User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Broken Record OP
Biscuit Eater

Oddometer: 26
Cherohala Skyway in March A virgin adventurer no more

Just a little bit of background. I live in Knoxville, TN. Ive been riding a Burgman 400 for a few years, but a few months ago bought a 2007 Yamaha FZ1. Weekend before last, I decided to take the Yamaha up the Tail of the Dragon to Deals Gap. While hanging out up there, I met Klaviator and talked to him a bit about this forum. I went home and started checking it out. You could say I got bit by the adventure bug and youd be right. I immediately started planning my first trip. Im no pro photographer, Im no pro rider, Im no pro anything, but I do have one trip under my belt now and am planning my second one for a couple of weeks from now.

As soon as I made up my mind and got permission from my boss (the wife) to try it out, I started making a checklist of things I would need. I also started checking out luggage options. The FZ1 is seriously lacking in that department. I dont think it even has a place to store your gloves (at least not one that Ive found).

Due to budget constraints, I decided Id go with a $15 duffel bag, an $8 bungee net and a few more bungee cords I had in the garage. Im surprised this worked as well as it did. I was able to fit my bivy sack tent, a 40 degree sleeping bag, camp pad mattress, battery powered lantern, and a tripod camp stool in the duffel bag.

I packed a change of clothes, a book to read, camera, mp3 player and some high-class rations (beef jerky, sunflower seeds, and a mountain dew) in the backpack.

I planned to leave out around lunch time on Thursday. I strapped the duffel bag down to the passenger seat on the FZ1, suited up and strapped on the backpack. I noticed two things very quickly.

1. Bringing your leg over a duffel bag isnt as easy as it might seem.
2. A backpack is a terrible idea.

I stopped and gassed up a few miles from home. The backpack just wasnt going to work out the way I had hoped. The duffel pushed against the backpack pushed against me pushed against the gas tank was no way to ride. I took the backpack off and used some bungee cords to strap it to the top of the duffel bag. This felt much better, but I was concerned a little bit about how stable it would be. I adjusted the mirrors so I could see the cargo and kept a close eye on it for about 15 miles until I felt ok with my strap down abilities.

Satisfied that everything was cool, I cleared my mind and got into the excitement of having 24 hours of me time.

My plan was to ride from Maryville, TN (just south of Knoxville) down highway 411, then get off on highway 360 in Vonore and take it to the beginning of the Cherohala Skyway. From there, on to Robbinsville, NC and down to a place called Topton, NC on Highway 74/19 where I had found a small campground on the interwebz.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
aldntn
Vgo

Oddometer: 274
A great ride

that never gets old.

09 DL650ABS
aldntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Broken Record OP
Biscuit Eater

The weather was cloudy and cool, but the mid-late afternoon was supposed to bring some sunshine and a little warmth... this never happened.

Highway 360 from Vonore to the beginning of the Skyway was a great rural residential road with some nice farm land and sweeping curves. I didn't stop to take any pictures because it was really cold and gray.

I found a place to pull off and put on my rain gear for a little extra warmth. I pulled over a few times on the Cherohala to check out the views, but again, didn't take any pictures due to the weather and some low visibility.

As I approached Robbinsville, NC I decided I'd stop and get something to eat. I ate at a joint called Lynn's Place where the food was delicious. Robbinsville knows how to cook southern style.

After filling up on a tuna melt and some macaroni salad, I headed off to Topton, NC. It is about 15 minutes out of Robbinsville on US Hwy 74.

There I set up camp at Brookside Campground.

Here is the brook that is its namesake.

The place is set up to cater to rafters. It's a little early in the season for that, so I had the whole campground to myself.

After buying some firewood at the camp store, I unloaded and set up my tent.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #4
Broken Record OP
Biscuit Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldntn View Post
that never gets old.
Ain't that the truth. I'll be back often.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Broken Record OP
Biscuit Eater

Brookside

Thought I'd give a quick review of the campground here in case anyone is thinking of heading that way. It is owned/run by a husband and wife. I just met the wife and she was extremely nice. The sites are a little close together for my taste, but since I was the only one there it was no problem. Later in the spring and through the summer it would likely feel a little crowded. The other drawback is that it is right on Highway 74 which apparently gets 18 wheeler traffic all night long.

If you're just looking for a place to bed down, though, the price is certainly right at $14. I'd stay here again, but will probably avoid it during rafting season.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
Broken Record OP
Biscuit Eater

It got down to 30 degrees and I woke up around 4 in the morning freezing. I got up and built another fire, goofed around for a couple of hours, then went back to sleep and slept in until 10am. With two kids at home, I can't remember the last time I slept all morning! I could get used to this.

Sunrise at Brookside.

I packed up my gear, loaded up the bike and decided to run down to a small town called Andrews, NC. This was a short ride down 74. Andrews is a wonderful little town with an old style main street.

Main Street in Andrews, NC

Old 03-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
Broken Record OP
Biscuit Eater

Since I skipped breakfast, I was starting to get a mean case of the hungries. I saw some signs for a place called The Burger Basket and decided to give it a try for lunch.

I was not disappointed. Look at this mess of fried up goodness.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
(none)
poser

Oddometer: 2,600
Awesome. Great looking FZ1. I did the Skyway ride last week. Mid march, on a Wednesday morning, pure heaven. Only had to pass one car (a Mercedes) and i got pass him twice (i stopped at an overlook to eat breakfast, he caught up. Empty roads, clear skies, great views, can't ask for much more than that!
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
Broken Record OP
Biscuit Eater

With a full belly and a good disposition, I decided to investigate downtown Andrews for a bit.

Dean's CD store caught my attention immediately.

Dean's is a great store full of used and new CDs, antique radios, old movies and all kinds of local art. Dean is an artist himself. I spent about an hour chewing the fat with him and learning about the area. It was an excellent conversation, plus I ended up buying a CD from NRBQ for $3. Souvenir shopping complete!

One of Dean's pieces of art. I have found that western NC is full of interesting people.

Broken Record screwed with this post 03-29-2011 at 12:37 PM
Broken Record is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
Broken Record OP
Biscuit Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by (none) View Post
Awesome. Great looking FZ1. I did the Skyway ride last week. Mid march, on a Wednesday morning, pure heaven. Only had to pass one car (a Mercedes) and i got pass him twice (i stopped at an overlook to eat breakfast, he caught up. Empty roads, clear skies, great views, can't ask for much more than that!
Thanks! Wednesday was a perfect day! I wish I had been up there then instead of Thursday/Friday, but I'm not complaining. Just one more excuse to go back.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #11
Broken Record OP
Biscuit Eater

It was getting on into the afternoon and I decided to start making my way back towards Knoxville... slowly. I stopped in Robbinsville for gas and they had the Kurt Busch car parked at a Shell there.

Kurt don't like nobody leanin' on nor smokin' round his ride, so I politely took some pics and headed out.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
Broken Record OP
Biscuit Eater

I made a move back to the Cherohala and my beautiful weather vanished. It clouded up again and got cold!

Just as I had the day before, I pulled out the rain gear and layered back up. At this elevation it wasn't too bad... yet.

Sign at the NC end of the Skyway.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #13
Broken Record OP
Biscuit Eater

The higher up I got, the darker and colder it got.

I'm not sure if you can tell or not, but it was actually sleeting here so I pulled off to stretch my legs under a shelter and smoke a cigar.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #14
Broken Record OP
Biscuit Eater

After resting and warming up a bit, I decided to man up and head back down the mountain.

I did pretty well and enjoyed the big sweepers and lack of traffic. I was up there all alone that day. I didn't stop again until No Name Gap.

There was an incredible view there, but it was still cloudy. My camera isn't great for this kind of stuff, but here are a couple of shots.

No Name Gap

Another shot at No Name Gap

Old 03-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #15
Laconic
Aejo

Oddometer: 16,135

Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote