User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2014, 09:34 PM   #1
Mr B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Just put the old girl on a diet!!!

So I was out riding yesterday and hit some really super slick nasty mud,just cutting across a field to go change into some warmer clothes....Totally lost it, the mud went one way the bike another and me well I just rode it out and ate shit!!!! No big deal but felt stupid, as I went to lift the bike back onto her feet, Holy Crap I could hardly lift the fat pig!!! What happened? I know it has been a few months since we went out but DAMN!!!
Eventually got her back on two wheels and headed home, changed clothes, (something warmer) and headed to the bay area to do some picture taking, nothing special just glad to be back in the USA !!
So anyway when I got home I kept thinking how heavy the bike seemed that morning....I mean it has been a while since I had to pick up the bike but never did I have so much trouble.
So today I decided to put her on a diet. I had installed some rear panniers, Wolfman and used H&B racks, Off they came. I mean I seldom ride more then a hundred miles from home and only need the basic tire change tooling..Next I dumped the engine guard, this is my question to anyone.

I installed this back in June of "09, felt it has been a really good investment. I have dropped the bike a few times but nothing serious. (Yes once I managed to completely f&%K up the radiator, but the engine guard was not to blame, just Pilot Error.) So I am wondering if anyone else has decided to go without engine guards. I mostly ride dirt, but nothing to serious, after all the bike weights close to 500 pounds.
Long story but I would be interested to hear anyone else thoughts on engine protection. Pros Cons, whatever

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
I don't think the engine guards will make a big difference in weight. The bike is just damn heavy. My fear of riding without crash bars is not damage to the plastics(because mine are jacked after lots of off road riding), but damage to things under the plastics....like the radiator. So a few pounds more makes me feel better
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
Mr B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I agree the weight itself does not seem like a lot , but when you take it off, my god the bike feels so different. Perhaps it is the addition of the saddle bags, and racks, the engine guards but I would say combine they add almost 50 pounds..
I am going to give it a try, I agree the potential for excessive damage is there! My risk I guess...

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 04-01-2014, 01:48 AM   #4
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,907
maybe it's time for you to get that excessive winter-bacon melting

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:01 AM   #5
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 1,590
The very weight of the bike contributes to damage when it goes down. Your bike does fall over, right? The crash bars work.

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:21 AM   #6
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
Your bike does fall over, right? The crash bars work.

Fred
Any experience here Fred?

Riding off road without crash bars is like grinding without safety glasses. It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye. My old VP of QC had one eye. He also wore loud shoes so as not to have to catch anybody.

You'll see a path and be drawn to it, follow it then find yourself miles from anybody with a busted rad among other things and wishing you had the bars installed.

If you want to easily drop the weight, run it with low fuel all the time.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:24 AM   #7
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Any experience here Fred?
Hush!

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,260
I would leave them on. There is weight and then there is weight. The bar weight is mostley below where I think the center of gravity is on this bike.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:02 AM   #9
mischief
misadventurer

Oddometer: 431
How heavy my bike feels has a lot to do with my state of mind also.
There have been times that I just picked it up and others that I struggled
even with a helper. I have a strap that I attach to the rear subframe and to the crash bars that I can get under to lift it, it helps

Christi
Old 04-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
Mr B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I agree crash bars are beneficial, but they will not save you from everything....That being said I most likely will re-install once I get some basic PM done this week, just amazed how different the bike feels "Naked" so to speak....
Lost this radiator a few years ago, crash bars did not help this time, although I was able to get home over sixty miles, not sure how but it never overheated, think the wooden spike helped prevent it from pissing all the water out...cannot explain it but I made it home that day!!!

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 04-01-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
lookaught
Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 207
Judging by the condition of my engine guards, they are worth keeping installed. I bet my engine guards are 20lbs or more but when the bike is 450 and I am 185 plus whatever else I'm wearing or have with me on the bike... 25lbs isn't making or breaking the agility of the machine.

if you're having trouble lifting the bike, as asshole-ish as it sounds, go do some squats and deadlifts and increase your lifting strength and then go practice lifting the bike with proper "back to bike, squat technique" in grass.

Solo Ride Pennsylvania to Anchorage, Alaska and back 2011

Two Ape supermotos take on the Dragon
lookaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:18 PM   #12
Vandal 62
KCCO

Oddometer: 113
Simple solution.....more time at the gym.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #13
Mr B OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Not saying I couldn't lift the bike, spend too much time in the gym now ...but what surprised me was how heavy she has gotten with the addition of rear panniers and what not.
It also seems I am carrying pretty much everything from my metric tool box!, so that will be slimmed down considerably....I agree dead lift and squats are an essential part of any balanced lifting program and try to ensure I focus on legs more then upper body, but I am still surprised how much crap my bike has grown. Riding it, it does not seem to indicated that I have added over 80 lbs of stuff, but damn....was not ready Sunday morning...
thanks for all the advise just the same....

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Old 04-02-2014, 03:58 AM   #14
Vandal 62
KCCO

Oddometer: 113
Try some good line and a few caribiners. You could rig up a pulley system if there are trees around. No trees? Slap yourself in the face, rage out, grab lift whilst turning purple in the face. A little pooh may come out, its normal. Good luck. Keep calm chive on.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:32 PM   #15
GREWUPIN_D11
GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer: 38
In my experience, handguards do more to protect the sidepanels (and the underlying parts such as the radiator) than do crashbars. Check it out the next time your bike takes a nap. Most likely, handguards and passenger pegs were the first points of contact with the ground.

I bet the majority of catastrophic radiator damage to all BMW F-bikes, without crashbars or with crashbars, is caused by puncture-type events, not impacts from the side. The OP's case is a prime example.
GREWUPIN_D11 is offline   Reply With Quote