ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #211
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool
 
troy safari carpente's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: f5ederation of scandwegia
Oddometer: 17,520
Yamaha TT600 E Belgarda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahnarzt View Post
they are big girls, but they like to get airborne too.
It flew okay... but with the shorter stroke front and rear suspension (240mm ?? IIRC ?) it was a bit harsh on the bigger landings though... It cased pretty hard a couple of times while we were clowning around and made some rather loud "clunks" at the rear... so after half a dozen or so launches for the cameramans benefit, we decided to ease off on the aerobatic stuff, for fear of snapping a linkage or stuffing a shock (we were a long way from nowhere).

As I recall I preferred the forks and rear shock on the S model TT600 Belgarda, that we had along on the ride as well (300mm travel front and back... and a better action to boot)... but the "S" only had a kick starter. Ideally we would have thought the ultimate combination was the E model el-start motor in the S model longer travel chassis... Both were great bikes though... pity that Yamaha... like the rest of the japanese manufacturers, has decided to stop producing bikes for this niche in the market.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy John
"There is a difference between constructive criticism and plain rudeness."


Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #212
Fred333
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Hamburg , Germany
Oddometer: 46
Hi folks,
nice to see a TT 600 thread!!!
I just finished the restoration of mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbNphQFtUfI

Fred

PS.: read the text below the film... there is a link to the restauration...
__________________
TT 600 36A, 59X, 3SW bastard
Restauration here: http://www.tenere.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=82

XT 600 Z Tenere (34L)
Fred333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:20 PM   #213
kyleoz
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Katherine, NT
Oddometer: 38
Here is my old girl..

She is a 1997 Belgarda, (formaly pink and purple)

Tho iv upgraded to a DR650se, this has been the BEST bike iv ever owned for propper single trail bush camping,

I hafta sell her now, unless i can convince the missus we ( I mean the whole family ) NEED a street tracker, she would be a great project.( I think)
__________________
The only thing better than a great hobby is mixing a few great hobbies together!!
kyleoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #214
kyleoz
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Katherine, NT
Oddometer: 38
oops!!
Attached Images
 
__________________
The only thing better than a great hobby is mixing a few great hobbies together!!
kyleoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #215
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow
 
Cigar Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Centennial, Co
Oddometer: 1,453
Progress

I got a chance to go through the TT this week. Some minor damage fixed and regular maintenence. The bike started right up on the forth kick with gas that only God knows is how old. Installed new Unicross tires, brush guards, grips, lubed cables, changed oil and filter, and set float bowl level. Waitng for sprockets, chain, and rollers to be delivered.

I need to get it ready to be plated which will be a lot more work. I love this bike!







Mike
__________________
When in doubt, give it Gas!
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #216
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer
 
brucifer's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Eureka, Ca.
Oddometer: 2,231
Looking good Mike! Is that a Progressive Suspension spring on your shock?
__________________
2005 KTM 525EXC-2000 Buell M2 Cyclone-1996 XR600R-Plated 1995 XR600R-1993 Kawasaki KX500-1984 Honda XL600R/XR650L Hybrid-1984 Yamaha TT600L-1980 Honda CB750F
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #217
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow
 
Cigar Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Centennial, Co
Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Looking good Mike! Is that a Progressive Suspension spring on your shock?
I bought that spring in 1985 and have no idea where I got it. I don't remember it being that color. I put heavier fork springs in also. I sold the bike to a relative in 1997 and just got it back last summer. The bike was set up for riding the desert back in those days.

I bought a XR650L back in 2004 and it is a dog compared to the TT. I am glad I only have to put a brake light switch, horn, battery and a mirror to plate this in Colorado. I should have it done long before the snow melts. As soon as it is ready I am heading to NM or Arizona.

Can anyone tell me what mpg I should expect? I very seldom rode it more than in 60 mile loops, and have no idea what it gets.

Mike
__________________
When in doubt, give it Gas!
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #218
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer
 
BIG ED XT FAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Finger Lakes Western New York
Oddometer: 1,184
Wicked Front disc Brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
I got a chance to go through the TT this week. Some minor damage fixed and regular maintenence. The bike started right up on the forth kick with gas that only God knows is how old. Installed new Unicross tires, brush guards, grips, lubed cables, changed oil and filter, and set float bowl level. Waitng for sprockets, chain, and rollers to be delivered.

I need to get it ready to be plated which will be a lot more work. I love this bike!







Mike
Nice find!! You can upgrade your front forks to a disc brake, with a front end off a YZ 250 86 or a yz 490. Easy to do. I have a KX 250 front end on my bike. Stops good!!! Was 43mm and slide right in!! Have Fun!!! Not sure how far you can go on the stock tank?? I have got 60-80 miles on my tank. All enduro type riding. BIG ED XT&TT 600 FAN!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #219
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow
 
Cigar Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Centennial, Co
Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
Nice find!! You can upgrade your front forks to a disc brake, with a front end off a YZ 250 86 or a yz 490. Easy to do. I have a KX 250 front end on my bike. Stops good!!! Was 43mm and slide right in!! Have Fun!!! Not sure how far you can go on the stock tank?? I have got 60-80 miles on my tank. All enduro type riding. BIG ED XT&TT 600 FAN!!
I was aware of changing the front forks thanks to posts here at ADV. I rode the bike 13 years and never had a problem with the front brake. I am going to put some miles on it before I decide if I want to make the switch. The drum takes more pull but I was able to lock it up if needed.

80 miles on a tank is not going to cut it. I will need to see what can be done to fit a larger tank on the bike. I am sure I will need to do some welding to adapt a larger tank but this is not a problem, if I can find something that will fit. I have not seen a postinng where someone has fit a larger tank on the 1984 TT600.

Thanks,

Mike
__________________
When in doubt, give it Gas!
Cigar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #220
Fred333
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Hamburg , Germany
Oddometer: 46
Hi Mike,
Acerbis made a 20 Liter Tank. If that will not be enough... have a look at my restauration in an other forum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbNphQFtUfI
In the text below this film is a linky.
Cheers Fred

PS.: Ahhh rats! I forgot you didn´t get the XT 600 Z to the US and A.
__________________
TT 600 36A, 59X, 3SW bastard
Restauration here: http://www.tenere.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=82

XT 600 Z Tenere (34L)
Fred333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #221
keninoc
Diverse Terrainer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Murrieta California
Oddometer: 118
Very nice Mike. I bought both the upper and lower chain rollers last week, and many chain roller suppliers list them as the same part. but they are not. I believe that BikeBandits schematic is correct. Not so with SMS' catalog.
keninoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #222
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Rifle, Colorado
Oddometer: 317
Good lookin' bike. My forks, wheel and disc brake are from a XR600 Honda. 43mm and a really easy swap. My bike is Colorado plated without a battery. It had a current title so all I had to do was pay the "fine" for not having current registration, and it was plated.


Kelly_O is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #223
Reino
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Reino's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: namibia
Oddometer: 206
Sorry to barge in but has anyone ever had gearbox problems on there 34k tt600 especially those that have, lets just say a wee bit more than standard torque output? Oo and does any one know how long those flat track xt600's and tt600's 5th gear's lasted?

Reino screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 11:00 AM Reason: for got to add info
Reino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:24 AM   #224
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dvgonzo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Oddometer: 329
Reino,

I believe I had around 40K on mine when I sold it. Although the motor was getting tired and it would smoke a little. (Did I mention I just horse whipped that scooter out in the dirt most of the time I owned it?)

I had mine licensed and would ride it to the dirt as well as back. I hunted birds (Quail) off it for lots of years too by tieing a shotgun scabbard to the side, was a hoot! I bought it brand new and averaged about 2-3K each year on it, mostly in the dirt, till I sold it in about '02.

I never had ANY issues whatsoever with the tranny or clutch. It was pretty well bullet proof.

I think most tranny issues tend to come from people shifting without using the clutch, or not using it ALL the time. I have owned a plethora of motorcycles over the years, most of them going pretty high mileage too, and have NEVER had any issues with any tranny, although I have had to replace a clutch pack or two.

I always use the clutch EVERY time. I have a couple buds who do not, and will tell you so!..... and they have had far more tranny issues than I can believe!

I do not think bumping up the HP on a bike would that in itself cause tranny issues either, but then again, riding style to me would be the bigger issue.
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #225
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer
 
BIG ED XT FAN's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Finger Lakes Western New York
Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgonzo View Post
Reino,

I believe I had around 40K on mine when I sold it. Although the motor was getting tired and it would smoke a little. (Did I mention I just horse whipped that scooter out in the dirt most of the time I owned it?)

I had mine licensed and would ride it to the dirt as well as back. I hunted birds (Quail) off it for lots of years too by tieing a shotgun scabbard to the side, was a hoot! I bought it brand new and averaged about 2-3K each year on it, mostly in the dirt, till I sold it in about '02.

I never had ANY issues whatsoever with the tranny or clutch. It was pretty well bullet proof.

I think most tranny issues tend to come from people shifting without using the clutch, or not using it ALL the time. I have owned a plethora of motorcycles over the years, most of them going pretty high mileage too, and have NEVER had any issues with any tranny, although I have had to replace a clutch pack or two.

I always use the clutch EVERY time. I have a couple buds who do not, and will tell you so!..... and they have had far more tranny issues than I can believe!

I do not think bumping up the HP on a bike would that in itself cause tranny issues either, but then again, riding style to me would be the bigger issue.
Nice info about your TT600. Thanks for posting!!! Thump-On!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014