Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #91
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgonzo View Post
Those sound like classic plugged idle jet symptoms to me, which also come from having the bike sit with gas in the carb. I had this problem twice on different dirt scoots in the past year and I am GOOD at draining the gas out of the bowls when I park them. Problem (IMO) is this crap gas they are force feeding us.

On my KLR I had it start to miss and chug in just 5 weeks of sitting the winter before last, and the gas was treated with Stabil AND Seafoam!

Yes, you can remove the float bowl to access it. It helps to loosen the two hose clamps on each side of the carb's rubber boots and rotate the carb about 45 degrees, also put a squirt of wd40 on top of each boot and allow it to run down around the boot, it makes it lot easier to then rotate the carb). Also make sure you pull a little slack in the cables to allow it to turn.

Put a shop rag or towel accross the top of the cases just under the carb in case you drop anything (been there before!).

Remove the bowl, then you pull the little pin that slides through and holds the floats in. This will allow the float to drop out and the needle and seat come down with it, usually. Give a blast of carb cleaner or wd40 up into where the needle seats while you are there.

The idle jet is the small one that sits up into the well next to the main jet and it gets plugged real easy as gas evaporates up through it leaving behind a little plug of varnish. Most times you HAVE to push a real small wire throuh it to get it cleared out completely.

I use a small bread tie wire stripped of the plastic. I beleive it is like .016 or .013 hole so real small diameter. You can also use a real small # drill but push the shank end through it to prevent scratching the jet.

Re-assmble...RIDE!
Some good tips here dvgonzo, but these bikes run a dual-carb set-up so there's no rotating them.

And you're right about the crap gas. I'm having more trouble with my carbs now, after only sitting for WEEKS not months, than I ever have in years past.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #92
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Thanks guys! Nicely written instructions! The last carbs I had apart were the Amals on my '72 Norton, but I'll muddle through. I also need an inline fuel filter as the screens on the petcock crumbled when I put the Clarke tank on the bike a few weeks ago. It all adds up, doesn't it? Thanks again, Kelly.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #93
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Brucifer...Good point Du-Oh! I been working on one to many WR's here lately and completely forgot about that!

I sold my TT600 some years back and do remember the twin carbs...I think I might even still have a manual for it somewhere too.

I do know you can get the bowl off the left carb (right sucks it's gas from that same bowl I seem to remember) if you have one of those real short rachet like screw drivers so you can get to the bowl screws. I believe I did re-jet and clean mine out once without removing the carb.

Yeah this "new' gas is way worse than the "old" stuff!

I went and tried this new stuff last winter called Startron. It is available through Walmart but only in their Marine Departments. MAN, it totally kicks A$$! I never had anything work on cleaning out gummed up carbs like it does. Even had a buddy (hot rodder) who has been reworking his old '46 Chevy pickup. It was parked for 6 years this go round and after I told him about Startron he poured a whole bottle (pretty small, 8 oz. or so I think) into his tank after he drained the old gummy crap out and added a couple gallons of fresh fuel as the fuel sender was totally gummed in place. In less than a week it started working again and he never even had to take it out! HE is way happy about that! EVen bought me a beer for the tip!

And Keely_O,

Definately put a fuel filter on it, I even like running them if I have a pre-screen in the tank just cause they can save you so many headaches!
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #94
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Brucifer...Good point Du-Oh! I been working on one to many WR's here lately and completely forgot about that!

I sold my TT600 some years back and do remember the twin carbs...I think I might even still have a manual for it somewhere too.

I do know you can get the bowl off the left carb (right sucks it's gas from that same bowl I seem to remember) if you have one of those real short rachet like screw drivers so you can get to the bowl screws. I believe I did re-jet and clean mine out once without removing the carb.

Yeah this "new' gas is way worse than the "old" stuff!

I went and tried this new stuff last winter called Startron. It is available through Walmart but only in their Marine Departments. MAN, it totally kicks A$$! I never had anything work on cleaning out gummed up carbs like it does. Even had a buddy (hot rodder) who has been reworking his old '46 Chevy pickup. It was parked for 6 years this go round and after I told him about Startron he poured a whole bottle (pretty small, 8 oz. or so I think) into his tank after he drained the old gummy crap out and added a couple gallons of fresh fuel as the fuel sender was totally gummed in place. In less than a week it started working again and he never even had to take it out! HE is way happy about that! EVen bought me a beer for the tip!

And Keely_O,

Definately put a fuel filter on it, I even like running them if I have a pre-screen in the tank just cause they can save you so many headaches!

Thanks for your concern. I ordered one a few hours ago from RockyMountainMC.com. I'm looking forward to working on it. I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks again, Kelly.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #95
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

1984 TT600 Carb Questions...

I just pulled my carb apart and TRIED to reassemble it. First off, does the carb have an actual float bowl gasket? Mine didn't. It did have a bowl full of "snot" and I'm surprised the bike ran at all. There was a o-ring style gasket but NOT a real fiber gasket. Is that correct? The schematics at Bike Bandit and Powersports Plus show an actual gasket and NO o-ring thingy. Next ? Does the needle (needle and seat) have a spring on it? Mine doesn't. If it should, where can I get one? Thanks, Kelly.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #96
dnnyrckts
n00b

Oddometer: 8
84 TT600 carb

KELLY_O

The schematic that I saw at Dillon Bros seemed to show a traditional fiber gasket. My original carb came with an O-ring type seal that fit in a groove in the bowl. I ordered the part thinking that I would get the fiber gasket, as an updated part. When It arrived it was the o-ring style just like the original. Just be sure not to let gasoline , carb cleaner , etc come in contact with the o-ring until it is installed on the bowl and the bowl attached to the carb body . Gas makes the o-ring expand to the point that it is too big/long to fit in the groove. If this happens you have to let it dry overnight so that it will fit.
dnnyrckts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #97
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnnyrckts View Post
KELLY_O

The schematic that I saw at Dillon Bros seemed to show a traditional fiber gasket. My original carb came with an O-ring type seal that fit in a groove in the bowl. I ordered the part thinking that I would get the fiber gasket, as an updated part. When It arrived it was the o-ring style just like the original. Just be sure not to let gasoline , carb cleaner , etc come in contact with the o-ring until it is installed on the bowl and the bowl attached to the carb body . Gas makes the o-ring expand to the point that it is too big/long to fit in the groove. If this happens you have to let it dry overnight so that it will fit.

Thanks. I thought it fit snug last night when I removed it, but this morning it was 3/16" from meeting at the ends. Do you happen to recall if the needle on the float had a keeper or spring on it? Mine didn't. Thanks, Kelly.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:05 PM   #98
dnnyrckts
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_O View Post
Thanks. I thought it fit snug last night when I removed it, but this morning it was 3/16" from meeting at the ends. Do you happen to recall if the needle on the float had a keeper or spring on it? Mine didn't. Thanks, Kelly.
Nope , no spring or keeper to hold it in place. I bought this bike new in '83 and am the only one that ever had the carb apart, never had a keeper.
dnnyrckts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 PM   #99
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnnyrckts View Post
Nope , no spring or keeper to hold it in place. I bought this bike new in '83 and am the only one that ever had the carb apart, never had a keeper.

Thanks for getting back to me on this. I found my carb problem. Had nothing to do with the float, needle or seat. Some fool (me) screwed the idle mixture screw all the way in during reassembly. They don't idle like that, Kelly.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:52 AM   #100
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Thanks for getting back to me on this. I found my carb problem. Had nothing to do with the float, needle or seat. Some fool (me) screwed the idle mixture screw all the way in during reassembly. They don't idle like that, Kelly.
Well, Run better? Can you ride it now!!?? ED
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:02 PM   #101
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
Well, Run better? Can you ride it now!!?? ED

Hey Ed,
She started first kick and ran pretty good. There is still something NOT right. I'm changing the spark plug this evening and installing my new UNI filter (Thanks to you). We'll see if that makes it run smoother. I'll report any progress... Kelly.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #102
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Ride Again TT 600!!

Quote:
Hey Ed,
She started first kick and ran pretty good. There is still something NOT right. I'm changing the spark plug this evening and installing my new UNI filter (Thanks to you). We'll see if that makes it run smoother. I'll report any progress... Kelly.
I ran my TT600 last night. Have a 5 mile "woods" trail out back of house. Can only ride in late spring summer, early fall. Floods the rest of the time. My last ride was about 2 months ago, my tt started right up. Gas stabler in the tank {Red stuff} . Works good.
Next week i am going to get my toes "Fix". So it sits again!!::((( Diabetes Crap!!!! ED
Old 06-22-2011, 08:35 PM   #103
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

New Kill Button for the TT600

Over at E-bay theres a guy selling NOS TT600 kill bottons for $12.85!!! So if you need one, there you go!!! Will fit YZ 490, YZ 250, too!! Drum brakes !! FREE Shipping!!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #104
dvgonzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
I do remember having issues with the o-ring seal as well.

It had grown in length as (dnnyrckts mentions) so when I tried to reinstall it there was to much o-ring to fit back into the groove. I did not know about letting it sit overnight to shrink back down but did finally get it back in (with the help of a few dabs of grease to hold it in place).

Also as he already mentioned the needle is just captivated in place by the float tab.

You may want to look at the o-ring seal around the mixture screw real closely again as I have had problems with these before that are a real bear to work out. Even a small nick on that o-ring, having it get hard (so it does not seal well) can cause all sorts of headaches.
dvgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #105
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I do remember having issues with the o-ring seal as well.

It had grown in length as (dnnyrckts mentions) so when I tried to reinstall it there was to much o-ring to fit back into the groove. I did not know about letting it sit overnight to shrink back down but did finally get it back in (with the help of a few dabs of grease to hold it in place).

Also as he already mentioned the needle is just captivated in place by the float tab.

You may want to look at the o-ring seal around the mixture screw real closely again as I have had problems with these before that are a real bear to work out. Even a small nick on that o-ring, having it get hard (so it does not seal well) can cause all sorts of headaches.

This evening I changed the spark plug and installed a NEW UNI filter. The bike started fine, idled fine and revved nice and clean. There still is a problem of some sort. I took her for a short ride around the neighborhood. It accelerates good and hard and doesn't stall at the stop signs. It does "surge" while riding along at a constant speed. There are 2 things that I am considering as THE problem. It's possible that I may have tweaked the float level when I took the bowl off the first time. Does anyone know what the measurement for the float should be. I know that isn't the CORRECT way to judge float height, but it would let me judge if the level is even in the ball park. The other possibility is the idle mixture screw o-ring. I noticed that it has a tear in it. It isn't torn through. What say you, TT veterans?