Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #181
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,391
BTW if anyone else needs the FSM for the 449/511 send me a PM...

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #182
sailah
Lampin' it

Got the bike out for the afternoon riding yesterday in very muddy conditions. I had the tuner plugged in but forgot the instructions so I just ran it how it came from JD. Initial impressions:

Seems it flames out less but it didn't really do that before much
Feels like it has more power, but more testing needed
About the easiest install ever

I want to say that I will put on the TE exhaust to see how bad you all have it, but honestly that seems like a lot of work. The Akro exhaust is just about perfect in my opinion. At idle its very quiet, had great sound in teh mid range, and isn't obnoxious or even too loud at full honk. It's a little long but just helps to keep the noise down.

I want to say I felt a difference in how linear the motor revved, but what I really need to do is actually go out and play with the settings. And read the instructions.

On other equipment notes, the BRP triple is hot. Love the bar position now. The HDB handguards work as advertised. I didn't have the scotts on as it was so muddy it would have been pointless. Need to get back to some faster riding to comment.

Nessmuk
Old 01-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #183
BatCountry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Thanks for the update on the JD, wondering if it will not have the impact that it does on the TE??? Although my TXE was flaming out so i am hoping the JD does smooth out those issues. Never seen the HDB hand guards before, very nice design.
BatCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #184
sailah
Lampin' it

I could be wrong but I thought the discussion on cafehusky was that an aftermarket exhaust was pretty much mandatory.

I wasn't paying too much attention to the tuner as I had not played with it so I was just hoping that the engine started

I'm sure it did make a difference but since I wasn't focused on it I don't want to give false impressions. I plan on getting out for a day and really screwing around with it and purposely making the settings way lean and way rich to see the difference.

How it was stock and how jd ships it might be like one clicker setting which is hard to distinguish on one ride. Based on what everyone has reported it makes a difference

Nessmuk
Old 01-09-2012, 04:39 AM   #185
DorsetBlue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorsetBlue View Post
Nope, but got the Special Parts red one in the post. Will post piccy when it is on the bike.
See below:

By dorsetblue at 2012-01-09

Old 01-09-2012, 04:46 AM   #186
DorsetBlue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder96 View Post
if that's true i wil have to go fix mine. I lost one of the black sub fender bolts and used the lower reflector bolt to replace it...no wyou have me wondering if I stuffed a M6 in a M8 hole????? thought it tightened up...Ill give it a check!
Finally got around to fitting the replacement sidestand retainer elastic band. This is the screw along with the type of screw I used to 'bodge' the number plate (not sure there is much difference in the head size now looking at it - oh well):

Old 01-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #187
BatCountry
Adventurer

nice ass cap!
Old 01-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #188
AZuwere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZuwere View Post
I added the tuner last weekend. I can't say I notice it does much of anything, let's see what you think.
I'll take back what I said about the tuner. Gillies and I traded bikes yesterday and there is a noticeable difference with tuner (stock exhaust) especially in punch/acceleration.

Also the P3 pipe guard arrived. Looks nice, see picture. No more burned pants.
Attached Images

'09 Vespa GTS 250
AZuwere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #189
grinder96
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Quote:
I'll take back what I said about the tuner. Gillies and I traded bikes yesterday and there is a noticeable difference with tuner (stock exhaust) especially in punch/acceleration.

Also the P3 pipe guard arrived. Looks nice, see picture. No more burned pants.
I just left a message at cafe husky but ill ask here since i don't know which one you frequent....

How long to get yours?
grinder96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #190
AZuwere
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder96 View Post
I just left a message at cafe husky but ill ask here since i don't know which one you frequent....

How long to get yours?
4 weeks from order to arrival. Sounds about like what the others are reporting, even with the holidays mixed in.
'09 Vespa GTS 250
Old 01-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #191
AZuwere
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Stock exhaust, jumper installed, map II loaded, and O2 sensor removed. I'm going to be riding with another TE449 Sunday that is 2 weeks older than mine, so we can do a bike-bike comparison.
Side by side trade off comparison shows the tuner does make a difference, so I am now a proponent of the tuner. Most noticeable was acceleration and "punch". I guess I had just forgotten how the bike ran before the tuner, as I was so new to it.

Grinder, what intraweb did you read about the cat plugging up on?
'09 Vespa GTS 250
Old 01-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #192
grinder96
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
Quote:
.............Grinder, what intraweb did you read about the cat plugging up on?
Tried to find where I read it. It was also discussed in one of the Husky threads here or at cafe husky about more fuel plugging the cat prematurely. Kind of makes sense, but no proof in the pudding!!!!
grinder96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #193
sailah
Lampin' it

I got my tuner for 189 from motorsportz. They have a link to a special page on cafehusky under their vendor page if anyone wants a deal on one.

It says on the jdtuner instructs too about exhaust to not go too rich with the stocker

Nessmuk
Old 01-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #194
BatCountry
Adventurer

Quote:
I got my tuner for 189 from motorsportz. They have a link to a special page on cafehusky under their vendor page if anyone wants a deal on one.
ah ha! well that answers my question right there. I just asked Motosportz if they sold the JD for a reduced rate. Thought i read somewhere they did... was expecting maybe $5 or $10 off but $189 that's pretty good!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #195
BatCountry
Adventurer

Hey Sailah, you said earlier in a post on dialing in the TXE's suspension that you turned all the clickers out, was this rebound and compression? I did notice on my one ride that the rebound was way out for my liking on a high speed hit i was doing the flying jack-a roo. I'm sure i'll be able to dial these in and maybe things will become a little more plush but right now, yes the stock setting are pretty aggressive to say the least. I was surprised as i'm no 160lb kid anymore, with gear, tool kit and my camelback i'm tippin 235.