Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #16
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
FWIW in the late 1990s there was a company in the PNW that built enduro-ized CR250Rs and their bikes carried fuel in the frame spars and in a specially-constructed skid plate with a compartment for fuel between the frame rails. I've also seen a couple of CRF450R supermoto bikes with oil in the front frame downtube. I have ambitions of modding my CR250R to carry as much fuel as I can manage in the frame, but don't know that I'll ever get around to it

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:17 PM   #17
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
FWIW in the late 1990s there was a company in the PNW that built enduro-ized CR250Rs and their bikes carried fuel in the frame spars and in a specially-constructed skid plate with a compartment for fuel between the frame rails. I've also seen a couple of CRF450R supermoto bikes with oil in the front frame downtube. I have ambitions of modding my CR250R to carry as much fuel as I can manage in the frame, but don't know that I'll ever get around to it
Cool, didn't know that. Was planning on using the downtube or the twin-spars to carry oil, as the stock fuel tank has plenty of capacity and there are really no clearance issues. Was going to run the stock tank to get it running, and then make a composite tank afterwards, mostly to smooth-out the lines (stock tank looks unfinished without the radiator shrouds).
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #18
DualSpaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
I remember that. It was an article in Dirt Bike magazine. Although as I remember it, it was just some guy that had done it, not a product for sale. I think between the frame spars and the small compartment welded to the skid plate he got an extra .7 gal. It used a vacuum operated Mikuni fuel pump mounted to the skid plate, next to the custom fuel compartment. They did say it took forever to fill the tank(s).
Seemed like a good idea at the time.
DualSpaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #19
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
I think one of the build threads over at BannedCR500Riders has a guy using the frame for additional fuel capacity. That's a bike where you'd want it.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

It's been a while since I've updated this thread, and I've been too busy with other projects to dedicate any more time to this bike, but am looking forward to getting back into it. We sold off the last of our Hondas a while ago and I've got a big pile of parts left over. Got rid of the 450R suspension and have late-model CRF250X forks and shock now, along with a set of 20mm offset Scotts tripleclamps, which should make this thing really nimble. Also ditched the 19" rear wheel so I can run an 18" trials tire. The other thing I was really happy to snag was one of those old White Brothers E2 silencers off a 250F. It's got a one-piece can that's practically indestructible. Wish they still made 'em. Bunch of other small parts too. Forget exactly what, but have pretty much everything I need to finish this bike - except time, and motivation (my 450XCW kinda killed that). But I'm going to see this thing through. Eventually. In the meantime, check out this super cool thread on thumpertalk.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #21
Rot Box
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Cool build! I like your Alaskan camper--I have one too lots of fun :)
Old 08-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #22
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Sadly, the Alaskan Camper is long gone. Gave it to a friend when I started building this. Those Alaskan Campers are great though. Super well-built.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:11 AM   #23
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Sold my KTM to raise some money for GatosBros and the XRamblers aren't finished yet, and I've got almost all the parts I need to finish this bike, so I started working on it again. Just a few hours here and there, in between other projects.

Ended up having to remove quite a bit of material from the frame in order to get the engine to sit in the right place. The 'right' place being determined primarily by the height of the countershaft sprocket (trying to mimic the location of the stock CRF engine).

After finishing the rough fit, had to modify the XR's swingarm engine-mount bushings to locate the engine a little more accurately.

Tried turning them on a lathe. No way. Had to anneal them first.

Then I went to go see my buddy Mark at MDR and he bored them out to 17mm for me.

Then I used some old calipers and other tools that I inherited to measure the width of the frame and all the swingarm components in order to figure out what kind of bushings I'll need to make to locate the engine side-to-side.

Was curious about the capacity of the downtube, so flipped the frame over and filled it up with water. Anybody want to guess how much it holds? If you get it right I'll... send you some GatosBros stickers?

Also took some measurements from the stock engine cradle tubes, purchased some 1x1" x .120-wall 6061 tubing and had some new engine cradle tubes mandrel-bent. Those are done and they turned out really nice, but I didn't taken any pictures because I haven't fit them to the chassis yet.

jesusgatos screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 01:23 AM
Old 08-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #24
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Sadly, the Alaskan Camper is long gone. Gave it to a friend when I started building this. Those Alaskan Campers are great though. Super well-built.
Crazy... just made arrangements to purchase another Alaskan Camper today!
Old 08-26-2013, 04:05 AM   #25
yzmaico
Slacker

Oddometer: 305
Oh man! I'm diggin' this thread! Loved my old XR's.

The inmate that was selling his XR400 for $2,700, just shows how many true trail riders miss the XR line-up. Such is life in the wacky U.S. market place.
yzmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #26
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Haven't had a chance to start fitting the engine-cradles yet, but this is what they look like. Went ahead and had them mandrel-bent because if bending square tubing with a rotary-draw bender distorts the fuck out of the inside and outside walls. These on the other hand, turned out berry niiiiice.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:21 AM   #27
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Been busy with other projects and before I got back to building this bike, my brother dumped another one in my lap. We'd bought a couple DMC CR80 conversion frames a few years ago. An XR100 and an XR200 version. There were a few problems with the XR100 that I had to fix, but the XR200 frame was a disaster. Engine-mounts didn't line-up, header flange didn't clear the frame, couldn't use the kickstarter, footpeg mounts were bent, etc. The modifications required to stuff an XR200 engine into a CR80 frame are extensive, and the quality of this conversion was so poor we never even bothered to build it up. But that little XR100 conversion sure was a lot of fun...

...and we already had all the parts, so I decided to take a few days and bust it out. If nothing else, finishing it would make more space for other projects, which I desperately need.

Chopped-up an old CHM exhaust system that came off the bike we pulled the CRF150F engine out of. Picked up a Miller Multimatic 200 portable ARC/MIG/TIG welder a while ago, but haven't had time to practice TIG-welding, so I asked my buddy John to weld-up the exhaust for me. He was pretty impressed with the quality of that little machine, and it turned out pretty well considering that he was on welding dirty old exhaust tubing.

CR80 footpeg mounts have a tendency to bend, especially when big kids are having too much fun on them. This is a stock CR80 frame.

Was a little bit pissed that the footpeg mounts were bent when we got this frame from DMC, and beyond that, the right side footpeg mount interfered with the kickstarter. So I decided to cut the footpeg mounts off and use a footpeg mount from an XR250 on the right side. Have some reservations about bolt-on footpeg mounts after one fell off my XR650, but it seemed like the best (only) option.

Had these little threaded bungs machined and welded them into the frame.

Wish I had a plasma torch, but had to hand-cut all these little brackets and gussets.

Pretty happy with how it turned out though. Tied into the swingarm pivot and looks to be pretty bomb-proof.

Took the opportunity to move the footpegs further back, so had to cut off the left side footpeg mount too. This is how I made sure they were symmetrical. Aligned with the swingarm pivot bolt.

Similar gussets on this side, but the footpeg mount is welded to a short piece of tubing that pierces through the frame.

Decided to chop-up the kickstarter in order to optimize the footpeg placement. Haven't finished smoothing that out, but it's functional. Good enough for now.

There was a small notch in the downtube for header clearance, but it wasn't the right size/shape so I had to cut that out and replace it.

Had a problem with the steering stops shearing-off on the lower tripleclamps on the CR80/XR100 conversion, and solved that problem by adding a little more material to the steering stops.

The leading edge of this skidplate where it ran into the frame was another abortion. Cut it apart and smoothed it out.

Moved the CDI to a little more protected location too. Wiring harness is tucked tight into the frame now.

Last thing to do was machine these little bushings that allowed us to run a GatosBros KTM stabilizer mount on these aftermarket upper tripleclamps. John helped me out with that too.

Done. Final assembly to verify that everything fit right and get it out of my way. Rob will tear it down and have the frame powdercoated.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:36 AM   #28
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming. Think this is about where we left off, and I haven't got much further.

Using a right-side XR250 footpeg mount on this bike too. Located the point where I wanted the forward mounting hole to be (lower and further back than stock), and drilled that out, taking care to keep the drill parallel to the swingarm pivot-bolt. Could only drill up to 5/8" because of the way the frame is shaped. Have to use an air grinder to remove the rest of the material so I can slide the 1" bung in there.

Trimmed-up an extra engine cradle tube and test-fit it. Going to tuck those tubes up a little tighter, closer to the bottom of the engine, but these are going to work out great.

Was going to wait to remove this part of the frame until after I'd welded-up the lower engine cradle, but wasn't able to install/remove the engine so bye-bye. No worries about anything moving. Downtube is SOLID.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:43 AM   #29
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,182

How did I not see this thread before? Prolly because I'm a noob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.

RFVC600R screwed with this post 04-26-2014 at 02:53 AM
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #30
jesusgatos OP
fishing with dynamite

Borrowed a few high-quality burr-bits from a friend and WOW, what a difference. It's at least 2-3 times faster/easier than working with the shitty bits I was using.

Finished fitting the test-piece and then started fitting the real engine cradle tubes. So far so good.

Verified that I'm able to remove/install the engine with the engine cradle tubes in place.

And made a temporary mount to locate the engine so I can start making the rest of the engine mounts.