User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2011, 02:27 AM   #811
crowe2815
kenoath

Oddometer: 267
Mate
I have been following this ride for a few months and i have to say i am bloody impressed.
Shitty luck comming off again but it happens. hope the old piss pot is OK.
Don't let the naysayers deter you
If you ship the bike home i think you will end up regretting it down the track.This sort of trip may be a once in a lifetime deal. You never know what may happen in the future.
Every battle scar is just another great chapter of a brilliant story that you will be able to tell people in years to come.
So hoist your extremely large testicles over your shoulder or where ever you carry the big bastards and get back into it.
crowe2815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:13 AM   #812
whotmonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Hang in there

Well I have been reading this since I discovered it and that wasn't long ago. You have been on an unbelievable adventure that will be with you for your entire life and probably for the lives of your kids and grand kids. Take the time you need to heal and make your decisions carefully. I hope your head is in the right place emotionally. Hitting someone at that speed and hurting them is a very difficult thing to get your head around even when IT WAS NOT your fault. That is why they call them accidents. Combine that with pain, and missing your one of a kind girl and you have to be a bit depressed.

So hang in there. Let us all know what we can do to help. I bought you more than a few beers. I wish you the best!
whotmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:33 AM   #813
Tinfish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
I'm glad you are taking the next week or two to think about things. The whole point of the trip is for it to be fun; if it becomes more fun to take the bus or fly rather than ride the bike, you'd be foolish not to listen to that. There are a bunch of ways to travel; on this site we can get a bit fixated on motorcycles but they are only one transportation option, and not the best choice for every situation.

Good luck with the legal stuff; I hope that all goes smoothly.
Tinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:04 AM   #814
eightangrybears
Daily adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Stay strong there, man. There are a lot of people out there who come off on round the world trips. I read on Tom's site you are into Hubert Kriegel's travels, "The Timeless Ride." I remember reading on there somewhere that he met a man who had only ridden a motorcycle for 4 years (at the age of 60 or something like that), bought a BMW 1200GS and drove down to Ushuaia and back. He fell something like 20 times on that trip. You could have it a lot worse...

I think that the trip is trying to tell you something, though...KEEP GOING. I think if you were meant to go home now, the bike would be in pieces or had fallen off a cliff or blew up or all of the above. Even though you have had a couple of issues, maybe it's just time to adjust your riding a little bit. I am by no means calling your riding sloppy. I believe every word of you saying they weren't your fault. I live in a city filled with idiots who have nearly killed me multiple times...I believe you. What I am saying is maybe be more cautious than you think you should even be...even when you don't think you should be.

Don't make a rash decision based on anger or rage. It won't be the right one. IMHO, I would finish the ride. Get your bike fixed up, catch up with Tom and Charlie and ride together for a while. Remember, you hadn't really ridden much since your last accident. And it had been a month or more since you had ridden at all and were probably still on a little bit of a high from Kristi being there. All that could have added up. And at the same time, some idiot stepped out in front of you. That's not your fault and it shouldn't end your trip because of it.

Keep your head up, man...you'll know what the right choice is...
1991 Kawasaki KLR 650
1981 Kawasaki 440 LTD
eightangrybears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 06:42 AM   #815
LogJam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Damn dude, that just happened to my buddy. Drunk guy stumbling down the middle of a remote freeway at night. Lucky both survived. Two weeks later smacks a bear. Fix that bike and keep going, you'll regret bailing out. Lick wounds later.... great report by the way.

Logjam
LogJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #816
gloud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Alex give it time, (And glad to hear you are going to be OK, here's hoping the drunk will be too. Thats all you need is a dead accident victim. )

Heal up and go from there. they say the collerbone is the most common Motorcycle injury. painful but they heal by themselves most of the time. Only you can decide weather to pull out at this juncture . If it was me I would have to sit down and figure it out too. It took me a LONG time to figure out I was not immortal. I am a walking junkyard of medical appliances to prove it. And at 48 I have very bad days moving because of it.

There will always be other adventures.

And always assume that the guy on the side of the road or the Cow or the dog or the Kid will dart out into your path.
(same with drivers. anything that can move is out to get you!) with that in mind ride more defensively . When I was younger I didn't and it was dumb luck I didn't go down hard on the road. (at high speed) now I am older and feel the pain LOL) I am a much more Defensive driver.

Hang in there and here's some good thoughts heading your way.
Glenn

gloud screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 01:20 PM
gloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:48 AM   #817
freefallen
down with gravity

Oddometer: 240
sorry to hear that....
I think the best options would be selling your bike if you can and depending how you feel go backpacking light further south.
just take it easy, no regrets.
Suzi V-Strom '12 (just bough it)
Suzi V-Strom '06 (35 000 miles), Suzi V-Strom '04 (97 000 mile)
freefallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #818
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,978
Wow BigAL, bummer to hear of the latest mishap, BEERs/$$ for chow on the way! You've been through a lot, so do as you plan and take it easy and evaluate your options once this mess is sorted out. I've had 3 broken collar bones, it may be posible to ride that way, but to be honest hard for me to imagine doing it in 2-3 weeks. You need to be able to not just hold the bike straight but to also manage it in another tough situation, so think about that while weighing your options. Heal well and fast!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #819
Cariboostrom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
I've totally LOVED reading your ride report Al. So sorry to hear of all your troubles. I can't help but echo what Betitolara says, in that you may THINK you're riding cautiously, BUT you need to be much more careful, in my humble opinion. I'd hate to see another Ozymandias happen, when you have a wonderful woman waiting for you back home to enjoy life with. Keep going for sure; don't give up on your dream; definitely keep going, BUT please, please ride more slowly, and more cautiously...everything that can move is definitely out to get you....especially in Peru and Bolivia. No rushing.... Tom will still be there waiting....There is a saying "go slower and get there faster." Take your time, heal, be careful, but DO keep going...it's your dream trip and, as many have said, you will have lots to talk about when you are older. It's also true what someone else said, that those injuries come back to haunt you when you are older, with aches and pains! I will be eagerly awaiting your next installment. Take care of yourself.
Danielle

Cariboostrom screwed with this post 10-03-2011 at 09:03 AM
Cariboostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #820
10 Man
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,967
Damn dude this ride is getting too painful ....slow down and smell the roses !
Old 10-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #821
WildsideRider
Cruiser Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Hey BigAL...Man, you are on some kind of adventure dude!! I say give yourself plenty of time to heal up and get back at er...just ride SLOWER and expect everything to jump out in front of you. you've come too far to stop short of your ultimate destination now. Enjoy every single day (I know, I don't need to be telling you that, you seem really really good at it already :)), even the ones where you are sleeping on a thin mat on the floor of an Ecuadorian jail cell...those ones make the telling of the story even more magical in later years. I hope your injury's heal well and I hope the drunk heals up well. Good luck man, and thanks for the awesome RR!!
WildsideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #822
Captbb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Hi man, I was shocked to read about your last spill. We just had lunch with you a couple of hours before crash. Wishing you speedy recovery. It was a pleasure talking with you. Be safe my friend.
Captbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #823
thorzite
Ok, Hold my beer ...

Oddometer: 95
Unreal Man ...

Good luck to you bud ....
thorzite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #824
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,655
I've sat on this for some time thinking about what I would do and really it's tough to say. I don't think I can put myself in your shoes.

Here you are ON the trip of a lifetime and you've received your fair share of bad luck, but seemingly handled the situations very well. I can't fathom the up and down feelings when considering your position.

It's easy to say "keep it up!" when you haven't been there, but even after the first one in Baja I'd be struggling to find a fix and continue on. This will be your third time, not to mention Tom's luck with being pistol slapped.

In either event, I think you can agree it's the possiblility that this opportunitiy will never present itself again, at least in the senerio it is now (add 40 years, medications, and worry about well being is not the same way) and that right there is the driving factor, in my opinion.

Whatever you do, don't make the decision lightly but know none of us will be judging. You've been through a hell of a lot!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:43 PM   #825
motobipod
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Alex, what an absolutely wild and crazy trip you're having! Thanks for taking the time to bring us along with your photos and stories.

Sorry to hear of your latest misfortune. It's a relief that you're mostly okay. You will have quite a story to tell at the end of this, just make sure you get there to tell it! Sending good vibes! Heal up and feel better!
motobipod is offline   Reply With Quote