User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Anyone using the Spot 3? Is it worth the wait over the Spot 2?

I'm getting a little ticked about this whole Spot 3 fiasco. They were supposed to be shipped in May and here it is almost October and nobody has them in stock. I haven't even been able to find anyone that will reply back to a Spot 3 thread saying they have one and they are better than the 2. I also know with my luck I will end up buying the 2 only to find out the very next week the 3 will actually be released. So if there is anyone out there that has used the 3 if ya don't mind doing a Product review on the forum here that would be tons of help. I basically wanna know if it's really worth the wait. I really like some of the features but this waiting game is getting ridiculous...
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
I'm getting a little ticked about this whole Spot 3 fiasco. They were supposed to be shipped in May and here it is almost October and nobody has them in stock. I haven't even been able to find anyone that will reply back to a Spot 3 thread saying they have one and they are better than the 2. I also know with my luck I will end up buying the 2 only to find out the very next week the 3 will actually be released. So if there is anyone out there that has used the 3 if ya don't mind doing a Product review on the forum here that would be tons of help. I basically wanna know if it's really worth the wait. I really like some of the features but this waiting game is getting ridiculous...
I think there are none out yet, or else there would be reviews popping up all over the web. But just do a Google search for 'Spot 3 Review' and there's nothing to report. If I needed another Spot unit right now, I'd get a II for sure. Spot's track record has not been great recently, so it's best to let others be the beta testers.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
udoggie
Top Dog

Oddometer: 28
I'm a SPOT2 owner, wanting to upgrade to the 3. They sent rebate coupons to all spot2 owners that expire on Sept. 30th.

I can't find anywhere to buy one. Even SPOT is out.

After contacting their support folks, they basically said that everyone is out, and they do not have an ETA on when they will be available.

Sigh.

UD
udoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I think there are none out yet, or else there would be reviews popping up all over the web. But just do a Google search for 'Spot 3 Review' and there's nothing to report. If I needed another Spot unit right now, I'd get a II for sure. Spot's track record has not been great recently, so it's best to let others be the beta testers.
What do you mean by Spot's Track record being that great? I thought that everyone loved their Spot trackers? Is Spot not all that great? Is there something else out there that is better? Wish I could just do it from my Iphone and not even have to use the Spot.. But from what I understood the Spot worked in places a cellular phone would never have service? Still trying to educate myself on these and like the fact that my wife or friends could track me while I'm on a trip and be able to see if I were to get into trouble somewhere off the grid... Maybe I just need to search and find someone selling a Spot 2 cheap then upgrade. If I paid for a year of service for a 2 and only used it for say 3 months then upgraded to a 3 could I transfer the remaining 9 months of service over from the 2 to the 3?
Old 09-27-2013, 04:18 AM   #5
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
What do you mean by Spot's Track record being that great? The Spot Connect has not proven itself to be very reliable is what I mean. I thought that everyone loved their Spot trackers? Not everyone's happy but a lot of us are. I have three that work just fine but you don't have to look too far to find people whose units did not work for them. Is Spot not all that great? Is there something else out there that is better? Possibly; someone else may chime in with recommendations soon. Wish I could just do it from my Iphone and not even have to use the Spot.. But from what I understood the Spot worked in places a cellular phone would never have service? Yes, that's the whole point of the Spot. Still trying to educate myself on these and like the fact that my wife or friends could track me while I'm on a trip and be able to see if I were to get into trouble somewhere off the grid... Maybe I just need to search and find someone selling a Spot 2 cheap then upgrade. Yes, that would be a cheap way to go. If I paid for a year of service for a 2 and only used it for say 3 months then upgraded to a 3 could I transfer the remaining 9 months of service over from the 2 to the 3?
As long as the previous owner of the Spot released it to you and didn't owe any money on his service, Spot would transfer the unit to you. And Spot does switch remaining service if you upgrade to a new or replacement unit.

Inmarsat might be one alternative. Or the Delorme InReach SE.

Emmbeedee screwed with this post 09-27-2013 at 06:21 AM
Old 09-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

No idea if the op is seeing these replies as there's no feedback, but according to GPSCity on Facebook, Spot has now received FCC approval for the Spot 3.

So they should start shipping before too long.

Sent using strings and tin cans and Tapatalk.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

I ended up buying a Spot 2 on Saturday. Have a ride coming up and couldn't wait any longer. Once I found out I could transfer service to the 3 if they ever get release I decided to go ahead and just buy the 2. Now I just need to figure out how to set it up so my wife can track me... I keep hearing about Spotwalla and how it's a better service than findmespot.com but haven't figured out on either one how to actually watch and track the spot from home. I sent my boy out with it on the RZR and he went on about a 10 mile loop and sent me a Check in message telling me he was ok and I got that but haven't seen his track. He did have it on tracking mode also. I showed him how to change from OK message back to tracking... Anyone with a "SPOT" for dummies guide?