Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #1546
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Sorry, but that trailer was 100% awesome.

I really love the space, the matching spare wheel, and the two slots for spare tires. It appears to be a neat idea.

Al, if you simply took the system you have on your trailer, swapped it out with a spare rear wheel from your bike, and made a rack in the center that could mount four pelicans you would basically have the same thing. Heck just making the rack in the middle would suffice.

I think the two nice things about this concept are the matching wheel you can take if you want to, and the simple fact that you can take off some of the panniers and put them on your bike. IE if you wanted to drop the trailer for a light load, but keep a couple things with you...

Well, interesting concept.

By the way, how much is the Motomule? It is freaking impossible to find the dang prices on the web page.

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #1547
fizzerfz1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
By the way, how much is the Motomule? It is freaking impossible to find the dang prices on the web page.
http://www.moto-mule.com/trailerbuy.html

Approximately for $850 you get the trailer, fender, tube & extra tire...
Old 02-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #1548
stereo john
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
hole in the water

Yo dude. I'm flying up to SeaTac on Wednesday and staying with friends. We're gonna have the boat hauled and surveyed in Blaine on Friday. You ought to come up and see what 38,000 pounds of angry steel looks like. Makes my GS look tiny. How's 'Altered Carbon' coming? you hooked on Taksh Kovacs yet?
stereo john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #1549
Straightedge
Skin Donor

Oddometer: 32
Amazing Times...

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Here's to future rides, stories, and pics of food!
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all.
-Helen Adams Keller
Straightedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #1550
Backoutonthehighway
Blame it on my 80HD

Oddometer: 605
The one photo that seems to sum it up...

Big Al,

Thanks for a great RR! From another member of the NESA: Well done on keeping your attitude and your spirit of adventure on this trip despite the setbacks. I thought that this photo best summed up your whole trip.

Looking forward to reading of your next adventure. Look me up when you are in the Bay Area!
Backoutonthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #1551
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Yo StereoJohn

Hey man, that sounds awesome. I'm obviously in the area, and I have been meaning to make it up the the nether regions of WA to visit some people for a while now. I have your phone number, so I'll send you text here pretty soon.

I think it would be pretty dang cool to see a 19ton boat in the air. It'll make any bike look small. Altered carbon is sitting on my shelf and waiting to be returned to you. If I make it to Blaine, I'll be sure to bring it. Takeshi Kovacs is awesome.

--Alex

Quote:
Hole in the water
Yo dude. I'm flying up to SeaTac on Wednesday and staying with friends. We're gonna have the boat hauled and surveyed in Blaine on Friday. You ought to come up and see what 38,000 pounds of angry steel looks like. Makes my GS look tiny. How's 'Altered Carbon' coming? you hooked on Taksh Kovacs yet?
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #1552
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Hey there. EAGLE SCOUT! Thanks for the compliments, and for reading the ride report. I had a great time reading it.

That photo sure does represent a good portion of my trip... "Stuck in the mud."

I'm looking forward to being able to write the next adventure. I'll look you up if I get to the Bay Area.

Thanks again!

--Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backoutonthehighway View Post
Big Al,Thanks for a great RR! From another member of the NESA: Well done on keeping your attitude and your spirit of adventure on this trip despite the setbacks. I thought that this photo best summed up your whole trip.
Looking forward to reading of your next adventure. Look me up when you are in the Bay Area!
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #1553
Backoutonthehighway
Blame it on my 80HD

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post
Hey there. EAGLE SCOUT! Thanks for the compliments, and for reading the ride report. I had a great time reading it.

That photo sure does represent a good portion of my trip... "Stuck in the mud."

I'm looking forward to being able to write the next adventure. I'll look you up if I get to the Bay Area.

Thanks again!

--Alex
Well now Alex, I was thinking more along the lines of "I've been down, but I now I'm out and on to the next adventure!"

Will look forward to seeing you down here.

Stay Prepared!
Backoutonthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #1554
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post
Tom paid JUST UNDER $2,500 dollars for the privilege of having his bike in the USA. His was a pain in the ass, slow, mostly benevolent vs. rough, and still absurdly expensive. His bike arrived in the US in much the same shape as it left Valparaiso, Chile, except for a now slightly off centered plastic front fender.(Courtesy of being bent against the crate for over a month). I'd be willing to say that Tom, in hindsight, would have rather his bike wore some damage than have been subjected to the price hikes, time delays, and misinformation he experienced. His initial quote was $1250. When the bike was crated, it was then "Sorry, the price is now $1650". When it arrived in the USA, it was, "You have to pay these fees, totaling $650" (Now $2300). And when it was time to pay customs entry fees, he shelled out another $150. For a total of $2,450, not to mention the $50 in diesel fuel fed to my Dad's pickup we used to go get it. He was reasonably peeved in the end, but has since chalked it up to a learning experience, and written it off.
--Alex
You did the right thing selling off your bike rather than shipping. $2500 is pushing up on what Tom's bike is worth. Should have sold it off like you did.

I'm the guy who sent the DR shock to his Mom and onto Chile. I hope it did OK (we all know the DR shock is not great ... but better than nothing!! )

Only way to rationalize it for Tom: It's running well and I imagine he knows it fairly well. So an educational experience? The more riding fun he gets out of it in future, the further away the shipping nightmare fiasco will fade.
The few bucks squandered will become a dim memory!

I've seen these shipping nightmares over and over. I always try to warn travelers. You know when even the "experts" get burned that it ain't a smooth or easy deal. Motoqueros are sitting ducks for the guys in the Cargo racket; everybody gets a shot at you.

I try to advise Euro guys and Aussies coming over to start a S. America trip in AK (AK to Ushuaia) NOT to ship their bikes here or to S. America. So many disaster stories, huge delays and massive waste of limited travel funds and TIME.

Buying the bike here ... sell it off down South .... that should be the Mantra.

Good luck with future travel.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #1555
71tr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Wise words on the ride & sell vs ride & fly debate. Maybe I missed it but did Alex ever give us a rundown on his selling experience in Argentina/Uruguay?
71tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:04 AM   #1556
stereo john
Adventurer

Blaine trip

Dude. You have my cell #. I'll be at the Semiahmoo marina before 9am friday. Very soon after, we'll motor the boat to a marina in Blaine. Bring a big frackin' butterfly net, in case I go crazy and actually BUY the damn thing. Smelling salts would be a good idea, too. Screw it, just bring bourbon.

Big John
Old 02-29-2012, 03:07 AM   #1557
stereo john
Adventurer

addendum

not taking a 'puter, so you'll have to call....
Old 02-29-2012, 03:37 AM   #1558
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71tr View Post
Maybe I missed it but did Alex ever give us a rundown on his selling experience in Argentina/Uruguay?
Yes.
Proud to have ridden all 50 US States. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #1559
CatNeville
Scorpiogirl

Oddometer: 33
Great-great-great thread!!!

Yours was the second book-lenght RR that I've read here, it's AWESOME!
You have a fantastic humour, and good POV, I loved how you took the ups and downs.
Huge thanks for the past several days of evening pasttime

Say hello to Kristi as well, she's amazing, you two really a good match!

Can't wait the next "ONWARDS!"
Old 02-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #1560
Lee C
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNeville View Post
Yours was the second book-lenght RR that I've read here, it's AWESOME!
You have a fantastic humour, and good POV, I loved how you took the ups and downs.
Huge thanks for the past several days of evening pasttime

Say hello to Kristi as well, she's amazing, you two really a good match!

Can't wait the next "ONWARDS!"
I agree never ever lose that outlook on Life that you are lucky to have
Lee C is online now   Reply With Quote