User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
richmo1 OP
Just a rider

Oddometer: 131
Where to buy an extended clutch cable?

Recently added 2" risers on my F800GS. I like the risers but I need to buy a slightly longer clutch cable (it pulls at full right stop). Anybody know of a place to buy one?
Thanks.
richmo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmo1 View Post
Recently added 2" risers on my F800GS. I like the risers but I need to buy a slightly longer clutch cable (it pulls at full right stop). Anybody know of a place to buy one?
Thanks.

motion pro
Old 04-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 572
Both our F658's are fitted with ROX risers and I used clutch cables from the F800ST (K71). BMW part number 32737723131

Here in OZ I payed $73.22 each for them.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.C View Post
Both our F658's are fitted with ROX risers and I used clutch cables from the F800ST (K71). BMW part number 32737723131

Here in OZ I payed $73.22 each for them.

are the end fittings the same?
Old 04-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 572
Yes - exactly the same.

Edit: Actually just remembered that the thread on the engine end is a bit different. All it means is that the adjuster nuts are not in the middle of the available thread, not an issue and been on the bikes for over 3000km now. The Lever end is identical.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,290
I'm also running the 800ST clutch cable with my risers. As mentioned above, the threaded section of the outer sheath isn't is in the best spot. It doesn't allow for much cable adjustment (if any).

Normally there's a jam nut on either side of the mounting boss in the block but I found if I had the upper nut on, the clutch didn't have any free play so I took the top nut off and added a washer to get things adjusted properly. Other than that, it's a quick and easy swap.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

What about the st throttle cable? Would that work?
Old 04-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
What about the st throttle cable? Would that work?
Apparently 3 inches shorter than the GS cable. Credit for the cable find to inmate "Bicyclist"

Not sure how to quote a single post but it's here, post #29

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:14 AM   #9
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Here's a snippet I saved from another thread regarding the clutch cable:

Hey JR, once he explained it and once I actually got down on my knees to take a look it was really straightforward...these instructions probaby make it sound way more complicated than it actually is!:

1. Detach clutch cable from clutch. This might involve a bit of work to get enough slack to allow you to pull it away from the catch.

2. Detach clutch cable from clutch lever. Once the clutch cable is free of the clutch you should have more than enough free play to work on this. If you look at the underside of the lever housing you'll notice a notch at the bottom where you'll be able to take the cable out from.

3. You will probably have to take off some of the clips keeping the clutch cable housing bundled with the other cables, and depending on how much slack you have, may also have to loosen or remove the wire guide. Also a good time to squirt some cable lube if you feel like it's sticking.

4. At this point you should now be free to thread the cable housing through the triple clamp and to whatever position you want. I have mine just going up the inner left side of the fairing panel and this has given me enough slack at full lock with my Rox risers on.

5. Reattach the cable to the lever housing and then the clutch.

6. Stand back and bask in the satisfaction of a simple job well done.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
shedmarket
Chris

Oddometer: 428
I have the Rallye-Moto steering dampener which raises the bars about 20mm as well as the Rox 50mm risers (I am 6'4" so ideally would like more but that would look silly).

I searched everywhere for a longer clutch cable and luckily found a local bolke who makes clutch cables in is backyard shed, mostly for Harley's. He made me on for $70.00 which worked OK.

I then had a mate fit a Magura hydraulic clutch kit to his DRZ400E and found they do a kit for the F800GS. Cost around $380.00 here in Oz and is brilliant. It has the extra length so is not tight at either lock and makes changes oh so smooth and easy. My old arthritic hands used to sieze up when travelling through towns or when in really tight slow stuff. I can use this thing all day without any problem.

Fitting was a piece of cake. Remove the old cable and the clutch lever assembly on the handlebars. The hydraulic unit comes fully assembled and fully bled. Simply feed the slave cylinder assembly down along the chassis and fit to the same bracket the clutch cable went to and bolt the new clutch lever assembly to the handlebars. Took less than half an hour.

Worth every cent.
shedmarket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

bumping an old thread... where do I find a longer throttle cable?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
Bicyclist
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Can't say for sure, but when I was researching throttle cables for a Honda, these guys seemed to be the best bet.

http://www.motionpro.com/

Most of the cable guys wanted the original cable or a lot of detailed info about it, but Motion Pro told me in an email that they already had the specs and all I needed to do was tell them how much over I needed the cable to be. I dunno whether they have specs for BMW cables or not, but they will respond to an email request for info.

For my F800ST, I found the GS throttle cable to be longer and perfect for my setup. Going the other way, the ST clutch cable is longer than the GS cable.

So check with Motion Pro and see whether they can do anything for you and let us know.
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

they can do it... but need the cable.... and we leave in 23 days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclist View Post
Can't say for sure, but when I was researching throttle cables for a Honda, these guys seemed to be the best bet.

http://www.motionpro.com/

Most of the cable guys wanted the original cable or a lot of detailed info about it, but Motion Pro told me in an email that they already had the specs and all I needed to do was tell them how much over I needed the cable to be. I dunno whether they have specs for BMW cables or not, but they will respond to an email request for info.

For my F800ST, I found the GS throttle cable to be longer and perfect for my setup. Going the other way, the ST clutch cable is longer than the GS cable.

So check with Motion Pro and see whether they can do anything for you and let us know.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #14
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

installed the ST clutch and now my lever is really tight!!!! what are you guys doing with the spacers/nuts at the bottom on the clutch case?!?!?
Old 05-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #15
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Blanco View Post
I'm also running the 800ST clutch cable with my risers. As mentioned above, the threaded section of the outer sheath isn't is in the best spot. It doesn't allow for much cable adjustment (if any).

Normally there's a jam nut on either side of the mounting boss in the block but I found if I had the upper nut on, the clutch didn't have any free play so I took the top nut off and added a washer to get things adjusted properly. Other than that, it's a quick and easy swap.
With a nut instead of a washer, could that cause my clutch to be tight?