Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
RetrogradE OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
All you Wrenches . . .Need Help (ASAFP) on 09 800GS Front Axle reassbembly

Hey fellas,

I removed my wheels so I could put my new Kenda Big Blocks on. When I disassembled everything, I realized I needed new rear brake pads, new rear bearings, etc. But when I went to put everything back together, I royally fu**ed it all up. The rear went on fine but for the LIFE of me I can't figure out how to reassemble the front end.

I went to the dealer to look at other 800GSs but I can't get a clear view. I asked the parts guy and he said there IS no spacer on the right side (sitting on the bike) of the bike, but clearly mine has one.

Here's an exploded view from bike bandit:

http://www.bikebandit.com/2009-bmw-m...8790#sch628736

Anyway, I had to get a new bearing cover (the black disc that covers the bearing) at the dealer, the parts guy told me the spacer on the right side just slides into it.

BUT

I can't get the axle to go all the way in. See the picture here. This is the right side (sitting on the bike); left if you're looking at it:

This is the other side:

Here's what it looks like if I remove the wheel and mock it up with the axle and spacers:

So, the dealer told me the spacer on the left (right side sitting on the bike) should go in with the tapered end toward the wheel, but the schematic on Bike Bandit tells it the opposite way. And a different parts guy told me the 800GS just uses the axle as the spacer.

Anyway, I can't get it to fit either way. So, WTF am I doing wrong? Can one of you guys (that actually know what you're doing) clue me in? If anyone else has an 09 800GS, could you remove your axle and tell me how it goes together?

If you tell me, "hey, you want me to draw you a picture" like a smartass, I'll accept it--both that I'm retarded, AND the offer of the picture.

Thanks.

Steven

PS, here are pictures of the wheel on either side so you can see that I have the bearings covered with the little black gaskets.

RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,681
No spacer on the "outside" on the right.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...8&rnd=03252011

johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
There is no spacer on the right hand side, only the axle. The spacer you have on the right currently, I think goes on the right side, rear axle. The left side looks correct...

Also, I think the seal on the right hand side is to be a smaller diameter than the left to match the axle. (The outside diameter of the axle is less than that of the spacer). You shouldn't be able to fit that spacer into the right hand seal.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,708
Try it without the spacer on the side that you insert the axle from (driver right)....

For example... the side you remove the bolt from the axle (driver left) is NOT the side you remove the axle from. This is the side with the spacer. Note this side has the ABS ring on it:

Here you can see the spacer on the side with the ABS ring (driver left):

The side where the axle comes out of (driver right) does not have a spacer and the axle should sit up against the bearing.

Good luck and don't forget to torque your bolts in the right order!!!

(Axle to 30 Nm then the four retaining bolts to 19 Nm)

Edit: Some peeps posted before me but I get credit for most original (and hopefully helpful) pics :) Oh yeah... and don't forget to check your rear because that looks like a spacer from your rear axle assembly!!!!

EnderTheX screwed with this post 03-31-2011 at 08:09 PM
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,256
Dont feel bad--same thing happened to me. I now have an extra wheel spacer if anyone needs one.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Just for clarification, anytime you talk about the right or left-hand side of the bike it should always be from the riding perspective like when you’re sitting on the bike.

With that in mind, you've got the right rear axle spacer on the right front axle where there should be no spacer.

The spacer on the left front is correct.

If you look at the rear wheel, you probably don't have a spacer on the right side (sprocket side) because it's up on the right front wheel where it shouldn't be.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,
David

Apostolos screwed with this post 03-31-2011 at 09:29 PM
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
RetrogradE OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolos View Post
Just for clarification, anytime you talk about the right or left-hand side of the bike it should always be from the riding perspective like when you’re sitting on the bike.

With that in mind, you've got the right rear axle spacer on the right front axle where there should be no spacer.

The spacer on the left front is correct.

If you look at the rear wheel, you probably don't have a spacer on the right side (sprocket side) because it's up on the right front wheel where it shouldn't be.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,
David
Yeah.

I took it to the dealer this morning. That was it.

Thanks for the info.

RetrogradE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post
Dont feel bad--same thing happened to me. I now have an extra wheel spacer if anyone needs one.
Please tell me your kidding
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

I had heard manufacturers using the tried and true method of using "interchangeable parts" on their manufacturing line... but parts that reproduce and flourish are new to me, must be some special BMW nano technology
Old 04-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #10
trizzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post

what is that brand of wrench/tirespoon(is it a spoon too?)
trizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
Please tell me your kidding
I wish I could. I am, admittedly, not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to mechanical stuff. I changed the tire myself on my front wheel and got interrupted before I could re-mount the wheel on the bike. I figured the front wheel had the same configuration as the rear wheel, i.e. two spacers, one on each side. When I couldn't find the second spacer I assumed I had somehow lost it and ordered another--it turned out to be the only one in NA. When I mounted things back up is when I noticed my boneheaded mistake.

Ergo, I now have an extra spacer if anyone needs one.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #12
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzo View Post
what is that brand of wrench/tirespoon(is it a spoon too?)
Not a spoon... strange... I had to go look at it to remember where I got it. I must have been browsing some site like cyclegear and thought it was cool. It is from Fredette Racing Products, has the size for front and rear axles, very sturdy, easy to kick, 6 point, compact.

For spoons I use the motion pro spoons. They are absolutely fantastic, I have two sets (4 total) for changing tires at home but I only carry one set on the road.

I realize they are really heavy compared to what you could use but they are quite nice when you need to change a tire. I am considering going to lighter tools like a combo aluminum (or titanium ) spoon/wrench.

Doin the Peach for fun in west Texas