Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #1
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Where is mileage info stored - gauges or BMSK?

Hey guys,

Does anybody know where the mileage info is stored? I'm going to buy a second hand gauge cluster as the original is broken, but want it to display the correct mileage of my bike.

Thanks,
Lukas
Old 04-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #2
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
I know that you are getting at least partially BS'ed, I got the same thing from many dealers. I guess it's mostly them being clueless about non-standard procedures, though.

I can already tell you that lights, signals, heated grips etc will work just fine without the cluster as I tried that myself. And a guy from a German forum once told me that he got a used one and it worked fine without any recoding whatsoever. Unfortunately I lost his email so I can't ask if it's showing the right mileage or the donor bike one.

What's broken on your current cluster, anything useable at all? The top cover is available seperately from BMW, but nothing else is unfortunately.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
The mileage must also be recorded on the BMS-K, because when I plug in the GS911, it gives me the mileage as well as other parameters such as the total number of hours the engine has been run.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
AlanI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Every year when the bike is put into winter storage I remove the battery. Upon replacing it the following season the instruments show me the correct total mileage but the trip meters are reset to zero. The fuel level also gives a false reading but when ridden a couple of miles the computer *relearns* and displays the correct reading. Also displayed upon reconnection of the battery is the next service due date and this display is repeated upon each start up. This next service due date is dependent upon the date setting in the computer which in turn is dependent upon the battery being connected. A quick trip to my dealer is required to reset the date using their computer.

When last visiting a few weeks ago I inquired as to why the odometer stand remains correct but the trip meters reset to zero. The answer I received in short was that all items that are either user resettable (trip meters) or variable such as the fuel level are stored in temporary memory within the instrument display which relies on continuous current from the battery. Items not of a temporary nature i.e. the odometer reading is stored written to permanent flash memory within the main computer and cannot be altered/tampered with by either the owner or in fact the dealership.
AlanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,290
It's not as simple as "saved here or saved there". I dumped my bike with 9000km on it, destroyed the cluster. I was in Mongolia at the time and didn't get a new cluster until I got to Munich.

When I installed the new cluster, the milage read 9000km even though we had ridden 12,000km (according to my gps and my friends odometer) since the old cluster was damaged.

If mileage is saved on the cluster, it should have read 0km as it was new. If mileage is saved on the ECM, it should have read 21,000km.

I'm guessing here, but it seems that the VSS input is sent to the cluster which reads it and displays it on the gauge. The info is only recorded on the ecm after its be processed by the cluster.

It's seems to be neither one or the other but both. Maybe there's another explanation but I can't think of it!

My odo reads 51,000km but is actually 63,000km.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #6
Freerk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Your guessing might be right. The mileage is written into the ECM in intervals, by the cluster. Like every minute or so. When travelling at highway speeds and shutting off the engine (at a petrol station) you can sometimes watch some miles beeing dropped when you turn it back on.
Freerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
The info is stored in the instrument cluster, and each one is coded to the bike.
In other words you can not swap gauges, and dealers can't re-code them to your bike. You have to get a new one that's coded from the factory.

Without the instrument cluster the bike did run, but I'm told all the switching goes through that cluster, like signals, heated grips, lighting, etc. so forget about replacing it with an aftermarket cluster.
Even when I purchased my new cluster it had to be programmed at the dealership for my specific bike. Maybe you can reprogram a different (used) cluster but it would likely have to be done at the dealership. I'm sure they'd rather sell you a new one that help you install a used one.

I don't recall there being any other functions affected when the cluster was gone. Everything seemed to work fine

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote