ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
jscottyk OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jscottyk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 329
Kineo Tubeless Wheels

I did a quick google search here at advrider.com and don't seem much discussion of these. Anybody know anything about these?... Seen them in the flesh?

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=63917.0
http://www.ratherberiding.co.za/go-o...-wheel-system/
http://www.in-motion.it/main.php?lan...=4&contText=2#
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,780
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco
 
Camel ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Cowtown
Oddometer: 1,378
Cool but at $1800 US for the front and $2000 for the rear and I expect they won't sell many
__________________
Camel Tank auxiliary fuel tank for F series BMW twins. www.Camel-ADV.com

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Grand Valley, Colorado
Oddometer: 4,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
Cool but at $1800 US for the front and $2000 for the rear and I expect they won't sell many
I will second that.......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,780
Agreed.
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
jscottyk OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
jscottyk's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Austin, Texas
Oddometer: 329
Indeed. Makes the billet/Caponord setup look affordable!
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
modeselector
Common as muck
 
modeselector's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Washington USA
Oddometer: 623
[QUOTE=Oso Blanco;15549146]Cool but at $1800 US for the front and $2000 for the rear and I expect they won't sell many[/QUOTE

Good for Woody
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
Ball and Chain
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Cape Town
Oddometer: 12
I bought a set of the Kineo tubeless rims for my KTM 990R. It seems to me that the time has come to open the can of worms
Ball and Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
Mollygrubber
Eschew obfuscation
 
Mollygrubber's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver, BC
Oddometer: 1,322
Wow. Rim porn.

__________________
"What you damn kids need is a right good war" - my father
Mollygrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #10
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider
 
ScienceOfDirt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Snowbelt/Rustbelt of Northeast Ohio
Oddometer: 1,724
I like the tubeless idea and the look, but are they actually strong enough for off road, and can they be straightened. At that price, I'd hate to abuse them and find out the answer is no.
__________________
Friend: That was some trail shortcut. Me: Yep. See how fast we got lost.
ScienceOfDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
Ball and Chain
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Cape Town
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
I like the tubeless idea and the look, but are they actually strong enough for off road, and can they be straightened. At that price, I'd hate to abuse them and find out the answer is no.
It is actually not the rim that gives the problems. It's the combination of rear hub and cush drive. The cush drive fits onto 8 studs from the hub, but the studs can't handle the power of the 990. It snaps off. My hub is destroyed and I'm struggling now for 10 weeks and still no answer. The supplier now wants to tell me the chain was to to tight.

The sprocket is also a problem. It fits onto the cush drive with 8 studs into the hub. (no lock nuts) Mine came loose within the first 200km's. Lock tite don't help either. I replaces the studs with bolts with lock nuts. The sprocket is in a worse condition after 3800 km's than the standard sprocket was after 18000 km's.
Ball and Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider
 
ScienceOfDirt's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Snowbelt/Rustbelt of Northeast Ohio
Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball and Chain View Post
It is actually not the rim that gives the problems. It's the combination of rear hub and cush drive. The cush drive fits onto 8 studs from the hub, but the studs can't handle the power of the 990. It snaps off. My hub is destroyed and I'm struggling now for 10 weeks and still no answer. The supplier now wants to tell me the chain was to to tight.

The sprocket is also a problem. It fits onto the cush drive with 8 studs into the hub. (no lock nuts) Mine came loose within the first 200km's. Lock tite don't help either. I replaces the studs with bolts with lock nuts. The sprocket is in a worse condition after 3800 km's than the standard sprocket was after 18000 km's.
10 weeks is long time to wait. I would hope they would want to see you hub to help improve the product. Is there any kind of warranty on these? Let us know how you make out.
__________________
Friend: That was some trail shortcut. Me: Yep. See how fast we got lost.
ScienceOfDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
tmex
Beastly Adventurer
 
tmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
10 weeks is long time to wait. I would hope they would want to see you hub to help improve the product. Is there any kind of warranty on these? Let us know how you make out.
+1

Also, dealing with a tube change is not that big a deal. Not as simple as a plug to be sure, but certainly not worth the price of the alternatives IMO.

My advice would be to get good at dealing with tubes. After all, they are the most reliable and simple solution going if you are heading off road.
__________________
my favorite bike - R1200GS
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #14
Ball and Chain
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Cape Town
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceOfDirt View Post
10 weeks is long time to wait. I would hope they would want to see you hub to help improve the product. Is there any kind of warranty on these? Let us know how you make out.
The supplier sent the wheel back 6 weeks ago. They don't even answer e-mails
Ball and Chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #15
tmex
Beastly Adventurer
 
tmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: NorCal
Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball and Chain View Post
The supplier sent the wheel back 6 weeks ago. They don't even answer e-mails
FWIW, I sent them an email questioning their integrity. I'll let you know if I get a response. There are usually two sides to every story. I want to hear their side. In any case, the product is certainly priced at a premium. Not that that ever stopped me from buying anything.
__________________
my favorite bike - R1200GS
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014