User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2005, 01:27 AM   #1
scottmx81 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
El Paso TX, to Morelia, Michoacan.

A novice rider, I recently made my first big trip. On January 5th, 2005, I flew from Detroit to El Paso, and picked up my 2001 Honda XR650L which I had shipped down a few days earlier.

The trip covered 2577km over 9 days. I am Canadian, but live in Mexico, so this was a one way trip south. I purchased the bike, took the MSF course, and got my M2 license in August 2004. I rode about 2000 km before parking it and returning to Mexico in September. So the primary purpose of this trip was to bring the bike down to Morelia.

Though starting in Laredo would have made for a significantly shorter trip, I really wanted to take the opportunity to visit the Copper Canyon area.

I am not very skilled mechanically, and this was a solo trip. My previous bike experience includes only about 7 or 8000 km of city / local hills driving on a 1997 Yamaha DT 175cc, here in Morelia.

Thankfully everything went perfect. I highly advise anyone pondering a trip like this to just do it. You don't need to be an expert with lots of experience to do a long distance trip.

You'll start learning things about your bike right away. And if you have problems in Mexico, all you have to do is flag down a passing truck and have them take you to the nearest town. I'd much rather break down in Mexico than in the USA!

I'm a little shy about the luggage set up in these photos, but what can you do. I don't have $800 USD to spend on aluminum panniers and other such luxuries!

The duffle bag & rachet straps, etc, were not my intended configuration. Unfortunately my plan to ship stuff out of Juarez to Morelia didn't go as smoothly as intended, due to customs regulations I was unaware of, and I ended up with some extra things I'd rather have not had. I eventually got fed up with the bag and straps, and ditched it.

I broke the photos, posted on my own website, into 5 sections:

El Paso to Chihuahua
Chihuahua
Copper Canyon
Mazatlan
Back to Morelia

The Copper Canyon section is by far the most interesting, followed by Mazatlan.

Here are some sample photos:

Copper Canyon:

Main Street Urique:

This next photo is taken from the property of the American who lives in Urique:

Between Mesa de Arturo and Tubares:

El Divisadero:

I also made it over to the beach:

Follow the links above to see all of the photos, with more complete descriptions. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of myself since I was travelling alone. Here is a picture of me with the bike back in September though, before it had the Clarke 17.8 L tank put on.

Aquaduct in Chihuahua City:

I hope you enjoy the photos.
scottmx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:43 AM   #2
NAVIGATOR
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,692
Welcome, your trip report shows that you are a true adventure rider, and the thougth of "I highly advise anyone pondering a trip like this to just do it" is what the spirit of adventure riding is all about.

Forget about the look of your bags, they didn´t fall off your bike

Felicidades
NAVIGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
HIgh Water
Waisting Time

Oddometer: 351
Great report! You have the heart of a true Advrider. I’ll be taking a similar route in 4 weeks.
'06 KTM 525 EXC Baja 2008 Race Bike
'06 KTM 450 EXC
HIgh Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:30 AM   #4
Beem Dubya
...least I have chicken.

Oddometer: 516
Welcome!
Excellent pics and ride report!

I'll be haulin' my ass down to Copper Canyon this year and really enjoy
the info and pics anyone posts about the area...thanks!

Beem
Old 01-29-2005, 03:01 PM   #5
pitbull
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,487
excellent report....I plan on a similar trip from Toronto, in the fall, on the monster.
pitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:34 PM   #6
gmccon
Banned

Oddometer: 6,308
what do you mean by that?

"I'd rather break down in Mexico than the USA."

Also, how 'bout getting your type and pictures on a page that doesn't require side-scrolling.

what do you do in Mexico?

greg
gmccon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:44 PM   #7
Dick
Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer: 31,380
Welcome aboard

Nice report - I love Mexico
Originally Posted by turkish
Einstein knew more about physics than the Pope knows about God.
Save some bux - use my Smugmug referral code: mIRMxjzAScHII
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 05:11 PM   #8
Bicycle Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Looks great and and a fine report to boot.
I'm heading down to Guadalajara via Baja and then ferry to Mazatlan or Topo. Return through Copper Canyon then back to San Francisco.
Bicycle Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 06:55 PM   #9
NAVIGATOR
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccon
what do you mean by that?

"I'd rather break down in Mexico than the USA."

Also, how 'bout getting your type and pictures on a page that doesn't require side-scrolling.

what do you do in Mexico?

greg
He means: That he rather break down in Mexico than in the USA

He lives in Morelia

In Mexico what you do is up to you, you can get bored to death inside a Holiday Inn, watching TV and eating a big Mac, or have a blast riding your bike, knowing amazing´places, it is your choice

NAVIGATOR screwed with this post 01-30-2005 at 03:44 PM
NAVIGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:03 PM   #10
scottmx81 OP
Adventurer

Breaking Down in Mexico

It is less stressfull breaking down in Mexico, because you know you'll be able to find someone, no matter where you are, who will take you in to the next town which is very likely to have a small repair shop, and a cheap place to stay for the night!

I live in Mexico, and support myself by doing computer programming work over the Internet, for a small company in Canada.

I've spent over two years here, and have a good grasp of Spanish. So there was little culture shock, etc, and perhaps this explains why I didn't mind venturing off to the bottom of the canyons by myself, on my first motorcycle trip.

For the future, I definitely see a trip down to Panama City and back in the works. I don't know when, but it's going to happen!
Old 01-29-2005, 08:31 PM   #11
card
?

Oddometer: 4,006
Great pics. and thread. Friend of mine I ride with is on his was to Mex. now and I couldn't get away for 20 days.
card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:34 PM   #12
Green Stainz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,010
right on

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmx81
It is less stressfull breaking down in Mexico, because you know you'll be able to find someone, no matter where you are, who will take you in to the next town which is very likely to have a small repair shop, and a cheap place to stay for the night!

I live in Mexico, and support myself by doing computer programming work over the Internet, for a small company in Canada.

I've spent over two years here, and have a good grasp of Spanish. So there was little culture shock, etc, and perhaps this explains why I didn't mind venturing off to the bottom of the canyons by myself, on my first motorcycle trip.

For the future, I definitely see a trip down to Panama City and back in the works. I don't know when, but it's going to happen!
Dude, right on. Glad that you can live basically where you want and Mexico is a good place. Your adventure spirit is envious and keep seeking it! Much success to you in the future. Ride safe!

2006 pair of mismatched socks
Green Stainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:40 PM   #13
Joe L
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Scott, fabulous ride and pics. I need your advise and/or anyone else who has done this journey---I'm on the verge of buying a new bike and don't know if I should buy the Dakar or the 1150gsa. Is it possible to do this ride on a bigger bike like the 1150 gsa?
Joe L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:26 PM   #14
scottmx81 OP
Adventurer

Yes!

Scott, fabulous ride and pics. I need your advise and/or anyone else who has done this journey---I'm on the verge of buying a new bike and don't know if I should buy the Dakar or the 1150gsa. Is it possible to do this ride on a bigger bike like the 1150 gsa?

Yes, I went from Creel to Bahuichivo to Urique to Tubares to Choix, and I did not encounter any terrain that could not have been driven in a jeep or truck. It was perhaps a little easier than I expected, and I don't think you would have any problem with a larger bike.

For example Urique to Choix was 7 hours on dirt before returning to the asphalt, but it was not difficult. There are lots and lots and lots of turns, but the roads seem very well maintained considering the relative remoteness of the area.

Pretty much the worst it gets is something like this:

I don't think you would have any problems doing it on a larger bike. You can do the Copper Canyon on any dual sport bike. Of course, it was very dry when I was there, and it could be very different if it were to rain!
Old 01-29-2005, 10:57 PM   #15
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 40,344
Werd
reports like this are inspirational in all of the right ways.

Thanks
Jurgen

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote