Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #76
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryman View Post
We get to San Ignacio in time to find a cool camp. We cruise around town and get fuel, food, evening supplies. Life is good and I'm hitting that three day mellow that I always wait for when on vacation. Hick is excited about his new girlfriend at the supermercado. We chill and watch the afternoon turn into evening by the water.

On several trips to the outdoor urinal I notice several HUGE beady eyed arachnids. At first I think it's cool, but as the light dissapears I notice that my LED light is making their eyes light up, exposing the little bastards. They are everywhere. Hundreds of them. I point out the situation to hick and E and they don't show any concern. They fall asleep and I sit on my tarp watching their numbers increase. I normally don't have any problem with wild animals, but these little fuckers were bugging me.........bad. What kind of spiders are they?? Are they poisonous?? Are they aggressive??

F u spiders..........we are not a midnight snack!

I get my bivy sack out and zip myself up in a cocoon and try to sleep, waking up dozens of times in a twitchy panic caused my my insane lapse of arachnophobia. I am glad when the sun comes up and I'm not expected to sleep any more. Lets Ride!

I believe that is the hobo spider.

http://www.onewest.net/~dkv/hobospider/

Nasty!
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #77
Ryman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
I don't know exactly what kind of spiders they were, but this IS was I remember seeing. I stood there for a long time trying to remember just what a recluse looked like and I had my self convinced that that is what I was dealing with. Baja does have the brown recluse. That's why it was tripping me out so bad. You don't wanna get bit by one of those beady eyed little bastards!

Utards in Baja
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=674444
Ryman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:38 AM   #78
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,496
Morning in San Ignacio.

Morning was spent traveling through really cool villages like La Purisma. Small villages sitting on oases of palms. School children in uniforms who all motion for us to pop wheelies on our way through town.

Soon, the water dries up and we are back in the desert.

We are cruising fast and making good time. We experience our first taste of silt, and the BRP doesn't like it at all; starts running poorly again.

The road opens up and we are all flying along in top gear. Ryman is in the lead, I am second, and ERock is cleaning up.

I come across a washed-out piece of road while in top gear and donkey-kick myself into a front-wheel ride that lasts too long. I recover by using accessory pathways (off the road and into the bush), but I keep her upright. The reality of our isolation hits me, so I slow down.

Soon after, I see a huge cloud of dust, and in the middle of it all is Ryman waving his arms over his head as if to get my attention. I slow waaay down, and see his bike on its side, pointing in the wrong direction.

I will let Ryman tell the rest of the story. However, I will say this, when in Baja and you see a side-road, there is a reason for it.

As Ryman pulls himself back together, I pull apart the airbox and find my filter soaked in silt. I clean it, dry it, and we are back on our way.

Now I am running clean up. We get to the next silt bed, and the BRP flat out dies in the middle of it. I am stranded in the middle of sand that has the consistency of powdered sugar. By this time in the trip, we know she won't start unless she is on her kickstand so one can giver her a really good kick. However, I flail for a few minutes trying to get her started. There isn't even any compression through the stroke, so I finagle a way to keep her upright while I go through the process of cleaning the air filter again.

When cleaning an air filter in the middle of a silt bed, steady hands are vital.

Ryman came back as I was re-assembling the bike. He informed me that ERock was ahead with a flat tire. He helped me push it out of the silt bed to solid ground, and we got her started again.

Further down the road, the BRP dies again after another smaller silt bed. Again no compression. She just sucks silt through the water drain on the bottom of the airbox. I send Ryman ahead to help Erock with his tire change, and I proceed to clean the air filter again.

Eventually, I am up and running again. I find Ry and ERock in the semi shade of a tree with our only (pseudo) flat tire of the trip.

We finished the day with Tacos Pecados on Scorpion Bay. Our intent was to continue on, but the BRP was running so poorly, we opted to rent a palapa and do some work on the bike.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #79
Ryman OP
Studly Adventurer

Me go fast.......Crash hard.

Utards in Baja
Old 04-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #80
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick View Post
We finished the day with Tacos Pecados on Scorpion Bay.
There are worse ways to end a day aren't there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
TemeculaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #81
GISkev
wwfsmd?

Oddometer: 1,723
BRP = King of Baja (i heard on the webbernets)

BRP: no compression = valves out of spec. I just did my valves after about 1000 miles and the intakes wouldn't jiggle. exhaust were fine. this is the reg, and the way we honk these things i'm sticking to the recommended 600 mile interval (except i loose track, since sometimes that's a day and a half)

vide0: Hick, those bovine don't know ADV sign language.

SPIDERS: backpacking around the Yucatan years ago, I'm waking up in my hammock strung up in a palapa (sp?) and it's warm so i'm sleeping in the buff, and i peel back my light sleeping bag and one of those huge spiders dropped from the thatch roof directly onto my BALLLZZZZZZZZ!!!! I sh!t you not that i levitated out of the hammock w/ the shear terror of that thing on my nutz. Did it look at my junk and think it was a threat?! I don't know, but my reaction got everyone else out of bed in a blink and it was jumping around on everyone's packs and people didn't know whether to jump back into their hammock or defend their gear, and scared enough to not even notice that my package was still exposed.

--GoProHero Helmet Cam!--http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...y=utahkev&aq=f
5 deserts:http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post15462553
KTM 520 (plated), Wee-Strom (commuter bike)
GISkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:56 AM   #82
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,042
The spider thought it was his mommy!
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #83
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
You dudes are hilarious. Well done.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #84
Ryman OP
Studly Adventurer

Just Another Day

Actually it was another totally kick ass day of Baja mania! For some reason I have very few pics from this day, so I'll just bore you with some blah blah blah.

We rode south out of San Ignacio and I was glad to leave Camp Spiderville. I was surprised to find the road heading south paved for many miles??? It was killing my buzz at first, but then I realized that I didn't give a squirt of piss about what surface I was riding on. I was in Baja, living a dream that we had been planning for a year! I remember having this overwhelming sense of freedom. Standing up. Cold air chilling my bones. Is this moment even possible?? Excellent!

As we hit the dirt Edog realized he had an oil line that was about to rub through. We searched around and found some spare parts on the side of the road to fix it. This was about the third time that we had found needed parts on the side of the road. Gotta love Baja.

We rode for a long time without stopping. Nobody wanted to start the pig again. Dirt roads, faded to rocky trails, and then to sand track and wash. I remember the first silt bed. I rode through it thinking that sucked. I rode for another 30 min or so because the trail was so fun. The my sense of responsibility kicked in and I stopped to make sure my amigos were still with me. They were.

We rode a bit further and finally saw the Pacific Ocean for the first time. We hit a main road heading south to San Juanico, but not before passing a small ranch house. I noticed a satellite dish and a pimped out Ranger. An old Mexican dude flagged me down and handed me a note. The note was all about how he was poor and his well had gone dry and his cows were dying and blah blah blah blah. I was about to get off the bike so I could kick him in the balls when I see hick shrug his shoulders and give the guy a couple hundred pesos. We ride off and I'm a little embarassed about my flash of temper. I'm glad hick gave him some money. I think we were riding through his ranch.

Then within about a three mile stretch, we have all sorts of trouble. Hicks bike gets siltafied, I eat total shit doing about 60, and Erock gets a flat. WTF! BTW a little advice about riding in Baja. Just because the road is straight and inviting doesn't necessarily mean you should be hauling ass. In fact I think I had just gotten through telling hick about how I like to ride at a controlled pace for safety and blah blah blah when I took a total header. I paced off my body slide at 28 meters and feel very very lucky to not have even one scratch on my body! My ribs were sore on both sides for about five days, but other that that I was totally fine.

BTW I would pay big money for video footage of Kev's balls getting attacked by a spider! That is some funny shit!

Utards in Baja
Old 04-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #85
Ryman OP
Studly Adventurer

South of San Ignacio.

Scorpion Bay
IMG_2405

Footpeg Carnage
IMG_2406

Palapa Wrenching Session
IMG_2407

The doc performing surgery.
IMG_2411

Valve Adjustment.....Mexico Style.
IMG_2413

Utards in Baja
Old 04-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #86
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Is that it? Can we fast forward to the death of a swing arm?

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #87
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,496
Slab Day.

Because of the mechanical issues, we needed to make up some time. You hear lots about how great the off road riding is in Baja, but little is ever said about how good the slab is as well.

Baja history abounds in almost every restaurant.

Back way into Mike's Sky Ranch. It's a really good idea to do this trail on really big bikes int he dark.

Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #88
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
I did that back way into Mike's on a KLR with nearly bald tires with Baja 1000 pre-runner traffic doing 60 mph past me. It was my first trip to Mike's Sky Ranch and man was I disappointed when I got there. Rude people and lousy, expensive food in a dark, filthy little room. Never again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
TemeculaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #89
Ryman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeculaRider View Post
I did that back way into Mike's on a KLR with nearly bald tires with Baja 1000 pre-runner traffic doing 60 mph past me. It was my first trip to Mike's Sky Ranch and man was I disappointed when I got there. Rude people and lousy, expensive food in a dark, filthy little room. Never again!
Hmmm. We had a MUCH different experience. Great room. Great people. Excellent food. Our afternoon adventure was spectacular. Did I say good food?

Utards in Baja
Old 04-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #90
brad21
Farting in a Fan

Oddometer: 3,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeculaRider View Post
Yeah, we didn't have the best experience there either. Expensive yes, and a rude, drunk bartender that thought we short changed him. He was mistaken. And drunk.

BRC Member #49252 JOIN TODAY! https://www.sharetrails.org/support/join-or-contribute
brad21 is offline   Reply With Quote