BjoernTheH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:25 PM   #1577
Lunatic
Dan Keyhoety

Oddometer: 609
BA ,

U R the bomb dude !!!!

Rock on , DK

Don't be afraid your life will end, be afraid that it will never start.

Arrogance is the anesthesia that dulls the pain of stupidity
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #1578
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 767
What's up Danimal!

Hey Dan! Thanks amigo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
BA ,
U R the bomb dude !!!!
Rock on , DK

Check it guys.

So, I was out in my garage, going through all my extra motorcycle stuff, and found a couple of good looking things.

Amongst all my "shit" was a Reynolds Rack model 240 that I originally purchased for my '95 BMW K75. I had it installed for a little while, but Kristi my girlfriend, didn't enjoy the constraint it posed, and it never really matter to her.

Well, I started thinking. I recently rode from Everett, WA to Buenos Aires on an '07 DR650. Then I sold it to a traveler, flew home, bought an '09 DR650 in Alabama, and rode it to San Diego before catching a ride up I-5 back home.

What I experienced was nearly 3k miles of highway/interstate on my cross country USA trip, and several thousands more on my trip to Argentina.

Has anyone ever seen a back rest on a DR650? I suppose if you special ordered a Corbin, you could get a back rest installed. Or maybe even a Russell Day Long with that option.

I went a different route.

I was looking at the rear rack on my DR650. It's a variety of the Billet Rear rack, made by

So I took the top of the rack off it's mounting brackets, via the 4 removable screws, and who would have thought, my Reynolds Rack model 240 lined right up.

Now, it's nothing special, and surely there are many of you guys out there that use your DR650's as legitimate dual sporting terrain tacklers. Well with 4 easily removed bolts, this bad-boy comes off. Don't stress yourselves gents.

There are two mounting tabs on the Rack, and two of the bolts are installed on the inside, connecting to the tabs. The other two bolts go in from the outside. Also, as you can see, the Billet Aluminum rack is currently held on by 4 zip ties. It'll do for now.

Currently, the back rest pad sits a bit high. I am 6'6", and the pad rests a bit below, and directly between my shoulder blades. Anyone about 6' or less would find this to SUCK.

As for now, this is what is looks like. I will drill 4 more holes in the rack to make it have an adjustable position. I intend to make it able to move 4 inches forward, for a comfortable back rest position for solo riding.

Further more, the back rest will be made to be adjustable in height and position. This may lead to the rack staying in the same position while the back rest moves instead.

I like it for now. I will be cutting of the length of the back rest mounting legs that extends beyond the rear of the seat. About 4 to 5 inches or so.

I found another one on sale on EBAY. Similar to what I paid for mine about 3 years ago. Many others would work as well I am sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-85-97-RE...9ed047&vxp=mtr

Anyhow, it was a mildly productive day as I changed the oil too.

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #1579
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
I've not seen a "custom" back rest on a DR like that. Most end up having duffel bags mounted on the seat where a passenger would sit. So with the bags in place the rider can lean back on the duffel bag. Kind of limits your fore and aft movement but some riders like it. Works OK as a back rest I guess.

Placing a lot of weight up high and rearward ... like in your 1st pic ... is not advisable. With that little rack loaded up it could adversely affect handling ... and will no doubt break off riding off road. lowering it and moving it forward makes sense. This would work for highway riding, not sure off road.

For road trips, would you not consider towing the trailer?

Great looking DR650 ... love those Death Eater Graphics!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #1580
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I've not seen a "custom" back rest on a DR like that. Most end up having duffel bags mounted on the seat where a passenger would sit. So with the bags in place the rider can lean back on the duffel bag. Kind of limits your fore and aft movement but some riders like it. Works OK as a back rest I guess.

Placing a lot of weight up high and rearward ... like in your 1st pic ... is not advisable. With that little rack loaded up it could adversely affect handling ... and will no doubt break off riding off road. lowering it and moving it forward makes sense. This would work for highway riding, not sure off road.

For road trips, would you not consider towing the trailer?

Great looking DR650 ... love those Death Eater Graphics!
This morning I took off the whole contraption. Cutting up a perfectly good, HARD to find, Reynolds Rack model 240 is not my style.

I think if I were to make a massive road trip, two up, I'd consider a different option for a passenger.

On any road trip, I would most definitely tow the trailer.

--Alex
Old 03-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #1581
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
With a road trip, why not just ride the BMW? Then you can put the rack on it, backrest, and you can put the trailer on it too, right?

What am I missing?

Regards

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:40 PM   #1582
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

On an extensive road trip, I would likely take my BMW. If I were to put back rest on it, it would likely be a different model, or something that came as an accessory on a Russell Day Long or Corbin Seat.

At the moment, I can't pull the trailer with the BMW, as the BMW has a shaft drive, and the axle pin on the trailer that runs through the hollow axle of the DR650 will not run through the Shaft Drive on the BMW. So, someday in the near future, I hope to design/have created, a trailer hitch to hook up the trailer.

You're not missing much!

--Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Prefect View Post
With a road trip, why not just ride the BMW? Then you can put the rack on it, backrest, and you can put the trailer on it too, right?
What am I missing?
Regards
Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #1583
manshoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post
On an extensive road trip, I would likely take my BMW. If I were to put back rest on it, it would likely be a different model, or something that came as an accessory on a Russell Day Long or Corbin Seat.

At the moment, I can't pull the trailer with the BMW, as the BMW has a shaft drive, and the axle pin on the trailer that runs through the hollow axle of the DR650 will not run through the Shaft Drive on the BMW. So, someday in the near future, I hope to design/have created, a trailer hitch to hook up the trailer.

You're not missing much!

--Alex
Alex, Riches custom seats in Kingston can make you a " Custom seat" with a back rest for your DR650, Gel Pad ect comes with each fitting. Just Google the name and it's about 3 miles down the road right off the ferry in Kingston WA.

It's not cheap, but the benefit of the back rest on long rides is worth every penny. I have one on my Vstrom 1000 and with the addition of the Dan Vessal Hiway pegs for my bike, make it a all day cushy ride. I just mounted my Ram Mount cup holder, so now I wont have to worry about downing my drink or fiddling around with a Tank Bag to get hydrated.

If you get to Everett some time soon, or have time once the rain stops, I can meet up with you in Lake Stevens and you can check my seat out and see the quality of the back rest, which is removable also for easy two up when the occasion arises.

Photobucket

Photobucket

manshoon screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 12:09 PM
manshoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:49 AM   #1584
brecchi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Hey BigAl - just spent about a few weeks reading a few pages of this every day. What can I say that hasn't already been said. Awesome man. Thanks for taking the time to write this. Ive been too lazy to get with the format on here for uploading and writing my own, but I have done a few blogs. Look me up if you are ever going through NYC, and good luck in your future travels .

http://ridingbacktocentralamerica.blogspot.com/
brecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #1585
Hogslayer
motomaniac

Oddometer: 140
...Most Excellent....

This RR is right up there with "Bill and Teds Most Excellent Adventure" if your old enough to know what I'm talking about(Ha-Ha)

I've tryed to follow some RR's before when they first start and useally give up ,yours is one I remember starting to read and then forgot about untill about a week ago. There has only been a few I've finished all the way through and yours is one of them, useally I don't post because I'm a 2-finger typist and hate to type it takes me forever.

This will be the most I probally have ever typed, just to let you know once I found your thread again and started reading I could'nt stop I just finished a couple days ago and your a most exellent story teller.

Its great to see someone just take off without having the latest and greatest gear and just go with the flow and deal with things as they happen instead of trying to plan for everything.

It reminded me of years ago when me and a friend just out of high school took off on a old Harley and Triumph just to see if we could ride coast to coast,this was before there were ATM's, cell phones and this internet thing.

Every 50 to a 150 miles one of us would break down, this happened all the way across the country with us fixing our bikes on the side of the road and useing our wits to get by untill we made it there and back it was fun and our parents were most pissed off (had to wire us money so we could make it back home) .

You have that who cares what happens spirit and I see some most excellent adventures coming your way in the future so thank you for this RR it has to be allot of work to do these reports on the move , good luck with your future endeavors.

I've typed enough to last me a month or more,so again thanks and good luck ,bye.
Hogslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #1586
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for reading Brecchi! That's a pretty well loaded down DR650 I see in your blog pictures. I knew I wasn't the only one! If I make it to the NYC area, I'll look you up. Maybe I'll ride there on my way to Europe/Africa one day???

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecchi View Post
Hey BigAl - just spent about a few weeks reading a few pages of this every day. What can I say that hasn't already been said. Awesome man. Thanks for taking the time to write this. Ive been too lazy to get with the format on here for uploading and writing my own, but I have done a few blogs. Look me up if you are ever going through NYC, and good luck in your future travels . http://ridingbacktocentralamerica.blogspot.com/

Hello Hogslayer! Bill and Ted's most excellent adventure definitely rings a bell. I have seen it, but I'm not really old enough to know what you're talking about! Thanks for reading the entire Ride Report. I know what it's like to read a report, and then go back to it after having forgotten about it. I've done that a time or too myself. You're trip across the states was likely more of an adventure years ago then mine was. No internet, cell phone, no ATM's. You had it rough!

Thanks again for reading the ride report, and I am glad you enjoyed it!

--Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogslayer View Post
This RR is right up there with "Bill and Teds Most Excellent Adventure" if your old enough to know what I'm talking about(Ha-Ha)

I've tryed to follow some RR's before when they first start and useally give up ,yours is one I remember starting to read and then forgot about untill about a week ago. There has only been a few I've finished all the way through and yours is one of them, useally I don't post because I'm a 2-finger typist and hate to type it takes me forever.

This will be the most I probally have ever typed, just to let you know once I found your thread again and started reading I could'nt stop I just finished a couple days ago and your a most exellent story teller.

Its great to see someone just take off without having the latest and greatest gear and just go with the flow and deal with things as they happen instead of trying to plan for everything.

It reminded me of years ago when me and a friend just out of high school took off on a old Harley and Triumph just to see if we could ride coast to coast,this was before there were ATM's, cell phones and this internet thing.

Every 50 to a 150 miles one of us would break down, this happened all the way across the country with us fixing our bikes on the side of the road and useing our wits to get by untill we made it there and back it was fun and our parents were most pissed off (had to wire us money so we could make it back home) .

You have that who cares what happens spirit and I see some most excellent adventures coming your way in the future so thank you for this RR it has to be allot of work to do these reports on the move , good luck with your future endeavors.

I've typed enough to last me a month or more,so again thanks and good luck ,bye.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #1587
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

I know I've got options for a custom seat, and I think that if I were to go that route, I would likely go for a Russell Day Long Seat, custom made with a King/Queen seat that sat higher and further back. I am back in Everett now, full time, with my parents, enjoying the easy life while I apply for jobs everywhere I can. (Looks like I'll be full time at Everett Power Sports soon! YES!)

I had a Corbin Seat on my previous BMW K100 that had a back rest, so I am familiar with the benefits of a back rest.

It'll be a while at least before I end up with anything either way, as I am pretty poor at the moment! And justifiably so :)

--Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by manshoon View Post
Alex, Riches custom seats in Kingston can make you a " Custom seat" with a back rest for your DR650, Gel Pad ect comes with each fitting. Just Google the name and it's about 3 miles down the road right off the ferry in Kingston WA.

It's not cheap, but the benefit of the back rest on long rides is worth every penny. I have one on my Vstrom 1000 and with the addition of the Dan Vessal Hiway pegs for my bike, make it a all day cushy ride. I just mounted my Ram Mount cup holder, so now I wont have to worry about downing my drink or fiddling around with a Tank Bag to get hydrated.

If you get to Everett some time soon, or have time once the rain stops, I can meet up with you in Lake Stevens and you can check my seat out and see the quality of the back rest, which is removable also for easy two up when the occasion arises.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #1588
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
most excellent

Quote:
Ha ha, that's funny you mentioned bill and teds most excellent adventure, as it was on TV last night, locally in Australia. It sure did have a bit of a cult following at the time but watching bits and pieces of it last night...........well, we must have been slightly desperate for entertainment. This, I believe, was Keanu Reeves debut; so it must have paid off I guess.

Well, I'm going to take my DR for a quick blast out on a country road. Cya's
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #1589
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oh yea. I have titled all of my previous adventures as "Al's Excellent Adventure #1" , number 2 and so on... My adventure to South America in 2008 was the beginning of the "series."

Quote:
Old 03-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #1590
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post
I am pretty poor at the moment! And justifiably so :)
--Alex
Keep it that way as long as you can Al, or just enough $$ to keep the adventures rolling along