Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,225
MapSource Basic Familiarization - Tutorial - Draw Routes - Part 5

DISCLAIMER: I am not an expert, nor is this tutorial for experts. I am just trying to help those new to MapSource

You have now completed Part 4 and are ready to learn the basics of drawing a route.

I find drawing routes easier and much more intuitive than building tracks. It's sort of the same process but different. It takes much less time to build a route.

So what is the difference between a "Track" and a "Route"?

A "Track", simply put is a line that you follow on your GPS. It may also contain points to denote places along the way (Waypoints). It is very basic but very accurate. It is most often with the terrain is tough such as one track that is technical with a lot of turns. In this instance you don't want pop ups on your screen telling you where to turn.

A "Route" on the other hand gives your GPS the ability to display pop ups with turn by turn information. It will tell you when to turn and how far that turn is up ahead. It still follows a line but gives you turn by turn directions.

We will begin by opening a blank page of MapSource

Next choose where you will be starting and ending your proposed route. Once you have that information, drop two waypoints. One at the start of the route and one and the end. So go ahead and choose the waypoint tool and drop a beginning and ending waypoint. When finished you should have a screen that looks similar to this one.

Now that you have your route waypointed at beginning and at the end on your new map project we will complete the route.

To do this you will need to look in the left pane of MapSource. Find the "Waypoints" tab and click it open

This is what you will see

Next you need to highlight your two waypoints. To get the route flowing in the correct direction you need to click the waypoint in order of visitation. In this example we highlight the "Begin Route" first and "End Route" second. Use the "control" button to highlight multiple waypoints. So, highlight the "Begin Route" waypoint, then hold down the control key and highlight the "End Route" waypoint. If done correctly this will cause the waypoints on the right map pane to highlight in yellow.

Now we will connect the waypoints with a route line. To do this you will right click with both waypoints highlighted

Now to build the route line click "Create Route using Selected Waypoints"

After clicking you will see the Route Properties window

In the route properties window untick the "autoname" box, then rename the route to what you want it to be in the "Name" box.

After renaming click "ok". This will serve two functions, the route has been renamed, and the route has been built.

You now have a basic insight as to how to build a route. But lets take this further. Lets say that you don't like the route as it was drawn and want to change it. This fairly easy to do. First go to your open map and click on the "Selection" tool. Move the tool down to your route (somewhere near the middle), now click the route line and pull the selection tool up.

Take the route selection cursor and move it onto your route line somewhere in the middle. Now click on the route line a second time (after clicking in on the map, not the route pane), don't hold the click to drag, release the botton. Now you should have a rubber band line stuck to the end of the pointer with a new "+<" icon. Move the pointer to the point on the map that you want the new via point to be, and click to release the rubber band again.

Once you have found the road that you want to divert the route too release the mouse key and the route will snap to the new location

Now that you know how to "pull" a route into place lets look at another way to build a route.

You can build your route point by point by multiple clicks of the route tool.

Place your route tool where you wish to begin the route and left click on it

Next bring the cursor just past/after (**see below the slide for an explanation) the next intersection or turn on your route and left click again. You will see a route line drawn in magenta.

Blue Waypoint flags will appear where you left click. The few of these you drop on your route the better. **To insure an a better view of your turns on the screen of your GPS you want to drop the route point just past the intersections you wish to turn at. This helps prevent the "turn here" popups from obscuring your view of the intersection as you approach it (think blind corner).

Next continue the route by going from point to point until you have arrived at your predetermined destination. When finished the route should look something like this.

So now you have your route. Some will be satisfied with the route as shown but I like to put waypoints along the route to denote the route starting and ending places, gas stops, and places to eat or camp.

To do this choose the waypoint flag from your tool bar. Move the cursor to your start place and left click to drop a waypoint. Next assign a waypoint name and symbol.

Now you can go back and drop waypoints for fuel, eats and the ending point of your route.

You need to work with this program a bit. It has some quirks buy using it frequently will allow you to become proficient with it's use.

There are many other ways to manipulate the route but to keep it basic we will stop here. I hope this series of tutorials helps someone and relieves the stress and reduces the learning curve of using the MapSource program.

The next section is Join Tracks - Part 6.

You will find more MapSource tutorials HERE. (Scroll to the bottom)

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 05-02-2011 at 08:50 AM
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,312
thank you very much
Dansrc51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

Glad it helped, have fun.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,627
Thank you teacher.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:19 AM   #5
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
How do we get all these lessons sticked together so they don't get lost. Moderator? bete.
bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
How do we get all these lessons sticked together so they don't get lost. Moderator? bete.
Bete, They are all together HERE. Scroll to the bottom.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #7
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Thank you once again Charlie, I'm kind of glad your laid up so you had time to do these. Not really, get better soon. bete.
bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #8
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Oddometer: 460
In the lesson #5 you've shown the dragging technique for altering a route created between two points. I worked on this for an hour yesterday checking all the settings I could find and this wouldn't work for me. When I used the selection tool after selecting the route and clicking on the path to drag a point to a new location, the only this that I can get to happen is to designate an area that looks like drawing a rectangle but then nothing happens when I release the mouse click. I am unable to actually select a point on the route/path and move that point to a new location. Any suggestions?

This is using MapSource that came on my DVD with my recent purchase of the Garmin Legend I purchased.

I have been forced to draw the route point by point using different legs of a long trip, day by day, because I can't create a long route automatically and I can't draw a long route because I exceed the allowable number of route markers for plotting.
LIMNCS #51
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:08 AM   #9
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
In the lesson #5 you've shown the dragging technique for altering a route created between two points. I worked on this for an hour yesterday checking all the settings I could find and this wouldn't work for me. When I used the selection tool after selecting the route and clicking on the path to drag a point to a new location, the only this that I can get to happen is to designate an area that looks like drawing a rectangle but then nothing happens when I release the mouse click.
When you click the route a second time (after selecting it on the map, not in the route pane), don't hold the click to drag, release the button. You should now have a rubber band line stuck to the end of the pointer with a new "+ <" icon. move the pointer to the point on the map you want the new via to be and click (and release) again.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #10
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole

SteveW, thanks for straightening that out. I hope you don't mind but I've incorporated your explanation into the tutorial.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #11
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Ok, back to the drawing board, literally. Let me try this technique because I was clicking and holding the click to drag like so many other programs.

To paraphrase:

1. Click "Select" tool
2. Click to select the route to be modified (do not hold)
3. Click a point on the path of the route (do not hold), pointer should change to +< (or something like this)
4. Move "rubber band" to the new destination and click to drop new route point
5. Mapsource will reroute through new route point to final destination

This is what I am going to try tonight to see if'n I have it correct.
LIMNCS #51
Old 05-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
To paraphrase:

1. Click "Select" tool
2. Click to select the route to be modified (do not hold)
3. Click a point on the path of the route (do not hold), pointer should change to +< (or something like this)
4. Move "rubber band" to the new destination and click to drop new route point
5. Mapsource will reroute through new route point to final destination

This is what I am going to try tonight to see if'n I have it correct.
Yep. When you click the route to select it, the colour should darken slightly. Then you know it's active. In the good old 6.13.7 days it actually changed colour, but in newer version of MapSource it just darkens.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #13
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Yup, it worked. Thanx, I'm guessing maybe if'n I could read the instructions closer, juz maybe I'd figure it out.
LIMNCS #51
Old 05-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Thanks for all the effort, very helpful
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #15
TRZ Charlie OP
That's MR. Asshole