ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 04:28 PM   #1
WAH III OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Request advice on eastern WV overnighter

I am planning a overnight trip from Blacksburg Va. to Front Royal Va. via the eastern part of West Virginia. Am looking for smooth roads with nice scenery for a sport touring bike. Was thinking about the Highland Scenic Highway and Monogahela Forest. What about camping/restaurants in the Secena Rocks area? Also when I leave Seneca Rocks should I take 33 or go north on 55? Not looking for speed or efficiency here, just the best ride. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,788
Here's a link to the "after-event" photos page of a get-together at Seneca last year.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=563050&page=11

There is the Porch Restaurant at the intersection across from Seneca Rocks (Rt 33 / Rt 55) as well as a good family restaurant (Gateway Inn??) about 6 or 8 miles south, just below Riverton at the entrance to Spruce Knob (See photo below)

Gateway Inn?? Just below Riverton on Rt 33. Good eats!

Don't stay at Yokums hotel. The camping looked good, but the rooms were musty and grungy.

Lots of good riding all over. Check out: www.RidingWV.com for ideas.

Have a great time and be safe!
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
MarylandStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Yup, it's called Gateway Inn or Gateway Restaurant. Pretty decent food and very cheap. A few miles from Judy Gap.
Coordinates: N38 43'02.1 W079 27'35.0
MarylandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #4
pnoman
Just Average

I forgot to add my answer to your question about which route to take out of Seneca.

If you have time, I would try to do the loop from Seneca towards Petersburg to Smoke Hole Road/Franklin/Judy Gap via Rts 55, CR 28-11, Rt 220, and Rt 33. This is about a 60-75 mile loop. There is no gas for the first 40 miles or so, and you are out in the boonies, so don't leave with a 1/4 tank. From Seneca towards Petersburg, there is lots of great scenery. The road is not technically challenging, but has lots of easy curves and hills to keep it interesting. You could probably set it on 55MPH the entire way. (Do watch your speed - it's east to catch yourself doing 80 MPH but there are sometimes police along the road). Right before you get to Cabins, turn south on CR 28-11 (Smoke Hole Road). This narrow, 35 MPH paved road takes you through about 20-25 miles of back-country with nice scenery along the way. Take your time and stop to sightsee. You come out on Rt 220 at Upper Tract, then head south to Franklin. Rt 220 from Upper Tract to Franklin is a very good ride (mix of curves and some straighter sections) and lots of good scenery. You can gas up at the Exxon in Franklin as you turn on to Rt 33 west. West from Franklin to Judy Gap, take Rt 33 up over the mountain. This is a GREAT ride - lots of 25 MPH curves and a fantastic overlook of Germany Valley just on the west side of the summit. Take time to stop for this overlook - it's one of the best in the state in my humble opinion. When you reach Judy Gap, head north to Seneca Rocks and you're back where you started.

The next day, when you head out to Front Royal, you can take Rt 55 into Petersburg and on to Moorefield. From there, you could continue on Rt 55 east into Virginia or take a nice detour south on CR 7 to Oak Flat and Brandywine. This is a good paved 2-lane with a mix of curves and long straights. Watch out for deer!!! From there, Rt 33 east over the mountain to Harrisonburg is another great ride.

These are all good, paved roads that should be fun on a sport-tourer.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 03-31-2011 at 09:07 AM
Old 03-30-2011, 05:16 AM   #5
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
33 is a fantastic road. One of my favorites in the area & is nice and smooth for the most part.

If you stay in Front Royal, you have to hit the Royal Oak Tavern. Good food and a nice place to have a few drinks after a long day of riding. Always had a blast there shooting the bull with the locals. The bartender (Amanda) is quite a cutie too.

Plenty of inexpensive motels in Front Royal too. Not fancy, but clean and safe.
dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:42 AM   #6
riderddonald
Lost rider

Oddometer: 572
Lodging: As pnoman said do not stay at Yokums Motel. It's in major need of remodeling and delousing. Over top of the store is nicer but it's a very busy place especially on the weekends. They stay open as long as people keep coming in for beer, which can be pretty late. Also every cruiser that pulls in and leaves feels the need to rev the engine a few times. The louder the pipes the more times they need to rev the engine. I think it's needed to fill the carbs for when they restart it. Yokums has two campgrounds, one close to the store and one behind the motel. You get road noise at the one by the store buts it's not too bad. Last time I stayed at the one behind the motel I suspected the people who live just behind it were selling drugs. Never seen so many people come and go after dark. Both shower vacillities were okay but not exceptional. Also just south of Seneca Rocks is a NF camp ground called Seneca Shadows which I've never stayed at but one of my employees really likes. It may be a little pricier than Yokums tho.

Roads: The route pnoman suggested is a great ride if you have the time. Route 33 east of Seneca Rocks is nice but turns to 4 lane close to Elkins. You could turn off 33 on route 32 towards Davis and have lunch there. They have a great pizza place and mexican place. Route 55 out of Seneca Rocks is a great road also and pretty much any road you chose from there to Front Royal will be great. If you take 55 to Petersburg from your camp ground there is also a great little diner in Petersburg for breakfast. Sorry I don't remember the name.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:52 AM   #7
pnoman
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderddonald View Post
If you take 55 to Petersburg from your camp ground there is also a great little diner in Petersburg for breakfast. Sorry I don't remember the name.
Probably talking about Sue's (Suzy's??) Diner, next to the Honda/Kawasaki motorcycle shop on Rt 220 south just as you're leaving town (about 3/4 mile south of the downtown stoplight).
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 04-08-2011 at 04:41 PM
Old 03-30-2011, 06:00 AM   #8
JaxObsessed
RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL

Oddometer: 8,988
+1
hwy33 is number 12 in the AMA best roads in the US. :)

If you eat at the gateway, don't forget to ride up to spruce knob... the highest point in WV.
Photos from Sturby.

That HBN guy is everywhere...
Old 03-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,955
More options heading East

If you come up through Petersburg/Moorefield take 55 like has been posted. Stay off the new four lane. What fun is that?
When you come to the stop sign outside Wardensville where the new road meets back up with Rt 55, take a right on the new road then an Immediate left onto Rt. 23/12, Trout Run (alt?) Rd. Follow to the next stop sign and turn right onto Rt. 23/10, Trout Run Rd. Follow that all the way over the WV/VA line at Wolf Gap. It turns into Rt 675, Wolf Gap Rd at the State line. Follow to the stop sign and turn left and continue on down to Columbia Furnace. That is a very nice paved road(s) the entire way.
When you get to Columbia Furnace take a right on Rt. 42 then an immediate left onto Rt. 675 Stoney creek Rd. Follow that into Edinburg, take a left onto Rt 11 then a right onto Rt 675, Edinburg Gap Rd. That will take you into Fort Valley. When you get to the stop sign in Fort Valley take a left onto Rt. 678, Fort Valley Rd.
Follow that all the way up Fort Valley to Rt. 619, Mountain Rd. Follow that to the Stop light at Rt 340, take a left and you are in Front Royal in less than two miles.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
WAH III OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys, this is exactly the type of information I was looking for. Haven't been on Skyline Drive or the northern sections of BRP since high school and was trying to find an interesting way to get to my starting point at Front Royal for a May ride. I may try Secena Shadows for camping. Great route advice, thanks.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,297
Lots of great roads in that area, just as was stated above.
I rented a cabin at Yokum's, it was ok but no more.
Cabins at Smoke Hole are much nicer.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:23 AM   #12
pnoman
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAH III View Post
Thanks guys, this is exactly the type of information I was looking for. Haven't been on Skyline Drive or the northern sections of BRP since high school and was trying to find an interesting way to get to my starting point at Front Royal for a May ride. I may try Secena Shadows for camping. Great route advice, thanks.
When are you going?
www.RidingWV.com
Old 04-10-2011, 06:27 AM   #13
WAH III OP
Adventurer

May 13th trip down Skyline Drive and BRP.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #14
pnoman
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAH III View Post
May 13th trip down Skyline Drive and BRP.
Still going to travel through WV? If so, what routes did you pick?

Let's see some pix when you get back.

Safe travels.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 05-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,955
Sucks it is raining on your trip. Try to stay dry!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote