ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #76
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,423
Somebody pointed me at this thread, claiming that I had posted on it, but apparently not.

It seems that the tread pattern has changed for the 150/70-18. I just ran over a razor blade of some sort that sliced a hole in the one that only had 642 miles on it. The date code on that one was something like 3412. The replacement tire has a date code of 2713, which is the first week of July. Below are photos of the two tires that are otherwise the identical size:

The older one:

The newer one:

The thing found INSIDE the tire that cost me $200 today:
Old 09-18-2013, 03:02 AM   #77
daveburton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
mileage on K60s

Not sure if there are mileage data available for the K60.

I fitted a set on my GSA and they have, so far, done 10,000 miles and have about 2,000 left in the rear and a bit more in the front. This compares to about 4 to 5,000 that I get out of EXPs. It's been a fantastic tyre for me as I was travelling through south america and rode 2/3 so far on one set of tyres.

dave
daveburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #78
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 809
Thats the same tread pattern as the terrorflex. looks like a harder compound though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike40 View Post
I don't understand why there is a difference in tread pattern between the 140/17 and the 150/17

I'm waiting for the mitas e-09 dakar to come out in 150 which they tell me should be march.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #79
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 809
craig, your bike empty probably weighs as much as mine loaded. Ive seen those fuel tanks that belong on a c-130 and that 2wd setup has gotta add at least 30 lbs.

I run roughly the same pressures. 32f 36r loaded. like 30-30 unloaded. and around 25-18 in the soft stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
I guess that depends on the amount of gear your traveling w/.

We ran 36 FT/ 36 RR on an offroad when fully geared up.

30 FT/ 25 rear is the lowest I would go offroad if riding w/ no gear or lightly geared up. I prefer to keep the front aired up more. I feel it's helped me keep pinch flats and bent rims away.

We did a write up on our travel experience w/ the K60's here.
http://cjdesignsllc.wordpress.com/20...on-a-big-bike/

These have become my all-around travel tire.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #80
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
New tread pattern

My tire with the older tread pattern

I got 9000 miles out of the old tread pattern and it was cooked.
I could have run it to the cords but didn't need to.

Old worn Heidenau on the left................ New Mefo Super Explorer on the right
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
www.rockstarsmc.com

EZ300 screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 03:54 PM
EZ300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:59 AM   #81
wakked1
Aspiring Itinerant

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
Somebody pointed me at this thread, claiming that I had posted on it, but apparently not.

It seems that the tread pattern has changed for the 150/70-18. I just ran over a razor blade of some sort that sliced a hole in the one that only had 642 miles on it. The date code on that one was something like 3412. The replacement tire has a date code of 2713, which is the first week of July. Below are photos of the two tires that are otherwise the identical size:
Hey Scott, thanks for the info. I'm about to replace my TKC80/Scorp A/T combo with TKC80/K60 (or maybe Mefo SE). Curious if you notice any difference in grip on-road between those two patterns.

I've heard mixed things about the K60 and Mefo SE stepping out at high lean angles, while I've always had lots of confidence in the Scorp A/T at lean. However I did wear out that rear Scorp faster than the TCK80, so I'm hoping to try something that holds up a little better without sacrificing much grip on or off road.

ADV 990, TE610/SM, MULTISTRADA PP
wakked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #82
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 984
A plug for CJ

...he showed us K60s at the rally with every second center rib cut out with a hot-knife-type tire tool. He ran one of these to the rally with a fellow rider running a standard 150...both had similar wear after Wisconsin to Steamboat via some COBDR sections. Offroad traction was greatly improved over the stock K60 in some situations. I believe Craig will be doing this as an option for a small fee if you buy a tire through him.
I have been running 140s to have the full center lug pattern but feel they are undersized for a loaded bike and I don't get the mileage others have quoted. Another inmate pointed out that the 150 when mounted appears to have a more aggressive side knob than the 140. The wider tire will definitely protect your rim better from rocks if you run a lot of that type of trail. I will be trying one of CJs next...

RoundOz screwed with this post 09-19-2013 at 06:08 AM
RoundOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #83
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakked1 View Post
Hey Scott, thanks for the info. I'm about to replace my TKC80/Scorp A/T combo with TKC80/K60 (or maybe Mefo SE). Curious if you notice any difference in grip on-road between those two patterns.

I've heard mixed things about the K60 and Mefo SE stepping out at high lean angles, while I've always had lots of confidence in the Scorp A/T at lean. However I did wear out that rear Scorp faster than the TCK80, so I'm hoping to try something that holds up a little better without sacrificing much grip on or off road.
I fill confident when leaning into a turn on the K60. I don't feel that same confidence with the TKC-80, although I've heard that the smaller sizes, like on my XR650L don't do as well on the street as the larger sizes that would go on an adventure bike.

It was a pleasant surprise for me that the K60 felt so good on the street.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:09 AM   #84
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,761
love the k60 on my 690. Had 2 of them and got about 8000klm on average. They both wore pretty square though so that would explain the stepping out at overly zealous lean angles, which happened to me once but was no problem.

Great tire and I'd buy again cept the pricing has got a little preclusive. Currently trying out an E07 which I'm impressed with so far after about 2K.

One thing I liked about the K60 was the stiff sidewalls...if you ever get a flat out in the bush, you could probably nurse it back to civilisation with no air in it....mind you, you probably wouldn't have a choice as trying to remove it for a fix in the bush would be a tall order
Old 09-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #85
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
One thing I liked about the K60 was the stiff sidewalls...if you ever get a flat out in the bush, you could probably nurse it back to civilisation with no air in it....mind you, you probably wouldn't have a choice as trying to remove it for a fix in the bush would be a tall order
I got a flat on the Dempster Highway earlier this year. I was in front of our group and picked up a nail in the rear tire. My buddy behind me saw that the tire was flat but we were moving at upwards of 60-80mph and couldn't get past the dust to catch me and tell me. Rode it this way for 20+ miles and had no idea it was flat. I just figured the squirley rear end was due to the gravel on the surface of the road.

Fixed the flat pretty quickly as the tire was warm and the bead came off easily.
www.rockstarsmc.com
Old 09-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #86
charlie264 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ300 View Post

Old worn Heidenau on the left................ New Mefo Super Explorer on the right
Forget the tyres, what's with the dead body.....

Old 09-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #87
EZ300
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ300 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
Forget the tyres, what's with the dead body.....

That does look a bit creepy
No worries though as that is actually a pair of deerskin gloves that are now form fitted to my hands.
www.rockstarsmc.com
Old 09-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #88
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
The thing found INSIDE the tire that cost me $200 today:
Was the tire torn badly? I've used tire plugs successfully with the GS, but haven't had to field repair a tire on the 950. I would think that a new tube and a patch on the inside of the tire would get you home, at the least. I think I would try to get some miles out of it, if possible.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #89
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
Was the tire torn badly? I've used tire plugs successfully with the GS, but haven't had to field repair a tire on the 950. I would think that a new tube and a patch on the inside of the tire would get you home, at the least. I think I would try to get some miles out of it, if possible.
The tire was basically still new.

Yes, I could have kept using the tire, but I wouldn't trust it at 80 mph on the freeway with the tire cords cut the way they were.

I didn't want to worry about it next time I have to ride 100 miles in a hurry on a hot day.

Better safe than sorry when it comes to stuff like this.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #90
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
craig, your bike empty probably weighs as much as mine loaded. Ive seen those fuel tanks that belong on a c-130 and that 2wd setup has gotta add at least 30 lbs.

I run roughly the same pressures. 32f 36r loaded. like 30-30 unloaded. and around 25-18 in the soft stuff.
Yes, my bike looks huge and heavy, but truth is the AWD addition to my bike added nothing when the build was done, part of my goal.

I dropped 7 lbs off the front end, the BIG aluminum tanks weigh in at about 2 lbs lighter that the stock plastic tanks PER side and an easy one was to drop in an Earth X battery to save another 5 lbs or so.

Total AWD kit in a box is about 15lbs.

Of course the amount of fuel in the bike can be more or less than factory offers as trails see fit. I find it safer in the main tank than strapped to the back in cans. loaded with gear this bike is very balanced front to rear. My bike kitted out (skidplates, crash bars, bark busters, lights, tool, spare tures and pump) with out luggage and 6 gallons of fuel is about 40lbs heavier than an OEM 950 ADv with no mods what so ever.

At speed anything less than 30psi in the front has given me pinch flats. Everyone rides different speeds of course, but when going gets bad, a big loaded bike running hard, I prefer not to have to deal with flat tires and adjust my riding style instead of air up and down. I try never to run less than 30psi as a general rule on my 950/990 adv or SE.

cjracer screwed with this post 09-21-2013 at 12:10 PM
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote