Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
nelly17 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Cross-country on an08 Suzuki SV650N and an 07 BMW F650GS. Pics included.

Hello. After my last successful trip to Texas and back two months ago, I decided that I want to try a longer trip. I figure out my route and confirmed a few places to stay via the ADV tent space map which is awesome. Everyone who took us in was super accommodating and kind. My friend had a few weeks off (teacher) and decided to come with. He is riding an 07 BMW F650GS that is fully farkled. Im on my 08 SV650N outfitted for touring.

Here is the setup for the bike...
National Cycle Street shield
Custom Lexan windscreen extender (pics below)
Sargent seat
Alaska Leather sheepskin seat cover (the best upgrade yet)
Generic Foam Stadium seat pad (Second best upgrade. It was only $5 too!)
Pro-taper (CR High) handlebars
Buell pegs
Mototrek Motocentric saddlebags from motorcyclesuperstore
Bass Pro Shops 20L dry bag
Bass Pro Extreme Boat bag
12v outlet
Generic phone clamp

Here are the details of the route:
We're heading to LA, San Fran, Reno, Vegas and then home.

Day 1 - Orlando To Lake Charles, LA - ~843 miles. We left Orlando at 5 AM and arrived in Lake Charles at 7:15 PM which impressed the hell out of me. We stayed at a guys scuba shop/pool. He had showers and an indoor bike storage area for us all set up.

Day 2 - Lake Charles to El Paso - 920 miles. We setup a place to stay in El Paso with another ADV rider. 920 miles seemed impossible but my friend wasnt worried as he has completed 2-3 iron butts (1000 miles in a day). We arrived in El Paso and were welcomed with hot food and beer.

Day 3 - El Paso to L.A. was planned but my negligence of chain before leaving was about to bite me in the ass. We pulled into Phoenix a lil later than expected (4PM) due to our slowed pace. I couldnt find any shops that would get us in time but I went to cycle gear and bought a chain anyway. Luckily, a guy rode up as we were leaving and invited us to his house to use his tools and hydrate us. He had some cool stuff too. It was 100+ degrees all day so we were pretty beat.

Day 4 - Phoenix to L.A. 430 miles. The damn heat was killing us right away. This was by far the toughest leg so far. 100+ degrees and nothing to look at other than windmills. This leg was fulfilling though as we crossed into CA. It finally hit us that we rode all the way from FL to CA. When we got into LA, we rode straight up to the Griffith Observatory. After the Griffith Observatory, we rode over to my old roommates house in Echo Park.

I stopped by my favorite shop to have a coffee and admire the best cafe bikes in the world. Dues Ex Machina in Venice Beach. I also met the builder of these works of art, Michael Woolway (Woolie). He took me in the shop and showed me around which was awesome.

I had a paintball tournament in Riverside that weekend so I had to ride over there the next day to meet with the team and get into paintball mode. More pics on the next post
nelly17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #2
nelly17 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
After getting the snot beat out of us in the tournament, it was time to head to San Fran. I stopped by the Santa Monica Beach Pier before I left to have a coffee. I decided to start the route on the PCH.

Then I started on the PCH and it was definitely the prettiest ride Ive ever been on in my life.

After battling the wind all day. I made it to SF at my best friends apt.

The next day...

Next stop, Reno, where I'm from. First we had to stop at a staple of childhood, Ikedas in Auburn, CA.

My friends BMW started to develop a lil issue with the front end so we stopped at Sierra BMW to get it fixed. They took all day to replace the front inner tube and change the oil. I was very frustrated by the temptation to trade in my bike and ride home on a new f800 gs. I survived though.

Next stop, Vegas. We started around 10:30 AM given the shorter ride planned. We started noticing dust trails off in the distance and after going a little further we realized that there was a desert/baja race taking place that day. It was the Vegas-to-Reno BITD. It made the boring desert trek fly by but our frequent stops were eating up time so we had to pick up the pace.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...59024175743139

Our pace (95mph) in the evening cost us dearly though. My friends BMW overheated and blew a water pump seal. The dealer in Vegas does not have the part and will not get it in time. This ended his trip as he now has to sell the bike here in Vegas and fly home due to his teaching schedule.
Vegas:

I have to ride from Vegas to Orlando by myself. Stay tuned for more details and pictures.
nelly17 is offline   Reply With Quote