User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #1516
stereo john
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
addendum

I forgot, you gotta go back and airbrush the pix of me on the ride and make me skinny and take the dents and bad paint outta the tundra. I gotta LOOK cool, dude. Surely photoshop will work miracles, eh? Big John
stereo john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #1517
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
Nothing more to do at work.

The end? Damn!!

Bra-f'in-O. Too much fun!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #1518
Spigma
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Small world

At first it was interesting that you stopped in Eugene, then I thought I recognized that CNC plasma cutter, then I just knew I'd seen that powder coat cabinet before.

I've known Mike for quite awhile, been a few since I've seen him. He used to have this crazy Subaru XT6 lifted on a Toyota frame. We did an offroad run about five years ago. Dude is a genius with those two CNC machines. Glad he's doing well.

Keep on keepin on Al, regards.
Spigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #1519
pacmktg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Al,

I cannot wait to see where you take us next. Thanks for sharing.

Bob
pacmktg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #1520
beachdancer
Beachdancer

Oddometer: 53
Cougar

Done - good luck.

My Dad used to have a Cougar GT - quite a sleeper.
beachdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #1521
Lunatic
Dan Keyhoety

Oddometer: 609
Home

Alex'

Glad you made it home in one piece amigo !!!

Ciao , Dan

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid that it will never start.

Arrogance is the anesthesia that dulls the pain of stupidity
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #1522
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,299
Passed thru OC

Had no idea round 2 had already happened. Offered up a place in OC, but I can relate to hitching a ride thru LA traffic. Glad to read the trailer is working. I can't picture it, but okay. Just to make sure I'm following the right thread on your latest adventures, is this it?

BTW, I shared this thread with my peops as they just finished a cruise ship adventure around the tip of South America. It really put into perspective your accomplishment.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #1523
rjmorel
Dual Sporticus

Oddometer: 282
Alex, great ride reports and pics. Can't remember if you had any rain along the way but did you get any water into the Action Packer tub or was it pretty water proof? I'm working on a similar trailer to pull behind my Versys and was wondering how water proof they were. Thanks, rj
2012 Honda NC700x (Dual Sporticus) shaken ,not stirred
rjmorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #1524
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 844
Replies

Quote:
Epic1718: Glad ya made it home safe Alex! The EBC oversized rotor/mount and a CS Clip are in transit to you right now, hope ya enjoy them on your farkled beast.

Epic1718, Iíve got the rotor installed now, and the bike is looking even better! Thanks for the deal!

Quote:
The Doctor: Awesome RR. Why do I feel like I've accomplished something just by reading this far? I just sat here reading...
Alex, if you are thinking of going to the Desert 100, let me know. Drinks are on us. Thanks for sharing the photos and spending all that time writing. I was riding in Alaska in August and stopped writing after about three days.

Mr. Doctor, After conglomerating my entire ride report, it is over 400 microsoft word documents pages in length. You have read a full featured book. You DID accomplish something! I donít know much about the Desert 100 except that my friends Dad rode it last year and had a grand time of it. Thatís enough to peak my interest, so Iíll have to keep my eye on it. Thanks for reading, and following along.

Quote:
Foot Dragger: Looks like a good time you've been having,Ive got more than a few RMX/ RM250 ft ends here,forks,wheels,axles,brakes,etc.
41mm forks,46mm forks, one set of just the forks no triples,49mm.

Hello again Foot Dragger, Iíll have to keep that in mind when I get around to it. Iím sure Iíll be the test subject, and then Tom will follow in my footsteps. Iíll be sure to let you know!

Quote:
IceCreamSoldier: so round one of the scars and screws cruise is complete. 'very Happy you're in one piece and "Not Wanted" in any of our fellow American court systems. What a story you've shared. I suggest that when you read back through your report you keep a separate journal of thoughts/feelings you had at the time as well as now that that incident is behind you. What did you learn, what did you change, what was the best outcome that you hoped for. You've got the bones of a pretty good book in place already. Looking forward to our paths crossing someday.

Mr. Soldier, Round One is complete. I do have one decent scar, and a multitude of screws, but my leg feels good, and the scar is already fading. Life is good. Iíll keep in mind a second journal to write in (word document most likely). Combined past and present perspectives make for an even more novel perspective on things. Good idea. I too look forward to crossing paths one day. Sorry to have missed you on the way north.

Quote:
Stereo John:back in Longview and heading South
I keep looking in the rear-view and wondering why that yellow-tanked moto is not on my ass anymore. Brutal one day trip, eh? Made it to Longview, Seattle and Blaine to visit and look at holes in the water. Currently in love with one (I hate it when that happens!) and heading home to see if I can sell a kidney or something to buy it. Glad you made it home safe and sound. My RainX is still slick, but even with that the wipers haven't stopped much since I left your skinny ass with Mike at VooDoo. Still trying to get over that bacon maple bar. I find myself wanting to chase zombies and look for bigfoot. I'm sure it's that damn pastry..... Your new red ride looks dry! Too much iced tea with dinner is causing a brief sleepless spell here, but I'm going back to my borrowed bed soon to prepare for the 1100 miles of 4 wheeling it on the slab back to the casa. Have a blast preparing for Africa, and check on us folks in san dog once in a while. Enjoyed your visit and the drive up. Stay cool dude. addendum I forgot, you gotta go back and airbrush the pix of me on the ride and make me skinny and take the dents and bad paint outta the tundra. I gotta LOOK cool, dude. Surely photoshop will work miracles, eh? Big John

Amigo John, I had a great time at your house, it is a very relaxed and comfortable environment. I took away some great ideas for the day I ever have the urge to have a house of my own! I donít have the photoshop skills to airbrush dents and dings, or make people skinnyÖ I only know how to make real good fake motorcycle titles for illegal transfer of motorcycles in foreign countriesÖ One day, Iíll make it back to VooDoo donuts and eat a second maple bar, and then third in your honor. They werenít bad! By now you are likely back in ďSan DogĒ. With all this rain Iíve seen in the past four days, I wonít have a problem staying cool. Keep it real, and keep me posted if you end up the proud owner of one of those holes in the water!

Quote:
Grin CR: Nothing more to do at work. The end? Damn!!Bra-f'in-O. Too much fun!
Iím sorry man! Iíll try to get on with the second journey sooner than later!

Quote:
Spigma: Small world
At first it was interesting that you stopped in Eugene, then I thought I recognized that CNC plasma cutter, then I just knew I'd seen that powder coat cabinet before.
I've known Mike for quite awhile, been a few since I've seen him. He used to have this crazy Subaru XT6 lifted on a Toyota frame. We did an offroad run about five years ago. Dude is a genius with those two CNC machines. Glad he's doing well.
Keep on keepin on Al, regards.

Hey Spigma! Mike is the proud father of one son, married, and the soon to be father of a second child. He seems to be doing well to me! Heís working on a gigantic lifted Geo Tracker with some sort of big ass motor in itÖ Looked impressive to me! Thanks for the positive wishes!
Quote:
Pacmktg: Al, I cannot wait to see where you take us next. Thanks for sharing. Bob
Hey Bob. Thanks for following along, and/or reading the ride report. I appreciate it! I canít wait to see where I take myself next either!

Quote:
Lunatic: Alex, Glad you made it home in one piece amigo !!! Ciao , Dan
Hey Dan, thanks for your hospitality in Las Cruces, I had a great time there! Thanks for following along, and make sure to send me a link when you finally get around to writing that Thailand story!

Quote:
RZ Rob Passed thru OC, Had no idea round 2 had already happened. Offered up a place in OC, but I can relate to hitching a ride thru LA traffic. Glad to read the trailer is working. I can't picture it, but okay. Just to make sure I'm following the right thread on your latest adventures, is this it?

BTW, I shared this thread with my peops as they just finished a cruise ship adventure around the tip of South America. It really put into perspective your accomplishment.

I did get your offer to stay in OC, but as you said, I found a faster way north! The trailer is a novel idea. All told without any gear it weighs 37lbs. Load it up, and you have maybe close to 100lbs in it. Anyone of us could give a 100lb kid a ride on the back of a DR650 right? Well, the trailer is even better! Itís bitchin.

Thanks for sharing the ride report with your peops. A cruise sounds niceÖ J

Quote:
rjmorel Alex, great ride reports and pics. Can't remember if you had any rain along the way but did you get any water into the Action Packer tub or was it pretty water proof? I'm working on a similar trailer to pull behind my Versys and was wondering how water proof they were. Thanks, rj
Hey RJ, thanks for the compliments. As for rain along the way, I had about 450 miles of mild rain out of the 3300 miles I rode. The action packer tubs are NOT completely waterproof. However, that being said, I never had any water leak into the interior of the action packer. If you are looking for a great, cheap, and size accommodating box for a trailer to pull behind your bike, the action packer series are great. They are also very lightweight.

Soon to come, a small follow up. Tom has his bike back.

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #1525
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Home Sweet Home

I sit here now, in the kitchen of my parents house, typing away, eating food that I pulled out of their fridge, using their wifi. It is awesome. My ďnew to meĒ DR650 is kicking ass and taking names, and Tom is back on the road as well. We have since collected his motorcycle, removed and cleaned the carburetor, put fresh gas in it, tuned it up, and hit the road for a 30 mile test ride. It performed like normal. Except for the busted tail light housing that we noticed, everything is still in good order and his service in Chile was a well played decision as his bike came home looking as close to new as heíll ever see it again.

Tom got to see his bike again, and by the time we had it loading it in the back of the truck he had spent nearly 100% more money that he was initially quoted, and had to cover his disgust with the shipping company with his mild elation of having the worldís most expensive DR650 in the back of my Dadís F250 Pickup.

His bike surprised me. Having ridden the whole trip with a deteriorating motorcycle, it was unexpected (to me at least) to see his bike look so nice in comparison to what I remembered mine looking like!

The receiving end of the shipping transaction wanted $50 for disposal of the crate and garbage, so we hauled it away ourselves. Turns out the metal was worth $19 in scrap, and cardboard burns wellÖ

His bike secure, we hit the road back to my parents house.

Back at the house we tore into Tomís bike, and seriously cleaned his carb.

And the next day we took it out into the woods for a test ride. Bitchin.

Life is good. Keep it real guys.

--Alex
Old 02-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #1526
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,174
Nice to see Tom and his bike reunited !

Is it still running the mod-fixed ignition done by the Panamanian genius ?
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:28 PM   #1527
Panamericans
Adventurer

Man, everybody's home! It is a little miraculous that all of the people and bikes we met along the way survived. It's even more amazing that you have already taken another trip since SA, and that you're talking about a third! Hopefully we can all hit Alaska in the next year or two...but Africa will probably be up to you...

I was trying to figure out how Tom's bike looks so much nicer than yours did...was it because he uses his with the wheel side toward the ground?! I don't know though; with as much time as you spent between your bike and the pavement you'd think you might have spared it some wear...

I need to trade shipping stories with Tom; ours was easy, fast, rough and absurdly expensive. They charged us $2400 to bash some good dents in the top box, bend the bar ends and knock most of the paint off of the front fender...so in short, they damaged it more flying it 6,000 miles than I did riding it 20,000... and I paid dearly for the privilege.I hope Tom fared better...

Watch the mail in the coming weeks, I'm sending you and Tom invites for a trip to another exotic location...
Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #1528
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post

And the next day we took it out into the woods for a test ride. Bitchin.

Life is good. Keep it real guys.

--Alex
Alex, what did you think of the trailer off road?? Great to see you out riding. I finally got some decent gear, I didn't spring for the really cool shit like your pants, just some decent stuff. Much better than my old offroad stuff though!!

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #1529
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
Nice to see Tom and his bike reunited !

Is it still running the mod-fixed ignition done by the Panamanian genius ?
Hell Yes it is! Tom's bike is running well and riding the wave of prosperity that it has enjoyed since arriving in the USA. Mainly, it is now stored in a garage rather than a crate! Also, it was the stator coil pickup that the Panamanian Genius repaired. It was not the ignition that proved to be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamericans View Post
Man, everybody's home! It is a little miraculous that all of the people and bikes we met along the way survived. It's even more amazing that you have already taken another trip since SA, and that you're talking about a third! Hopefully we can all hit Alaska in the next year or two...but Africa will probably be up to you...

I was trying to figure out how Tom's bike looks so much nicer than yours did...was it because he uses his with the wheel side toward the ground?! I don't know though; with as much time as you spent between your bike and the pavement you'd think you might have spared it some wear...

I need to trade shipping stories with Tom; ours was easy, fast, rough and absurdly expensive. They charged us $2400 to bash some good dents in the top box, bend the bar ends and knock most of the paint off of the front fender...so in short, they damaged it more flying it 6,000 miles than I did riding it 20,000... and I paid dearly for the privilege.I hope Tom fared better...

Watch the mail in the coming weeks, I'm sending you and Tom invites for a trip to another exotic location...
Yo Ty! My second trip, just over 3k miles, was more of a chore than it was a "free" time; at least as far as the riding was concerned. Staying at ADV'ers homes was awesome. Kristi really wants to see Africa, and her enthusiasm gives me something to work off of. At this point, I just need to work for a year!

The last photos of my bike still make it look bad ass. I think my minds eye perceives it to be more "bad ass" than my current bike, because it weathered the storm I put it through so well. That, and it was all Black in color, which was cool.

Tom paid JUST UNDER $2,500 dollars for the privilege of having his bike in the USA. His was a pain in the ass, slow, mostly benevolent vs. rough, and still absurdly expensive. His bike arrived in the US in much the same shape as it left Valparaiso, Chile, except for a now slightly off centered plastic front fender.(Courtesy of being bent against the crate for over a month). I'd be willing to say that Tom, in hindsight, would have rather his bike wore some damage than have been subjected to the price hikes, time delays, and misinformation he experienced. His initial quote was $1250. When the bike was crated, it was then "Sorry, the price is now $1650". When it arrived in the USA, it was, "You have to pay these fees, totaling $650" (Now $2300). And when it was time to pay customs entry fees, he shelled out another $150. For a total of $2,450, not to mention the $50 in diesel fuel fed to my Dad's pickup we used to go get it. He was reasonably peeved in the end, but has since chalked it up to a learning experience, and written it off.

I'll keep an eye on the mail box, I don't know how I'll get there, but I WILL get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBracket View Post
Alex, what did you think of the trailer off road?? Great to see you out riding. I finally got some decent gear, I didn't spring for the really cool shit like your pants, just some decent stuff. Much better than my old offroad stuff though!!
Good to hear that you got some new gear amigo. It'll definitely help you enjoy the dualsport'ing activity much more! My pant's are only great in the rain anyway, and I'll be looking for some more warm weather oriented pants when the weather picks up. The trailer, off the road, did well. I only his some dirt roads, and gravel. Nothing else too intense, so it was nothing unusual. Like always though, I had no qualms with it, an I was happy to hitch it up before the ride, toss my tools in,and take off. It still had my tent, sleeping pad and sleeping bag in it as well!

--Alex
Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #1530
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,976
BigAL, just a tip on the Actionpacker, don't let anything metal with sharp edges rest direct on the plastic (like allen wrenches or pliers) and rub/vibrate for long as it'll wear a hole, the plastic is not all that thick. I think one of them trailers would look good behind my KLR