Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #16
Sparrowhawkdesign OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar View Post
Having a bike, '07 GS Adventure, on its way to DMC I thought I'd like to understand a bit more. Let's see if I understand all that's going on, not so much from the absolute, but from the pracitcal.

Since I have opted for the trail reduction to improve steering, I'm inclinded to understand that I will lose some ground clearance, though minimal i.e. <2 inches?

Trail reduction in itself would effectively increase ground clearance, considering just geometry alone (raise the front end), but factor in a soft suspension along with an increased 'downward' vector (reduced trail), plus the added weight of the side car (downward force), and voila, some reduction in height where one would think it should increase height???
There are going to be some gaps in my answering here as I am working on three different sidecar jobs while training a new employee and answering phones.

For the basics regarding rake and trail take a look at this site first.
http://www.seegercycle.com/Rake-and-Trail.aspx

Barry

General Manager, designer, installer, test rider, problem solver. Generally whatever needs doing.
37 YEARS PLAYING WITH SIDECARS

Myths and misinformation are more seductive than the truth.
Sparrowhawkdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #17
Sparrowhawkdesign OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Finally got the pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawkdesign View Post
Sorry for the delay in answering your post. This is the first time I've had a chance to get back to this. Long day/night Sunday and two new workers starting yesterday kept me busy. Can't seem to do this like I did when I was younger. LOL

Just did a quick picture search and I can't find the pictures I need to show you. I will have someone search for them today so I can post them. Worst case I have a batch of modified parts I should be getting next Monday so if we can't find the pictures I want I will have more taken next week and post them for you.
Barry
Finally got a picture of the new part along side one of the earlier ones. You can see the change made to solve the ground clearance loss. This one is for the BMW 1200GS.
Barry
Attached Images

General Manager, designer, installer, test rider, problem solver. Generally whatever needs doing.
37 YEARS PLAYING WITH SIDECARS

Myths and misinformation are more seductive than the truth.
Sparrowhawkdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #18
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawkdesign View Post
Finally got a picture of the new part along side one of the earlier ones. You can see the change made to solve the ground clearance loss. This one is for the BMW 1200GS.
Barry
I have the older one on my03 GSA which works just fine,but I also replaced my shocks with Works shocks.I also lowered my bike to a 31" seat height which works great..My biggest complaint was no instructions with anything I bought.Why is that?I got hte same answer that I Hop got.Why is that??
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:14 PM   #19
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
The part installs exactly the same as the factory part, So no instructions are needed as it is the same as in the factory service manual. We have however with the last one we installed in house taken step by step photo's to be able to include with the part.
With the new part the bike sits about 1/8 of an inch higher then it did with out the sidecar,
Ground clearance depends on many factors.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
jaydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #20
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydmc View Post
The part installs exactly the same as the factory part, So no instructions are needed as it is the same as in the factory service manual. We have however with the last one we installed in house taken step by step photo's to be able to include with the part.
With the new part the bike sits about 1/8 of an inch higher then it did with out the sidecar,
Ground clearance depends on many factors.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
I am glad to see you all have come up with this modification Jay. I remember we had quite a discussion about this a while back,. Good job!

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #21
Melrone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
My question is then.When we ordered your parts why didn't that be said when you ship out the parts.This would of made mounting your parts alot easier alittle lesss stressful when installing...
Melrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #22
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

Frankly, I never thought we needed instructions for this part, As a certified master mechanic, I some times miss these things, In my case, even if I had instructions on how to install this part, I would not have used them as it is fairly straight forward, it never occured to me that instructions were needed.
We have now taken a series of photo's showing each step along the way.
Jay G
DMC sidecars.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #23
iHop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Frankly, I never thought we needed instructions for this part, As a certified master mechanic, I some times miss these things, In my case, even if I had instructions on how to install this part, I would not have used them as it is fairly straight forward, it never occured to me that instructions were needed.
We have now taken a series of photo's showing each step along the way.
Jay G
DMC sidecars.
Melrone may be referring to other instructionless parts than just the various incarnations of the front-end mods. Bike-side mounts, brakes, etc...

Here's a little test for your "certified master mechanic" skills.

Behold this $300.00 tour de force of engineering and manufacturing prowess:

Just for starters. Which way is up?
iHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #24
jaydmc
Studly Adventurer

The previous post was refering to the R1200GS steering modification. The part shown is for the R1100GS and works well however we did find out that there are two different fenders made for the R1100GS and as such we now build this part to work with either fender. and include photo's of what it looks like installed. We do also offer a new from billet part for this bike that replaces the original ball joint mount, it runs $800 we developed the plate as a lower cost option..
Jay G
Old 07-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #25
iHop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
The previous post was refering to the R1200GS steering modification. The part shown is for the R1100GS and works well however we did find out that there are two different fenders made for the R1100GS and as such we now build this part to work with either fender. and include photo's of what it looks like installed. We do also offer a new from billet part for this bike that replaces the original ball joint mount, it runs $800 we developed the plate as a lower cost option..
Jay G
Want to answer the question? Which way is up? Which way should that part mount on the bike?
iHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #26
jpms
sidecar joe

Oddometer: 11
GS Ground Clearance

Hi There gentelmen I have read with interest this thread so I thought I pass on my bodges.
This is what i have done to my rig here in the UK to re-gain the ground clearance, lost with the hack fitted and better handling of the rig and light sterring.
Note :- BMW R850R 1997 vintage fitted with a 1972 Squire ST2,
This handles very well up to its max at 92mph full loaded. The front lower triple tree has been replaced with a1100GS unit which is 1" higher than the standard item, also installed a 10m thick extension plate under the triple tree to move the fork tubes 1" foward of the engine although the top fork mounts are angeled its with-in the working paremeters of the mount. The rear end has a 1100GS adjustable Rear shock and shortend support arm.
Although some guys might think shock horror playing DIY with your hacks it has to be tried & tested by someone. Sidecar Joe UK
jpms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #27
jpms
sidecar joe

Oddometer: 11
Which way up

The answer to the question depends how the fender is mounted 1 . from the top 2. from the bottom. I think its a case of using the grey metter between your ear's Regards Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHop View Post
Want to answer the question? Which way is up? Which way should that part mount on the bike?
jpms is offline   Reply With Quote