Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #47
Ryman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
Day ???

What day were we on. They were starting to blend together.

It had been a long day of riding and all we had to do was cruise about 20 miles of dirt roads to San Francisquito where we could get some rest. My brain was mush and I'm sure the other two were feeling the same way. No stopping cuz then we have to start the pig. Hick and Estart go first and I clean up. What could possibly happen?? Easy. We ride through the night and me amigos put some distance on me cuz my light is pretty weak and so am I. We get to San Francisquito and I see the lights at the resort. My GPS shows the main road sweeping past the resort and then doubling back past the air strip, but I take a more direct line on a trail coming in the back way (bad decisions caused by brain mush). I pull up to the resort and am suprised to not find hick and E. I break out every word of spanish I know to arrange supper for three and a palapa. I explain that I'm missing two amigos and they explain that it's no problem they will come around on the main road. Then we see hicks HID heading back up the mountain. Shit! I jump back on my bike and run up the road to find E standing by his bike. He tells me that hick took off in a panic to try and find me. Shit! I ride after him as fast as I can, but he is several min ahead and riding with a HID light which puts mine to shame. I ride for a half hour or so and am unable to catch him. I have a close encounter with a black cow. I start passing the turnoffs to the other places in the area and all I can think is .....shit. What if he has taken one of these other roads trying to find me?? I ride back to the beach to wait.............Our host comes and finds us to relate the news that hick is at the military check point about 30 miles away! We wait for a while and finally hick shows up. He's delirious and does not eat his food at all. I'm more than a little worried about him. Then we passed out.

Utards in Baja
Old 04-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #48
Ryman OP
Studly Adventurer

San Francisquito is totally the place to be after a couple days of hard riding. The food was excellent and the scenery was incredible.

Hick and E getting to know the neighbors, who had flown in on a Cessna.

We started making real attempts at piggy repair. No better place to kill a few hours.

We swim and have hot showers! Funny how the simple things become luxury.

All good things come to an end and we force a departure from baja's little paradise. If I ever make it to Baja again, I'll spend a little more time at these cool places, but we came to ride.

Utards in Baja
Old 04-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #49
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
San Francicquito - But di you get the hot shower...agua caliente?

We never did...all cold!

Dinner for me was great, breakfast ok.

But the bed was comfy.

You apparently did NOT come in from Bay of LA. Not enuf bitching about the "road" that wad recently plowed by the Baja 1000 boys!

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #50
Ryman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcus View Post
San Francicquito - But di you get the hot shower...agua caliente?

We never did...all cold!

Dinner for me was great, breakfast ok.

But the bed was comfy.

You apparently did NOT come in from Bay of LA. Not enuf bitching about the "road" that wad recently plowed by the Baja 1000 boys!
We came via LosParedones y San Pedro. Excelent.
Maybe you're right about the shower temps, but it WAS warmer than my swim in the sea or cortez!

Utards in Baja
Old 04-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #51
The Walrus
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
We came via LosParedones y San Pedro. Excelent.
Maybe you're right about the shower temps, but it WAS warmer than my swim in the sea or cortez!

So what's your miles........and how soon did you turn back to the border.....you Baja.....sluts.........

Edit........or is that idiot......

And don't forget.......what was your smiles with those miles.......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.

The Walrus screwed with this post 04-11-2011 at 12:13 AM
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:32 AM   #52
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
This pic has potential. Cue Pluric for wit and humor.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:39 AM   #53
Ryman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
So what's your miles........and how soon did you turn back to the border.....you Baja.....sluts.........

Edit........or is that idiot......

And don't forget.......what was your smiles with those miles.......
I clocked 1750 miles total with at least double the smiles.

You may all rub my pasty white belly.

Utards in Baja
Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #54
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,496
So, as Ryman stated, he took the shortcut to San Fransisquito. We probably would have heard his bike, but I had to keep the pig humming, otherwise she would make me pay.

I asked ERock to stay where he was, and I headed off into the night. I can't remember how many miles we had ridden that day, but it was a lot. Certainly the best riding of the trip, but I was beat.

Regardless, I was worried Ryman was broke down somewhere, so off I went.

I rode for about 30 minutes, keeping an eye on the side of the road. I came across another camp, Camp Escondido, I think. Thinking maybe Ryman had headed there, and seeing lights not too far in the distance, I quickly rode down there.

I hopped off the bike, left it running propped against a fence, and practiced my Spanish on the locals...no motos aqui.

In the distance, I could see a moto light coming down the road, so I boogied back to the main road to wait. I waited and waited...and waited. Nothing. In hind sight, it was probably Ryman's light I saw, right before he turned around.

Again, I headed off into the Baja night.

Some time later, I came across a military checkpoint. There were lots of young men with guns, lots of lights in my face, and lots of questions.

Again, using my (medical) Spanish, I tried to explain that I could not "make the moto dead, because it was sick, and I can't revive it." Nothing like telling armed men that you won't follow their instructions.

Eventually I was able to explain that my friend was lost and I was worried that he was hurt. I explained that I would ride to where I last saw him, then come back.

They let me go.

Again, off into the Baja night.

Further down the road, the HID went from crystal blue, to reddish purple, to nada por nada. I think I was doing about 30 mph when the world went black.

"Just ease to a stop," I was thinking to myself.

Making sure the bike didn't die, I eased off the saddle, and bitch-slapped the light until it started working again.

I rode until I came to the point I had last seen Ryman...the same place we had encountered a herd of cattle in the middle of the road. I searched that area for a time looking for tell-tale signs of a wreck, a raping, or a beastial encounter. Nothing.

Up until this time, I wasn't really worried, because Ryman is a pretty resourceful guy. I knew that short of being in an unconscious state, Ryman would walk, crawl, or pull himself back to the road where he could be found. However, now I was really worried he was completely off the road, and hurt too bad to make it back to the road. I also began freaking out that I would be having "the conversation" with his wife.

Back to the military checkpoint. Again, lots of questions, guns, and lights in my face. Unfortunately, none of them bothered to tell me that the folks in San Fransisquito had radioed to tell them Ryman was already kickin' back with a beverage.

Back into the night, slower this time, looking for signs of carnage.

It's strange what one remembers, but as I rode closer to SF, I noticed a blinking light amongst the lights of the villa. "I don't remember that blinking light," I thought.

I stopped the bike, and blinked my light back. This time the blinking came back to me more rapid.

"Someone is signaling me," I thought, "but that is not the direction ERock and I went."

Needless to say, it was ERock signaling me with his headlamp. I found a road going in the direction of the light (the same road Ry had taken), and came upon ERock. Man, I was relieved to hear Ryman was fine.

In spite of not eating for hours, I couldn't stomach much food. I rehydrated, and passed out.

Video from the road after Calamajue Wash:

Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #55
Greg@RME
Mis-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
I don't know any of you, but you guys are my heroes... Thanks for sharing, I want to go back to Baja... and NOW!
Greg@RME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #56
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
I searched that area for a time looking for tell-tale signs of a wreck, a raping, or a beastial encounter. Nothing.

I love this sentence, coming from a Utard ex-pat and all.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #57
Ryman OP
Studly Adventurer

I wonder why hick gets so uptight about cows in the road??

Utards in Baja
Old 04-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #58
trevor2k
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Damn! Now I'm really pissed I let you stash your bikes and my place and didn't throw mine on the truck and hide in the back. I would've been the only guy sneaking into Mexico! Great RR guys. Glad you had fun and I was able to help.
trevor2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #59
Ryman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor2k View Post
Damn! Now I'm really pissed I let you stash your bikes and my place and didn't throw mine on the truck and hide in the back. I would've been the only guy sneaking into Mexico! Great RR guys. Glad you had fun and I was able to help.
Thanks again Trevor! You Rock!

Utards in Baja
Old 04-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #60
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor2k View Post
Again, a million thanks.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote