User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
browneye OP
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,074
Husqvarna is the new Husaberg under KTM

I don't know if there's a thread already for discussing the outcome of the Husqvarna brand, so I'm starting a new one here. Post your opinions, let the dialog flow...

I got my official 2014 HUSQVARNA newsletter magazine yesterday and read through it. I've been getting them since I bought my 2011 TE630 which has been a fantastic motorcycle, built in the now SWM factory in Italy. It is the last of the Italian Husky's from before BMW bought them.

They are trying really hard to showcase the brand name. Can't fault them for that. But these aren't husky's, they're KTM's with blue gold and white plastic. I mean come on! There's nothing original about these bikes now, nothing that is Husqvarna.

I can just see that the young fans of motocross and supercross can't tell the difference. I'm sure they'll just think this old marque is now made anew. They even have a 5-man team of offroad racers. They're obviously jumping into dirtbike racing in a big way. And why not? They have the backing of KTM. And their bikes! What I don't get though is why KTM is creating a brand to compete with THEMSELVES??

I don't wish any ill will for KTM and their new Husqvarna brand name, but geesh, there's nothing Husqvarna about them. They went on and on in the newsletter about the history of the marque, the Swedish heritage, the motocross racing in the 60's and 70's, the arms manufacturing and the old husky gunsite logo. But all of that is gone, there's nothing left!

As an early adopter of the KTM brand, from before it was KTM (Penton) I've followed them through decades of history. And the rollercoaster life of the husky brand, from Swedes to Italians (Cagiva), the splitting off of Husaberg and then being bought by KTM. Of BMW buying and raping the brand, then selling it off. And now Husaberg is gone? But why? Why any of it?

I think it's really ballsy that from what I can see as an outsider, KTM simply bought Husqvarna for the brand name. To bring the brand under their umbrella. Then sold off what was left of the real Husqvarna motorcycles to SWM in Italy, bought by the Chinese. It makes me sad that all these businessmen have literally raped and pillaged the husky brand for so many years. First the Italians, then the Germans, now the Austrians.

What say ye? Am I really just missing the entire picture?
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
You ever look closely at the last generation of Italian 650 Huskies and BMW X-Bikes or Husky 449's and BMW G450's?

Husky was dead long before KTM acquired the rights.

As you know, Husky was dead long before KTM acquired the rights. With any luck KTM will at least get the brand, and a brand name really is all it has been for quite a while, pointed back in the right direction instead of being used as a place to dump unsold X-bike and G450 parts and technology. I would argue Husky is at least more in line with their roots under KTM than BMW.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
browneye OP
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
You ever look closely at the last generation of Italian 650 Huskies and BMW X-Bikes or Husky 449's and BMW G450's?

Husky was dead long before KTM acquired the rights.
Yep. BMW killed 'em before dumping them on KTM.

Cagiva killed 'em when they bought the brand from the Swedes. They didn't do the brand any favors either. I followed it through the 80's to the 2000's and they couldn't even build and ship bikes.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #4
Thumperama
RIP Husaberg

Oddometer: 170
I think KTM's influence on Husaberg and vice versa was actually a good thing, except I don't agree with killing off the Husaberg name in favor of Husqvarna. I hate to see a good brand disappear into history, but from a business standpoint, I guess it makes sense. The 70 degree Berg's were/are some fantastic machines. I love my italian built TE630 Husky, but the bike had some quality issues (easily fixed) that I didn't find on my Husabergs. I don't have any trouble finding parts for either brand.

I love the look of the new Husky's, and the press has been complimentary of the new crop of blue, yellow and white bikes. I'd love to pick up one of the new TE300's. Ain't nothin' wrong with an electric start 2 stroke.
'06 Triumph Tiger 955i, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i
'97 & '87 XR600R's
Thumperama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Yep. BMW killed 'em before dumping them on KTM.

Cagiva killed 'em when they bought the brand from the Swedes. They didn't do the brand any favors either. I followed it through the 80's to the 2000's and they couldn't even build and ship bikes.
I think the Italians did well. The red headed 250/310 and 450/510 engines were actually very good. At least mechanically.

BMW killed, raped and destroyed Husky. Husky had allready an updated engine in the pipeline for the 450/510 engines, but BMW forced them to use the G450X/nail in the coffin engine.

Beats me why KTM bought the brand.
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
BenMcG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
As you know, Husky was dead long before KTM acquired the rights. With any luck KTM will at least get the brand, and a brand name really is all it has been for quite a while, pointed back in the right direction instead of being used as a place to dump unsold X-bike and G450 parts and technology. I would argue Husky is at least more in line with their roots under KTM than BMW.
+1. Just glad someone bought them and is taking them in some direction. Maybe they'll start reproducing NLA parts for the cagiva built ones.

If any of you have ridden a 90's-early 00's Italian Husky, you know how stable they are. And they (2-stroke cagiva-husky's) are pretty damn reliable too.
BenMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #7
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
I hate to agree with Kyns (he knows why ), but the Italian version of Husky did seem to be getting things right. So I do wish the new Chinese owned SWM company well building new Italian bikes from long dead Husky DNA.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
CafeRacer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Husky was getting some stuff seriously right. The Red Head motors were pretty good and the TXC/TE/TC 250/310s were pretty rad bikes at a great price. I loved my 2010 TE250 and still love my CR125 MX bike.

BUT...

The stuff BMW forced on them was.... weird. The TE449/511 was a flop and the 650 Terras were strange bikes that answered a question a KLR or Weestrom answers for much less money.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #9
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer View Post
BUT...

and the 650 Terras were strange bikes that answered a question a KLR or Weestrom answers for much less money.
I disagree. The Terra was a much better bike than either of the above, IMO, (I owned one for a while) good horsepower and suspension, reasonable weight. The price was less than a weestrom and barely above the waaaaay inferior KLR (which I also owned, an 08).

Regarding the new KTM/Husky brand...the major difference is the Husky dirt bikes have the rear linkage design rather than the PDS KTM uses on most of their off-road stuff. I bought a 14 TE250 and could adjust the suspension for less seat height, and the linkage works better than the PDS system also, IMO.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #10
browneye OP
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
I disagree. The Terra was a much better bike than either of the above, IMO, (I owned one for a while) good horsepower and suspension, reasonable weight. The price was less than a weestrom and barely above the waaaaay inferior KLR (which I also owned, an 08).
We TE630 owners laughed when the TR650 came out because they took 2" of suspension travel out and added at least 30lbs of weight. It was a better road bike though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawagumby View Post
Regarding the new KTM/Husky brand...the major difference is the Husky dirt bikes have the rear linkage design rather than the PDS KTM uses on most of their off-road stuff. I bought a 14 TE250 and could adjust the suspension for less seat height, and the linkage works better than the PDS system also, IMO.
I thought I read this somewhere, but it does make sense. The PDS is finicky in that all the progressive rate damping has to be done within the shock itself. If the sag and spring rate aren't just right they don't work right. I had one, it was the only bike I've ever owned with custom tuned suspension and it worked great. But they are notoriously finicky to setup right. Anybody that complains about it just hasn't had one setup right.

But yeah, linkage suspension is much more forgiving...just throw a decent shock in there and it'll work pretty darn good. And like you say, easy to change ride height.

I thought the TE250 low version was brilliant. What a great starter bike for a bunch of riders. Oh well.

As far as SWM building Italian huskys, I'm doubting we'll see them this side of the pond.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #11
kawagumby
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
We TE630 owners laughed when the TR650 came out because they took 2" of suspension travel out and added at least 30lbs of weight. It was a better road bike though.

Yeah, it's a road bike that can handle fireroads, that's about it (like a KLR). But it does that well, and the Italian-modified engine puts out noticeably more horses than the BMW versions do. I got rid of mine only because I discovered that I am still pretty much a dirt-only guy.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #12
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,777
I owned a 2006 TE510 & then a 2007 TE 250. I loved both bikes with the exception of the close ratio 6 speed. I put over 13,000 on the 510 with 0 problems. Not really a dual sport as intended. Very reliable though. For me I consider the 2007 the last Husky. My last Husky before that was 1978 250 OR. I think KTM just see's $ signs by keeping the name alive. Most younger folks have no idea what real Husqvarna's were They were really special bikes back in the day, hence KTM shelling out the bucks for the name. No real competition between the two really they make their profit regardless what the badge says on the bike.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #13
mknj671
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
KTM buying Husky happened so quickly they did not have time to make the model lineups vastly different for the 2015 model year. Rumor is 2016 will see bigger changes to the Husky models, the BMW years were terrible so anything is a step in the right direction under KTM.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #14
Thumperama
RIP Husaberg

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by mknj671 View Post
KTM buying Husky happened so quickly they did not have time to make the model lineups vastly different for the 2015 model year. Rumor is 2016 will see bigger changes to the Husky models, the BMW years were terrible so anything is a step in the right direction under KTM.
I've heard the same thing. Thought about picking up a 2015 TE300, but was advised to wait until the 2016 models come out.
'06 Triumph Tiger 955i, '01 Triumph Sprint ST 955i
'97 & '87 XR600R's
Thumperama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #15
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
I remember something similar in the change from the TE610 to the porkier TE630.