ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #31
adiablolex
Lost again
 
adiablolex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Third rock from the Sun
Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
Here's less than 10,000kms and 55 pounds of bags and gear, how the heck do you guys get this kind of mileage? I've never gotten half of what people claim out of a 908 either.
WOW that looks like it overheated
What PSI do you run it with?
__________________
DRCOOL rides with me
adiablolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #32
MotorcycleIslandGuy
DigitalDBoy
 
MotorcycleIslandGuy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Courtenay,British Columbia
Oddometer: 43
K60s ,best all around Rubber.

Possibly the jagged edge logging roads we ride here on Vancouver Island. I know mine are pretty chewed up but overall im pretty satisfied .8400 kilometers Whaddaya think time for a new one?
Attached Images
 
MotorcycleIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:57 PM   #33
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer
 
triplenickel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Campbell River, BC. Fantasy Island
Oddometer: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiablolex View Post
WOW that looks like it overheated
What PSI do you run it with?
For this trip I was actually running more than I normally would, 36psi, never over 120kmh, 55 pounds of gear, in the Yukon and Northern BC the warmest day was 25°c. It's funny those are the only 2 spots that made it to the belt, 180° around the tire there's still 3/16" of tread, but the side shown is right to nothing. Wierd eh?
__________________
07 SE

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #34
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem
 
Head2Wind's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NorthWet Washington
Oddometer: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
Finally got around to measuring these... and then comparing to a few other tires.

Measured with my Shore Durometer, Scale A:

new K60 rear: all sizes meaured 73-74
new K60 21 front: 72-73

used K60 rear: 70

new 908RR: 72-73

used Goodyear summer tires on my Subaru Twagon, 68
__________________
“The mind is sharper and keener in seclusion and uninterrupted solitude. --- Be alone, that is the secret of invention; be alone, that is when ideas are born.” - Nikola Tesla
2006 KTM 970 frankinADVsmSD
ADVmachines™ Proven Solutions for your Worldwide Adventures...www.ADVmachines.com
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #35
charlie264 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
charlie264's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Blighty
Oddometer: 8,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
Finally got around to measuring these... and then comparing to a few other tires.

Measured with my Shore Durometer, Scale A:

new K60 rear: all sizes meaured 73-74
new K60 21 front: 72-73

used K60 rear: 70

new 908RR: 72-73

used Goodyear summer tires on my Subaru Twagon, 68
Cheers I take it the higher number = firmer, or tis the other way round?
__________________
Beauty is truth and truth is beauty.
Charlie's Side Stand Relocator.
charlie264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #36
Dale950
Studly Adventurer
 
Dale950's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Melb / Australia
Oddometer: 976
Ive recently changed my rear from a 150 Mefo to a Hei 140 K60 ( not scout )
due to Mefo's being out of stock .

Now I'm not sure but I feel the K60 could be a slightly harder compound ?
I liked the Mefo but I think the k60 could be wearing better .
I'll know a bit further down the road re milage .

My Tyre supplier Told me Mefo is a different Co but somehow there closely related & the K60 is a better tyre .
Dale950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #37
adiablolex
Lost again
 
adiablolex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Third rock from the Sun
Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
For this trip I was actually running more than I normally would, 36psi, never over 120kmh, 55 pounds of gear, in the Yukon and Northern BC the warmest day was 25°c. It's funny those are the only 2 spots that made it to the belt, 180° around the tire there's still 3/16" of tread, but the side shown is right to nothing. Wierd eh?
I remember reading some reports about the earlier ones that used to self destruct because of compound problems or sumtin, depending when you bought it it may be the case.
My set already saw a moderate to high speed bombing to Florida from Ontario, 2up with gear for camping for 10 days and other than the flat spot I'm developing they're both wearing very nicely, I'll shoot a couple of pics when I get a chance
__________________
DRCOOL rides with me
adiablolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #38
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer
 
triplenickel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Campbell River, BC. Fantasy Island
Oddometer: 2,424
Interesting, I just ordered it from my local guy he said he had trouble finding it and the one I got was his rep's demo tire so maybe it's been floating around for a while. It did seem to be a drastic change in wear, from useable to that in half a day then it stayed just like that for 1500kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiablolex View Post
I remember reading some reports about the earlier ones that used to self destruct because of compound problems or sumtin, depending when you bought it it may be the case.
My set already saw a moderate to high speed bombing to Florida from Ontario, 2up with gear for camping for 10 days and other than the flat spot I'm developing they're both wearing very nicely, I'll shoot a couple of pics when I get a chance
__________________
07 SE

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:06 AM   #39
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer
 
Newbusa's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Port Alberni
Oddometer: 575
Just got back from a 9k irde to California and back,Lots of high speed and very twisty roads,with probably near 100 pounds of gear on the back,temps as high as 95 and at 12k of total kms my tire probably still has another 2 k left in the rear.,And they exceeded my expectations in the twisties,my friend said my touretech boxes were about 4 inches from the pavement in the corners.All in all a very good tire,i will be buying another.
__________________
2010 990R Adventurer.
2007 Tuono 1000R
Newbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #40
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem
 
Head2Wind's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NorthWet Washington
Oddometer: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
Cheers I take it the higher number = firmer, or tis the other way round?
Yes, higher numbers = harder surface.

It appears that a few heat cycles softens the tire at ambient temp. I will have to do more testing with the IR temp and the Shore Durometer tools to see what is happening when @ operating temps. Just means that I need to have at least 2 hours to ride, which has not been the case for the last 5 weeks...
__________________
“The mind is sharper and keener in seclusion and uninterrupted solitude. --- Be alone, that is the secret of invention; be alone, that is when ideas are born.” - Nikola Tesla
2006 KTM 970 frankinADVsmSD
ADVmachines™ Proven Solutions for your Worldwide Adventures...www.ADVmachines.com
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #41
nevermind
sLOW Rider
 
nevermind's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Lost then Found
Oddometer: 2,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbusa View Post
Just got back from a 9k irde to California and back,Lots of high speed and very twisty roads,with probably near 100 pounds of gear on the back,temps as high as 95 and at 12k of total kms my tire probably still has another 2 k left in the rear.,And they exceeded my expectations in the twisties,my friend said my touretech boxes were about 4 inches from the pavement in the corners.All in all a very good tire,i will be buying another.
I'll add the K60 Scout 90/90-21 and 150/70B18 combo worked really well on the highway at 70+ mph in a torrential downpour. The cars had slowed below 50 and all had their flashers on. The 990 was rock solid going through some big puddling. I'll claim the higher speed was necessary because it kept my visor clearer for better visibility. It was safer.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #42
charlie264 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
charlie264's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Blighty
Oddometer: 8,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
Yes, higher numbers = harder surface.

It appears that a few heat cycles softens the tire at ambient temp. I will have to do more testing with the IR temp and the Shore Durometer tools to see what is happening when @ operating temps. Just means that I need to have at least 2 hours to ride, which has not been the case for the last 5 weeks...
Heads......Sorry same question, I’ve been looking at the K60 front and K60 Scout front...looks identical on the web.....Is there any difference?
__________________
Beauty is truth and truth is beauty.
Charlie's Side Stand Relocator.
charlie264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #43
stickysidedown
Studly Adventurer
 
stickysidedown's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Oddometer: 654
I had one of the 150's with the older style tread pattern on my 990, the rubbers lasted well except for the centre tread starting to tear, looks like whole blocks would come off if I left the tyre on, not really a grumble as I've been up to 135mph on the speedo with them with extended periods of 100+ but

I suspect that little recessed rib has something to do with holding this tyre together when pushed hard.

shame as they still had good mileage left in them after 4000 miles
stickysidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #44
bigborefan
Making new friends
 
bigborefan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: USA - Midwest, Central Illinois
Oddometer: 1,529
One pattern here is SEs, they eat rear tires...

i have seen threads on here where the MEFO just loses its center knobs bigtime.

I got a buddy that rides a GS1200, he used Hindis and loves them, get 8k to 10K miles I think.
__________________
2010 KTM 530 XC-W / 2009 KTM 950SE / 2005.5 KTM 950 ADV (aka the dirt Harley)

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
bigborefan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:04 AM   #45
charlie264 OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
charlie264's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Blighty
Oddometer: 8,152
Mitas E10 front arrived today, looks like a lot more rubber in the photo, than in the flesh.. better get some heavey snow for xmas. Back to the Karoos T I guess.
__________________
Beauty is truth and truth is beauty.
Charlie's Side Stand Relocator.
charlie264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014