ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #16
Broken Record OP
Biscuit Eater
 
Broken Record's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: At the end of the tail of the dragon
Oddometer: 26
As I got back to highway 360 it really started to rain. I just put my head down and tried to get it over with as quickly as possible. When I got back to Vonore. i stopped at Hardees for one of those big ol' Frisco burgers and dried out.

I live about 30 minutes north of there, so I relaxed for a while until the rain started to slack a little and headed on to the house.

The weather didn't cooperate 100% and I learned a few things that will make my next trip easier. Bottom line is that my next trip is coming soon and I'm already getting excited.

I've had a lot of hobbies over the years, but this is one that is definitely going to stick.

Looking forward to reading and learning more from the rest of y'all. Happy motoring!
__________________
"He who throws mud only loses ground." -- Fat Albert
Broken Record is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #17
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer
 
spagthorpe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 14,637
Really is one of the nicest roads in this country.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #18
Broken Record OP
Biscuit Eater
 
Broken Record's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: At the end of the tail of the dragon
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
Really is one of the nicest roads in this country.
It is my favorite around here for sure. The length is about right for my taste and the curves are just my flavor. I've been over it in a car before, but this was my first time on two wheels. I'm looking forward to doing it again soon on a clear day so I can get some better pics and not have to wear so many layers!
__________________
"He who throws mud only loses ground." -- Fat Albert
Broken Record is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #19
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 5,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Record View Post
...........................................
I've had a lot of hobbies over the years, but this is one that is definitely going to stick.....................
Yeah, it certainly is addictive. I hope your wife never discovers that I pointed you towards this site

Great report. It sounds like you had a good trip, too bad the weather wasn't better.

Some suggestions for camping on future trips. Crawford's campground near Murphy is only $5 per night and is owned by a motorcyclist. The only way to get there is via really twisty roads.

The motorcycle campgrounds are a great place to meet other riders as well as camp. Some examples: Iron Horse Lodge, Kickstand lodge, and Blue Ridge Cycle Camp. There are others.

I have based a few rides out of Andrews, it's a neat little town.

Thanks for taking the time to put together this report.

The only thing missing is an action shot of you riding so here's the one I took last week at Deals Gap.

__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.




klaviator screwed with this post 03-29-2011 at 06:21 PM
klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:15 PM   #20
snowbilly
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 246
Very nice

Hey, thanks for this RR! My wife and I will be moving soon to NC and we're really excited about the area. Thanks for sharing this vignette of riding the area.

rw
snowbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #21
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,862
It's great riding with or without leaves on the trees...

__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:47 PM   #22
don't care
I really don't
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Upstate S.C.
Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpeebles View Post
Hey, thanks for this RR! My wife and I will be moving soon to NC and we're really excited about the area. Thanks for sharing this vignette of riding the area.

rw
Great, another damn yankee moving down...just kidding! I'm an ex-New Yorker myself (Long Island). From northern Georgia up, the Appalachian mountains are home to some of the finest riding there is.
don't care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #23
TrashCan
Scary Jerry
 
TrashCan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Louisville, Tn
Oddometer: 4,410
Good RR.

You do know about the Time Warp Tearoom??

Tuesday Nites year around.

There was about 35 or 40 bikes there tonight, with 10 or more being ADV members.

Come on down and meet some like minded riders.
__________________
X the DY.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:26 AM   #24
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer
 
kitesurfer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: north florida
Oddometer: 1,610
thanks for the trip report! agreed that brookside is noisy and cramped. drive on down the natahala gorge along the river. hang a right at the big NOC store--THE VILLAGE OF WESSER. Up the road about a mile is LOST MINE campground. very nice and spacous sites. a real quiet campground even during rafting season.
__________________
2012 VSTROM ADV 650
US NAVY RETIRED
kitesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #25
Broken Record OP
Biscuit Eater
 
Broken Record's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: At the end of the tail of the dragon
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Yeah, it certainly is addictive. I hope your wife never discovers that I pointed you towards this site

Great report. It sounds like you had a good trip, too bad the weather wasn't better.

Some suggestions for camping on future trips. Crawford's campground near Murphy is only $5 per night and is owned by a motorcyclist. The only way to get there is via really twisty roads.

The motorcycle campgrounds are a great place to meet other riders as well as camp. Some examples: Iron Horse Lodge, Kickstand lodge, and Blue Ridge Cycle Camp. There are others.

I have based a few rides out of Andrews, it's a neat little town.

Thanks for taking the time to put together this report.

The only thing missing is an action shot of you riding so here's the one I took last week at Deals Gap.

Thanks! I won't mention it to the wife. Actually, she likes getting me out of her hair every now and then.

Also appreciate you sharing that photo. It's the only one I have of me riding the bike. Hopefully plenty of more to come over the years.

I checked into that Blue Ridge campsite before I left, but it wasn't open yet. I think it opens up in a couple weeks. I'll definitely look up the others you suggested as well. Camping with some fellow bikers would definitely make the trip more interesting.
__________________
"He who throws mud only loses ground." -- Fat Albert
Broken Record is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:41 AM   #26
Steelybeast
Studly Adventurer
 
Steelybeast's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Ellijay & Suwanee, Georgia
Oddometer: 551
That is such a great area to ride in. We like to go up in those parts for a nice weekend trip when we can.

I like it better when the leaves & tourist are all gone. Great pictures too

David
__________________
2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250S
2004 Honda ST1300
2000 Honda Nighthawk 750 (past)
2008 Kawasaki Versys (past)
Two-Up, Two-Wheels, Two-gether:Switzerland
Steelybeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #27
Broken Record OP
Biscuit Eater
 
Broken Record's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: At the end of the tail of the dragon
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Good RR.

You do know about the Time Warp Tearoom??

Tuesday Nites year around.

There was about 35 or 40 bikes there tonight, with 10 or more being ADV members.

Come on down and meet some like minded riders.
I've heard of it, but never been. Is that in Happy Holler? I play in a rock band and usually have practice on Tuesday nights, but I can skip one here and there. How late do folks usually hang around?
__________________
"He who throws mud only loses ground." -- Fat Albert
Broken Record is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #28
Broken Record OP
Biscuit Eater
 
Broken Record's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: At the end of the tail of the dragon
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
thanks for the trip report! agreed that brookside is noisy and cramped. drive on down the natahala gorge along the river. hang a right at the big NOC store--THE VILLAGE OF WESSER. Up the road about a mile is LOST MINE campground. very nice and spacous sites. a real quiet campground even during rafting season.
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check it out. I saw the website for Lost Mine and can't remember why I chose Brookside instead. I did feel very lucky to the be the only one there.
__________________
"He who throws mud only loses ground." -- Fat Albert
Broken Record is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #29
Broken Record OP
Biscuit Eater
 
Broken Record's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: At the end of the tail of the dragon
Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwpeebles View Post
Hey, thanks for this RR! My wife and I will be moving soon to NC and we're really excited about the area. Thanks for sharing this vignette of riding the area.

rw
My pleasure. Best of luck with your move!
__________________
"He who throws mud only loses ground." -- Fat Albert
Broken Record is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #30
NGAMountainman
Adventurer
 
NGAMountainman's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Morganton GA
Oddometer: 35
The Cherohala was just rated #7 of the best riding roads in the US by AMA members. It's really nice in the off season or on weekdays! Thanks for the report. The Burgerbasket Rocks!
Attached Images
 
NGAMountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014