ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #196
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,220
Major kudos to you guys (and gal!)
Taking all these courses, expanding your motorcycling 'horizons'.
Good stuff!

I realize that the bang-ups and bruises are uncomfortable but I'm glad no one was injured more severely.

Hope our paths cross again!
Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #197
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 3,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
No but apparently Shoei has a policy that you can send them the helmet and they will check it and let you know if its serviceable for no charge other than me shipping it to them. The problem is I need a helmet soon for a upcoming ride.
I have several extras if you are in dire need and would like to borrow one. Caberg, or Nolan N102. Then again you might not want a helmet worn by "Crash Jordan"
Erik : IBA #40645---BMW135i FOR SALE<---CLICK
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #198
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
Major kudos to you guys (and gal!)
Taking all these courses, expanding your motorcycling 'horizons'.
Good stuff!

I realize that the bang-ups and bruises are uncomfortable but I'm glad no one was injured more severely.

Hope our paths cross again!
I do plan on doing one of the "Trailside Training" days that were mentioned. Maybe in the Fall or next Spring.

I'll look for you when I come down for the "M" class. Maybe we can chat over a "cookie".
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
Old 04-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #199
BMWf800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Wattsy class

Thank you all for the pictures and info.
It was great meeting and riding with you all!

I think the class is as good as each individual wants it/makes it.
I showed up on my first ever dirtbike that I bought brand new 3 weeks before the class.
I had ridden my dirtbike a total of 2 times before the class.
I was the guy on the new KTM 300XC with the faulty spark plug and Shane was kind enough to let me ride his KTM most of the first day.
I apologize to all fellow members for slowing the class down. John thank you for bringing me and selling me the spark plug!
I used to be one of the better mountain bikers in my region back in the late 1990s but have gotten lazy the past few years and did not ride my MTB at all last year.
I also just healed a broken rib before the class so I was in Very poor condition.

I thought I did pretty well in the class and had a GREAT time!
I learned A LOT!

Shane was very personable as a instructor and I felt did a good job.
I did feel the first day he was a little, maybe tired or not his usual sharp self.
This could be do to all the travel and hard work he has put into teaching ignorant and green people like me. I am happy for him that he is maybe taking a break and going back to or in Australia now. Shane has earned a break in my opinion.
My assessment of the class is: When a new rider on a new barely ridden dirtbike like me can get through the class with nothing but increased knowledge and riding level I would like to think any with the right attitude and prep could do the same.
I do agree that slowing the class down with mechanicals like I did due to my spark plug is not the greatest for all in the class. It is a break though and as far as I was concerned due to my lack of experience and physical conditioning a LOT of information and physical exertion seemed to be used in both days. I needed and took a extra break in the middle of the class on the second day to go to the bathroom, eat and take a mental and physical break. I feel this benefited me and I was more efficient in my learning as a result of my self chosen break.
Would I recommend this class to others? YES YES YES
I would recommend a positive attitude, a need to push yourself and PREPARATION for the class both mentally and physically, also motorcycle maintenance wise.
Should a newbe with no motor skills/coordination in physical sports/activities and zero motorcycle or mountain biking experience take the class? NOT in my opinion. Also having the proper mindset to push yourself will be beneficial.
Injury is a possibility in life and taking this class increases this chance of injury during the learning period. I feel the class also shortens or positively affects this greater chance of injuries window in a good way.
What I am trying to say is sure you could get injured participating in Shane Watts class but I also think in the long run it may decrease your injury level.
I also noticed that all of us improved a lot by the end of class. For example I remember seeing one person in our class being way too conservative coming down a hill the first day of class and the second day I noticed they were descending much better, with more confidence and a better mental attitude.

VERY IMPORTANT for all to know and practice is being self responsible and being as safe as possible when around others in the class!
I know one time in class I was being FAR too exuberant and had way too much speed too close to my fellow students. I was flying down along the woods in the field and another person decided to turn right in front of me and maybe should have checked their right better before turning. Too be fair it may have been totally my fault. It instantly made me take notice of my actions and the horrible outcome that could have resulted from both our actions!!!
If we as individuals do not take responsibility for ourselves and others; great opportunities like this class will be harder if not impossible to come by!

All the above is my opinion and experience I am sure others feel different.
Hello and best wishes to all fellow Wicomico class members.
Suzuki DRZ 400s, KTM 300XC, BMW f800gs -when it is not broke down,waiting for BMW to fix it

BMWf800gs screwed with this post 04-04-2011 at 08:20 PM
BMWf800gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #200
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,670
Everyone certainly got something different from this class, that's for sure.
I think if I was a more agressive rider, I might have gotten more out of the class...
But riding my KLR to work this morning, I didn't even think about but noticed I had "Two Fingers" on the controls...
Crossing the Nice Bridge this afternoon...The wind sucked...I was having a really hard time. Then I noticed how tight I was holding the bars and that I was looking down...Relax and look ahead..Looking up (just like the Rut drill) really smoothed things out.

Could the class have been better? always
Did I get my "money's worth"? I think so
Would I do it again? Nope...But I would consider the advanced class after I come closer to mastering the basics taught here.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:19 AM   #201
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by joints4sale View Post
I have several extras if you are in dire need and would like to borrow one. Caberg, or Nolan N102. Then again you might not want a helmet worn by "Crash Jordan"
Schuberth please...
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:39 AM   #202
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Quote:
Schuberth please...
Have you tried on the C3?

I'm hoping Morton's will have a special on them for their open house.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:40 AM   #203
RFlagg42
One hoopy frood....

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:

I don't think anyone will have a special on those their first year back in the country, but if you find a good deal, please let me know....
RFlagg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:47 AM   #204
BMWf800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

After more thought about Shane Watts class

I wonder if part of the reason Shane seemed a little slow on his delivery the start of instruction on the first day is because after seeing us do the warm up loop he was trying to decide what course/direction he wanted to go with us in relation to the skill levels he saw in us?

Also Yes I could have benefited from more personalized immediate feedback. To be fair though are there any other instructors as good or not as good as Shane that give a one to one or more personalized feedback in their class?
Also what is the cost and length/hours taught of the class compared to Shane and the 2 day class I took?
Some people are terrible at teaching others are good to great this is another thing to take into consideration when taking a class.
I do not know information about the cost of other peoples classes and the ratio of instructor to student/s, this would be good to know.
Do any of you know?

Below is the information on the class I took:

2011 Riding School Pricing and Information
Duration
Two days
Pricing
$360 per student unless otherwise stated.
All students get a FREE DirtWise T-shirt.
$100 non-refundable deposit due with Registration Form. This holds your spot, so don't forget to include FORM and PAYMENT!
From this tuition fee a portion of it will be donated to the Rider Down Foundation and to the The Blue Ribbon Coalition
There will be a 15% discount for all returning students from previous Dirtwise schools. There will be a discount for multiple attendees from the same immediate family:
1st member-full price
2nd member-10% off full price
3rd or greater members-15% off full price
Cancellation/Refund Policy
If student cancels more than 48 hours in advance of the first day of the school, the remaining balance will be refunded and the $100 deposit can be used toward any future school. If cancelled less than 48 hours before the first day of the school, there will be no refund, but all payments will be transferable to any future school.
No refund is given to a student who is unable to attend the second (2nd) day of class. However, we will allow the student to attend the 2nd day of any other school in the future, free of charge.
Number of students per school
Regular school with 1 instructor: 10-18 maximum.
Regular school with 2 instructors: 18-26 maximum.
HardCore Advanced school with 1 instructor: 9 maximum.
HardCore Advanced school with 2 instructors: 9-14 maximum.
Once the maximum number of students is reached in each school, a waiting list will be opened and from this list any cancellations will be filled.
Instructors per school
Shane Watts and additional Instructor as necessary.
School times
Day 1: 8:30am - 4:30pm (please arrive by 7:45am)
Day 2: 8:00am - 3:30pm
Lunch break - approx 45 minutes. BYO lunch and drinks.
RAIN OR SHINE!!

Shane in my opinion taught our class in a way geared toward learning bike handling and increasing our confidence which can be applied in most situations.
He did not teach a MX or supercross how to course.
Is this bad? I do not think so, not for me. For those with the focus of racing those events it may not be the most efficient track to take in their learning.

I am VERY curious how other classes are taught, what is taught and how productive the instructors and classes are along with cost!

I also got the impression before taking the class that Shane was kind of a weird bad person before the class, but my experience with Shane was the opposite. I found Shane very likeable and concerned about teaching good classes.
Suzuki DRZ 400s, KTM 300XC, BMW f800gs -when it is not broke down,waiting for BMW to fix it

BMWf800gs screwed with this post 04-05-2011 at 05:58 AM
Old 04-05-2011, 04:57 AM   #205
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Helmets

Quote:

Yes, and I find it nice but I am not so sure $700.00 worth of nice. I think I already spend good money on Arai and Shoei helmets...that will probably be my upper limit for some time. Especially since I would like a street and also a dual sport helmet.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:18 AM   #206
blaster11 OP
Enabler

BMWF800GS,

If I have time today I will compare it to the BMW 2 day off road class which several of us took two weeks ago but I don't really believe it will be an apples to apples comparison....just food for thought. Check my signature block for the BMW class thread. The one thing I can tell you right off the top of my head is that with some polishing the DirtWise would be an excellent class and I am not saying that its not good but just not excellent. There are so many little things which could be done to make it really stand out. Again if I have time today I will also do my class critique. Good to meet you and hope to ride with you again sometime!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:43 AM   #207
BMWf800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Travel/cost of class

I forgot to add the cost of travel and time to the class should be a consideration also.
For me the class was somewhat local. More so than others I have found.
Again I came a away with a great experience.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #208
blaster11 OP
Enabler

What you got vs what you paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWf800gs View Post
I forgot to add the cost of travel and time to the class should be a consideration also.
For me the class was somewhat local. More so than others I have found.
Again I came a away with a great experience.
You can slice and dice this a thousand different ways to get the outcome you want. For example Dorito and I travel for work quite a bit so we used Marriot points to cover our hotel = free. I have to eat regardless and I eat out a lot so its pretty much a wash considering BMW picked up lunch. I had to provide my own beverages for DirtWise but BMW provided all beverages whether it be water or Gatorade. So its really down to the cost of gas to attend training out of state but since it was a nice weekend to ride I probably would have burned through 2 tanks of gas on my Adventure x 2 bikes and now gas comes close to being a wash. So its really how you justify it to yourself, some people have to get every dime back out of a motorcycle when they sell it, whereas I consider it an entertainment cost not unlike going to the movie. All that really matters is are YOU happy with what you paid vs what you got.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #209
BMWf800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
You can slice and dice this a thousand different ways to get the outcome you want. For example Dorito and I travel for work quite a bit so we used Marriot points to cover our hotel = free. I have to eat regardless and I eat out a lot so its pretty much a wash considering BMW picked up lunch. I had to provide my own beverages for DirtWise but BMW provided all beverages whether it be water or Gatorade. So its really down to the cost of gas to attend training out of state but since it was a nice weekend to ride I probably would have burned through 2 tanks of gas on my Adventure x 2 bikes and now gas comes close to being a wash. So its really how you justify it to yourself, some people have to get every dime back out of a motorcycle when they sell it, whereas I consider it an entertainment cost not unlike going to the movie. All that really matters is are YOU happy with what you paid vs what you got.
How much was the BMW class?
Was it not in South Carolina someplace?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #210
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWf800gs View Post
How much was the BMW class?
Was it not in South Carolina someplace?
The school is located in South Carolina and the cost was $985 with my 10% discount and I used their bikes. http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...otorcycle.aspx

Just to give you some idea of what it would cost to rent a bike at a different place such as RawHyde http://www.rawhyde-offroad.com/home.html, its a $185 a day for the same type of bike I rode, so for my two day training class subtract $370 just for bike rental, so if you start averaging things out $985 - $370 = $615.00 for the training class.