Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2011, 10:12 PM   #16
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
Back in the bad old 80's we used to have pur rear brake shoes relined at a place where they reline brakes for Fork lifts.

If you can find a place like that, order the 'medium hardness' lining and you'll probably be happy.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #17
Rob Farmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,415
These guys are the great for bike engineering in the UK http://www.srmclassicbikes.com/wheels/brakes They come in around a third of the price of a new set of BMW shoes for relining.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #18
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
These guys are the great for bike engineering in the UK http://www.srmclassicbikes.com/wheels/brakes They come in around a third of the price of a new set of BMW shoes for relining.
Good on you mate.
I came from The Old School of the 3 Rs
Re-build
Re-use
Re-cycle

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #19
wmax351
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
The Parts supply for airheads is WAAAY better than any other (older) motorcycle company, except possibly Vincent. And a Black Shadow is more valuable than a brand new BMW, so you can see why that supply is there. Harley is possibly on par with BMW, but largely from after-market.

In regards to the secondary, after-market options, when it is profitable, there will be non-OEM stuff available. With modern manufacturing and machining techniques, it is very feasible to do the mid numbers production runs.

Look at the old British bikes. Or even the old CB750's. There are plenty of parts (often of better quality) available from after-market suppliers.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #20
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhach View Post
I was shocked when I entered the world of BMW's at how readily available most parts still are. You guys have it good. Call HD or a Japanese brand and ask for OEM parts for a 30+ year old motorcycle.
Harley probably no problem. There's a good chance they may be using the same parts on their new bikes.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #21
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,357
I have been reading here how great the prices and availability is for BMWs. Used parts are affordable because of the scrapers that are parting out bikes that need more new parts than they are worth.
To put an old airhead back into top shape though, some new parts are needed, like pistons and clutches, which have become very expensive in the last couple of years. When the supply of old junkers (that the Ebay scrapers buy) runs out, used prices will go up accordingly.
I have done my share of restoring/rebuilding old airheads, so for a change last year, I restored a 1966 Triumph. To my surprise the parts were cheaper than for like BMW parts, with great availability. You can buy a brand new (74 I think) Norton Commando, because all the parts are still made and many are of higher quality than the original.
Just my take on it.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #22
Rob Farmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

It would appear that BMW are having parts made in China which probably explains some of the quality issues experienced recently.

I had a new clutch release bearing part fail in less than 60 miles because it hadn't been hardened correctly. Richie Moore had a new 336 cam lobe break up. Seems the costs have gone up but the quality has gone down.

I remember going through similar issue with Brit bikes in the 80's when the market was flooded with poor quality aftermarket parts.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:52 AM   #23
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
No one has mentioned (in my quick read) the usual suspects in BMW parts for older airheads like:

Bob's BMW
Benchmark Works
Boxer Works

etc.

Hang in there, stock up on expendables (filters, brake pads, etc) and ride happily on.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:37 AM   #24
Rob Farmer OP
Beastly Adventurer

Just tracked a new pair of genuine brake shoes down in Germany, Even with the cost of postage they're 25 cheaper than I was quoted by the BMW dealer here