Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #1561
2-Skinny
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Amazing story Al! Definitely book-worthy. From a fellow Eagle Scout here, I can appreciate your preparation, preparedness and ingenuity. Keep it up and if you ever need a place to wrench while passing through Sacramento I can oblige...
2-Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #1562
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Hey CatNeville! Thanks for reading the "book". I agree that it's awesome too! Thanks for the compliments as well, they are always appreciated. Kristi says hello back, and thanks, and of course we are (a good match)
Any future exploits will come to the ADVcommunity first, until then the next "ONWARD" is postponed. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNeville View Post
Yours was the second book-lenght RR that I've read here, it's AWESOME! You have a fantastic humour, and good POV, I loved how you took the ups and downs.
Huge thanks for the past several days of evening pasttime Say hello to Kristi as well, she's amazing, you two really a good match! Can't wait the next "ONWARDS!"
Thanks Lee C, you don't have to worry about a think, I won't lose the outlook on life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee C View Post
I agree never ever lose that outlook on Life that you are lucky to have

Hey 2-Skinny: Another Eagle Scout comes out of the ether of the internet. And your first post on my ride report as well! Should I be in the Sacramento area again, I'll try to keep you in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Skinny View Post
Amazing story Al! Definitely book-worthy. From a fellow Eagle Scout here, I can appreciate your preparation, preparedness and ingenuity. Keep it up and if you ever need a place to wrench while passing through Sacramento I can oblige...
Thanks again everyone!

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #1563
Motojon76
Dirty side down

Oddometer: 47
Al...YOU'RE THE MAN!

I came to ADV to read a review of a Husky I was about to buy and after reading on up the whole community (and the Husky I decided not to buy) I decided to read your ridiculously LONG RR. I love it!

Since I became an ADV reader I have decided to sell my computer store, most all of my personal "crap" and head out on the road for a least a year. I don't speak Spanish so I'm staying inside CONUS but, this IS going to happen. I'm turning 36 on Monday and already have lived a lot of good and bad and it's now time to LIVE for awhile.

Your story has inspired me to think positively and to record my journey as you have so that others can share on my travels. I'm scouring for a DR650 now (because it fits the purpose, not because I'm a copy cat ) and I hope to be set up and ready to go in a few months.

It's time I take some time for me.
Motojon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #1564
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,312
Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motojon76 View Post
Al...YOU'RE THE MAN!

I came to ADV to read a review of a Husky I was about to buy and after reading on up the whole community (and the Husky I decided not to buy) I decided to read your ridiculously LONG RR. I love it!

Since I became an ADV reader I have decided to sell my computer store, most all of my personal "crap" and head out on the road for a least a year. I don't speak Spanish so I'm staying inside CONUS but, this IS going to happen. I'm turning 36 on Monday and already have lived a lot of good and bad and it's now time to LIVE for awhile.

Your story has inspired me to think positively and to record my journey as you have so that others can share on my travels. I'm scouring for a DR650 now (because it fits the purpose, not because I'm a copy cat ) and I hope to be set up and ready to go in a few months.

Good luck finding a good DR and on your travels.
Make sure you do a RR and take pics, then send me the link!
If you make it to the Philly area, stop by!!!
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #1565
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

MotoJon76!

YOU'RE THE MAN!

Well, I am glad you have found your way over to ADVrider simply so you can experience the awesomeness of it! Thanks for reading my ride report!

Lots of my traveling friends and people I met along the route didn't speak a lick of Spanish and yet some of them STARTED in Central and South America. Don't let your lack of a second language deter you from traveling further south. At any rate, "at least a year" will be awesome in the US. We've got a big country to explore!

Where are you located? Good luck on your search for a DR650. I just bought one VERY well set up in Alabama and rode it home. I'm glad I have it.

Keep kicking ass and taking names. You are on your way!

--Alex

Quote:
Al...YOU'RE THE MAN!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #1566
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Your money will go a lot further down South ... not to mention the experience. I love traveling the US ... but the homogeneity gets old and the costs are high unless you camp. Weather limits too, its Beach Weather in Mexico right now! No worries on learning Spanish. Good schools for travelers are all over Latin America. Many ADV'ers have studied in Southern Mexico, Antigua, Guatemala and more. I highly recommend reading Crashmaster's Ride Report. He's a pro traveler, studied Spanish in
Guatemala. One of the best Ride Reports on ADV.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=fumar

Quote:
As Alex has proved ... the DR650 is a great choice as a travel bike. Rugged, simple and affordable. Bling and show bikes have no place on the road. A well set up DR650 will stun you with just how good it is. I'm on my 3rd one, its at 45K miles. It's been all around Mexico and the USA and never missed a beat. Highly UNDER RATED bike. Enjoy ... and ride safe.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #1567
Motojon76
Dirty side down

Oddometer: 47
WOW!

Not meaning to hijack your thread Alex but I have to thank you guys for your support and I haven't even gotten the bike yet.

I don't know if anyone will be interest but I may start my RR before I ever get the bike. Maybe some people will want to kind of "see it from the beginning". I'm not sure anyone has ever done a RR like that before.

I've thought about getting a Spanish learning program and on the way across the southern U.S. just because I think it would be cool to hit C.A. and S.A. too.

I doubt I'll have more than $20k (likely less) when I leave so camping isn't an option, it's a requirement.
Motojon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #1568
oldtrucks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
I started reading about 2 weeks ago, just a few few pages each sitting as time permitted, finally made it to the end today!

WOW! I feel like I just read the ADV version of Forrest Gump.

Thanks for sharing the experience, pictures, and friends.
oldtrucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #1569
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
I don't know if anyone will be interest but I may start my RR before I ever get the bike. Maybe some people will want to kind of "see it from the beginning". I'm not sure anyone has ever done a RR like that before.
Yes ... too many have. I find them very boring. I would suggest starting a thread in Trip Planning during your prep time. Then, once you leave the country or leave home ... then start a Ride Report. OR ... if it's about prepping the bike ... start a "BUILD" thread in the Thumpers forum. These get lots of attention and help.

Quote:
I doubt I'll have more than $20k (likely less) when I leave so camping isn't an option, it's a requirement.
In the USA, for sure. Camping. But ask Alex about camping in South America or Cent. America. In my experience ... it's not great ... save S. Chile and Argentina. Good news is Motels are cheap.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #1570
Footprint
Rat race Dreamer

Oddometer: 2,885
Quote:
Al...YOU'RE THE MAN!

Welcome n00b, now go get me a scotch....

Bike, gear, plan (or lack of one) and tent list!! http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538543

Ps. look in flea market for your new bike.

"If you sit around waiting for death to take you, you will miss life. Die living life to the fullest, don't live dying!" -patient
Footprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #1571
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Wooo!

You made it to the end. Thanks for kicking ass man! This is the first time I've had the awesome comparison to Forrest Gump. Thanks! Keep it real!

--Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrucks View Post
I started reading about 2 weeks ago, just a few few pages each sitting as time permitted, finally made it to the end today!

WOW! I feel like I just read the ADV version of Forrest Gump.

Thanks for sharing the experience, pictures, and friends.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:54 PM   #1572
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Al,

Did you ever try out couch surfing?

I had a couple stay with me (ADVers) who were passing through from Canada on the way down towards South America. Anyhow they did the couchsurfing a lot, but I thought I would ask your opinion of it. Also why/why not?

Cheers

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:18 AM   #1573
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Theoretically...

I couch surfed across the USA from Alabama to San Diego via ADV....

As for actually utilizing the website / couch surfing community, I haven't done much myself. I am a member, and have responded to a few couchsurfing requests and nearly hosted a guy once, but haven't gone through the process to actually stay with anyone.

Couchsurfing is pretty much worldwide at this point, at least in as much as developing nations are concerned. Many people that I met (backpackers) on my adventure had experience with Couch Surfing and/or had done it a couple times.

I met a pair of Germans (a couple) that were adventurous enough to HITCH HIKE from Colombia through to Bolivia and Couch Surf the entire time. That is some dedication.

My opinions on it are positive, and the fact that there are millions of members world wide gives it a pretty good reputations.

If I were traveling solo or even with a friend, I wouldn't hesitate to use couch surfing as a FREE lodging option. Of course there are always going to be stories of weirdos showing up at peoples homes, and other such encounters, but from my experience talking about it with other travelers and people who have personally used couch surfing, this tends to be less common than might be expected.

To summarize, I give it a thumbs up, and would recommend it.

--Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
Al,

Did you ever try out couch surfing?

I had a couple stay with me (ADVers) who were passing through from Canada on the way down towards South America. Anyhow they did the couchsurfing a lot, but I thought I would ask your opinion of it. Also why/why not?

Cheers
Old 03-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #1574
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Hey Alex,

I live in Rainier Washington. It took a couple days, but I finished your extensively rad ride report! Let me start by saying I'm a fellow Dr650 rider. And all I can say is wow, and inspirational!

[FONT=Arial

That being said, I've got 2 questions:

1: Would you be interested in getting together and allowing me to buy you and potentially the ol lady dinner while talkin about your adventures? I have a place to stay if need be?

2: WABDR this summer? I realize a large proposition to somebody that I have yet to meet in person. But I'm looking for someone or some people to ride with. And what better people than you and/or your crew!?! And of course I'm sure and understand if you got other huge plans!
Thanks,

Josh

Rainier_runner screwed with this post 03-03-2012 at 08:20 AM Reason: grammar and spelling
Rainier_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #1575
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Hey Josh! It seems like you are just over 100 miles south of me. Not too bad!

Thanks for reading the ride report amigo, it takes a bit of time to get through the entire thing. I'm glad you found it "extensively rad!"

Answer #1: I would be interested in allowing you to buy me and potentially the "ol lady" dinner while shooting the breeze and talking about adventure. I don't know when it'll happen, but it could happen!

Answer#2: The

WABDR - Washington Backcountry Discovery Route

Sounds Awesome! I've had a few people ask me the same question as well. Wanna go? Hell yea. I haven't met you either, but I'd be game for it. I don't have any huge plans yet, so keep me posted!

--Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier_runner View Post
Hey Alex,

I live in Rainier Washington. It took a couple days, but I finished your extensively rad ride report! Let me start by saying I'm a fellow Dr650 rider. And all I can say is wow, and inspirational!

[FONT=Arial

That being said, I've got 2 questions:

1: Would you be interested in getting together and allowing me to buy you and potentially the ol lady dinner while talkin about your adventures? I have a place to stay if need be?

2: WABDR this summer? I realize a large proposition to somebody that I have yet to meet in person. But I'm looking for someone or some people to ride with. And what better people than you and/or your crew!?! And of course I'm sure and understand if you got other huge plans!
Thanks,

Josh