ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #91
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa_j View Post
Well, everything is running lean and I was having that trouble with boiling over. It looks like this could be lean jetting so I ordered a JDjetting kit. I am going to attempt to install it tomorrow. Hopefully that will at least decrease the over heating problem.

Jude

It prob wont keep it from boiling over but it may help.

I think Doug and I will be going out Sunday possibly around noon depending on the weather.Doug has been wanting me to ride his KLX 450 so I will prob be on an unfamilliar bike on Sunday which means I will prob be riding aot slower.
Brainless_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #92
papa_j OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainless_1 View Post

I think Doug and I will be going out Sunday possibly around noon depending on the weather.Doug has been wanting me to ride his KLX 450 so I will prob be on an unfamilliar bike on Sunday which means I will prob be riding aot slower.

Well I hope it helps. I am going to try the water wetter again and I was considering making a home made coolant reservoir. The forums suggest that a modification to the silencer can also help with overheating. The last ditch effort will be a fan.

Riding a lot slower sounds good to me. In trying to keep up with you last week I clobbered that tree and took a dirt nap. My neck is still sore.
papa_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #93
papa_j OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Let me check with the boss (my wife) and if she is ok with it I would like to join you. I installed that JD Jetting kit and there is a noticeable difference. It got rid of that bog off of first gear and the throttle response has improved. You were right it still boils over easy.

Jude
Old 04-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #94
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

Oddometer: 311
Reading in dirt bike magazine, it says the only way to fix the over heating problem is a fan. Says you can pick one up at a dealer for 139.99. Takes an hour to install. Good stuff supposedly.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #95
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!

Excellent ride today got to ride 36 miles of singletrack on a borrowed bike which was a KLX 450 (Thanks Doug) and Pappa J lived to ride another day. By the way Dougs camera picked up his dirt sample really well you can even see little dirt clods being unearthed and rolling down the hill as his body was digging them up
Old 05-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #96
papa_j OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Excellent ride today got to ride 36 miles of singletrack on a borrowed bike which was a KLX 450 (Thanks Doug) and Pappa J lived to ride another day. By the way Dougs camera picked up his dirt sample really well you can even see little dirt clods being unearthed and rolling down the hill as his body was digging them up
I would have to second that. It was an excellent ride. Sorry gang no pictures today. Today I was just concentrating on keeping up. For those of you who have not ridden with inmate Brainless_1; that man is FAST. He would go from standing still side by side to: 1) Where did he go, 2) I think that is his dust, 3) Those might be his tracks, to 4) I hope he went this way in 45 seconds (seriously no exageration needed). His speed combined with the fact that some of the single track was down right scary made for a very tense ride. I had a blast and learned a lot. Here is the plot of the loop. I cannot wait to see Doug's camera footage.

Photobucket
Old 05-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #97
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!

[QUOTE=pappa_j;15807922] Today I was just concentrating on keeping up. For those of you who have not ridden with inmate Brainless_1; that man is FAST. He would go from standing still side by side to: 1) Where did he go, 2) I think that is his dust, 3) Those might be his tracks, to 4) I hope he went this way in 45 seconds (seriously no exageration needed)./QUOTE]

Above is proof that Pappa J exagerates a wee bit

What did you think about Doug today ? Guy rides damn good when his wheels are on the ground doesnt he?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #98
merickk
Living Folk Tale

Oddometer: 10,532
Quote:
For those of you who have not ridden with inmate Brainless_1; that man is FAST. He would go from standing still side by side to: 1) Where did he go, 2) I think that is his dust, 3) Those might be his tracks, to 4) I hope he went this way in 45 seconds (seriously no exageration needed).
~Pssst, he's over there stuck in the mud....his back tire sure goes FAST though

Divorce Sale
merickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #99
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

No worry I'm sure there will be plenty of that to come from Jude and I. At least Jude knows what turning is.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #100
papa_j OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
What did you think about Doug today ? Guy rides damn good when his wheels are on the ground doesnt he?

Doug is very fast also. I think the only reason that I saw him more than you is that he was taking it easy on me. There were a couple of times he was flipping the back of his motorcycle around and I thought to myself, " How is he doing that AND staying upright". He swooped through that tight technical stuff with ease. He is very skilled and very fast.

I am going to have to find a group of beginner riders to hang out with.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #101
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!

Quote:
Doug is very fast also. I think the only reason that I saw him more than you is that he was taking it easy on me. There were a couple of times he was flipping the back of his motorcycle around and I thought to myself, " How is he doing that AND staying upright". He swooped through that tight technical stuff with ease. He is very skilled and very fast.

I am going to have to find a group of beginner riders to hang out with.

I hope that I can still ride a motorcycle when I get to be that age---Seriously!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #102
zeroblah
Snot nosed kid

Only way to get better is to ride with people that are faster and more skilled than you, gives you something to strive for. Or in my case get my bike running properly and actually ride.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #103
papa_j OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroblah View Post
Only way to get better is to ride with people that are faster and more skilled than you, gives you something to strive for. Or in my case get my bike running properly and actually ride.
The only problem with that statement is that I am old and pain scares me. I am so sore from yesterday I had to have my kid tie my shoes.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #104
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!

Quote:
The only problem with that statement is that I am old and pain scares me. I am so sore from yesterday I had to have my kid tie my shoes.

Just how old are you again?

I believe you were the youngest guy riding in our group yesterday

And Doug has 33 years on you.

Ride more and get a lighter bike that you can fling around better. ----Its like cheating trust me!

Brainless_1 screwed with this post 05-02-2011 at 10:11 PM
Old 05-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #105
papa_j OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Just how old are you again?

I believe you were the youngest guy riding in our group yesterday

And Doug has 33 years on you.
I am old at heart.