User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2011, 05:15 AM   #1
Happy Snapper OP
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,098
A pre-Birdsville shakedown!

So... Seeing as how Goosefeather and I are going to Birdsville later this year if the water ever goes away, we thought we’d do a local overnighter to try out the bike loading, camping gear etc.

Blast off was to be 09:00 on Saturday morning... That turned to 09:30 then 10 then 10:30. So off we go.. About 50 metres down the road and Goosefeather finds he has a small black ant of the biting variety in his goggles.... It bit him on the eye. He loved that.... Not!

We need coffee! Up to Mt Glorious and park the Dr and KLR in the midst of the cruisers and sport bikes. Coffee was good.. so it’s down the western side of the range towards Fernvale and an ATM. At this point going down these steep hills you soon notice the extra 40KG on the bike. Gave the brakes a good work out.

At Fernvale, Goosefeather decided he needs a cake of soap. I tell him that only dirty people bath, but he is insistent. While he is in Woolworths I take some pictures of the two bikes.

Then we head to Grantham.. Man what a mess after the floods. Heartbreaking stuff.

Of course.. The day is getting away from us so we ride like buggary to get to Yarramalong camping grounds where they have these crazy electrified gates. I’ll wait for Goosefeather to explain their workings.. but they are a pain in the arse and scratched the fairing on the KLR. (Time for cutting polish) The sun is now setting and Goosefeather has a new tent. So out with the instructions to see how it erects. Yes.. I know, he’s reading the instructions. Well he is an engineer so there you go.

Here he is with his tent and here also is my new Kermit chair. So comfy and the end of the day.

Now because we are so well organised.. we haven’t brought any dinner. So we slab it over to Aratula and have greasy roast meat rolls for dinner. I choose to accompany mine with a fine bottle of genuine USA made root beer. (Got a taste for that in San Franciso last year) Then it’s back to camp for a shower... er no lights in the shower block. Have you ever tried washing yourself by the light of a LED headlamp? Off to bed for a good night’s sleep.

And then... at 05:45 am a 4 year old wakes up and is running through the campsite screaming his lungs out. Now where is the Walther PPK? Oh dear.. forgot the silencer. Back to sleep .... sort of for half an hour.

When I arise.. Goosefeather is still sleeping...ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!

So.. brew some tea and take some more photos.

Here is my new Rotopax fuel tank system and my new dash panel and tall windscreen.

Goosefeather rises so we pack and head to Boonah where we are going to meet up with Ozphotog, a fellow professional photographer and friend for nearly 40 years for breakfast.

Then it’s off to the Head road. Now at this time I get lost and lead us around in a big loop. When I do get my bearings.. I come so close to buying the farm. Looked in the mirror.. clear road behind me, do a U turn right in front of a semi trailer that comes out of nowhere from behind. By rights, I shouldn’t be here. Have spent all afternoon having serious talks with myself about what would have become of my family if things had of turned out differently. And i would consider myself to be a "safe" rider. Man that freaked me out!

Anyhow.. up the head road we go. Magic day so photos are the order. Ozphotog with his DR600 which used to be called the F111 as it would do dump and burns out the rear of the pipe on the last trip as it was running just ever so much rich. But today.. it behaves itself.

The road up is great ride.. a couple of shots here.

As a pair of professional photographers, Ozphotog and I are always on the lookout for a new studio location.. we found this one... yeah right!

Down white swamp road and then back into QLD where I grabbed yet one more shot of my KLR.

A good weekend out and a great ride today. Great company to boot! No doubt Ozphotog and Goosefeather will add their comments to this ramble

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au

Happy Snapper screwed with this post 03-27-2011 at 08:25 PM
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #2
raycam01_au
Sir Ray!

Oddometer: 1,069
Laugh :)

looked like a good run, matey
what sprocket combo u running, i am juss checking with KLR boys n girls to see wat they are running and how they find them,
i mainly use mine for running to work and longer trips, thanks

ray
Old 03-27-2011, 05:46 AM   #3
ozphotog
OZPHOTOG

Oddometer: 226
Laugh

Great ride today, the old DR600 behaved itself, unlike out last disasterous trip.

Ran smooth the whole trip, had a ball on a finally well behaving old thumper.

Heart in my mouth moment when Happy Snapper nearly got tail ended by a semi trailer who came form nowhere.....(charter boat? what charter boat?)
QLD Racq members will know what the previous comment means.

I have no idea where we were going, just happy to follow the other guys. Found some great roads, great rest spots, with me just joining the guys on Sunday AM, I managed to cover about 300 klms in the day.
Got my CB headset working this trip too, so was good to be able to communicate while on the road.

All in all, a great day out, great riding partners, fun was had by all !

Ozphotog
1986 DR600
ozphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:14 AM   #4
Happy Snapper OP
GOMOB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycam01_au View Post
looked like a good run, matey
what sprocket combo u running, i am juss checking with KLR boys n girls to see wat they are running and how they find them,
i mainly use mine for running to work and longer trips, thanks

ray
Mine is standard... wouldn't mind a little lower gearing in the rough sometimes.. but I am used to standard now.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #5
Goosefeather
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 847
A few more shots . . .

The route - outbound Saturday in Red, homebound Sunday in Green . . . a few dead-ends and loops from some guess-as-you-go navigation, but generally got there in the end (learning for Birdsville - use the map!)

Photographing the photographers on Condamine River Road - we snuck in past the "road closed" sign to show Ian the crossings, but snuck back out when 4WD pilot told us police were booking people further in for passing the sign.

Breakfast at Boonah - lots of horsepower this morning! Many road bikes - place was so popular groups had tables booked for breakfast. We were lucky to beat the rush . . and luckier than the slim Triumph (Bonnie; Thunderbird?) rider who fell from grace as he parked his bike. Poor bugger was pinned by his right leg, while his mate was casually taking of his own riding gear, oblivious to the carnage beside him. Eventually, he was helped up with the only apparent damage being a slightly bent brake pedal . . .oh, and his pride :) . .

Another shot of the camp ground, a very casually run affair . . (note for Birdsville - start packing 15 minutes before HappySnapper) . . shame the 12V lights didn't work and had to shower wearing a headlamp.

The electric gates were interesting - don't know that they would do the duco on your car much good - nudge open to drive through, and spring-back closing. Happy Snapper became quite proficient at opening these after his first experience, but one did cause near grief.

ha - worked out how to "embed" video at last!

Lessons for Birdsville . . . .

- packing seems to be effective, but have to climb over luggage.
- get more light shirts/shorts for easy pack/wash/dry . .. or start to camp greater distances from each others tents!
- get a thicker sleeping mat- my old back can get by for a night on a skinny pad, but not 10-15 in a row
- get in to camp early - for a range of reasons, ended up setting up camp just in time before sunset.
- rest/coffee stops can burn a lot of time (Mt Glorious was so busy we burned 50 min for a cuppa) . . the Jetboil option may be quicker
- we have to repeat the weekend ride, x 3, to get to Birdsville, then get back again. . . .
- wire up a charge point for the UHF to re-chargeovernight

Goosefeather screwed with this post 03-27-2011 at 10:01 PM
Goosefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,372
DR & KLR loaded & doing what they do best in places where they look at home.
Neat pix
thanks for sharing

Your gate opening procedure is most interesting & I like how you close them too.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
boy60
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Great RR

Is The Head road also known as 14 crossing. A great little ride you both had. Well set up bikes, are the UHFs a great idea.
boy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #8
alekkas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
That's great. Nice ride and pics!

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
Goosefeather
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy60 View Post
Is The Head road also known as 14 crossing. A great little ride you both had. Well set up bikes, are the UHFs a great idea.
It takes you down towards one end of the "14 crossing" road, which I think is called Condamine River Road.

UHFs are excellent - makes even basic comms on a trip a lot easier. No yelling at corners etc.
Goosefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,884
Hey Happy, do you have much rear suspension travel left on the Kallah in the pic on Condamine Gorge Rd or have you made up a lower rear plate mount?

You should bring some great pics back from your trip.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #11
Happy Snapper OP
GOMOB.

Hi Cruz.... the plate is mounted lower because it has one of those stupid ADR compliant extensions on the rear guard.

However...the suspension is sitting down as with my fat arse on it plus gear, the whole thing is around max take off weight. I have only last week received from the USA a new H/Duty rear spring and I am just waiting for the new H/Duty fork springs. Once these arrive and are fitted I will "get back" my share of suspension travel.

Having said all of that though... the trip last weekend didn't have any suspension bottoming issues at all.

Just a pants filling issue when I nearly got mowed down by the truck!

Old 03-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #12
Happy Snapper OP
GOMOB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Hey Happy, do you have much rear suspension travel left on the Kallah in the pic on Condamine Gorge Rd or have you made up a lower rear plate mount?

You should bring some great pics back from your trip.
I think in that picture you refer to that I am actually parked in a small depression. If you have a look at Goosefeather's video of me riding through the gate.... the very end of it shows the suspension travel/clearance at the back of the KLR.

As far as pictures go.. mate when you're a pro photograoher you have to go that bit harder with your camera.. I mean if Goosefeather brings back better photos than me then what will the ADV community think???

Old 03-30-2011, 01:46 AM   #13
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,833
Great rr and pics

Halfway along Charlwood Rd just before you get to Yarramalong, is the Gorge Rd and camping area. Its free and backs up to the same creek.

next time.

Phil_Fong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:22 AM   #14
Happy Snapper OP
GOMOB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Fong View Post
Great rr and pics

Halfway along Charlwood Rd just before you get to Yarramalong, is the Gorge Rd and camping area. Its free and backs up to the same creek.

next time.
Phil... I'm getting old.. does it have a hot shower??? I need a hot shower at the end of the day to de-sieze all of my muscles and joints :-)

Old 04-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #15
Go-4-It
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Thumb Good on ya guys!

Shake down rides are so important to do. I really liked seeing the pics of your beautiful country.