Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
smokeeater495
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
I'm just starting a B50 based street tracker build. Does anyone know of a good B50 engine for sale?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #17
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,312
great thread, I had a 441 for a short time, but am into T100C now. for you 250 fans rent cycles south, its on net flix, they start on Bsa250 switch to kawasakis...
I remember BSA-ish Clews Stroka's showing up a puyallup MX track in early 70's, hauled ass, won too very fast, but riders didnt have them long.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #18
twodogsf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Bsa 441

Anybody know how to wire up one with Boyer electronic ing. and a Tympanium regulator, I just bought a 69 and I have no spark, I don't believe it is wired right, plus it looks like it has a capacitor on it also, a little blue looking cyl. with 2 post on it that wires are going to. Any help would be greatly appreciated
twodogsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,553
the Boyer need 10 volts MINIMUM to fire correctly.... some want as high as 11v. it has been done with a capacitor but I never thought that was too reliable sometimes had to do a lot of kicking to get the bike going. one ritual goes like this... charge the cap by kicking with the ignition off.... then get to the tdc point, turn on the ignition & kick.

the headlight must be off or you will never get a good enough charge.... this had been used as an anti theft device.

you can get a small 12v battery used in emergency lighting & stick in the system... thats what I did on a few

I think there is another module by Lucas/Rita that works better when no battery but is way more bucks... I never tried it though

ps.... if the Boyer has never been completely installed it has to be timed with a strobe & the engine running.

you can use a battery charger for power to get it started just to see whats up

the Tympanium is a straight up regulator/rectifier so it just has AC in and DC out.... no surprises. you run it straight to the battery plus. I'll see if I can find a pic of how I used to do them

and oh ya... when you get it running.... if for some reason it suddenly starts popping and acting like it's out of time.... the voltage is too low. thats how the Boyer reacts. I had a cell go bad on a battery on one bike.... ran ok wot, but man what fireworks when you backed off.... snortin & poppin... untill it quit all together. (battery made a couple years though & was fine until one day it just quit)

Beezer screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 01:19 PM
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #20
twodogsf
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Beezer,Looks like the blue cyl. is a Mallory, I have a new battery in it also, it seems to me that the po wired for pos. ground plus neg. ground, I found a diagram on the web, but it was for a twin, looks to be close, the white wire on the Boyer he has going to a ground on the frame but the diagram I found shows it going to the ign. anybody have a diagram sitting around?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:38 PM   #21
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,553
yo 2 dogs... you should spend some time on the brit bike forum. some really good guys there. I used to hang out there a lot... I was/am member 137 . I have since sold off all my right side shifters because I'm senile and can't keep it straight anymore.

dump the zener of course... not required. if you have a battery you can dump the capacitor too. forget positive ground... the diagram in the post below shows a neg ground system

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbth...&Number=343593

and mebby...

http://raskcycle.com/techtip/webdoc16a.html

can't find a pic, but I used to take the zener out of the heat sink & mill a flat spot between the fins... mount the tympanium (or Podtronics) there... looked like it belonged there... OEM

Beezer screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 11:47 PM
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #22
twodogsf
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb 441

Thanks again Beezer, I did not know I could take a pos. ground sys. and go to the neg. ground, I will get rid of the cap. and go neg. ground because it looks like most of it is wired that way
twodogsf
Old 04-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #23
kickback
Captain Normal

Oddometer: 2
Victor Roadster

Hi.: I just got a derelict 67 B44 Victor Roadster and am in the process of restoring it. Had one back in the late seventies. Hard to start with English weather and standard Lucas electricary. Yours look great. Lets do a B44 owners ride. I'm in Scarborough WA.
kickback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #24
kickback
Captain Normal

Oddometer: 2
Sorry 2 dogs. I'm still in the 60's were computers are concerned. I thought was replying to original thread.
Just wired mine up with same kit your using. Wasn't sure if the old Boyer that came with my bike would work. Word is that wiring them wrong will stuff them up and some mad ba.... had been at this. Wiring was like the harness from the space shuttle disemboweled and hanging out the battery area. there was house wiring in there and all sorts of great ideas.
I kept hacking away and after a time, with most of it gone, i started to make some sense out of it. Belted in the Pazon rectifier ( I bought it last year for my blue Lightning and never got round to fitting it)..Spark..yipee. 2 loud laps of the front garden and she died in a cloud of smoke.
After spending the day trying to get her going again a good friend (lawnmower mechanic) asked to see the spark. it was the wrong color apparently ( I didn't realize petrol was so particular but it seems the spark should be yellow not blue!)
New plug, that fixed it. Instructions with the rectifier say it is best rubber mounted close to the battery. So i strapped it to the battery ( the alarm batteries are smaller so there is room) which is rubber mounted. Have you got yours sorted yet? if not I've got wiring Diagrams for pos earth. Cheers
kickback is offline   Reply With Quote