ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
Daytrader OP
Missin' Texas

Oddometer: 350
Tell me about Fairfax, Va. Please

I might be moving from TX to the Fairfax area for work.
Don't really know much about the area other than visiting a friend in Alexandria a few years ago.
Looking at apartments in the $1200.00/month range online, but don't know the area.
Any input would be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,786
Bring money.
XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Damifino
Damn if I know

Oddometer: 654
Congestion, traffic, congestion, traffic, shopping center after shopping center, town houses, condos, McMansions, great riding to the south and the west if you can get out of town....

Oh, and bring $$$$$$$
06 Vespa Granturismo 200L
Green Marble Enduro Riders http://gmer.us
Damifino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,400
Lived there for close to 30 years. Will never go back. Ever. Ever.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
Daytrader OP
Missin' Texas

I see how expensive it is around there. I'm used to a bit more open space.
I'll have to adjust.
How long would it really take to get from say, Rockville to Fairfax during rush hour?
I wouldn't HAVE to live in Fairfax, but would like to be close.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
dmun
dmun

Oddometer: 24
depends on what part of fairfax. the county itself is like 300 square miles. it streches from mclean to lorton north/south and alexandria to centrville east/west.your commute could easily be 2 hours in the evening if you go out to centreville or chantilly.same with lorton. if you live in the City of Fairfax it wont be quite as bad. you should try to stay inside the beltway, but i dont know if you can find a decent place in your price range. assuming you work regular hours: the later you leave it gets exponentially worse. if you can work early hours you are better off. i live in arlington and leave at 5:50 am and get to bethesda in 30 min. at least your making something of a reverse commute. when i go home in the evening its much worse for the people going into maryland. a lot sucks about the area, but it isn't as bad as some of the earlier replies. otherwise there wouldn't be so many damn people living/working/communitng here. good luck.
dmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
fragile_this_side_up
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
I used to live in fairfax. I now live in strasburg. It takes me less time to travel to manassas than my friend does travelling from Burke. It really all depends on where you work. Stay out of rockville. Manassas or Gainesville or haymarket is where id look. Manassas is a little sketchy.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Daytrader OP
Missin' Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragile_this_side_up View Post
I used to live in fairfax. I now live in strasburg. It takes me less time to travel to manassas than my friend does travelling from Burke. It really all depends on where you work. Stay out of rockville. Manassas or Gainesville or haymarket is where id look. Manassas is a little sketchy.
I'll check those places out.
I don't mind a half hour commute, just don't want to be sitting in traffic.
I grew up in Chicago and due to my job I've lived in some major metropolitan areas, so I know it's gonna suck to a certain extent.
I've conceded the fact that a decent place is going to cost me $1500.00 a month. That's OK. I need a garage and a pool would be nice. Google maps is helping me get a feel for the general layout.
How is Manassas sketchy? I kinda like sketchy.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Daytrader OP
Missin' Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
depends on what part of fairfax. the county itself is like 300 square miles. it streches from mclean to lorton north/south and alexandria to centrville east/west.your commute could easily be 2 hours in the evening if you go out to centreville or chantilly.same with lorton. if you live in the City of Fairfax it wont be quite as bad. you should try to stay inside the beltway, but i dont know if you can find a decent place in your price range. assuming you work regular hours: the later you leave it gets exponentially worse. if you can work early hours you are better off. i live in arlington and leave at 5:50 am and get to bethesda in 30 min. at least your making something of a reverse commute. when i go home in the evening its much worse for the people going into maryland. a lot sucks about the area, but it isn't as bad as some of the earlier replies. otherwise there wouldn't be so many damn people living/working/communitng here. good luck.
Good point. 10 million people lve in the Chicago area and many people say it sucks.
Death Valley probably does suck, but I'm sure you could find some people that would love it there.
I'm starting to get the whole "inside the beltway" thing.
Thanks
Old 02-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
Commuting by motorcycle in Northern Virginia saves much time and money. . ..

HOV lanes are open to motorcycles, and the new fast lanes are free. ... For Fairfax, you can look on the Route 95 or Route 66 corridors. 95 corridor runs south, and has route 1 as a bailout. 66 corridor runs west, and has multiple secondary roads as a bailout. The entire 66 corridor is hov inside the Beltway for am and pm commutes. 95 has an interior lane for am and pm hov'rs. Some prefer the 95 corridor, others prefer path 66. Either is made immeasurably easier by motorcycle commuting.
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrader View Post
I've conceded the fact that a decent place is going to cost me $1500.00 a month. That's OK. I need a garage and a pool would be nice.
Uh, . . . well, now . . . oh, never mind!

Seriously, best wishes facing the real estate challenge of northern Virginia.
XDragRacer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
Daytrader OP
Missin' Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Uh, . . . well, now . . . oh, never mind!

Seriously, best wishes facing the real estate challenge of northern Virginia.
It's most likely going to be closer to $1800.00/mo.
Still cheaper than downtown Chicago and Dallas.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
Rob578
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I moved here from Charleston SC about 7 years ago, lived in Herndon and worked in Arlington and the District for about 2 years. After that I bought a house out on Bull Run Mountain. Herndon was pricey 2 bedroom Condo with a double garage was costing me $2100/mo.
I've had a couple of opportunities to move back to SC (with my DC paycheck) and I've turned them all down, this is a much nicer place to live.
If you are working in Fairfax, look around Haymarket and BR Mtn you might find a deal. You'll learn to deal with the commute, at least the pro commuters know how to drive, not like in SC.
One nice thing about living on the Mtn is that I can ride a couple miles down Mtn Rd hang a right and from there I believe I could just about ride across Virginia and West Virginia on dirt roads and on a good day I'm only 50 minutes to the District.
Like anything else it's what you make of it.
PM me if I can answer any questions for you
Rob578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
fragile_this_side_up
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
like i said, i moved out of Centreville about 6 years ago. bought a new 2 br, 2 bath, 2 car garage house for cheaper than my one bedroom apt.

but then again, i spend good money on fuel as well. but i also live in the land of the best roads in VA, so i don't care. hahaa.

Manassas.. sketchy.. lots if illegals. crime is higher in some areas than others, but you'll be able to find 1200 for one br/garage.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
5punksdad
Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer: 2,364
66 west........f fairfax.
5punksdad is offline   Reply With Quote