User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
Some Dude OP
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,675
Husqvarna TE511/449 vs BMW G450X

Well I was finally able to spend some quality time on the new Husqvarna TE511 off road on some two track at Windrock/Coal Creek, a rocky and muddy ORV park in TN this past weekend.

My baseline is a 2009 BMW G450X with upgraded Ohlins TTX rear shock and WP48mm front forks with TTX cartridge inserts. Also equipped with Scott's steering stabilizer, SpeedBrain Akra header and BMW Akra muffler, Power Commander V and Speedbrain seat(which is significantly harder then stock believe it or not ) For dual sporting I always use 15/48 stock gearing, for this park I ran 14/47 which was about perfect. Also have a 3.2 gallon custom CF tank for extra capacity) However don't think I'm not familiar with a stock G450X, have one of those in the garage too

Initial impression just standing or sitting on the TE511 in the showroom/shop was nothing out of the ordinary and ergo's felt good enough for a 235lb/6.2"/34"inseam kinda guy. Once riding I felt very at home on the bike standing on the pegs or seated. Front forks felt great for an out of the box setting and rear too except too softly sprung in the rear for me and just about right up front for casual dual sporting. The TE511 seemed to handled water breaks just fine and I'd have to say this is the best suspended out of the crate HSQ I've ever been on and superior to the 09 and 10 G450X in initial suspension set-up. If I would have taken another loop, I would have cranked up on rear re-bound and compression, but I'm sure a lot of that was because it was under sprung in the rear for my riding weight which is easily over 260lbs with all the gear. You can feel the bike is a tad wider at the pegs, it's not your imagination, but I was far from bow-legged like riding an HP2 off-road. Seat is also one of the more comfy stock seats I've been on and it's nice that it has a pan that can be re-foamed and covered easily as opposed to the G450X where you have to buy an aftermarket seat that is harder then OEM from the start. Rear fender wasn't any issue transitioning for obstacles and moving around on the bike was as effortless as anything I'm used to.

EFI was also very good in comparison to previous Husky offerings and right on par with the G450X (pretty much the same management system and such) However I found it odd that the TE511 has more engine vibes then the G450X, not sure if it's the frame or internal differences in the engine, but the TE511 definitely had a little more "character" then the G450X, however still much smoother then a TE450/510 (with counter balancer). I took a TE449 for a quick buzz down the street to see if it was a displacement thing and both TE449 and 511 are just marginally buzzier then the G450X and since the G450X is almost electric, that ain't bad! lol

The Gearing,..........well just about anyone who has read any of my past comments will guess where this is going. The TE gearing would be great for cross country competition like on a TXC, however for a dual sporter it's just not as good as the G450X for me. The G450/449/511 powerplant has a very linear and broad power band, but having too short of gearing makes it almost more work to ride whether you're hauling butt or just cruising up the trail at a pleasurable pace. The TE511 had stock sprockets and I'm not sure going up any wouldn't have been much of a benefit as first gear felt just right and never got much over 50mph in the terrain we were riding. However my G450 on the same trails with 14/47 gearing (slower then stock) was still spread out better for both spirited and putt putt riding. If only HSQ would offer a TE with a wide ratio PLEASE!!!! Don't get me wrong, the gearing ratio will work just fine, but it could be better for a bike with such a wide range of potential riding conditions. Clutch operation and modulation was great, although I'm not rushing out to adapt a hydro on the G450X, just don't see that much of a benefit when a spare cable is very easy to pack in the tote for my weekend get-aways.

Ok for the bad, the rear tag/turn signal holder lasted all of 20 miles of a 22 mile loop on 2 track jeep type trails in an ORV park, the last two miles it was beat to death by the rear tire hanging on by one of the turn signal wires. Washing the TE511 is a PAIN if you've been in the mud, took about 12 minutes to wash off 22 miles of muck vs 5 minutes to do the G450X with 75 miles of muck on it. All the angles under the TE's fenders are great at letting mud collect and hang on and the CTS frame configuration combined with all the lower framing really collects and hides the mud.

Overall great engine and ergos, would have loved a real off-road tire instead of the Karoo's in the mucky spots we found, but we made it through and I'm sure the CTS aided in that just as it has on the G450X. I'm used to power sliding everywhere on the HP2 with Karoos so it didn't take much adapting to make a few of the hill climbs.

Now off to do some more detailing to make this "Demo" TE511 look new again
Old 05-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,329
Thanks for the feedback! I just picked up a TE511 and look forward to getting it on the trails soon. That rear fender thing has to go before it breaks off and I lose my tag.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
yogavnture
yogavnture

Oddometer: 16
please warn others of riding 511 on highway

I am returning a new te511 to dealer . for a penalty. I bought the bike as a dual sport . as it was advertised.......its a dirt bike with plates not a dual sport. a dual sport is my 2006 te 610............im very unhappy ......I think my husky days are over. im going to see if ktm is better for me ......690 enduro
yogavnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
blaster11
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogavnture View Post
I am returning a new te511 to dealer . for a penalty. I bought the bike as a dual sport . as it was advertised.......its a dirt bike with plates not a dual sport. a dual sport is my 2006 te 610............im very unhappy ......I think my husky days are over. im going to see if ktm is better for me ......690 enduro
Sorry to hear about your situation! What was it that bothered you or that it wasn't capable of doing that you wanted it to do?