User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
woodzrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
2013 exc 500 vs XC-W 500

I was at my local KTM dealer today drooling over some new scoots.I also ran into a freind while I was there and mentioned I was leaning towards the 500 EXC as it is completely street legal for dual sport riding. One of the salesmen joined in the conversation as my freind and I were discussing the differences between the EXC vs theXC-W. The XC-W can be tagged for street in OKLA but you have to add DOT tires, turn sigs, horn and mirrors. I don't have a prob with that. My freind pointed out that the XC-W runs better due to the fact that the EXC is programmed lean for EPA
reasons and the ECM cannot be re-mapped where the XC-W can be The salesman then chimed in and said if KTM
were to find out the EXC ECM were tampered from the dealer, KTM would fine the dealer and pull their license.Other than the lighting issue between the 2 bikes, which would be the better choice for dualsport dirt riding. Bike may see approx 20% street, 80%dirt.Wish I could buy both!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500314
Baja report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641219
woodzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,218
They're the same bike, buy the EXC and get it remapped or the XC-W and put the required junk on it. If your state requires signals I'd say the remap would be cheaper.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #3
KrustyKustom
Lets Go....

Oddometer: 619
I just bought a 500exc and pondered the same items as you. In Texas dirt bikes are taxed at 8 1/4 percent where street bikes are taxed at 6 1/4 percent so with that difference and what parts I was going to have to by to get the xcw legal it made more sense to go exc.

The two bikes have never been more similar than this generations. It used to be then exc got the cast piston and the xcw got the forged. Same on rims last year, but now they are all the same.

I desmogged mine and have no plans on a remap. Runs sweet. I think dirt rider said it best that if you find yourself short on power on one of these KTM may be looking for a rider like you!
KrustyKustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:37 AM   #4
nzcvlh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I selected the XC-W. It was much easier for me to make the XC-W street legal than to deal with de-smog and EFI tuning and ECU mapping issues of the EXC. The XC-W allows the ability to use 3 different EU maps; milder, stock, aggressive. I don't know it that is the case for the EXC. I heard that it can not be unlocked and therefore requires an aftermarket tuning device, but I can not confirm that. I actually prefer the mild setting on the XC-W. It makes for very easy tight trail behavior and still has the same output at high TPS openings. Others may prefer the EXC over the XC-W. Just depends on your preference and what is allowed in your state.

Dave
nzcvlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:43 AM   #5
Paddington
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Im confused on the FMF page looks like a lot more exchaust options for the XC versions then it is for the EXC. I would like the carbon end cap on my EXC. It will fit with no problems I hope?
Paddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #6
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,471
At resale time,the bike that is street legal from the factory is the one most likely to sell. Either bike can be made as fast as you want.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 04:58 PM
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:23 PM   #7
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgear View Post
I went with the XC-W and had my dealer add a lighting kit. I paid less for the XC-W vs the EXC up front, didn't have to pay for those big ugly stock blinkers. You get crappy tires with the EXC, bunch of smog junk that has to be removed, stupidly tall gearing, a restrictive exhaust, Lean fuel mapping that Has to be remapped. My dealer installed a complete dual sport kit and registered it for the street right from the get-go. So I didn't have to pay for an off road sticker.

There's other things I'm forgetting, like that ugly chain guard that comes stock on the EXC. Oh, and those big ugly mirrors on the EXC that I would've thrown away. The mirror mounts are different (xc-w doesn't have them on the lever perches). I wouldn't be surprised if the suspension is slightly different between the two, that's a chance I wasn't willing to take. I don't want a steering lock, just more junk to break. I have a 'less is more' approach and wanted a real dirt bike with a plate, not a compromised 'dual sport'. Most of the people I see who get the EXC, add a bunch of junk to the bike, making it even heavier and less off road worthy, leaning towards sit-down dirt road plunking. For example, No big tanks for me, I carry and extra 1/2 gallon in my fanny pack, when I need it.

Let's be clear, those in restrictive states, have no choice, they Have to buy the EXC. Also, if the EPA wants to stick-it to you, they can enforce the smog, charcoal canister removal, etc. They Have been doing that in Kalifornistan, at Carnegie OHV, for green sticker dirt bikes. So all you guys on the EXC's better save your smog stuff, in case you get a fix-it ticket and have to put it back on.
I don't quite get your "compromised" view on the EXE, it's about as close as it can get to an XCW and have a DOT cert and probably one of the most dirt worthy street legal bikes on the market. I completely understand why you bought the XCW but as far as the other being compromised, KTM lists both bikes at 245lbs. It's one, half dozen of the other depending on which one you buy. Suspension is the same, once remapped FI is the same or many go a step further and flash the euro map. Smog, takes all of 20 min to remove (and replace), mirror mounts are separate in the package with the mirrors, it ships with the same master & slave brackets as the xcw. For a similar amount of work the EXE can be made into an XCW and vise-versa, the EXE will end up with extra wiring when it's all done. Not sure how the xcw ships but this year the exe ships with an H4 headlight that actually works pretty well, fan is also included. All this is stuff you can do to the XCW but it will quickly use up the XCWs price break. In the end, most riders end up with very similar bikes regardless of what they start out with. FD is correct though, historically the exe brings more $ at resale compared to a similarly setup xcw just by virtue of it's DOT cert. I recently saw a very nice '09 530XCW go cheap in Vegas after an extended listing because many of the perspective buyers couldn't get tags for it in their locations.

For many of us the big tank is a necessity, when rides stretch 180 mi between fuel stops an extra half gallon on your back is heavy and will still leave allot of walking to do. It all boils down to how each of us use the bike.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:03 PM   #8
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I don't quite get your "compromised" view on the EXE, it's about as close as it can get to an XCW and have a DOT cert and probably one of the most dirt worthy street legal bikes on the market. I completely understand why you bought the XCW but as far as the other being compromised, KTM lists both bikes at 245lbs. It's one, half dozen of the other depending on which one you buy. Suspension is the same, once remapped FI is the same or many go a step further and flash the euro map. Smog, takes all of 20 min to remove (and replace), mirror mounts are separate in the package with the mirrors, it ships with the same master & slave brackets as the xcw. For a similar amount of work the EXE can be made into an XCW and vise-versa, the EXE will end up with extra wiring when it's all done. Not sure how the xcw ships but this year the exe ships with an H4 headlight that actually works pretty well, fan is also included. All this is stuff you can do to the XCW but it will quickly use up the XCWs price break. In the end, most riders end up with very similar bikes regardless of what they start out with. FD is correct though, historically the exe brings more $ at resale compared to a similarly setup xcw just by virtue of it's DOT cert. I recently saw a very nice '09 530XCW go cheap in Vegas after an extended listing because many of the perspective buyers couldn't get tags for it in their locations.

For many of us the big tank is a necessity, when rides stretch 180 mi between fuel stops an extra half gallon on your back is heavy and will still leave allot of walking to do. It all boils down to how each of us use the bike.
+1. In the long run having it completely street legal from the factory can be a plus,and it cant be free to have a dealer install a dual purpose kit and all the other oddities needed.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
I agree, the bikes are almost the same. That's good the mirror mounts are separate, didn't know that. What about your swing arm, is it drilled for the chain guard? What it boils down to, is the having Choice to start from pure dirt bike and make it street legal, vs the other way around. I literally took my bike straight from the dealer, it had the tires, gearing and mapping set up for hard core dirt biking, I didn't have to do a thing. EXC owners would need to buy a new set of tires ($150), get it re-mapped somehow, probably have to pay $100 for that?, buy a set of sprockets, $70, take off all the smog stuff, maybe buy a new exhaust $500? or drill out the stocker?, what else??

That's a lot of work, time and about $320-$800 depending on the exhaust and tire selection. Yes I paid $250 for the dual sport kit and installation, but I also paid $500 less for the bike up front. Paying less up front, negates higher resale of EXC at the back end.

Not sure which headlight my XC-W has but I would like to get a brighter bulb, anyone know?

I am getting over 50 mpg off road, so my extra 1/2 gallon gives me over 100 range. So far, that's been enough, but I might need to add a tank if I ever go farther.

Bottom line, I'm an XC-W snob and proud of it.
What ever gets you by.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:29 PM   #10
Yardstick
Hydrophobic

Oddometer: 2,854
XC-W comes with an H4 and a fan for 2014. I would have had to buy more stuff and strip more stuff with an EXC than I would with an XC-W, so guess which way I went...

2009 KTM 950 Super Enduro Erzberg Edition
Yardstick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #11
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
I'm an XC-W snob and proud of it.
Their about as close to the same bike as one can get...I was just making a point that it's hardly compromised. I suspect your dick is probably bigger too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardstick View Post
XC-W comes with an H4 and a fan for 2014. I would have had to buy more stuff and strip more stuff with an EXC than I would with an XC-W, so guess which way I went...

You got to admit, not much difference

RideFreak screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 06:04 PM
Old 04-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,537
Nice looking bike Chris.

There are some pretty cool short climbs out there in those lava rocks.
Good place to test the suspension. How you liking the bike so far.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #13
Foot dragger
singletracker

This is the one to get really anyway

Old 04-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #14
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,218
You could get a blue one too, at least it has different plastic and subrame.

Then there's the white one with linkage.......
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:53 PM   #15
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDad View Post
Nice looking bike Chris.

There are some pretty cool short climbs out there in those lava rocks.
Good place to test the suspension. How you liking the bike so far.
Thanks Dion, It's only got about 6 miles so far so it's still a little stiff but it feels like the 300, the bike's weight is deceiving. I'm taking it out in the Puerco tomorrow with Ditch, feel like riding?

FootDragger, nice 300, it looks brand new. I heard allot of good things about the new 300s. That was my second choice if I didn't get the 500.