start the wiring and I'll bring the Subway hoagies.
PABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:09 AM   #110
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,861
its coming together quickly, I wish I could work that fast on my bikes.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:45 AM   #111
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABiker View Post
Damn Pete, you've been busy. I wondered why you weren't at QS&L last Thursday. Let me know when it's time to start the wiring and I'll bring the Subway hoagies.

wassup bro. The wiring is going to be pretty simple. I have a full uncut factory harness and am making it basically the exact same. The PIAA lights I need to work on getting one aimed hi. I may get one of those sweet LED monster lights and mount it in the middle for highs and then keep the 2 PIAAs as low beams. n I swapped ends on the KTM for Yamaha rear brake switch.

Other than that, I want to run a battery tender plug and maybe a small fuse block for GPS, 12v plug etc.

I noticed there hasn't been a whole lotta "hey lets go over to Pete's and help him out" garage days... Cripes Donnie has a muffler bearing that needs changed and 80% of RCR is over at your garage

That's ok because when I roll this thing out at bike night I'm hanging out with the turbo Busa crowd and ignoring yinz.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:50 AM   #112
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
wassup bro. The wiring is going to be pretty simple. I have a full uncut factory harness and am making it basically the exact same. The PIAA lights I need to work on getting one aimed hi. I may get one of those sweet LED monster lights and mount it in the middle for highs and then keep the 2 PIAAs as low beams. n I swapped ends on the KTM for Yamaha rear brake switch.

Other than that, I want to run a battery tender plug and maybe a small fuse block for GPS, 12v plug etc.

I noticed there hasn't been a whole lotta "hey lets go over to Pete's and help him out" garage days... Cripes Donnie has a muffler bearing that needs changed and 80% of RCR is over at your garage

That's ok because when I roll this thing out at bike night I'm hanging out with the turbo Busa crowd and ignoring yinz.
I haven't been home much, plus you are not in the easiest part of town to get to.

When do you plan to hit Larry's place? We'll have a sand blast party.
PABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:50 AM   #113
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
its coming together quickly, I wish I could work that fast on my bikes.
It's been a LOT of work that doesn't show in the pics. Plus I'm not a professional here, so most of my time is spent thinking of how to come up with a solution, trying it, then realizing 3 days later it won't work as there are clearance issues and redoing it.

This is the only bike I have that (hopefully) runs so there aren't a lot of distractions anyways. Most nights I work until 12-2 on it so I am getting solid time. Just can't run the grinders at that hour.

One thing that helps is driving around all day. I am constantly coming up with solutions during the day so I usually have a game plan in place before I start cutting. Sometimes not
Old 05-09-2011, 04:56 AM   #114
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABiker View Post
I haven't been home much, plus you are not in the easiest part of town to get to.

When do you plan to hit Larry's place? We'll have a sand blast party.
Hey I come out to Cranberry to drink beers, it's the same road dude...

I decided not to sandblast and coat it prior to going on the trip. Too many unknowns and the schedule is just too compressed to have the frame gone that long. Plus you know as soon as I get it back, I'll realize there's a bracket I forgot to weld on.

Here's the timetable.

Finish getting it mocked up by the end of Saturday. Suspension should be back by then. Rip it apart Sunday and finish welding all the joints. WD 40 it, and wire it up. Might go for a ride on Sunday if all goes well.

I leave on Thurs 19th so I have 4 days from the weekend to fix any major problems.

That's the plan at least.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:40 AM   #115
rideaholic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Hey I come out to Cranberry to drink beers, it's the same road dude...

I decided not to sandblast and coat it prior to going on the trip. Too many unknowns and the schedule is just too compressed to have the frame gone that long. Plus you know as soon as I get it back, I'll realize there's a bracket I forgot to weld on.

Here's the timetable.

Finish getting it mocked up by the end of Saturday. Suspension should be back by then. Rip it apart Sunday and finish welding all the joints. WD 40 it, and wire it up. Might go for a ride on Sunday if all goes well.

I leave on Thurs 19th so I have 4 days from the weekend to fix any major problems.

That's the plan at least.
Let me know when the test ride is going to be. I'll ride behind you to see if any parts fall off. :)

I expect to see the front wheel off the ground at some point. ;)
rideaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:23 AM   #116
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideaholic View Post
Let me know when the test ride is going to be. I'll ride behind you to see if any parts fall off. :)

I expect to see the front wheel off the ground at some point. ;)
I'll throw some knobs on it. Make sure you ride REAL close

-Red Rooster
Old 05-09-2011, 06:27 AM   #117
rideaholic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
I'll throw some knobs on it. Make sure you ride REAL close

-Red Rooster

haha
rideaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:18 AM   #118
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Alright, sorry for the lack of updates but there's been some considerable progress.

I did wire it up and everything works in terms of lights, relays, fuel pump and the bike does crank. I don't have the temp fuel hooked up.

I lined the tank with POR, should be done in 2 days completely dry.

Got the seat mounts sorta done, will finish the seat tomorrow.

Got front blinkers mounted. These fat bastards are stock FZ1 and I will replace with some trick slim LEDs when I get back from NC.

Also mounted horn and gauges are mounted securely to aluminum plate.

No room for ignition switch on the cluster or near bars so I went under the frame like my old Hondas

Wrapped exhaust with titanium wrap, supposed to keep the temps way down and doesn't need to get soaked in water first. I need to redo it finally, but there for mockup purposes. I also welded on the tang to the SS pipe to mount to the frame so the exhaust is totally done. I do plan on cutting the pipe when I get back to tweak the can to center. It doesn't align perfectly and annoys me, but not enough to start a ss welding project 4 days before I leave with no seat and only one pannier!!!

Did the carb equalization mod. I also reran the vacuum chamber expansion tubes. Eliminated the coolant running through the carbs by bypassing it from the thermostat to radiator with the stock hose. Helps clean up the random hoses under the tank.

Got the suspension back from Trail Tricks. No ride yet but Javier has been great to deal with. He put 0.64's in the front vs the 44 or 48's that come stock I think. I forget it has been awhile since I had a 950 but I did upgrade mine to 54 in a stock bike so these should be plenty stiff. You can see the new brake lines I got made from Spiegler, they work/look awesome. New pads too. I need to get fork guards mounted as well as work out the brake line holders. I have some ideas for that I will try today.

So as I mentioned, no powdercoat before I leave.

I decided to mount the ECU, tip over switch and various relays underneath the tank sorta equal to the coils. I will make a aluminum pan and rubber mount it. Best solution I can come up with, not a lot of room under the seat.

OK RANT ON:

I ordered a custom rear sprocket from ***ahem*** "A custom rear sprocket maker" ***ahem***. I ordered it 3.5 weeks ago. When I ordered it I said I need a 48T rear sprocket, 530 pitch with a KTM 950 bolt pattern and inner hub clearance. She said no problem, we have the KTM 950 specs on hand.

"Basically you want to mount a 48T sprocket on a KTM 950 running a 530 chain?"

"You got it."

It shows up yesterday evening after I was told (and called) repeatedly for the last 2 weeks that it would be there weeks ago. Looks great, well tooled.

anyone see the problem:

bolt holes are 5.4 mm. KTM has a M10 sprocket bolt. I called them up last night and explained the situation.

paraphrasing here: I'm going on a 4 day trip to shake this bike down which is why I have been working until 2 am and pissing my wife off and slacking at my own business to get this done. everything in my life has taken a back seat which is why I ordered your sprocket almost a month ago to ensure that this wouldn't happen. If I wait until tuesday I basically won't have time to test ride this before I leave on thurs as wed is my daughters birthday and I need to work.

Them, first the phone answerer, then after 20 minutes on hold the OWNER of the company:

Ship it back to us and we'll make it right. I understand you are leaving on a trip, this is the best I can do. We pulled a No 2 drill out to put the holes in, it should have been a 10mm, sorry.

Me:you mean you can't jump on amilling machine and whip this thing out? It's 3pm in California surely you can send fedex next day with sat delivery?

Owner:Sorry, that's the best we can do. Or you can drill the holes out. Or take it to a machine shop and have them do it. I'll credit you $25 for the trouble, that's all a machine shop (that's open on a saturday with nothing to do) will charge you.

Me:You want me to take a few hours of a saturday that I should be working on this to find a shop open and then think they are going to drop what they are doing for $25 to fix your screw up?

Owner:that's the best I can do here, buddy. I make a lot of sprockets and I have other important customers going to races. I can't drop what I am doing to rush this through for you.

Me:Listen, I own my own company. If a customer, no matter how small, came to me and said you screwed this up, make it right. You can rest assured I would literally drop what I am doing and make it right instantly. And if I couldn't do it instantly, I would sure as hell give them the assurance that I gave more than 2 shits about their problem to shuffle them off like some 2 bit bum. You're treating me like a bum.

Owner:$40, best offer.

Me: f*&k off, click

LONG BORING PARAPHRASING OVER

GRRRRRRRRRRR. Look, I'm not a prima donna here. I just ordered things well enough in advance that these things wouldn't happen. And if it did happen 2 weeks ago, it would have been a non issue. Remake the sprocket with the bolt holes clocked 20 degrees so that they fall in the valley of the lightning holes and make a new one. I just can't afford the down time of not having a running bike to test. So I am basically just going to use the sprocket carrier for a pattern and drill it out myself on my drill press. I talked to my machinist buddy that help with the lathe work above and he thinks it will be fine.

The major ticket list included:

Get underseat wiring finalized
Make seat
Battery tray
Gauges waterproof
finish 2nd bag and make mounts.
Skidplate
Make rear fender/mudguard
Radiator crash bars
GPS mount
Carb sync
Brake line standoffs
Cutt off all unused brackets
Finish welding and grinding
Oil air filters
Torque all fasteners
coolant

Should be okay for a test ride this weekend, maybe end of day tomorrow. Will def fire it up today though, but I don't have my chain yet. Supposed to be here today.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #119
Mr. Vintage
Family Dude

Oddometer: 841
Lookin' sharp. I'm sure drilling the M10 bolt holes using the carrier as a pattern will be fine - you could even eyeball 5 more #2s just to make it look symmetrical. If you want something done right....
Old 05-14-2011, 12:05 PM   #120
DC,Chad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Nothing worse than being let down by people supposedly giving a service

still your going great guns please let us see some vidoeo of the first ride

RD03 Africa twin slowly coming together
DC,Chad is offline   Reply With Quote