User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
Pumpy OP
Exiled Pumpernickel

Oddometer: 1,098
UK ADV March Moon Meeting 2011 in Powys, Wales

Last weekend saw yet another of those brilliant trail riding events which involved having a craic, a few beers, evening meals and two days of "let's do some lanes while we are here".

As so many UK Advrider meetings before, this gathering was organised by our trail legend Timpo

... hosted at the Green Inn in Llangedwyn...

... where we were camping or van-ing

... indulging in delicious food

... and having a great time in general. Here is our Cloggie quota enjoying themselves

Apart from some fog on top of the hills, the weather was surprisingly gentle with us during the weekend

I had the great pleasure of leading an All-Girls-Group (well, almost...) along the superb trails in the area

Let me introduce you to the fearless ladies (in alphabetical order so that no one feels neglected...)

Ange - climbing up Waterfall Lane

Danielle - making progress on Ladies' Lane

Dr JM - splashing out on Schoolhouse Lane

Honorary 'Dirty Girl' Jo - on Bastard Ruts Lane

Sarah Teach - tackling the slabs on T'yn-y-pistyll Lane

Short 'n' Spikey - doing the Bombhole

Welshbird - giving it some after Pwynt Ford

We were treated to plenty of stunning trails...

... had some strange encounters...

...experienced a couple of falls...

... but luckily none of those (sorry, 950Taxi... )

And all this in the glorious Welsh countryside!

A big thank you to Timpolino and lovely Sarah for perfect organisation, preparation and execution!

Another big thank you goes to Emma, Scott and little Efa Mae at the Green Inn for their hospitality - we'll be back!

And a third big thank you to everyone for your company, for your help when it was needed and for making this weekend such a great event.

I have many more pictures to post but I thought I'd get the ball rolling as long as the impressions are still fresh in everyone's memory...

Bring it on!

Ela
Old 03-29-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
Windy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Thumb

As usual I forgot to take any good pictures, so this will be a bit dull after Pumpys Tour De Force, probably best to skip to the next post

anyway, on with the rambling...

I was up early Friday morning, the excitement of a weekends trail riding slowly being replaced with trepidation about riding there and back on my CCM.
As preparation for the WYOA Trip to Portugal a shakedown trip was in order.. and this was it!

Last minute checks quickly turned into two hours of faffing so I hit the usual Friday afternoon traffic around London I had planned to miss .
Endless miles of filtering and motorway monotony ensued along with plenty of funny looks at the idiot on the dirt bike screaming down the motorway (me, not the bike!) but as I rolled into the Green Inn car park six and a half hours later I was pleasantly surprised how (relatively) easy the trip had been... who needs a van eh?

The tent was set up, and a good evening was spent in the pub, seeing old faces and meeting a few new ones, any worries I had about Saturday soon disappeared as Knobby told me I was in his group and it would be an easy days ride.. only to later realise I would be in Muddy Mat's group which by all accounts had some kind of marathon trail ride planned

Saturday morning came round none too soon - My choice of summer tent and down sleeping bag wasn't one of my best ideas
but breakfast supplied by the Green Inn hit the spot and was just what I needed to get going, and before I knew it our group set off at 8.30 for the days ride.

The next few hours passed slowly like some kind of horror movie, I was riding like a ****, rapidly getting knackered, thoroughly disappointed in myself and wondering just WTF I was doing here!
The rest of the group very patiently helped me out, picking me up, dusting me off, opening and closing all the gates. Clarky very kindly rode ahead of me for a good part of the day helping me pick better lines, giving me tips and advice which were all sorely needed!

120 miles later we returned to the Green Inn, I've never been so glad to see a car park!
I couldn't believe how I'd managed to get through the day, I was really pleased with how much I'd improved during the day, and both dreading and looking forward to doing it all again on Sunday.. but not before dinner, a couple of pints and some chin wagging in the bar.

Sunday came around and with it.. marathon day two! Ian was only there for the Saturday so the group was down to five.
Luckily some of Saturday's experience had stayed with me and I wasn't quite as crap, although Clarky told me he was going to change my name to Cindy if I didn't speed up a bit so I had to pull my socks up!
Unfortunately Roger had to return to the (fire and a pint ) Green Inn as his shoulder was giving him trouble.
The foggy morning and slick roads cleared up and we had a great day on the trails, I even managed to find a few more gears and was fairly whizzing along (ok, ok, some of the time)

We got back around 6.30 to an almost empty car park, the rest of the group packed up and headed off, and it was far too late to set off home, so I retired to the bar for an evening with the Cloggie contingent and then hit the tent for a well earned rest.

If you thought Friday night was a bit chilly, Sunday night was freezing - I woke up to the tent all covered in ice and my waterproof socks frozen together!
Time to get a move on and hit the road.. and so, the only picture I took, the 404 freshly mud scraped, packed and raring to go

I Left the Green Inn about 9.30 just after Bert and his gang and slowly made my way back home stopping at pretty much every service station for 250 miles eventually getting home at 5.30. who needs a van?... I do

Thanks to:

Timpo for organising the weekend and providing petrol at the last minute Saturday morning
Mat, Roger, Dave, Stu and Ian for a great two days out and all the help above and beyond the call of duty .
The Cloggies for keeping me company Sunday night and helping me tighten all the wobbly bits on the bike before I set off.
Andy C for letting me lock his bike up for him .
Last, but not least, everyone else for the great company, see you all again next time I hope!

Phil

Windy screwed with this post 03-29-2011 at 10:18 AM
Windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
Blackbert
Factory Rambler

Oddometer: 1,055
Windy, I got a little worried Monday morning, you looked a bit skinny, as if you hadn't had any food nor sleep for a few days.
But now:
Some may call you crazy for what you did, but it shows you got the adventurerider spirit.
Looking forward to see you in Portugal.

want to save on Smugmug? use this code (VoUO8M1ukmnMY)

Blackbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
duibhceK
duibhce Kaelann

Oddometer: 260
I was a bit worried as well when I saw you leave Monday morning, Windy. Especially after the freezing cold night in your little ten. Even a cardboard box would probably have been warmer...

But glad to hear you got home ok.

And Pumpy: glad to meet you, hope you guessed my name.
Looking forward to more of your pics.

I didn't have the chance to take any myself as I was too busy trying to stay upright and picking up the Ten when on occasion (ahum) that did not quite work out as planned. Or rather, wait for someone to come and help me pick it up. Thanks to the many girls (and Louisa, Roberta and Christina) that came to my rescue on every occasion. So far for my initial plans to be a perfect gentlemen.

Anyway, I did have loads of fun, I learned a lot and had the chance to ride with a bunch of lovely people. I'll be wearing my honorary title with pride.

A big thanks to Timpo and Sarah as well for organising a perfect weekend.

Oh, and Sofie is sitting next to me at the moment scouring through 2nd hand websites looking for a bike to hit the dirt herself next year

As soon as I finish processing the pics I'll upload some of Monday morning to give y'all an idea of what Windy went through.
duibhceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #5
ChrisUK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Thanks for the great weekend: Timpo for organising, Rick/Timolgra for Sat and Ela/Roberta for Sun, everybody for being great fun and the pub for being super hosts. The bike's getting some major tlc tomorrow.

cheers
Chris/Christina
ChrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
Short'n'Spikey
Back in the saddle!

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by duibhceK View Post

Anyway, I did have loads of fun, I learned a lot and had the chance to ride with a bunch of lovely people. I'll be wearing my honorary title with pride.

A big thanks to Timpo and Sarah as well for organising a perfect weekend.
I have to second that -who knew that something so thoroughly exhausting could be so much fun!!

It was an amazing first ride out with you guys - thank you all for being such great company and showing a newbie the ropes.

Cant wait to catch up with you all again soon

Bring on the photos Pumpy!
Short'n'Spikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
hampsterracing
Devon TRF

Oddometer: 104
Another cracking weekend

great venue a truly welcoming landlord. good food and good beer :-)

even the welsh weather was being kind.

good to catch up with old faces and meet some new ones.

great lanes as always.

cheers to matt and stu for the runs and timpo & sarah for getting off their arses and sorting it as always.it must be someone elses turn soon ..................

but i cant find a venue at the moment :-(

A big shout to clarkey for thinking popping up to london on the way was a good idea

this is the only pic i got all weekend as i forgot my camera

Roger
Old 03-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #8
Paul Young
Low Flying GS Pilot

Oddometer: 285
Thanks a lot for another brill weekend. Great to see all the usual suspects...

Special thanks to Knobby & AndyC for showing us around & for the patience while I did my first ever puncture repair outside of my garage.

If it's not thrashing the fastest two wheeled machinery known to man, down country lanes lined with stone walls, sometimes in thick fog & driving rain, it's not proper racing - Thank goodness for the TT.....

http://www.encantadaholidayrental.com/ Disney holiday accommodation, available to rent in Orlando. You'll never stay in a hotel, again...
Paul Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:35 AM   #9
timolgra1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy View Post
Nice arse

Wonderful to see old faces and some new ones.
Great riding as always so thanks to Timpo and Sarah for making it happen

Ange had a real ball and I was so pleased for her even though she's only just stopped aching
timolgra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:20 AM   #10
malteser
Tuareg Rallye 2013

Oddometer: 317
great pics...looked like an awesome weekend.

Sorry I couldn't make it....I almost have full movement in my arm now so should be on the bike again soon.......
Old 03-30-2011, 05:46 AM   #11
Gazz
In a rut

Oddometer: 530
It went in about two inches between foot and boot. I never felt a thing, apart from being yanked from the bike that is ...

Gazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:52 AM   #12
Short'n'Spikey
Back in the saddle!

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy View Post

Ela
That was far scarier than it looks in the picture - by the time the 4x4 drew level with Danielle the car was at tipping point and we were all either closing our eyes, gritting our teeth or yelling at her to drop the bike and run! I believe what Danielle uttered was "Oh Yikes! I am beyond petrified!" - Well..... that's the polite translation anyway!
Short'n'Spikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:12 AM   #13
duibhceK
duibhce Kaelann

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Short'n'Spikey View Post
Well..... that's the polite translation anyway!
It did sound ever so slightly more agitated than that
duibhceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #14
IamTRooPeR
TRooPER from Belgium

Oddometer: 131
2 weeks ago, I was very looking forward to this event,
especially with my 640adv, which had a new carb, FCR39, so that would be a blast.
And indeed, it was a blast, a week before the MMR, my bike suffered much pain and it needed open heart surgery. BUMMER.

Nevertheless, why do we need friends for.....
I got the first 640adv I ever rode on before and could use it for the MMR. Thx mate. I just had to find the electrical problem for the rear light (and as I am speaking: being FIXED and cleaned the bike like never before)

And that's why Blackbert & McB said to me:

McB with a very big smile, but that would change later.... y'll see.

Search for the 7 differences :

Early arrival on friday,
and who are Blackbert & Timpo smiling at, instead of keep working on the bike:

Sofie's first and last time taking a bike WITHOUT KNOBBLY's out of the van in Wales.

Is this Timpo's new van ? I wonder what bike goes in there ?

And McB is showing us ..... I honestly think he doesn't know it either

I wonder who sleeps at the top ?

IamTRooPeR screwed with this post 03-30-2011 at 06:58 AM
IamTRooPeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:10 AM   #15
IamTRooPeR
TRooPER from Belgium

Oddometer: 131
Earthmover was thinking: Time to go ahead,

Luckily the weather was dry for the last week, nevertheless,
with a heavy bike (950adv) , this hill is a huge pain in the ass

Mr McB is already