User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
Dust_ OP
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 175
Question Cardo Scala Rider G4 vs Sena SMH10 vs Interphone F4

I know there are seperate threads about these intercoms, but I really wanted was for you to share your experience and to advise me to which was the best FOR ME.

I want an intercom that wil be used for rider/pillion conversations, I'm not really into group riding. This is the fundamental point! other thing I couldn't get the answer was, will I be able to listen to music AND (whenever I want) talk to the pillion?

Can the 2 of us listen to the same music from the same Iphone? or does it have to be different mp3 players?

Finally, of the 3, which is the best? I'm inclined to the scala rider but webbikeworld.com rates sena better than the scala and say it is a little low and has a lot of problems.

Basically I'll do part of the use in SOLO riding, so a really bit plus is SOUND. The better, the happier I'll be. When 2 up, I'll want to talk to the pillion and, if we get bored, listen to some music.

Any advice for my particular helmet? (Shoei X-spirit or X-11 in the usa)

What do you recon?

Thank you =)
Dust_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
cognosticator
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
I have had both the G4 and now the Sena.

You cannot both listen to the same music source by bluetooth.

You can listen to music and the intercom will overide the music.

I like the Sena better than the G4 because it is more user friendly, has good range and is loud and clear. My wife listens to her own mp3 player and I listen to my mp3 from my Zumo 660 but when we need to talk we can.

I have no experience with the interphone so I cannot comment on it.

I have mine mounted to a Shoei Multitec and her helmet is a Scorpion 700.
Man, you were haulin' ass the other day when I passed you
cognosticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Dust_ OP
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 175
and how about sound quality? is the sena superior? or are they similar?
Dust_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
Todd34
Toubab

Oddometer: 860
I have a G4 and just switched to the Sena because I wanted to use earbuds without having to do surgery on the G4. I also switched because after not
riding all winter, I couldn't figure out how to use the G4 the way I wanted without the damn manual! And the buttons are an issue with heavy gloves.

Todd
Todd34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
marcing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Hi all,
This is good topic and I hope someone will help me with my choice.
I need to buy an intercom. Two of my friends are using Interphone F4, but I personally would go into Scala Rider G4 and now I have a problem. The G4 has good feedbacks but can I pair it with Interphone F4 ?
Or does all intercoms system work only inside the same brand ?
If yes, it looks I have no choice and if I want to connect to my friends I must buy Interphone F4, but will it allow me to connect as the 3rd device to two other to chat between three bikers at the same time ?

Regards, Marcin.
marcing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
I have the sena dual set and having some issues wit it. The response time to activate the Vox is almost 4 secs and when I want to warn my girlfriend about something on the road that is just to long. Also having some issues with system volume. Not really satisfied 100% with them right now
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie98 View Post
I have the sena dual set and having some issues wit it. The response time to activate the Vox is almost 4 secs and when I want to warn my girlfriend about something on the road that is just to long. Also having some issues with system volume. Not really satisfied 100% with them right now
Yeah well, VOX response does not operate well with ANY of the current products on the market. I have the Cardo G4 which is also a real pain regarding vox responsiveness.
Simplyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:08 AM   #8
eddie98
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyred View Post
Yeah well, VOX response does not operate well with ANY of the current products on the market. I have the Cardo G4 which is also a real pain regarding vox responsiveness.
Our old Q2's had better response, about 1 sec but no more than 2.
06 DL 650(gone) , 89 KLR 650(gone)
eddie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
jmanz6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
I have the Sena and I really like it. My wife and I use it for rider to rider intercom and I use it when riding solo for MP3 and phone. It's plenty loud and will about blow me out of the helmet if I turn it up. As far as connecting to other brands, that doesn't work for any of them. The only commonality they all have is they use Bluetooth for the connection, after that it's all proprietary between the brands. You can't pair with a different brand, period.

The Vox delay is bad on the Sena, but we dont use it and the PTT is about a 1-2 second delay. I did have to send my first set of Sena's back under warranty due to pairing issues. They replaced them with no problem and I was back up and going. Haven't had any issues with this set. Battery life on the Sena is very good. We have been out on a day long ride with the intercom open the entire time and the battery lasted the whole ride, no issue. It was approximately a 6-7 hr ride.
jmanz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
MCML
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
WebBikeWorld has some in-depth reviews of each unit and also did a comparison. Good reading for anyone considering BT intercoms.

Here's a link to get started:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...comparison.htm
MCML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #11
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCML View Post
WebBikeWorld has some in-depth reviews of each unit and also did a comparison. Good reading for anyone considering BT intercoms.

Here's a link to get started:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...comparison.htm
Yeah, well they gave the Cardo G4 System (just to name an example) 10 oout of 11 points, which stands for: outstanding to excellent......

Probably they did not read all the real life users comments here that rate that user friendlyness as rather poor and most of all unsatisfactory!

Someone here is an idiot. Let us just assume it is me and not WebBikeWorld.

Then again, I do not have to earn my daily bread in keeping good relationships with manufacturers.

The intercom gets also 10 out of 11. What a truckload of crap. I have never ever read so many complaints about the VOX initialization.

These kind of "reviews" are not in the best interest of us customers. We need something objective. A reviewer who can be trusted to base his opinions on clearly proven facts and standards and not just any man's opinion. Any reviewer you can take seriously should not have ANY relationship with the manufacturer he is reviewing from. NONE at all.

These reviews are interesting reading for times where there is nothing else to do. That's it.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:35 AM   #12
jmanz6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
As with anything, you have to do as much research as you can. I read the reviews, read the user comments, actually talk to people that have the item, even ask the dealer that sells them - if you trust them. My local dealer sells the Scala system and he says they do work pretty well. He has only had a few complaints and a few warranty returns. Another dealer sells the Sena system and said the same thing - they work pretty well for most people and they too have only had a few warranty returns. I mainly went with the Sena system because it was easier to operate, had stereo signal for my MP3 player (Scala didn't offer it at the time), an I found a good deal on a dual set thru the group buy here on ADVrider.
jmanz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:32 AM   #13
Simplyred
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanz6 View Post
As with anything, you have to do as much research as you can. I read the reviews, read the user comments, actually talk to people that have the item, even ask the dealer that sells them - if you trust them. My local dealer sells the Scala system and he says they do work pretty well. He has only had a few complaints and a few warranty returns. Another dealer sells the Sena system and said the same thing - they work pretty well for most people and they too have only had a few warranty returns. I mainly went with the Sena system because it was easier to operate, had stereo signal for my MP3 player (Scala didn't offer it at the time), an I found a good deal on a dual set thru the group buy here on ADVrider.
I hear you. But that sort of makes my point: "they do work pretty well". If you have to base your purchase decision on such statements you are buying in the blind..... aren't you?
I always ask myself: How would he know? Does he use them himself? Or does he simply not care WHAT you buy if only you buy WHATEVER you buy with HIM? "Pretty well" says nothing. You may expect ANY product that you buy does work "pretty well". When you look closer at it, "pretty well" is not good enough. It should work flawlessly. Which of course no product does. So the point is to get to understand WHICH claims of the product are TRUE (verifiable) and which are NOT.
I find forums like this one the best option to hear from inmates here how they think the product is holding up in real life. Although sometimes that is colored info as well since it is difficult to say you made the wrong decision in purchasing a product that does not function well.
Most of the time however you get good feedback from fellow forum members who own and use the product.

What strikes me is that several people who owned the G4 got rid of them and instead bought the Sena device. Such behavior tells us something. It tells, that those users are beyond "complaining" (which does not help anyway, so the fact that dealers have only little complaints also absolutely says nothing: who complains with their dealer that the vox does not work as advertised? Still it doesn't.) and decided for themselves that they see no future in holding to the G4 and tried the competitive product instead.
That is objective feedback that nobody of the dealers is going to tell you, simply because they do not know, and they are not interested in it as well. As long as you buy it, nobody gives a crap about what you do with the product and whether you are satisfied with it or not. A big mistake which is going to cost you customers in the end. In my opinion, ANY manufacturer should have close contact with his customers from time to time to check whether the product is holding up to expectations, in order to understand what needs to change. Cardo has NEVER EVER contacted me to hear from me what my experiences with the system is. Stupid. They have my info since I registered as a customer. How stupid can you be to not stay in touch with your customers? Pretty arrogant and plain stupid if you ask me?
This also goes for the dealership. They too have something to learn from my personal (or any customers personal) experience with almost any expensive product they have sold them. But no dealer gives a crap either whether you use the product with pleasure, or have thrown it in the bin 5 minutes after unpacking. They are completely busy counting your dollars then....

If dealers are participating in threads, you often see them backing out of it as soon as the conversation gets heated up with arguments and facts that are hard to impossible to refute. You should expect someone to say: "That is a good question, and you could be right. I will take this to the manufacturer for an answer and get back to you shortly". Instead, they just leave the thread and never return. Weak.

Simplyred screwed with this post 05-27-2011 at 04:40 AM
Old 05-27-2011, 06:44 AM   #14
bsquarewi
wee-nie

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_ View Post
I want an intercom that wil be used for rider/pillion conversations, I'm not really into group riding. This is the fundamental point!

Can the 2 of us listen to the same music from the same Iphone? or does it have to be different mp3 players?
Based on your order of requirements, you may want to take a look at the Chatterbox XBI. I believe it has the ability to have both rider/pillion stream from the same MP3 source. Less expensive than the other brands you listed here as well. Great mic.

The XBI's weak point (IMHO) is that it does not auto reconnect to a bluetooth phone. You have to manually initiate the connection each time you turn it on by hitting the redial button on the headset. On some phones this litterally redials the last number. The other headsets on the market (the ones you listed) all search out and connect to their paired phones when they are turned on. Other than this flaw, the XBI is a very good headset. I thought it has a great mic and was clear, but that flaw was enough for me to return it because it did not work well with my phone at the time.

It did, however, auto connect to my mp3 player when turned on, just not the phone. Not sure how it would work with an iPhone being both MP3 and phone. It may work.
bsquarewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #15
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_ View Post
I'm not really into group riding. This is the fundamental point!
Err yes, I understand...

I went for the SMH10 based on the very positive reviews and the killer price in the vendor forum.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote