User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #1591
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101
I am pretty poor at the moment! And justifiably so :)
--Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
Keep it that way as long as you can Al, or just enough $$ to keep the adventures rolling along
I got a job at a local Motorcycle Shop, Everett Powersports, a Honda and Suzuki Motorcycle Dealership. AWESOME. I'm the general utility "bitch" that gets to learn how to do it all (if I'm lucky) and am now full time, gainfully employed (at least for the motorcycle season). I've got my eyes on Africa, and Kristi is already (rather, STILL) dreaming of Deserts, and Big Animals, Victoria Falls, and Kilimanjaro. So, for the moment, I will be poor, riding my DR everywhere, saving money.

AFRICA is next in line.

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:20 AM   #1592
Emile
+

Oddometer: 104
hey Alex nice to hear about your job and plans to head for Africa next!! thats the spirit! I would be riding towards africa tomorrow if I was not operated on my butt 2 days ago :S sncks a bit but I'll be back on track in a few weeks/months. maybe we see each other in africa you and Kristi hold on some nice rides are ahead!!

stay poor live rich!

Emile
Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #1593
D-RAIL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Yo Big A, Congrats on the m/c shop job. I wrenched for a major dealership for about six years....& I didnt make a ton of cash, but it was by far the most fun job Ive ever had!

If you're ever near Renton Motorcycle Center,(RMC). and need anything, ......stop in and ask for (PIMP C), Chris Ravenscraft. Hes a good friend of mine that I used to work with at that dealership in Texas. Hes all about a goodtime!

I scored a GIXXER exhaust can and a 39mm FCR carb....Im gonna get busy just as soon as I heal from my seperated shoulder that I suffered yesterday on my damn dirtbike!

D-rail
D-RAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #1594
OldPete2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Talking Great report Al

Hey there, just finished up reading your RR start to finish in the last few days. Great read, it was fun to follow along.

I see that you are starting to get over your abnormal fixation on your height. It only appears a few times in the last 20 pages or so.

Seriously though, you make it more of a deal than it really needs to be. My best friend growing up hit 7 feet when we were 14, and ended up at just over 7 foot two. I have 4 friends that are 7 feet and taller, (Len is the tallest at over 7' 2", but Jim is the largest at 7' 1-1/2 and 380# with virtually no body fat ), and 8 other friends that I can list off that are over 6'10". Just at my work of 19 people, there are 3 over 6' 8" and one over 7'. It was a lot of fun when a group of us all went over to Japan for business a few years ago.

I never made it past 5' 10", and I am just as fine with that as I am with my friends all being a LOT taller. Never even comes into the equation as we all got VERY tired of other people pointing and gawking at my group of friends being SO tall. Big deal, we are all just friends. My friends family has 4 boys all over 6' 7", and both my friend Cory AND his wife are over 6' 6".

So if you want to come up here and be the shortest person in the crowd (well except for me of course) we can arrange a get together.

I look forward to reading more of your adventures, and may well stop in and see you at Renton Power sports sometime as I get down that way sometimes. Will have to stop in and buy something, maybe take you out for lunch or something.

Thanks for posting up your reports Al, keep on moving forward!

OP
OldPete2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:14 AM   #1595
11Bones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Everett PowerSports

Wow, we now have another thing in common. I've known Mike (Mr. Liebold to you) for a long time and get most of my Goldwing parts there. How long do yo plan on working there? I'm sure I cand find a reason to come down and say hi.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 AM   #1596
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
poor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post
I know I've got options for a custom seat, and I think that if I were to go that route, I would likely go for a Russell Day Long Seat, custom made with a King/Queen seat that sat higher and further back. I am back in Everett now, full time, with my parents, enjoying the easy life while I apply for jobs everywhere I can. (Looks like I'll be full time at Everett Power Sports soon! YES!)

I had a Corbin Seat on my previous BMW K100 that had a back rest, so I am familiar with the benefits of a back rest.

It'll be a while at least before I end up with anything either way, as I am pretty poor at the moment! And justifiably so :)

--Alex
You may be broke, but you damn sure ain't POOR! Not with all the memories from this AWESOME RR! I know, that word is way over used, but so fiting!

What happened with the whole training/ big truck thing w/ your old boss? If you don't mind me asking. Stay safe out there!
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #1597
Booker909
Basketcase

Oddometer: 36
Finished!

Hey Alex, just finished the RR! Took me a few weeks but did it and enjoyed every second of it. You had drama, comedy, suspense...amazing! I believe you should make your africa trip into a book. I mean your S. America trip might as well be one so why not do the Africa trip with a book in mind. Surely there's some smaller publisher that would be onboard.

Have fun saving up cash and can't wait for the next chapter.
Booker909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #1598
Jimo368
intrepid traveller

Oddometer: 149
I just finished your ride report today and really enjoyed it. I wish some parts of it went somewhat smoother for you though. Its great to see young people enjoying themselves with great attitude and perseverance when the times got tough. Most people like myself are confined within careers, families, health or because of money, and it was an escape for me for a couple of weeks to ride along with you on your trip. When I was your age I was racing in the AMACCS series and I guess I had my own adventures for six years, so enjoy it while you can because life will seems to go by so darn quick.
Jimo368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #1599
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete2112 View Post
My best friend growing up hit 7 feet when we were 14, and ended up at just over 7 foot two. I have 4 friends that are 7 feet and taller, (Len is the tallest at over 7' 2", but Jim is the largest at 7' 1-1/2 and 380# with virtually no body fat ), and 8 other friends that I can list off that are over 6'10". Just at my work of 19 people, there are 3 over 6' 8" and one over 7'. It was a lot of fun when a group of us all went over to Japan for business a few years ago.
I am duely impressed by the number of very tall people that you know. First when I read your post I had to take a look at your location to see is it said Asgard, Pandora or the NBA finals-lol. I knew some of the worlds largest black bears come from Vancouver Island, never knew there were lots of tall folks there too. I do agree with your sentiment that Alex's RR flows better without a height reference every 3 pages.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #1600
OldPete2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Well I just had to slag him about something, he sure writes a great rr and I did not want that to swell his head too much. Lol.

Its better to travel well than to arrive.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #1601
bigalsmith101 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Jimo368: I just finished your ride report today and really enjoyed it. I wish some parts of it went somewhat smoother for you though. Its great to see young people enjoying themselves with great attitude and perseverance when the times got tough. Most people like myself are confined within careers, families, health or because of money, and it was an escape for me for a couple of weeks to ride along with you on your trip. When I was your age I was racing in the AMACCS series and I guess I had my own adventures for six years, so enjoy it while you can because life will seems to go by so darn quick.
I too wish some parts of the ride went smoother for me! I'd have saved a lot of money, and probably had more fun, and would have been able to ride along with Tom for a few more months. But THEN, I wouldn't have lived in a "smallish" mountainside town in the southern half of Ecuador, or worked out the sale of my bike to nicely. Have to give some and take some I guess. OF COURSE, I have no regrets!

I'm glad that you enjoyed reading the ride report as much as I enjoyed writing it. I was in for a good time and had fun sharing it with others. I fully intend to enjoy it while I can!

Quote:
OldPete2112Well I just had to slag him about something, he sure writes a great rr and I did not want that to swell his head too much. Lol. Its better to travel well than to arrive.
Thanks for reading the ride report amigo :) I realize now that I spent way to much time giving half a crap about my height in comparison to the locals. Sounds like you know some VERY tall people. One of my friends is 6'10 and 300lbs, so I've experienced feeling slightly short before...

I tried to write the report in a free flowing manner, but also in a way that would allow anyone new that came along to click on the link in the ride reports section and have a feel for what was going on when he/she started reading. There are a number of other things that I did that follow that same trend. You might have noticed that I generally wrote out the name of every city. or place that I was, complete with the name of the country behind it. Like, Lima, Peru, or Azoques, Ecuador. I based it off the assumption that many people wouldn't know where most of the minor cities were located, or maybe even what country I was in at the time of the posting. I tried to keep Fahrenheit and Celsius in order and convert when necessary, as well as keep converted currencies in scope. ($1US = 7.8 Bolivian Bolivianos...)

Either way, you're not the first, and probably not the last to bring up my now apparent (hind sight...) over exclamation of my size. Lots of travelers I met were nearly as tall (some taller) than me anyway!

Thanks again for reading along though, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. When I make it to Africa, stay posted for the ride report to follow!

--Alex
bigalsmith101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #1602
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
Dude! Dream job! Sa-weet!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #1603
Ford_Prefect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
This ride report cracks me up everytime I see it listed in my subscriptions as having new content!

This has GOT to be the longest RR still going after the ride itself was actually completed!

Not to worry though my good man, it is all good and will be just as enjoyable seeing you through Africa. I hope you do the next one with less inclination to give the bike a nap... ;)

Kind Regards,
Brian

Ford_Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #1604
OldPete2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Morning Al,

Your use of the spelling out the city the the country is a small item, but a very good one. Many people do not have that great of an understanding of geography of the country right next to them let alone all the way down to south america.

Along with the conversions of money, it helps to put the cost of the expense in a manner that is easier to understand. I for one have a good understanding of European currencies as I am a purchaser. But for south America I have no ideas on exchange.

Keep traveling, and keep learning.

Its better to travel well than to arrive.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #1605
donnh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Hey Big Al - My wife and I have followed your ride report and really enjoyed your story and how well it was written. It got us through another damp PNW winter. Although I skipped some of the posts since you returned I feel obligated to send you a message. In my non MC world I'm a business person so excuse me for always thinking of money making schemes, I can't help it. Have you thought of doing a presentation around Seattle on your travels? I know the ALTRider guys have set these up before and have had good attendance or maybe work something out with the Sound Rider group (I can make an introduction) to talk at the Dual Sport Rally this summer. I would think the shop you work at would be interested in having you speak. Have you looked at self publishing a book? Seriously, I think it would be better than about half the motorcycle travel books I've read. So between book sales, speaker fees and sponsorships you should be on your way to Africa in no time!
So there.... that's my $0.02 for what it's worth. < sign here
donnh is offline   Reply With Quote