User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Oddward OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
TT hard-Part-Radiator

Has anyone installed the TT hard part radiator mount? It looks like a good idea but not sure if it works as it is advertised. The OEM mount is plastic.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddward View Post
Has anyone installed the TT hard part radiator mount? It looks like a good idea but not sure if it works as it is advertised. The OEM mount is plastic.
bought it... installed it.... thought it was a pretty cool little piece... the stock plastic is kinda flimsy... can hurt i think
Old 03-30-2011, 04:39 PM   #3
Oddward OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Have you had the misfortune to test it yet?
Oddward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,605
Yeah...I bought it, early on. Didn't like the looks of those plastic mounts at all. So, I went looking for something to beef it up. This is the only thing I came across. Mounts real easy. Its a nice simple piece. Good addition, I think.

Doesn't really make a hard mount for the radiator, rather just some added support. It'd probably break-away in a ugly hard crash. I was just hoping it provided enough extra support to keep the plastic mounting points from busting. I ride frequently in the rough riding....jumping water bars a lot. I've not spared her much mercy, and its all held up fine. But, I do need to do something about that soft suspension...

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:01 AM   #5
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Chitown is correct. BMW original part is designed to be sacrificial. You can also do their job with cable ties in the field once they break. I asked the opinion of the mechanics at the BMW ORS (they crash their bikes a lot). They told me that this particular hard part would lack the give/flex or sacrificial qualities of the OE one and instead, the shock of the force would be transmitted to the far more expensive/hard to fix radiator in a bad crash.

One of the (very) few TT bits I've regretted buying. Standard part is on my bike. The hard part is sat in my garage, waiting to go on ebay.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Oddward OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was under the impression that the OEM radiator mount sometimes broke under minor crashes and falls leaving the radiator dangling in the wind where the TT mount would hold.

Quote:
In my crash, the $23 plastic mount broke instead of the expensive unrepairable radiator.
Would I be wrong to assume a crash bad enough to break a TT mounted radiator would leave the bike unrideable for more reasons than the radiator? Or is the radiator particularly sensitive?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
IMO it's just another piece of bling from TT that looks good on paper...

I just wish I had thought to charge that much for pieces of sheet metal... Hmmmmm....
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
AdvWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Low speed crashes, high speed crashes part break. Transfer of energy is diverted to more expensive parts! Cheap part $ are easy to fix. Expensive part not.

Physics to cost? Can you afford it when it breaks that is the question?
AdvWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #9
Oddward OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
I won't be changing my setup in the rebuild, if I HAD to ride out from my crash, the bike would have been able to with some zipties and water out of my backpack.
This may warrant a differnt thread ChiTown, but what will be in your setup post rebuild? What would you keep and what would you change?
Old 04-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,453
I dropped the bike on some ice, a very slow speed crash. The plastic tab on the radiator was broken, as I had not gotten the engine crash bars yet. I bought the TT part to hold the radiator in place.

I don't think the TT part is any stronger than the BMW radiator tab.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
I'll probably be starting a thread when I get the bike home to start working on it, still in the planning phase.....
Let's just say I'm not rebuilding a F800 GS, I'm shooting for a F800 SE.
super enduro -ish?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:51 AM   #12
flubbyhog
Gnarly Adventurer

I bought the hard mount also. I viewed it as another piece that BMW could charge for because it was a 'designed that way'. There really is nothing else holding that radiator in place except 2 plastic grommets, hoses and wires for the fan, it really looked like it just flops around and whos to say that something wouldn't give way once that 'breakaway' piece shit the bed?
Old 04-06-2011, 04:51 AM   #13
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by flubbyhog View Post
There really is nothing else holding that radiator in place except 2 plastic grommets, hoses and wires for the fan, it really looked like it just flops around and whos to say that something wouldn't give way once that 'breakaway' piece shit the bed?
Not that I've needed to do it on mine, but on some of the BMW ORS bikes in the UK, the radiators were cable tied into place after the OE part broke. They told me that the cable ties tend to flex a bit better with subsequent hits, so don't replace the plastic bit after it breaks until they sell the bikes on.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 AM   #14
jasonTDI
TDI Guru

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddward View Post
I was under the impression that the OEM radiator mount sometimes broke under minor crashes and falls leaving the radiator dangling in the wind where the TT mount would hold.

Would I be wrong to assume a crash bad enough to break a TT mounted radiator would leave the bike unrideable for more reasons than the radiator? Or is the radiator particularly sensitive?
I've had mine down HARD and I mean throw me 30 feet through the air hard. I have one cracked stock mount and run the H-B crash bars. One of the four sacrificed itself and there has been no issue since. Just left it broken.
jasonTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:09 PM   #15
Oddward OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonTDI View Post
I've had mine down HARD and I mean throw me 30 feet through the air hard. I have one cracked stock mount and run the H-B crash bars. One of the four sacrificed itself and there has been no issue since. Just left it broken.
One of the four radiator mounts?